O dept. : Marty Mornhinweg ~ ~ ~

kelly

After losing the preseason position battle to fourth-year lineman

Vladimir Ducasse, third-round rookie G Brian Winters has been primarily watching from the sidelines during the games. He’s taken the field just once for an offensive play.

Come Monday, however, that number could go way, way up for the 22-year-old.

“It’s been a good week,” said Winters, who’s been working with the ones for the first time since the preseason. “I definitely feel like I’ve gained my confidence back.”

Head coach Rex Ryan wouldn’t commit to his starting left guard for Monday night’s game in Atlanta quite yet.

“We’ll still battle this week,” Ryan said today, “but certainly he’s been getting a majority of the reps with the first team. He’s looked good.”

If given a chance to play, Winter’s goal is simple: Do no harm.

“I don’t want to be someone that skips a beat,” he said. “I want to go in there and I want everyone to feel confident and not have to worry about me.”

If he’s to achieve his goal, he’ll have to avoid adding to the penalty tally.

While Ducasse has shown glimpses of good play throughout the young season, six penalties in the last two games may have precipitated the coaches’ decision to consider shuffling the starting lineup.

There was a flag thrown on Winters today, “so we’ve got to get that fixed,” Rex said.

But as far as Brian’s concerned, it’ll be an “easy fix.”

“I just released too fast on a screen,” he said, adding it was the first time the team had run that particular play.

Might playing in a dome on the road present a difficult challenge for avoiding the yellow flags?

“No I don’t think so,” he said. “It really doesn’t matter where you’re playing or what you’re doing. You just have to be keyed in on everything and know what you have to do. That’s part of football.”

Familiarity with his assignments when a play’s called will help him hone in on blocking the defenders instead of thinking too much about what he’s doing, and this theoretically should lead to fewer penalties. Winters hasn’t received too many gameday reps, but he’s learned what he has to do simply by observing.

“Just because you’re not on the field, you’ve got to still be tuned in with anything because you really never know when you’re going to be called on,” he said. “When I was on the sidelines for the games, I watched the positions, I would make the calls in my head, I was helping Coach [Mike Devlin] with fronts and everything. Preparation and knowing what you have to do is big.”

Perhaps the extra four weeks of mental preparation will pay off for the Kent State product. His limited playing time thus far could turn out to be a plus instead of a hindrance.

“I felt it was a good thing just to get my feet wet and feel it out,” he said. “Just to see the game speed and everything, I thought that was a big eye-opening thing. For me, it’s better not to jump right into it if you’re not ready, so I feel that was a good way to learn.”

With a few weeks of experience and a couple months removed from an ankle injury that kept him out of our first two preseason games, Winters’ confidence is higher than ever before and the tackle-turned-guard is looking forward to a chance to play in primetime on national television.

“It’s a great opportunity,” he said of the Monday night matchup. “It’s probably one of the most thrilling things you can conquer in football, so I’m going to have to keep cool and keep my calm, but it’s going to be an exciting thing.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/Brian-Winters-Regaining-His-Confidence-/3fa2d5c6-4534-4a0b-9e3d-cb925eb7a868

-- New York Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg revealed on Friday that the Jets' offense had a meeting after last weekend's loss to Tennessee and keyed in three areas where the team needs to improve: turnovers, penalties and sacks.

nyj.gif"We had a little 'put it on the table' meeting when the players got back in," Mornhinweg said. "And these things have to change for us to be any good at all and to get to where we want to be and to be a good offensive football team."Later he joked that he hoped no one had taped the meeting, but added that he thinks players got the message. Mornhinweg was clear that the responsibility for fixing those problems rested with him.

Simms vs. Quinn : Quarterback Brady Quinn was brought in but has yet to be active for a game, and Mornhinweg was asked if Quinn could replace inexperienced Matt Simms at the No. 2 spot. Mornhinweg shut down that line of questioning.

"That’s been well thought out, all those things," Mornhinweg said. "Matt has earned this thing. Matt has a lot of respect and confidence from his teammates and from the staff. He’s sort of earned that now."

Who are you ? After four games teams usually have a sense of where they are heading and what their identity is, but between a rookie quarterback in Geno Smith and an offense that’s been reshuffled because of injuries, the Jets aren’t there yet."Now we’re a quarter of the way through the season, usually at a quarter of the way through, it might take another game or two, you sort of know where you’re at," Mornhinweg said. "I’m not sure we do yet."

Private screening : The coordinator was asked if he had trouble with screen plays against the Titans.“Yes, may never call another screen for the rest of my career,” Mornhinweg said.

We will see if he holds to that when the Jets head to Atlanta for their game Monday night.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/28478/the-mornhin-after

Jet fans love to dump on the OC.

First of all, the Jets were behind 10-0 at the end of the first quarter.  24-6 at the half.  You don't run the ball against a team that is slicing up your D and is ahead by more than two scores.

Second, with Ivory out, Powell was the only good RB suited up.  add in the plays for him with screen passes, and exactly how much more of going to him would have changed the game? 

The Jets did not lose the game because they abandoned the running game.   They lost the game because their rookie Qb made mistakes a player should not be making in Pop Warner.

The playcalling is much better, and free of the too predictable kind of plays we saw too much of the previous four plus years.

Marty cannot be blamed for the way the Jets spend all their ffirst round draft picks on D.  He can't be blamed for failures on the O like Vlad, Hill's propensity for dropsies (which seem to be declining under Marty's coaching staff, btw),for Holmes having to work his way back from injury and now injured again, or the lack of depth everywhere.  He can't be blamed for the Jets not having a decent Qb on the roster.  He can't be blamed for poor execution.

But the OC is everyone's favorite whipping boy so let's blame Marty.

Marty had great success in Philly.  but he has the worst roster on O the Jets have had in recent memory.  Let's be fair with him.

I thought I was being fair. He called a bad game. The score wasn't lopsided until Smith's second pick and that dumb fumble. Marty could have run the ball with the score 10-0 but didn't and soon it was 17-3.

Geno Smith turns in turnover-free gem

Instead of micromanaging Geno Smith by making him wear a color-coded wrist band, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan came to his football senses and actually challenged his rookie quarterback to take the opposite approach Monday night.

"Let 'er rip and play with no conscience," Smith said of his coach's edict.

Smith played out of his mind, all right.

Eight days after the ugliest four-turnover performance you will ever see, Smith delivered a possible turning-point game for him and the Jets, rallying them to a dramatic, last-second upset of the Atlanta Falcons, 30-28, at the Georgia Dome.

nfl_g_smith_300x200.jpg
Geno Smith left the Georgia Dome with his third victory in five games as a starter.
Smith was terrific for the first 58 minutes, and he was even better in the final two, directing a seven-play, 55-yard scoring drive to set up Nick Folk's 43-yard field goal as time expired. Smith was flawless on the final drive, completing four passes to three different receivers and calling an audible -- an audible! -- on the third-down play before Folk did his thing.

If Folk had missed, it still would've been a silver-lining night for the Jets (3-2), simply because of Smith's dramatic improvement. Sure, it would've hurt, but the initial pain would've faded, replaced by the big picture -- Smith's positive strides.

That they won the game, too, beating a team that fancied itself as a Super Bowl contender, was the ultimate double-delight for the Jets, who moved to within one game of the first-place New England Patriots in the AFC East.

"We showed that we can be great," said defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, who was just that against the Falcons (1-4).

Team success aside, this showed Smith's potential. He's not a turnover machine, after all. After 11 giveaways in the first four games, he played a clean game on a national stage.

jets_podcast_134.jpgListen to Geno Smith's postgame news conference:

button_play.gif
No turnovers.

Let's repeat that: no turnovers.

"I thought he did an outstanding job for us throughout the entire game," Ryan said.

This was the kind of game the Jets envisioned when they chose Smith in the second round. That he kept his cool on the road, with ear-splitting noise, showed plenty of moxie. For a change, everybody isn't talking about his strong arm and his physical gifts. Everybody's talking about his calm under pressure.

"He's wise beyond his years," running back Mike Goodson said.

Smith didn't put up "wow" numbers, mostly because Marty Mornhinweg featured the running game, but the former West Virginia star capitalized on his chances. He completed 16 of 20 passes for 199 yards, three touchdowns and a 147.7 passer rating. And he did it without injured wide receiver Santonio Holmes and with a couple of newcomers, Goodson and wide receiver David Nelson.

SportsNation: Geno, Jets top Falcons

espn_sportsnation_80.gifRex Ryan's Jets stunned the Falcons on Monday Night Football. Is New York for real? Is Atlanta finished? Vote!

More importantly, he did it in crunch time.

Thanks to a fourth-quarter defensive collapse, the Jets fell behind 28-27. Smith got the ball on the 20-yard line with 1:54 on the clock. There wasn't a rah-rah speech in the huddle.

"There was no Disney pep talk," guard Willie Colon said. "No time for that. Good offenses get it done and that's what we did."

Smith hit Stephen Hill for a 12-yard gain, Jeremy Kerley for 13 more and Hill for another 9. Smith scrambled for 8 yards and got out of bounds, stopping the clock with 37 seconds left. After a Bilal Powell run, Smith hit Clyde Gates for 3 yards.

Now it was third-and-3 from Falcons' 31, on the fringe of field-goal range. Mornhinweg sent in a pass play and put Smith in shotgun. The kid looked at the Falcons' defense and changed the play to a run, moving behind center for the snap.

"That takes [guts]," Colon said of Smith's play change.

It almost blew up, but Powell shed a tackler in the backfield and ran for 6 yards. In came Folk, who is money with the game on the line. Smith loved the moment.

"Always calm, since I was a kid," he said, describing his emotions on the final drive. "To be in that situation, to take my team down and get a field goal or touchdown. … It's great to come away with a victory."

After last week's debacle against the Tennessee Titans, Smith said he "needed to change my mentality," explaining he couldn't afford to be uptight. He would've been that way if Ryan had gone through with the ridiculous idea of slapping a remedial wrist band on him, a la Mark Sanchez, circa 2009.

