Cimini: Aussie Making His Move at TE

flgreen

Aussie making his move at tight end

June, 7, 2013
Jun 7

5:22

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Hayden Smith arrived a year ago, a former international rugby star with no experience in organized football. He never wore a helmet, never put on shoulder pads, never ran a pass route. The most basic aspects of football -- i.e. mastering the quarterback cadence -- were a challenge.

"If you've never played football, it's hard to sit on the line," Smith recalled of his not-so-long-ago neophyte days. "You have to know what the cadence is and you don't want to jump and be edgy."

Smith has come a long way in a relatively short time. The 6-foot-6, 255-pound Australian was one of the bright spots during OTAs, impressing with his dramatic improvement. Instead of worrying about where to line up and trying to remember his assignment on each play, Smith actually made plays, including a couple of acrobatic receptions.

"Coming in the second time around, not having to worry about the game of football itself, it takes a lot of the thinking out of it," he said. "That was always going to be the challenge early on, getting comfortable with the sport. Now I feel like I'm at the stage where I can just concentrate on execution rather than the bigger things."

Smith, 28, spent most of his rookie year on the practice squad, seeing some playing time late in the season. He played a total of 17 snaps on offense, plus 15 snaps on special teams. Basically, it was a redshirt year, but now he's ready to make a name for himself.

"I feel like I'm at the stage where I can contribute," he said. "My primary goal is to help the Jets win football games."

He's already mastered the veteran cliches.

But seriously, he should get a good look, considering the downtrodden state of the tight end position.

Jeff Cumberland and Konrad Reuland are the only experienced tight ends on the roster, so we're not talking about Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez here. Maybe, just maybe, "Aussie" -- his nickname -- can make a move up the depth chart. He has gone from Down Under to under the radar. Who knows what's next?

I feel like Cimini is obsessed with this guy, as if he writes a billion articles about him. I have no idea if that's true or not. It just FEELS true.

What's funny is that weren't they talking about this guy making a huge impact last year? Now it's like, "MAYBE HE'LL MAKE THE TEAM!"

He's still gotta be a long shot. Think of all the kids in the US that have suited up and learned the game as second graders on up to college, and this Aussie is so special that he's the best available tight end we can find, even though he never buckled a chinstrap until last year at the age of 25? I dunno. Maybe he'll surprise us. Or maybe he's another fun camp story in the vein of Clowney, Ratliff and Kevin swayne.

Archived