Football Gameplan's 2013 NFL Draft Grades - Jets

EmDiggy

Good afternoon Jets fans! Here's my draft gradest video for you guys

Enjoy!

Em

I watched your final mock draft video afterwards to see how consistent you are...good job...I think maybe a B+ was more deserved :)

And since you werent a typical doosh and didnt feel the need to pile on the Jets because its the popular thing to do...I subscribed...keep up the consistent quality work...I will make it a point to watch the other grades.

Good evaluation on balance.

Thing is I don't understand someone saying the Jets didn't address any offensive skill positions when they took the draft's top QB and then used a 4th round pick on a sure thing to win the starting RB spot. To me, QB and RB are offensive skill positions.  

Dismissing Ivory's addition because he hasn't played a 16-game season in the NFL is a bit harsh, considering that none of the players drafted last month have either.  At least we know Ivory isn't overmatched at the NFL level and most definitely - yes, when healthy - can be a major asset on offense.  Simply drafting a RB in his stead doesn't ensure that (particularly in rounds 4 or later).  If it was that simple, Joe McKnight or Bilal Powel (or both) would be tearing up defenses and we wouldn't have had a need at the position.  Rookie RBs also leave a lot desired in blocking.  I'm thrilled with Ivory, and if he doesn't get hurt we got a beast with our 4th round pick.  Plus he's still very cheap and very young; this is a low risk / high reward acquisition.  

Simply using a pick on a big name from college ensures nothing.  Know how many pro bowl or all-pro RBs were drafted in the last 3 drafts combined? Zero. The year before that there were 3 RBs taken in round 1 and they all suck.  McCoy was the 4th one taken and represents the only one - out of over 100 RBs drafted in the 4 prior drafts - with a single season of pro bowl/all-pro honors.

So simply drafting a college player at a position doesn't mean you've done an adequate job of filling your team's need.  We have two young RBs on the team, for pretty cheap, who will be under contract until 2016.  RB was not a "need" position to draft with those two, and might not be for a while if they hold up.

I'd rather shore up positions where they got great value than reach for a skill position of lesser value (at their draft slot) simply to fill a sexier position first.  The Jets had so many needs in so many places I don't think it's necessary to address certain ones prior to others based on the position.  We aren't winning a SB this season so don't ruin a draft by trying to win a SB this year by drafting for position.

This was a deep in-the-trenches draft and the Jets (smartly in my opinion) drafted where the value was.  Luckily (lol) we have so many needs it's not like we were sacrificing.  There will be other drafts that will be deeper in offensive skill positions.  In those drafts the Jets won't need to reach for anyone on the OL or DL because the positions have (hopefully) been well shored-up this year for some time.  Possibly we'll need a RT but they can be found all over every draft or in any off-season without breaking the bank (Miami waited until after the initial FA wave, then after draft, & still were able to fill their RT spot in FA for $3.5M with a good veteran like Clabo).  So the Jets will be able to overload in future drafts at positions of need in drafts that are represented better at those positions.

Archived