Smith heeded Ryan's words -- let 'er rip. It's a fine line, playing aggressively but not recklessly, which Smith had been doing. In Tennessee, he struggled to complete two passes in a row, let alone an entire drive with no margin for error.

"He's a rookie and we made him look like a 10-year vet," Falcons safety William Moore said.

It's amazing how quickly things can change in the NFL. A week ago, a crestfallen Smith apologized to defensive teammates for all his mistakes. On this night, they were raving about him. Ryan didn't gush too much, preferring to keep it about the team.

"The key word is 'fearless,'" he said. "I challenged our team the night before to play that way, and that's exactly how we played."

Starting at quarterback -- for a change.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/28641/geno-smith-turns-in-turnover-free-ge

Geno-Marty match lets it rip like Rex Finally, Jets' defense and offense share same mentality: attack, attack, attack

Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith went from nearly unwatchable to nearly perfect in the space of a week.

By Tuesday morning, everyone still wanted to know how.

As in, how is it that Smith could rebound from a four-turnover nightmare against the Tennessee Titans that left him going from locker to locker to apologize to his teammates a week ago, then pull off something as magical as a 30-28 rally during his "Monday Night Football" debut in just his fifth career NFL start? He did all that after the Jets had just finished blowing a 13-point, second-half lead and got the ball back 80 yards from the end zone with 1:54 to play.

How?

Smith thinks he knows the answer.

"I had to adjust my mentality," he said after the Jets' coaching staff doubled down on trusting him despite his debacle against the Titans.

nfl_a_jets_gb1_200x300.jpg
Geno Smith, right, and Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg are perfectly suited for each other.

"They just tell me to go to out there and let it rip -- play with no conscience," Smith continued after he went 4-for-4 passing on the final drive and Nick Folk's game-winning, 43-yard field goal tumbled just inside the left upright as time expired.

Let it rip? The Jets offense? Since when?

For the first time in Rex Ryan's tenure as the Jets coach, his team might finally have an offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg, who can match the aggressive mentality that has made Ryan's defenses perennially good.

Brian Schottenheimer, Ryan's first offense coordinator, didn't merely run the ground-and-pound attack that Ryan wanted; Schottenheimer never met a dink pass he didn't like, and he had a knack for calling gadget plays at spectacularly bad times. Last season's one-and-done offensive coordinator Tony Sparano? He rolled out an even drearier version of dinosaur ball while the rest of the NFL raced to develop high-octane passing attacks.

Ryan finally realized he had to change.

Mornhinweg's version of the West Coast offense seems perfectly suited to taking advantage of the athleticism and accuracy that Smith showed at West Virginia before he left and fell to the Jets in the second round of the draft. And Smith seems temperamentally suited for the identity Mornhinweg is trying to create. He's disciplined enough to take the short stuff and daring enough to take the deep shots Mornhinweg loves to dial up.

"It's a mentality -- we just want to be aggressive," Mornhinweg said recently. "And that mentality is important to me."

This shouldn't come as a surprise. Mornhinweg, 51, has a longstanding reputation for aggressiveness and a good history of molding winning quarterbacks, even ones as inexperienced as Smith. He came to the Jets after deciding not to follow his old boss, Andy Reid, to Kansas City after they were let go last season by the Eagles. But they did a lot of good work together before leaving.

Michael Vick had his career-best passing seasons in 2010 and 2011, and the Eagles had a top-10 offense five times in six seasons (2006-11) during the time Mornhinweg was Philly's offensive coordinator. Kevin Kolb and Nick Foles began their development under him as well. Though Reid often got a lot of the credit for everything the Eagles offense did, that at least partly changed when Reid turned over the play calling to Morhninweg in '06 and the Eagles reeled off five straight wins in their last five regular-season games to tear into the playoffs.

To this day, Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young raves about Mornhinweg's brilliantly crafted game plans and inspired play calling. And Smith was raving about the same things Monday night.

"Great call by Marty," he said of Mornhniweg's decision to call Smith's 1-yard touchdown pass to Kellen Winslow.

How about that audible Smith himself fearlessly called to check the Jets from a pass into a run on third-and-3 from the Falcons' 31-yard line with 25 seconds to play?

"In that situation, we got the look we wanted, got the check called," Smith said.

Bilal Powell picked up 6 yards to spare Folk from having to try a 49-yard field goal.

The fact that Smith felt he had the license -- not just personal confidence -- to change the play shows how Mornhinweg's attitude is indeed rubbing off on the Jets.

"Attack, attack, attack. He's preached that since the day I met him," Jets guard Willie Colon said last week.

Mornhinweg isn't just situationally aggressive. He seems to believe the harder things get in the course of a game, the more -- not less -- you need to force the issue sometimes. And Ryan coaches the Jets defense the same way.

Smith wasn't kidding Monday night when he said he considers this a "dream" situation for a quarterback like him to be in.

Neither he nor Mornhinweg are using his inexperience as a crutch. Smith isn't being asked to just be a game manager or Robo-QB -- just limit his turnovers. And Smith's teammates already seem to have faith in him. Those pre-draft reports that questioned whether he had the leadership skills for the NFL seem hysterically funny so far.

Smith has now led the Jets (3-2) on fourth-quarter, game-winning drives in all three of their wins. With the 0-4 Pittsburgh Steelers visiting next, the Jets could build some momentum heading into their rematch against the New England Patriots the following week.

It has to help Smith to know that, good or bad, whether the Jets are up by 20 or trail with the game on the line and a minute to go, Mornhinweg's mantra doesn't change.

The Jets offense and defense finally fit. At last, they have the same mindset, whether they're trying to bring the house on defense or take it to the house on offense.

Attack, attack, attack.

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9794276/new-york-jets-coach-rex-ryan-finds-match-geno-smith-marty-mornhinweg

Geno Smith cool under pressure
 -- It's always been like this for Geno Smith.

The New York Jets rookie has exuded a certain calmness during the fourth quarter of games -- never letting the moment get too big for him as he tried to lead his team to a victory like he did Monday night against the Atlanta Falcons.

It is the same steadiness he exhibited as a youngster on Christmas morning. Granted, unwrapping packages is not as complex as dissecting defenses, but he never let his emotions get too high.

nfl_g_smith_300x200.jpg
Geno Smith led another game-winning drive on Monday against the Falcons.

"My mom thought it was weird," Smith said Wednesday. "I never really got [excited] on Christmas when I was a kid. That's just how I was all the time."

His even-keeled demeanor has played a large role in Smith leading the league with three game-winning drives through the first five weeks of the year. Smith has delivered in the fourth quarter in each of the Jets wins so far, including two last-second wins against the Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"It's just the way I have been growing up. I don't really get nervous, especially in football," Smith said. "It's just something that I love to do. I just look at it as if I was playing in the backyard playing sandlot, you wouldn't get nervous then. I walk into the game, I feel prepared. I'm never really nervous when I'm prepared."

Monday night marked Smith's finest performance in the NFL thus far as he guided the Jets to a come-from-behind win against the Falcons. Trailing 28-27 with 1:54 left, Smith went 4-of-4 for 37 yards and added in an eight-yard run to put the Jets in position for the game-winning field goal. He completed 16 of 20 passes for 199 yards and three touchdowns Monday as the Jets improved to 3-2.

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin, whose team will try to stop Smith on Sunday, called him "somewhat of a flatliner", meaning he evens off and does not let his emotions swing. He believed Smith's personality is "geared toward delivering in those moments." Jets linebacker Calvin Pace echoed those thoughts.

"He's even-keeled. He's never too up, he's never too down," Pace said. "The thing I like about Geno, he never gets down on himself. When he makes a mistake, he's the same guy. Even when he's doing well, you look at him, expecting more emotion, but he's just smooth."

Smith said he cannot remember the last time he was ever nervous on the football field, and that stems from his love of the game. Whether the Jets win or lose, he is going to be the same guy afterward. It was that way when he was younger, and he tries to keep it that way now as he guides an NFL team.

"The one thing I've learned is never let the game change who you are, good or bad," Smith said. "So I'm never going to change. I'm never going to get beside myself."

The rookie did acknowledge there is one thing that gets him pumped.

"Life. I'm big on life," Smith said. "Waking up every morning excites me."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/28852/geno-cool-under-pressure

The Jets might have finally found the perfect team.

Not on the field, where the Jets are a surprising and improved 3-2, but on the sidelines. Though coach Rex Ryan has reaped the praise for his team’s surprising start in his make-or-break year, it’s due in part because the offense is not pulling down a still stellar defense.

“Marty Mornhinweg has brought stability and direction to the offense,” said former Steelers coach and CBS analyst Bill Cowher, who will be working in the booth for the first time on Sunday when the Jets play host to Pittsburgh at MetLife Stadium.

“He’s given Rex a chance on defense, where his expertise is,” he said. “I look at this team and [i am] watching a rookie quarterback turning into a starter before your eyes. This is a really big game for them. There are benchmark games where it proves you turned a corner and that’s one of these games.”

Mornhinweg and his West Coast offense is being piloted by the improving Geno Smith, who has shown a mix of potential and youth with 11 turnovers mixed in with seven touchdowns for the NFL’s 13th-rated offense.

Not spectacular, but a vast improvement over a group that regressed from 25th to 30th in switching from Brian Schottenheimer to Tony Sparano the past two seasons.

“It’s very important because it eliminates one area where you have to be hands on,” Cowher said.

“Again, the other part is Mike Pettine going to Buffalo and Rex deciding to step in and make some of the calls and sometimes that’s a great release for a coach. It’s something he’s always done. He’s very comfortable with that. … The stability in an organization starts with stability in coaching, and I think they have that right now.”

Ryan’s job was in jeopardy after the team went from back-to-back AFC title games to 8-8 to 6-10 and the team firing general manager Mike Tannenbaum in the offseason and replacing him with John Idzik. But now there is at least the potential of the Jets signing Ryan to an extension, and — even more shocking — a chance for this team to be tied for first place in the AFC East after six games if it beats the winless Steelers and the Patriots fall to the unbeaten Saints on Sunday.

“When you start winning games, you start getting confident and playing better than you really are and that can take you a long way,” Cowher said.

“What the Jets have is a running game and a defensive front that can match up with anybody in the NFL. I really like the guys they have with Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson.

“Who would have thought Pittsburgh would be coming in here looking for their first win and the Jets, if they win this game, potentially playing for first place a week later against the Patriots?”

> http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/mornhinwegs-offense-has-re-fueled-jets/

Bilal Powell lets his feet do his talking Running back may be quietest man on Jets, but he's finding ways to get noticed

. -- Third-year Jets running back Bilal Powell is not a household name. Not even close.

But he's always ranked among the unsung players who had to play well if the Jets were going to get off to the surprising start they have. And last Sunday in Atlanta, there he was, making the run of the game after Jets quarterback Geno Smith made the call of the game -- a daring audible out of a shotgun pass into a handoff to Powell that was either going to cement a last-minute comeback against the Falcons or doom it.

nfl_g_powell_d1_300x300.jpg
Bilal Powell's efforts in Atlanta helped the Jets improve to 3-2.

There were only 34 seconds left to play. The Jets blew a 13-point second-half lead and now trailed by one. Powell, standing by his locker at the Jets' practice facility Thursday, smiled slightly as he recalled the situation. He admitted his first thought when Smith had the guts to change the play was, What is he doing?

"It was so loud [in the Georgia Dome] I couldn't exactly hear him make the check at first," Powell said. "But then I looked at the defense and saw what Geno saw and I thought, 'Wow. He is going to be special.' For him to make that check? In that situation? I think you can take that rookie label off him right now."

Powell's next thought, once he got the handoff? That remained uncomfortable. The Jets were staring at a game-winning, 49-yard field goal attempt if they didn't gain another yard. But they didn't dare lose any yardage, either. And now here was Falcons defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux running at Powell nearly untouched and threatening to blow up the play.

Until Powell juked him and gained six yards instead.

"He's always had that talent," Jets coach Rex Ryan said.

Then Nick Folk remained perfect on the season by booming a 43-yard field goal as time expired.

"I'm glad we had to win it this way," Ryan repeatedly said after the game. And what he meant was the Jets' all-hands-on-deck approach, the same formula they're going to have to keep using the rest of this season, starting with their game against winless Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. If the 3-2 Jets win this game, too, there won't be much room left on the bandwagon next week ahead of their rematch against New England.

By now, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger -- who already has five fumbles this season -- has no doubt noticed how Jets defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson stripped Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan of the ball to keep driving the talk that he's headed for his first Pro Bowl. Smith, who played his college ball just an hour and a half from Pittsburgh at West Virginia, was a perfect 4-for-4 on the last drive against Atlanta after getting the ball at the Jets' 20 with 1:54 to play. And Powell, whose job status was unclear in the offseason after the Jets went out and obtained Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson, tightened his grip on the starting job a little more.

It wasn't the first time Powell has had to make himself noticed.

If you took a team vote, Powell would probably be chosen the most introverted man on the Jets' roster. And he admitted that's funny, considering whom he plays for. "I'm not really a big talker, to tell you the truth -- and that's not him," he said with a smile about Ryan.

But the few things Powell does choose to say reveal how he's been constantly listening, learning, working and thinking about how he can excel at his job since he joined the Jets as a fourth-round pick out of Louisville in 2011.

"One of the things that really stand out for me now, looking back," said Powell, "is when Coach Ryan first brought me in, he said, 'I don't really need anything out of you but 100 percent.' That just makes it that much easier, you know? The idea that you don't have to change who you are -- just give me your best shot.

"That's what I try to do. Every day."

Having Hall of Fame-bound back LaDainian Tomlinson as a teammate when "I wasn't really getting any reps on offense in my rookie year," helped immeasurably too, Powell said. What was Tomlinson's advice? "Protect the quarterback. Catch the ball. Be able to run inside the tackles. Be able to run outside the tackles. Just try to do anything and everything possible to situate yourself to take advantage of every opportunity that's given you, you know?

"It's just a mindset," Powell continued. "I try to learn as much of the playbook as I can. And instead of focusing on the things I'm good at, focus on my weaknesses, improve in those areas. And just take coaching. I just try to be a professional every day."

It shows.

A less astute back might've frozen in the situation Powell found himself in against Atlanta: Game on the line. No room for error. A surprise audible from your rookie quarterback. The ball in your hands and a defensive tackle in your face with the crowd howling.

But Powell's mental sharpness has always been impressive.

Ryan said, "I remember [running backs coach] Anthony Lynn, telling me he came into a game -- I believe we were playing Denver -- [and] as a rookie, he had no mental mistakes. He's just one of those type of guys."

Ryan likes Powell's heart, too.

By training camp, Powell was projected as no better than the third-string back on the Jets' roster. But Goodson got arrested and suspended. Ivory got hurt. Joe McKnight got cut. And a message Ryan said he always delivers to the team came true again.

"I just mentioned to the guys again today how you can think you're on practice squad one minute and you might be starting the next," Ryan said Thursday. "[Powell] is a guy that took this to heart and was there, ready to go."

Later, by his locker, Powell did finally admit after some prodding that he was "a bit" of a hit earlier this week in the Jets' running back meetings. When he and the others sat down as a group to watch video of the Atlanta game, there he was again -- escaping Babineaux, making the most of Smith's willingness to put the game in his hands, making Folk's game-winning kick a 43-yarder instead of, say, a 53- or 55-yarder.

"It got complimented," Powell allowed. "Everybody said it was kind of a critical situation. But ... "

Yes?

"As a running back, that's what I'm supposed to do," he added, his voice barely above a whisper.

Powell may indeed be the quietest man on the Jets. But he keeps proving there are a lot of ways in the NFL to get noticed.

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9806903/new-york-jets-bilal-powell-lets-feet-do-talking

Bottom line as the Steelers outdinked the Jets, dunking their chance for a first-place showdown Sunday with the Pats: Ben Roethlisberger took care of the ball and

Geno Smith didn’t.

Worst Day at the Office: Antonio Cromartie’s. Beaten badly on the only touchdown of the game, had the ball wrestled away from him by Antonio Brown on a third-and-10 first-down catch, was flagged for a pass interference, and was seen preening about a Brown drop in the end zone instead of hitting his knees in thanks. Probably got away with interference on that one besides.

Second-Worst Day at the Office: D’Brickashaw Ferguson was defeated cleanly on two of the Steelers’ three sacks.

Worst Decision: Of course, Geno Smith’s throw into what appeared to him to be beatable double coverage that became triple coverage when Ryan Clark suddenly materialized. Safeties will do that, rook. The Jets were driving to answer the Steelers’ touchdown.

Turning Point: See above.

The Best of Geno: A pretty sideline 20-yarder to Stephen Hill at the 21 with two seconds left on the first-half clock, allowing Nick Folk to cut Pittsburgh’s lead to 9-6. Clutch.

The Worst of Geno: He followed up that drive with three straight incompletions on shorties, starting the second half with a 3-and-out. Any momentum went pfffft.

Best Reason Halftime Should Last Less Than 12 Minutes: See above.

Best Reason Halftime Should Last More Than 12 minutes: Biggest rush of the day by the Jets (who managed 83 yards on the ground) necessarily had to be Marty Lyons’ Ring of Honor ceremony. Wham, Bam, Thank You, Man.

Taking One for the Team: Clyde Gates suffered a shoulder injury saving a potential interception on a Smith misfire on a slant.

Lost in Space: Heath Miller — just like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney — on a 22-yard completion that led to the Steelers’ final field goal. No Jet within 10 yards. Miller has been to two Pro Bowls, not exactly a secret weapon on a team that otherwise has a dearth of them.

Best Call: Up top to Emmanuel Sanders off a play fake. Even if Cromartie said he didn’t bite, he was just beaten.

Worst Call: That was not a horsecollar tackle by Calvin Pace that set up the Steelers’ second field goal.

Ugliest Sequence: Hurried Smith had to throw the ball into the ground twice on one 3-and-out. It was not a great performance by the Jets offensive line.

Most Overlooked Factor Coming In: The Steelers had two weeks to prepare and the Jets one less day than normal.

Worst Mischaracterization: Of Stephen Hill as soft when his rookie year became truncated by injury. Hill was leveled by Troy Polamalu making the catch that set up Folk’s second field goal, the second time in three weeks the second-year receiver had been laid out by vicious hits. He returned to make two more catches. “It’s what we sign up for,” Hill said.

Best Strategy: Screen after screen by the Steelers in the early going to slow the Jets pass rush. Pittsburgh’s beat-up offensive line allowed three sacks of Roethlisberger but none of any impact, particularly after the only one of appreciable yardage loss quickly was negated by Miller beating Darrin Walls for 31 yards to set up the Steelers’ first score.

Best Stand on Defense: From first-and-goal at the 2, still giving the Jets the illusion of a chance with 12 minutes to go. A Steelers holding penalty helped but on third down, David Harris ran down Antonio Brown on his second trickeration attempt of the day and Pittsburgh settled for a field goal.

Best Defensive Play: Harris tackled Miller a yard short of the first down marker in the fourth quarter, giving the Jets one more chance.

Best Special Teamer: Folk, still perfect for the season.

Largest Opportunity Missed: Roethlisberger slipped Muhammad Wilkerson in the end zone on the Steelers’ second possession. Not only would it have been 2-0, but after the free kick the Jets would have been only two first downs from Folk making it 5-0.

Second, Third and Fourth Opportunities Missed: The Steelers, playing the role of the 0-4 team, set themselves back with penalties on three of their scoring drives and the Jets still couldn’t get a stop.

Biggest Opportunity Missed (Big Picture Department): The Jets could have been playing the Patriots for a share of the division lead on Sunday.

Even Bigger Reason to Lament the Above: The Bengals and Saints are next after the Patriots.

Best Reason to Keep Your Chin Up: It’s the NFL, a week-to-week deal.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Greenberg-Take-Care-of-the-Ball/91655e21-4286-4d8a-bda1-5299d8c5933a

Underworked Ivory stays patient -- for now

-- Running back Chris Ivory said he's not unhappy with his role -- yet -- but he acknowledged Monday he's not getting the ball as much as he expected.

"Honestly, I feel like it's been a little bit conservative," he said. "Hopefully, we get some things going. But it hasn't been as many [carries] as I thought."

Ivory has 34 carries in five games (he missed one game with a hamstring injury), 53 fewer carries than Bilal Powell. Ivory said the coaches told him he's the short-yardage back, yet he wasn't used Sunday on a third-and-1 from the Pittsburgh Steelers 2-yard line. Powell got the ball, and he was stuffed.

"I was actually supposed to be in there," said Ivory, adding that it was the short-yardage personnel grouping. "But [the coaches] told me to stay there on the sideline."

Ivory played only nine offensive snaps in the 19-6 loss, carrying the ball four times for 16 yards. He said he's not ready to make a stink yet because he believes his limited playing time has been dictated by the types of defenses they've faced, but he won't stay quiet for the entire season.

"I'm happy, I'm fine," he said. "I say that because we have a lot of ball left. But if it's close to the end of the season and it's still the same, I can say I wouldn't be too happy."

Ivory missed the bulk of training camp with a hamstring injury, falling behind Powell. His touches should increase now that No. 2 back Mike Goodson is out for the season with torn knee ligaments. But Ivory senses the coaches still don't have full confidence in his ability as a blocker in pass protection.

"Right now, I still don't think they really trust me all the way yet," he said. "Maybe in certain protections, but I'm not sure if they trust me all the way based on how many times they put me in. But I guarantee you, I'll gain it."

Actually, Ivory made a nice block on a blitzing linebacker in the third quarter. The play didn't end well, as Geno Smith threw his first interception.

Ivory was projected as the Jets' feature back. They traded a fourth-round pick for him and signed him to a three-year, $6 million contract, including $2.25 million to sign.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/29237/underworked-ivory-stays-patient-for-now

Rex Ryan was asked at his news conference today about facing a guy like Tom Brady, who, "like he's a vampire, you've got to put a stake in his heart, you've got to keep trying to kill the guy, and he keeps coming back."

"I thought about doing all that stuff," Ryan deadpanned, "but I think the league would fine you. I've been fined enough by the league so I'm going to pass on that."

But it's an interesting question for the Jets this week. Yes, Brady and the Patriots are coming to town on Sunday, and we know the Jets' track record against the Beasts of the AFC East for the past three seasons.

But while the visitors will be wearing their familiar red-white-and-blue laundry, they won't be coming in with all the old familiar faces. Brady will be there, but on offense TE Rob Gronkowski remains iffy, and neither WR Danny Amendola nor G Dan Connolly practiced today. Both have concussions.

On defense, OLB Jerod Mayo (pectoral) was placed on Injured Reserve to join DT Vince Wilfork (Achilles), who went on IR two games ago. And CB Aqib Talib, who's been having a fine season against the Jets and everyone else, also was a DNP with a hip injury.

As a New England reporter asked Brady on Tuesday, "How difficult is it for you to keep this thing going with pieces falling down around you?"

So what are the Jets to do? Go up against their old rivals quietly and respectfully and carefully? Or swagger into MetLife Stadium looking to knock some more pieces off the pedestal?

Not surprisingly, the players were playing it down the middle after today's practice.

"They've still got guys out there making plays," G Willie Colon said. "[brandon] Spikes is still playing well for them. They have an active front, guys that just get it done. Obviously you've got to respect the kid, 95, Chandler [Jones] — he's geting better and better each week. They're just playing at a level where they're competing and they're getting it done."

"A lot of teams won't change, specifically during the middle of a season," T Austin Howard said. "These games are always going to be, depending on what's in your plan, typically built around the same things they have been before. The players may change, but the atitude, the mentality isn't going to change. We know they're going to come with everything they've got, so we have to prepare that way."

Our rushing game will be without Mike Goodson, who showed promise and electricity for two games before going on IR himself this week, but we still have Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory ready to tote the rock for the 14th-ranked rush offense against the 24th-ranked run defense.

"They lose a huge piece in their run defense, because Vince Wilfork was huge," Ryan said about Wilfork (program weight: 325 pounds). "They’ve got some guys in there that are battling, kind of no-name types compared to Vince, but they seem to be doing a decent job on the run."

Some numbers there favor the Jets, though. In three games plus 10 plays at Atlanta when Wilfork was playing, opponents averaged 4.1 yards per carry. In the almost three full games since he went out, the opponent average has risen to 4.4 per carry. The Jets are at 4.1 per attempt.

Other numbers aren't as favorable. As Colon counseled, Chandler Jones was too hot to handle back in Week 2 when he had two of the Pats' four sacks of Geno Smith.

Yet Geno's been trending like his team, playing well in wins, scuffling in losses in alternate weeks, improving parts of his game all along. It's reasonable to think he may have learned from those four sacks and those three fourth-quarter interceptions and will help himself and our offense rise to the occasion.

"I'm not making any guarantees," Smith said at his locker today. "I believe we do have enough talent to beat any team. If we come out and play our A-game and play sharp and stick to what we've been coached to do, I think we can beat anyone."

"You know what?" said Howard. "I don't think we've ever gone into any game thinking we were going to lose, despite what the newspapers may say. I believe that fuels us, actually. We'd rather go out there and show those who don't believe that we can that we will. There'll be ups and downs, maybe some guys hurt, but we have guys who replace them come up and do good things for us."

Injury Report

On the injury front, it's true we placed Goodson and WR Clyde Gates on Injured Reserve on Tuesday. But on the other hand, there are 13 players listed in the first report this week — the fewest in a Jets daily injury report since the last game of the 2011 season.

Santonio Holmes (foot/hamstring), CB Kyle Wilson (concussion) and newly signed WR Greg Salas (knee) didn't practice, but CB Dee Milliner (hamstring) and WR David Nelson (hamstring) were limited. Rex, asked if he's optimistic that Milliner, his rookie corner, could be active Sunday for the first time in three games, said, "Yeah, I am. Absolutely."

The Patriots' list is hefty. Did Not Participate — Amendola (concussion/groin), Connolly (concussion), DT Tommy Kelly (knee), Talib (hip), RB Leon Washington (ankle). Limited — RB Brandon Bolden (knee), WR Julian Edelman (thigh), Gronkowski (back/forearm), TE Michael Hommanawanui (knee), S Devin McCourty (shoulder), WR Matt Slater (wrist), S Tavon Wilson (hamstring).

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangeblogfb/Jets-Offense-Set-to-Face-Patriots-Battered-%E2%80%98D%E2%80%99/bca133a3-806c-492e-88cd-08a2b9b6ab28

Rex Ryan was asked at his news conference today about facing a guy like Tom Brady, who, "like he's a vampire, you've got to put a stake in his heart, you've got to keep trying to kill the guy, and he keeps coming back."

"I thought about doing all that stuff," Ryan deadpanned, "but I think the league would fine you. I've been fined enough by the league so I'm going to pass on that."

Asshat.  We already hate you enough and now you want to kill Tom Brady?  

-- Due to injuries, the Jets will face a different Patriots defense in Week 7 than they did in Week 2. Jets center Nick Mangold won’t replay those epic grapples with Vince Wilfork for position in the middle of the field, since the Patriots defensive tackle is out with a torn Achilles. Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo was placed on injured reserve this week with a pectoral injury.

Will this make it easier to run the ball up the middle of the Patriots defense?

ins_g_powell_kh_300x200.jpg
Will Jets RB Bilal Powell be able to have a productive day against a dinged-up Patriots defense?

“No, you now have to look at who’s in there and study a little bit more, especially when you look at Vince [Wilfork],” Mangold said. “Every game that I’ve played, Vince has always been there. You kind of rely on your experience, you watch the film, but you rely on your experience, and now there are guys in there who you don’t have experience with, so it’s going to be a challenge for us up front. It’s going to be a fun week.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan wouldn’t tip his hand, but he did say that he didn’t expect the Patriots to be exposed despite the loss of two key players.

“You look at them, they do a good job,” Ryan said. “They’ll still have those big guys inside. [Brandon] Spikes is a underrated linebacker. He’ll hit you. He’s like the old under-tackle, a big guy that can get in there and smash you. I’m sure [Dont’a] Hightower will probably be in there, or somebody will be in there, at inside backer. They’re pretty stout inside anyway, but obviously with Vince being out, that is a factor, without question.”

Jets offensive lineman Willie Colon put it more succinctly.

“Belichick is a genius, he’ll use what he has,” Colon said.

Running back Chris Ivory recently said he thought the Jets should run the ball more, and this just might be the week to do it. The Patriots may be vulnerable there, and the Jets running backs, particularly Bilal Powell, have found yards.

“Bilal is doing well, Chris Ivory is starting to get his wheels back,” Colon said. “It’s sad that we lost Mike [Goodson] because I think he was coming alive for us. I think having Josh Cribbs in the backfield helps us without a doubt.”

Powell was on the injury report on Thursday with a neck injury, although he participated fully.

If it’s a matter of gamesmanship, the Patriots may expect and have prepared for the run, so it may not be over-thinking to imagine Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg would deviate from the expected path.

“We’re so confident in our backs and our offensive line, that we’re just going to run our game,” offensive lineman Austin Howard said.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/29459/jets-wont-sleep-on-reconfigured-patriots-defense

Two-minute Drill: Nick Mangold
Our weekly Q&A -- an offbeat conversation with a player -- is with  center Nick Mangold. He's a four-time Pro Bowler and the veteran leader of the offense:

You've worked with an interesting collection of quarterbacks over the years -- Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Give me a quick sentence on each guy, starting with Chad.

Mangold: One of the smartest guys I've ever been around. Taught me a lot about how to look at defenses. Kellen, we came in together [in the 2006 draft], so it was neat playing with him. Favre is a legend. I watched him growing up. To be able to play with him was really cool. Mark, coming in, was my first experience with a rookie, so I learned a lot of total offense. Geno, my second time around with a rookie. I have a lot more experience to fall back on.

Some day, you'll be able to tell some great stories. You worked with quarterbacks at both sides of the spectrum. Favre was 39 when he was here. Now you're with a rookie.

Mangold: Yeah, Geno is 22 [actually 23]. I mean, Geno was born in the '90s. I have to deal with that.

Favorite Favre memory:

Mangold: The second day he was in there, Eric [Mangini] had the penalty lap. We committed a penalty and we both had to run. The crowd [at training camp] was cheering as we were running around -- cheering for a penalty, which is kind of funny. That was my first real interaction with Brett. We talked the whole time. I was like, 'Hey, I'm Nick, nice to meet you.' I think we were a YouTube sensation before we even got into the locker room.

You've developed a strong interest in wine over the years. Tell us how that got started:

Mangold: My wife and I always had wine with dinner. It was one of those things where we saw everyone else do it, so we should probably do it, too. The first time we went out to Napa, we went to Vineyard 29. It's in St. Helena, set on the west side of 29. We sat there and the lady, Holly, gave us a bottle and she had to run off. She said, 'Here,, enjoy the bottle. Here's some crackers, some wine, I have to go.' She let us sit on their deck, overlooking the valley. We had the wine. A month later, we ordered some stuff from her and it came in. We opened up a bottle and I was taken straight back to sitting on her deck, with the sun setting. From that moment on, I was sucked in.

Offensive linemen are known as grunts or "Hogs," but you're a sophisticated wine lover. Do you think you're shattering the stereotype of linemen?

Mangold: I never thought of it image-wise. The wine just tastes really good, so I'll go with it.

Your sister, Holley, is famous in her own right. She was a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic weightlifting team and is currently appearing on the TV show, "The Biggest Loser." You must be proud of her.

Mangold: It's amazing, what she's been able to do. Think about it: She represented our country in the Olympics. That's an amazing feat. I couldn't be prouder. Now she's on TV, doing "The Biggest Loser." We taped it the other night, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. It's kind of neat to me. I always liked that show; now I have a vested interest.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/29524/two-minute-drill-nick-mangold

Quiet Bilal Powell making noise as hard-working Jets back

Bilal Powell grabs one of the folding chairs propped against the wall and sets it down at the edge of the indoor practice field at One Jets Drive.

The sunlight seeping through the opaque windows late Wednesday afternoon does little to brighten up the expansive space. But the stillness and the shadows of the empty field house seem quite fitting for Powell. The Jets running back is purposely reserved, intentionally understated. And unlike some athletes, the spotlight is one thing he doesn't crave.

"Can I just ask, why did you want to talk to me?" he says in the most earnest of voices.

The quietest man in the meeting room has quietly emerged as one of the most trusted players in Marty Mornhinweg's offense heading into Sunday's showdown between the Jets (3-3) and the AFC East rival Patriots (5-1).

Powell isn't flashy, but he works hard. Damn hard, his coaches will tell you. He's not a burner, but he's determined to gain that extra yard for the good of the team. And he's survived a heck of a lot to get here.

But if he had it his way, you wouldn't know about any of that.

"He literally should have died," said Louisville running backs coach and special-teams coordinator Kenny Carter.

Before Powell became the Jets' starting back, before he rushed for 1,405 yards as a Louisville senior, he was known for running the streets and occasionally carrying a gun. But he's reluctant to rehash the details of his checkered past.

He'd rather not get into his involvement with a neighborhood gang in his hometown of Lakeland, Fla., or the night his mother, Stephanie, found him lying on the pavement, bleeding from a knife wound inches from his kidney after a 2005 street fight.

"I'd say the average person in America would probably not survive in the situations that he had to negotiate," Carter said.

But after years of soul-searching, he has come to accept it all. And Powell, who will turn 25 next Sunday, doesn't regret the path that brought him to this very moment.

"I try to see that everything happens for a reason," said the married father of a soon-to-be 18-month-old boy.

The truth

Carter knew what he had in Powell. But the running back didn't know his own potential.

While coaching at the University of Florida from 2008-09, Carter saw Powell, then a star at Lake Gibson High School, "almost single-handedly" beat a Lakeland powerhouse stacked with future NFL players.

"We knew when we got here that we had a gem who, for whatever reason with the previous staff, had not been used," said Carter, who followed head coach Charlie Strong to Louisville in 2010.

But Powell lacked confidence. He also had ball-security issues. So Carter -- who is as much a confidant as he is a coach -- used tough love to get through to his prized pupil.

"He doesn't like for people to just stroke him," Carter said of Powell, who amassed only 933 rushing yards in his first three seasons at Louisville. "He wants truth."

Said Powell: "He just tried to get me to believe -- which he did."

They still talk at least once a week, and while their conversations aren't always rooted in football, Carter freely offers blunt assessment. Immediately after the Jets lost, 38-13, to Tennessee, he texted Powell: " ---- ball security."

Weathering the storm

"The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm."

-- Exodus 14:14

Every morning Powell tries to read a Bible verse. With the aid of an iPhone app, he reads a few more between meetings. His favorite is Exodus 14:14.

"That's how I try to approach things. Just stay calm in any situation," said Powell, now a devout Christian.

He doesn't profess to be a saint. He's just trying to be better than he was yesterday.

Powell was even-keeled when the Jets acquired running backs Mike Goodson and Chris Ivory in the offseason. He still was unproven and few thought he could be an every-down back. But after seven weeks, Powell -- a fourth-round pick in 2011 -- is the AFC's fourth- leading rusher with 360 yards on 87 carries (4.1 yards per attempt).

"He's everything you want a player to be," Carter said. "So I just told him, 'Hey, weather that storm.' "

Meanwhile, Ivory (3.4 yards per carry) has struggled to stay healthy and Goodson -- who missed the first four games because of an offseason arrest -- is out for the season with a knee injury.

"I wasn't worried about it 'cause he wasn't worried about it," said Jets receiver Jeremy Kerley, Powell's best friend on the team. "His mind-set was, 'I've got to go take this job. It doesn't matter who's in front of me.' Besides, he's not selfish. As long as everybody's doing their part, he's happy."

Jets running backs coach Anthony Lynn acknowledged that Powell would get overlooked by some coaches. "But not with me," he said, adding that he saw a "wow factor" in Powell's college game tape. "The success he's having now, it's what I completely anticipated."

Still, the 5-10, 204-pound Powell isn't a household name.

Said Lynn: "If Bilal had the personality of a Mike Goodson, everybody would know who Bilal Powell is."

The listener

As a rookie, Powell would sit in meetings with his head down, eyes often closed. He never jotted down a single note.

"I used to get really, really ticked off at him because I thought he wasn't paying attention," Lynn said. "I thought maybe I was just boring him."

But a learning test administered by the team's sports psychologist helped Lynn tailor his teaching. Some football players learn by watching video, others need to physically walk through reps to absorb the material. Others, like Powell, are audio learners.

"He would rather listen to what you have to say than look at you," said Lynn, adding that Powell's audio grade came back extremely high. "And because he doesn't make a lot of mistakes on the field, I don't care if he ever takes a note."

Powell, however, was unaware that his failure to maintain eye contact created the perception that he was shy and disinterested. Even as the face of the Louisville football program, he shunned media attention and often declined interviews. But his desire to say little always was by design.

"He understands that's a tough city and he understands the minute that a chink in your armor is exposed . . . ," Carter said of the New York market. "Remember, he watched what happened with Mark Sanchez."

Open book

Powell leans forward on the folding chair and clasps his hands together. His eyes dart from side to side before eventually settling on the reddish-brown rubber floor beneath his feet. His words are measured. So is his voice.

Banners featuring great men of the Jets' past hang from the Ring of Honor wall in the indoor facility as Powell speaks of his own journey to the NFL. He talks about fatherhood and how his son Tavis is a constant reminder to be a better man.

"I know he's looking at everything I do," he said.

Powell's quiet nature masks his once-reckless ways. His past transgressions are part of an early chapter in the Book of Bilal. But there is much more to his story -- and far more left to write.

"You just see the book," Kerley said. "You don't turn it over and read the back, you don't open it up and read the first three pages. You just look at him and you're like, he's a quiet kid. He must have gone to a private school or something."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...back-1.6286631

Kerley key in third-down conversions  -- It became a recurring theme on Sunday.

The New York Jets faced a third down. There was Jeremy Kerley to save the drive.

"Pretty much on third down I see myself as the guy to try to go to," Kerley said. "So I make it a big emphasis on my game to make sure third down I turn it up a notch."

Kerley caught a career-high eight passes for 97 yards and one touchdown in the Jets' 30-27 overtime win against the New England Patriots on Sunday, including six balls on third down. Kerley, who did not play in the first meeting against the Patriots, had his best game of the season against the Jets' bitter rival.

"Definitely I had a chip on my shoulder," Kerley said. "There were a couple of guys I wanted to get after and I'm glad that I could today."

The Jets scored on their opening drive for just the second time this season, and it can be largely attributed to Kerley. The Jets faced three third downs that drive, and Kerley was able to get past the marker to keep the drive alive each time. Each catch went for more than 10 yards.

On the third conversion of the opening drive, Kerley found his way into the end zone for a 12-yard score to give the Jets a 7-0 lead early in the first quarter. He finished the first drive with three catches for 36 yards.

"Jeremy was just finding ways to get open," Jets quarterback Geno Smith said. "That's something that he has a knack for. I believe he's a really good slot (receiver) and he always finds way to get open. He makes yards after the catch and he's one of those guys that you can depend on."

The Jets also received a nice game from recently signed David Nelson, who hauled in four catches for 80 yards, which trailed only Kerley in both categories. He made a nice play in the third quarter to haul in a ball down the field with a defensive back hauled all over him. The 80 yards are the third most in his career.

"David did a great job," Smith said. "First of all, he's a tremendous blocker. I don't think he gets enough credit for that. He did a great job of getting open and finding space today. He was running hard. He made some tough catches in some crucial situations. David helped us out, just as every single man did, and I'm just proud to see that his efforts have paid off."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/29620/kerley-key-in-third-down-conversions

Green Day: Are Jets lucky or good?
 -- A few minutes after the New York Jets' 30-27 overtime win over the New England Patriots, I received a text from an old friend in Rhode Island -- yes, a Patriots fan.

"Fix. [b.S.] call," it read.

I'm guessing that pretty much captures the sentiment of the entire New England region.

It was, in fact, the correct call. We're referring, of course, to Chris Jones' unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty, the result of a new and obscure "pushing" rule. Rule 9, Section 1, Article 3 from the NFL rule book states: "Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation."

Jones pushed Will Svitek into Jets blocker Damon Harrison, resulting in the flag. This particular penalty never had been called before, according to the NFL. You know what happened next: Nick Folk, who missed from 56 yards, got another shot from 42 yards. He drilled it, lifting the Jets to a crazy and impressive win.

Bill Belichick argued it's only a penalty when a second-level defender does the pushing. That's not the rule, according to the game officials. Obviously, this became a huge national story. Tony Dungy, a studio analyst for NBC's "Football Night in America," said the call was correct.

“This is a new rule and a rule that the players asked for, a rule for safety," he said on the air. "You cannot push in the middle of the line of scrimmage. Chris Jones comes in from behind and pushes his teammate. This should be called and it had to be called. … It doesn’t say anything about second level. ... It says you cannot push into the line of scrimmage. The officials did a good job calling it."

So maybe this should be remembered as the "Rule 9-Section 1-Article 3" win for the Jets.

When push comes to shove, they have a knack for pulling out improbable victories.

In Week 1, Tampa Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David shoved Geno Smith late out of bounds, resulting in a 15-yard penalty. It set up a makeable field goal for Folk from 48 yards with two seconds left. Jets 18, Bucs 17.

How can one team get so lucky twice? In Week 1, it was a dumb play by David; the Jets almost certainly would've lost without that penalty. This time, it was a really dumb play by Jones, who admitted after the game he was aware of the rule. So, basically, he knowingly tried to pull a fast one on a 56-yard field-goal try, which is akin to fouling a shooter on a 35-foot shot in basketball. If he had kept his hands to himself, the Patriots would've been 15 to 20 yards from their own game-winning field-goal try.

A message to my friend: Consider this the response to your text.

ICYMI: Geno Smith did it again, orchestrating his fourth game-winning drive in fourth quarter/overtime. Only four quarterbacks have done that in their first four wins; the others are Bruce Gradkowski, Troy Aikman and Lynn Dickey. ... The Jets are wildly unpredictable, but it's time to take them seriously. ... Chris Ivory hinted last week that he wasn't happy in his role. He's happy now. ... Jeremy Kerley dominated on third down. He resembled former Jet Wayne Chrebet, who was an honorary captain. ... Josh Cribbs contributed in a variety of ways in his Jets debut. ... S Antonio Allen made the defensive play of the year.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/29638/green-day-are-jets-lucky-or-good

O’s Key Contributors: Jeremy Kerley, Chris Ivory
Geno Smith has had a knack for letting things roll off his back and leading the Jets on to victory, especially in Games 1, 3, 5 and now 7 this season. But for No. 7, No. 7 needed a lot of help on the offense.

WR Jeremy Kerley was a very key contributor to today's 30-27 overtime triumph over the Patriots, with a career-high eight receptions for 97 yards and a touchdown reception to conclude the game's opening drive.

"I just try to go out there and be consistent time and time again," Kerley said modestly after the game, "and it just happened to work out for me today."

And how. Even more impressive than those numbers were the facts that seven of JK's eight grabs produced first downs, seven of them came on third down, and six of those seven resulted in third-down conversions.

The six third-down receiving conversions are the most by a Jet since at least 1970, and the last time a Jet had more than six total third-down conversions in a game was RB Clark Gaines, who racked up seven 3DCs and a fourth-down rushing conversion against the Patriots in 1976. And Kerley's 22-yard reception from Smith on third-and-21 was the longest third-down conversion since 2009.

"The protection was great," Smith said of his and Kerley's connection today. "The offensive line did a great job at seeing the blitz and picking it up. Jeremy just was finding ways to get open. That's something he has a knack for. He's one of those guys you can depend on."

Smith also got dependability from David Nelson, the former Bills receiver and a Jet in his third week who had four outstanding receptions for 80 yards, all for first downs and two converting third downs.

Then there was Chris Ivory, who churned his way to the fourth 100-yard game of his career, 104 yards on 34 carries in all.

"I didn't really know what to expect but I'm ready for whatever game plan they have," said Ivory, who had as many carries today as he had in his first six games as a Jet combined. "Going forward, whatever they have I'm going to be ready for it."

Head coach Rex Ryan said Ivory's extended use — it was the most carries by an individual back in Ryan's five seasons as coach and the 52 team carries were the second-most under Ryan behind the 54 at Oakland in '09 — was only partially due to Bilal Powell's injury late in last week's loss to Pittsburgh.

"Initially, maybe during the week, we had to see where Bilal was," Ryan said. "But Ivory was running extremely hard. We thought it was a good matchup for us and that's why we rode him."

Cribbs Rolls Back into Action

Almost lost in the rousing victory was the fact that Josh Cribbs, signed early in the week to help pick up the slack of losing both RB Mike Goodson and WR-KR Clyde Gates to IR, looked as comfortable as if he had been with the Jets since training camp.

"It just comes with the experience and these guys are busting their tail blocking for me all week," Cribbs said of his introduction to his new home side. "I've always admired the blocking scheme here and the coaches. I'm excited to be a part of this special teams unit because they bust their tail for me. That's why it's easy."

It's also a changeup from the first eight seasons of his NFL career.

"It was different than being in Cleveland, winning these games in tight situations," he said. "It feels good to be a Jet, it feels good to win."

Cribbs had 44 yards on three punt returns and made great decisions on the other four punts by Pats rookie Ryan Allen, added a 17-yard kickoff return and ran the ball three times for 14 yards out of the Wildcat.

Extra Points

The four sacks of Brady were divided among our "haves" and "have-nots." Muhammad Wilkerson's sack was his team-leading sixth of the season and he now has 10 sacks in his last 14 games and eight sacks in his last nine home games. Calvin Pace's sack gives him 32 as a Jet, the most by anyone in green and white since 2008. Meanwhile, Quinton Coples' sack was his first of the year and Damon Harrison's drop of No. 12 was the first of his career. ... Our 27 first downs were the most in a win over New England since 1990, when we had 29 FDs in a 42-7 home win. ... We struggled with nine penalties, but they only went for 45 yards compared to the Pats' seven for 100 yards.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/O%E2%80%99s-Key-Contributors-Jeremy-Kerley-Chris-Ivory-/1628756b-1ad1-49d1-9709-b7ee2f541a06

Rewind: Geno Smith became the first quarterback since the 1970 merger to register four game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime in his first seven games. He did it with a 30-27 overtime win over the New England Patriots. It took some luck (see the controversial "push" penalty on the Patriots) and it took some micromanaging by the coaching staff. After a 6-for-10 first quarter, Smith went only 13-for-23 the rest of the way. The coaches dialed it back as soon as he was intercepted for a touchdown at the end of the first quarter. Smith managed the conservative game plan nicely, converting on third down and running when necessary.

Fast Forward: The Jets go on the road to face the Cincinnati Bengals (5-2). This will be one of Smith's toughest challenges, as the Bengals are ranked ninth in total defense. Smith played poorly against the other top-10 defenses he faced, the Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 6) and the Tennessee Titans (No. 10). The Bengals aren't a big blitzing team -- they've rushed five or more on only 25 percent of the dropbacks -- but they generate excellent pressure from their front four. They will miss CB Leon Hall, who was placed on season-ending injured reserve with a torn Achilles' tendon.

New-look depth chart: The Jets made it official Monday, placing David Garrard on the active roster after a two-week exemption. Matt Simms will remain the No. 2 quarterback, according to Rex Ryan. Garrard's job is to carry the clipboard and serve as a mentor to Smith. Garrard, 35, who came out of retirement for this gig, will be paid handsomely _$54,000 per week, based on his $925,000 salary. If Garrard is pressed into action, the Jets are in trouble in more ways than one. He hasn't taken a snap since 2010.

Prediction: On paper, this isn't a good matchup for Smith. The Bengals are a very good home team, with a talented and physical defense. Prepare for an afternoon of growing pains.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/29808/qb-watch-jets-geno-smith-6

-- He's still learning the playbook, yet being asked to produce on Sunday.

For receiver David Nelson, there's no grace period. The Jets need him to contribute while veteran Santonio Holmes is sidelined with a hamstring injury. Sunday against New England, Nelson responded with his best game as a Jet, catching four balls for 80 yards in the 30-27 overtime win.

"He's actually come here, he's had to learn this system, but almost forced into playing a little bit, and the guy's really stepped up," Jets coach Rex Ryan said Wednesday.

The Jets signed Nelson on Oct. 2 and immediately thrust him into action against Atlanta five days later, with Nelson catching two passes in 15 snaps. The following week against the Steelers, he saw the field for 23 offensive snaps and caught one pass, before playing a season-high 65 snaps against the Patriots.

"As a competitor you come in and you expect a lot from yourself," Nelson said. "And you expect to come in and to play well and whenever the opportunity is presented, you make the play."

As the Jets await the return of Holmes, who hasn't practiced since suffering his hamstring injury on Sept. 29, they're going to need Nelson and Josh Cribbs to produce. The Jets aren't loaded with playmakers at receiver, and without Holmes, their best weapon, it leaves them lacking at the position.

Moving forward, if Nelson is able to produce like he did Sunday, it would help take some of the pressure off Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill and force opposing defenses to account for him. It's as much as the Jets could have hoped for when they signed him less than a month ago.

ICYMI: Ryan said it's not true that the Jets pushed on field goals, and said Patriots coach Bill Belichick needs to make up his mind regarding the penalty ... "Consistency" is the word for Geno Smith this week as he prepares for the Bengals. He has yet to win back-to-back games, and the Jets have done it once in their last 26 games ... Calvin Pace is fine with his decrease in snaps. He's playing approximately 78 percent of defensive snaps, down from 94 percent in 2012 ... Holmes and Jeff Cumberland did not practice. Quarterback David Garrard said running routes for his wife in preparation for flag football games let him know his knees were holding up well enough that he could give the NFL another shot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ling-in-nicely

-- The first time they sat down together to discuss X's and O's, Rex Ryan and Marty Mornhinweg didn't have much privacy. They were on television.

It was January 2007, and their teams -- the Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles, respectively -- had been eliminated from the playoffs in the divisional round. They were invited to NFL Films in Mt. Laurel, N.J., to serve as guest analysts to preview the conference championships.

"I had a chance to meet him in a different way," Ryan, the New York Jets' head coach, said Thursday of his current offensive coordinator. "I really liked him. He was funny. He was smart. That was obvious."

That TV appearance turned out to be a good test of their chemistry. Host Brian Baldinger had to leave after the first segment, leaving Ryan and Mornhinweg alone on the set. They improvised, Ryan breaking down the defensive stuff, Mornhinweg handling the offensive material.

"We fed right off each other," Ryan said.

Six years later, it hasn't changed.

Hiring Mornhinweg was one of Ryan's smartest moves. One year after the Tony Sparano debacle, the Jets actually have a clue on offense. At times, they're not the prettiest, but you never get the feeling that Mornhinweg doesn't know what he's doing.

Under him, the Jets have improved in almost every offensive category, significantly in some cases. They're ranked 15th in total offense, averaging 343 yards per game (up from 299). The last time they sniffed the top 10 was 2010, when they finished 11th with Brian Schottenheimer calling the plays and a still-promising Mark Sanchez playing quarterback.

We could throw out a bunch of impressive numbers to demonstrate Mornhinweg's impact, but it's plainly obvious the Jets are running it better and throwing it better than the past two years. And -- don't underestimate this point -- they're doing it with a rookie quarterback, Geno Smith.

Plus, we're not talking about an abundance of talent here. The Jets don't have a rusher in the top 15 and they don't have a receiver in the top 50. Smith is 27th out of 33 in passer rating. Despite the lack of star power, they've played well in most of the games.

"I think he's done a great job," Ryan said of Mornhinweg. "It's been impressive, without question. He has been impressive."

Philosophically, they're a football odd couple. Mornhinweg's affinity for the passing game figured to clash with Ryan's defensive-minded, ball-control style, but they've made it work.

Recognizing how the game is changing, Ryan let his hair down, so to speak, leaving Ground & Pound in the past. Mornhinweg has adjusted, too, especially the past three weeks. Without injured wide receiver Santonio Holmes, and with Smith coming off a disastrous game in Tennessee in Week 4, Mornhinweg has leaned more on the running game, featuring his inside receivers (tight end and slot) in the passing game.

A team has to throw the ball to score points, according to the Mornhinweg doctrine, but sometimes it takes some dinosaur football to win a game. As Ryan noted in his postgame speech to the team after last Sunday's upset of the New England Patriots, "Our offensive coordinator, seems to me all he wants to do is run, because we ran it 52 times."

The players roared.

"That's funny," Mornhinweg said Thursday.

Ryan hired Mornhinweg because he wanted a coordinator who coached offense the same way he coaches defense -- aggressively. He showed that fearlessness last Sunday. Instead of babying Smith after his first-quarter interception was returned for a touchdown, Mornhinweg called a pass on the ensuing first down -- a 17-yard strike to Stephen Hill.

"We threw the ball a couple of more times right away on purpose, just a 'Let's go,'" Mornhinweg said. "That's just the way we operate."

If Sparano had been calling the plays, he would've had Smith in bubble wrap for the rest of the game.

Ryan is fortunate. Not many head coaches last long enough to hire a third coordinator. This was a make-or-break hire for Ryan, whose rear end is on the hot seat this season.

Mornhinweg, the first to interview for the job, was summoned to the Jets' facility last January. He met for three hours with Ryan, two assistant coaches and center Nick Mangold. It's unusual for a player to be present, but Mangold is respected for his offensive acumen.

The interview covered everything from "soup to nuts," Ryan recalled. Before they got into the heavy stuff, they enjoyed a good laugh, remembering their joint TV appearance at NFL Films. Mornhinweg aced the interview.

"He had me at hello," Ryan said, "but we were going to do our due diligence."

He interviewed a few others and offered the position to Mornhinweg. Once again, they're on TV. Their set is the sideline, and they're feeding off each other.

This time, without makeup.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/29949/ryan-mornhinweg-pairing-perfect-for-jets

After yet another comeback win for the Jets, one that leaves them one game behind the Patriots for second place in the AFC East, it's easy to forget the pervading theme of this up-and-down-and-up-and-down-and-up-and-down-and-up season: Geno Smith's inconsistent play remains a worrisome wild card.

The Jets defense, which has deservedly received a great deal of praise this season, is largely the same, win or lose. The unit has allowed 23.3 points per game in losses and 23 points per game in wins. That's about as consistent as you're going to get.

In fact, they might even be a better group during those losing efforts, considering the added pressure Smith's mistakes are putting on them.

Smith has seven interceptions in the Jets' three losses. He's also fumbled three times, losing two. Those nine turnovers directly resulted in 28 points, either via a fumble/interception return for a touchdown or when the opposing team scored on the ensuing possession.

He's done nothing offensively to mitigate that damage, either. In losing efforts, Smith has one passing touchdown and no rushing touchdowns. He's directly responsible for seven of the Jets' 29 points (24 percent) in losses. Yep, the offense is averaging just 9.6 points per game in those three games.

But in wins? A whole different Geno emerges.

He has four interceptions in the Jets' four wins and has fumbled three times, losing only one. Those five turnovers have also proved less costly, leading to just 13 points -- a touchdown and two field goals.

Whether via his arm or his legs, Smith's offense is vastly improved in victories. He has seven passing touchdowns and two rushing touchdowns in Jets wins, and is directly responsible for 63 of the Jets' 105 points (60 percent).

But it's not as if he suddenly turns from Tom Brady into Josh Freeman when he's in a losing effort.

Smith is 73-for-120 in wins, completing 60.8 percent of his passes and averaging 13.9 yards per catch. He's 57-for-103 in losses, completing 55.3 percent of his passes and averaging 12.3 yards per catch. If those seem like big differences, they're really not. Consider that if he completed just five more passes in those three losses his completion rate would be over 60 percent there, too.

The pressure on Smith has been relatively similar as well. He's been sacked 13 times (losing 98 yards) in wins and 12 times (losing 92 yards) in losses, so it's not as if the offensive line suddenly crumbles when the Jets are down.

When coaches preach ball protection, particularly to rookies, this is the reason. When Smith hangs on to the football, the Jets win. When he doesn't, they lose.

It's a lesson rookies are consistently forced to learn as they migrate to the tougher environ of the NFL.

And the inconsistent Geno Smith is no different.

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/nothing-but-jets-1.1279166/geno-smith-still-the-jets-wild-card-1.6299127

Odd couple off field, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Willie Colon work together on it

Willie Colon whips his head back, letting his shoulder-length dreadlocks fly. He is controlled chaos. A devilish grin wearing a scraggly beard.

And he's everything D'Brickashaw Ferguson is not.

The clean-cut Ferguson is measured. Often bland. And he's the ultimate over-thinker.

But together, they form one hilarious union.

"They're like an old married couple," right tackle Austin Howard said. "It's the funniest thing, cause Brick does Brick, and Willie doesn't like the way Brick does Brick."

Just a few locker stalls separate Colon and Ferguson, a pair of New York natives with Long Island ties who are worlds apart in their demeanor, upbringing and outlook on life.

Their vantage points on the field are as divergent as their backgrounds. But the Jets' success lies in how well the two can help protect rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

Drafted together in 2006, both Colon (a Bronx-born Hofstra product) and Ferguson (the pride of Freeport) have earned millions during their eight-year careers. But for all their similarities and shared experiences, right guard Colon and left tackle Ferguson spend most of their time inside the meeting room, and outside of the facility, squabbling over their inherent differences.

Colon, 30, is fiery and always at full speed. Ferguson, 29, is deliberately slow with an even keel. Colon is a free spirit, a frenetic wild child whose favorite sport seems to be getting under Ferguson's skin. And he always wins.

"I respect Brick to the utmost," Colon said. "I have a problem with the way Brick says and does things sometimes that annoy me.

"Brick is very logical. Conventional. Traditional," he added before flashing a mischievous grin. "He believes in morals. And I'm way right of all that. I'm like chaos. It's bad. But we get along."

Their animated discussions typically are rooted in genuine curiosity. But when either 300-plus-pound lineman refuses to alter his stance, "the conversations get rowdy," Ferguson said.

Said center Nick Mangold: "Willie has a loud enthusiasm, which is fun to have in the room. Especially when him and Brick have an 'airing of grievances,' which they usually do. It's very Festivus-like."

Their disagreements are indicative of their brotherly bond, Colon said.

"Oftentimes I call him my 'frenemy,' " Ferguson said.

It's just good comedy

Their personal battles are waged far from the trenches. And neither is willing to give the other an inch -- especially when it comes to their home turf.

Colon, who signed a $1.2-million deal in March, was Ferguson's training-camp roommate in Cortland. And their "Long Island vs. the boroughs" debate was the first of many spirited conversations to come.

"I'm like, 'Look, man, you might have been born in the Bronx but you chose to come to Hofstra, so obviously you wanted to live that Long Island lifestyle,' " said Ferguson, who has a nearly two-mile stretch of South Ocean Avenue in Freeport named after him.

" . . . So that's where the friction begins."

Known as "The Politician" to his teammates, Ferguson draws out every syllable of his sentences. The words that flow from Colon are colorful in nature, occasionally irreverent and always sincere. And the former Steeler, who is highly intelligent in his own right, is known for taking a far more visceral approach to life.

Said Howard: "Willie is like the friend who wants to get you in trouble all the time."

Colon questioned Ferguson's toughness on Friday after he spotted the left tackle wearing a long-sleeved shirt in sub-60-degree weather. "Offensive linemen don't wear sleeves in games, but in practice, I think you can have a different mentality," the left tackle explained by phone after practice. "But he decided to get on me about that today."

Colon's constant pestering is "a daily-type thing," Ferguson said. But beneath all the bickering is an undeniable bond.

It's all love, they insist.

"Maybe Brick got a peanut butter-and-jelly sandwich and maybe Willie thought he should have gotten a turkey sandwich. Something like that," explained Mangold, who also was drafted in 2006.

"It's just good comedy. You sit back and enjoy it, try to decipher who started it and what they're actually arguing about -- 'cause a lot of the time, no one really knows."

Ferguson -- selected fourth overall out of Virginia -- entered the league to much hype and lofty expectations. Since then, he's been named to the Pro Bowl three times. Colon was taken in the fourth round (131st overall) out of Hofstra. But he has the one thing most of his new teammates covet: a Super Bowl ring.

Colon now finds himself trying to resurrect his injury-filled career after seven years with the Pittsburgh Steelers. And Ferguson must prove he can regain his Pro Bowl-caliber production. But their common ground on the gridiron isn't enough to bridge the gap between their contrasting personalities.

"I don't think either one is willing to fully accept the other person's side," Ferguson said. " . . . It's a constant discussion over why one person's right and one person's wrong."

They boldly go where . . .

The fictional characters are an extension of the player, Matt Simms explained.

The first-year quarterback admitted it's "weird" that he, Colon and Ferguson have such a strong affinity for the recently released video "Star Trek Into Darkness." But after a while it becomes apparent. Colon is "Captain Kirk," the leader who doesn't believe in rules and does his own thing. And Ferguson, of course, is "Commander Spock."

"Spock is very logical," Colon said. "If it's not the truth, it doesn't make sense. But they're best friends, they get along, they love each other. So that's kind of how me and Brick's relationship is."

And Simms?

"They say I'm like that little weird guy that hangs out with "Scotty" , so I don't know," Simms said.

Their debates range from the silly to the introspective. One time they discussed the concept of time travel at length. On a different day, they took turns answering the question "What superhero would you want to be?" (Answer: Ferguson would be "Magneto" from X-Men "because his ability to manipulate metal makes him versatile." Said Colon: "I said I wanted to teleport or something like that.").

Debates with Ferguson, a religious studies major, often last all day. But everyone knows no one can match Colon's mouth.

Still, Ferguson admits his new right guard is exactly what the Jets needed.

"I don't know if we've had guys that are that fiery,'' he said. "We've had very animated, great players like Bart Scott and Kris Jenkins. But this is the first time in a while where we've had this on the offense, and particularly in the offensive line room."

Most offensive linemen are "unheard characters" who just do their jobs, Ferguson said. But Colon demands to be both seen and heard.

"He can do that because he's been in big games," Ferguson said. "He's been through the struggles, he knows what it is to play in this league. So it gives him that credibility where people listen to him. It's not just hot air. He knows about that life. It's good to have that type of energy."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...n-it-1.6325802

Last week, the Jets signed free agent wide receiver Greg Salas to their active roster. Jets fans might not know too much about Salas, so we’ve therefore been looking at game footage in detail to investigate what he could bring to the table.

The 25-year old Salas is a 6’1″, 210 pound receiver who was a fourth round pick in 2011 out of Hawaii. He appeared in six games for the St Louis Rams in his rookie season, catching 27 passes, but was then traded to the New England Patriots last year and hardly played. The Jets signed him off the Eagles practice squad on the same day as they signed Josh Cribbs.

After the jump, a review of Salas’ career and observations from having looked at film from the last few seasons to evaluate some of his strengths and weaknesses.

Who is Greg Salas?

Greg Salas had a productive four year career at Hawaii, operating in a pistol-spread offense. He started to emerge as a sophomore and then took the next step when he moved into a slot receiver role in his junior year. He was third in the country in receiving yards and made over 100 receptions and then improved on those numbers as a senior, leading the nation and earning a third-team all-American nomination.

After running a 4.53 at the combine and adding impressive numbers in the short shuttle (4.10), vertical jump (37″) and broad jump (120″), Salas was drafted by the Rams in the fourth round and moved into a backup role after catching seven passes in preseason. He made one start and averaged over 35 snaps per game in six appearances. He caught 27 passes for 264 yards, including an eight catch performance (for 77 yards) against the Packers, but then was placed on injured reserve in week 10.

After being traded to the New England Patriots for a draft pick last year, Salas made just one appearance and played just six snaps on offense (with no targets). He was then released and picked up on waivers by the Eagles before the Patriots could put him on their practice squad.

After remaining with the Eagles for the rest of the season but not seeing any action, he was unable to make their final roster this year and ended up on their practice squad. The Jets signed him from the Eagles’ practice squad, which means he must – by rule – remain on the Jets’ active roster for at least three weeks. He’s currently injured, though, so we may not see him in action until after the bye, although he is only listed as questionable for this weekend’s game.

The Numbers

Third season
Seven games
One start
27 catches, 264 yards, no touchdowns
9.8 yards per catch
77% catch rate (last five seasons only)
Four drops
One carry for eight yards rushing
Two punt returns for 29 yards and three fair catches
Two fumbles as a receiver (not lost), one muffed punt (lost)
One tackle on special teams
Two 20+ yard plays (longest = 21 yards)

Observations

Based on all the footage watched, here was what Salas brings to the table, divided into categories:

Usage - Salas is regarded as a slot specialist. In 2011, the Rams used him in the slot on 178 of his 197 snaps. However, in preseason this year with the Eagles, he played on the outside a lot more and was in the slot just 13 times on 126 snaps.

Deep threat – Salas has been employed mostly as a possession receiver in the NFL. In fact, only three of his 35 targets in 2011 went more than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. (He caught one, for 19 yards, and dropped one). He’s not entirely incapable of getting downfield though, as he showed on this spectacular play against the Patriots in preseason.

Blocking - It can’t be a coincidence that Salas is a solid blocker, just like the other two receivers signed recently (Josh Cribbs and David Nelson). All the linemen the Jets added during the offseason are good on the move and fit well in a west coast style blocking scheme and all the backs they’ve brought in have been elusive open field runners that can thrive in space. In a similar vein, the Jets seem to be targeting very specific types of receiver to fit into their offense. Having attended Hawaii (where he was a teammate of Alex Green) Salas will have some familiarity with pistol-based blocking schemes. In particular, he did a good job of blocking down on linebackers from the slot to help set the edge and seemed to have a good understanding of timing and angling his approach correctly. I didn’t see any mistakes either.

Routes - Salas catches a ton of short passes, so there’s little to assess in terms of complex route running patterns. On one play he showed good instincts to leak out into the flat after a blown play and he would seem to have all the tools to run quick outs and slants, although didn’t display this much in the footage watched. His one downfield catch came on a throw down the seam where he ran a go route into zone coverage.

Hands - As evidenced by the above film clip, Salas is capable of spectacular catches. His 77% catch rate speaks to his reliability too. That was the highest percentage in the league in 2011 for any receiver with 35 or more targets. While he does have four drops, one of these was a concentration drop in the flat and the other three were not routine catches. Perhaps the bigger concern is fumbles. He muffed one punt and had two fumbles as a receiver, one where the ball rolled out of bounds and another where his teammate recovered it. Perhaps more worryingly, there were two other plays where he almost fumbled but was ruled down.

Yards after the catch – This is another area where Salas has great numbers. He averaged 8.5 yards after the catch per reception in 2011 which was the most in the league for anyone with more than 20 catches. That’s particularly impressive considering his longest gain was only 21 yards, so there were no big plays with easy downfield yardage to artificially inflate the numbers. However, if you look at his 9.8 yards per catch average, you realize that he caught the ball less than two yards downfield on average, which gives some clues as to how he was used. Sure enough, he caught 11 of his 27 passes behind the line of scrimmage, gaining 108 yards.

Salas had three broken tackles and showed excellent elusiveness, further evidence of which is available on this touchdown he scored in preseason. He has a good sense of how to follow his blockers when catching screen passes and an ability to squirm out of tackles and fall forward for a couple of extra yards.

Special Teams – Salas is an option at punt returner, where he fielded five punts as a rookie. He had one sensational return for 29 yards, where he broke several tackles, but did also muff one, causing a turnover. He was also used as a punt gunner and while he only had one tackle, it was a good one, as he beat a double-vice and twisted the return man to the ground on the outside after a short return.

Demeanor - I didn’t see anything too significant in terms of cockiness and Salas has had no penalties in his NFL action so far. By all accounts, he is a hard-working player with a good attitude that should be fun to root for if he gets a decent shot.

Injuries – Salas had his 2011 season cut short with a broken leg and is currently dealing with a knee issue, but did return to practice this week (and has been listed as questionable). The timing of the signing was somewhat mystifying (especially since he has to remain on the roster for three weeks anyway), because the Jets were fully aware of the injury, which was no secret because the Eagles had gone out and signed another scout team receiver to replace him. He did remain healthy in college.

Conclusions

Salas didn’t exactly fall into a great situation in his first couple of seasons, firmly rooted behind Danny Amendola and then Wes Welker on the Rams and Pats depth charts. Having said that, he heads to New York with Jeremy Kerley emerging as one of the better slot receivers in the league so again he seems destined to be a bit part player unless there are more injuries.

Salas’ blocking is good and his open field running is outstanding, so I could see them putting him into certain packages that will best utilize his skill-set. As a rookie, he did make several mistakes which ate into his opportunities, especially early in the season. However, when given chances, he did produce and made some significant positive contributions.

While the timing of this signing was somewhat baffling, perhaps that’s a sign that there was competition for his services and the Jets needed to pull the trigger. That would show how high on him they are, while also showing that there was at least one other team that was interested in retaining his rights. Of course, it may also have been timed so that he could give them some intel on the Patriots for last week’s game.

This looks to be a signing with some upside, but also someone who is a good fit for the offensive scheme and with some NFL experience which will come in handy if called upon for a more significant role.

Note: While the Jets also signed cornerback Ras-I Dowling this week, he was only added to the practice squad, so you won’t get a BGA scouting report on him unless and until he’s called up to the active roster.

http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-scouting-greg-salas/

Archived