Salary Cap Calculator

jason423

Of course not.

Who? The list I'm looking at over at JetsCap isn't complete, but I don't see who you could be talking about there. There's no core player due up next year.... none. 2015, I'm just seeing Cro, Kerley and Harris. Even if you re-sign Cro and Harris, they probably won't make more than they do now. Kerley might have a decent payday but no big deal, really. Fully expect Wilkerson to get done this off-season. Other than that, not much to worry about. It's not like that time we had Ferguson, Mangold, Harris and I believe Revis due up in the same year.

Maybe core guys wasn't the right word for all of them, I more meant guys that constitute some of our starters that I'd like to hold onto and sign before they hit the open market. Outside of the ones I mentioned signing this year, in 2015 Damon Harrison is a RFA, but it might behoove us to sign him to a cheaper multi-year deal and then we'll have to make some decisions on Cro, Harries Kerley, Powell, Wilson, Kenrick Ellis and then the following year you've got Coples, Davis, Hill, Allen and Bush.  

I'm sure we'll be letting a lot of these guys walk, but it's definitely something you have to keep in mind going forward.

Spread the money around?

Maurice Jones-Drew

Hakeem Nicks

Jermichael Finley

Julian Edelman

Dustin Keller

re-sign Cumberland

WR: Nicks, Hill, Kerley, Edelman, Nelson/Gates/whatever

TE: Finley, Keller, Cumberland

RB: MJD, Ivory, Powell

Not including draft picks.

Re-sign Keller?  Seriously?  No way, Jose.  With Kerley, we have no use for Edelman. I wouldn't be surprised if Finley retires after the scare he got this year.  If he's healthy and committed to playing, sure, but doubt GB would let him go.  

Nicks is a possibility.  MJD less so imo.  He's getting older and has had some injury issues.  I think I'd rather draft a RB in the 4th-5th round.

Only bad thing is there is not really any good free agents this year in the areas we need

the plan is to be consistently competitive long term. Idzik wants have enough money to sign your good young players long term, add FA's as needed.

no need to spend it all in one weekend

Keyshawn was a loudmouth and all that, and you may not have liked him but he was absolutely a true, #1, go-to WR.  Maybe I just measure it differently.  I look at a #1 as a guy who is your go-to guy who doesn't drop the ball, who can jump up and go get it on poorer throws, and who, if he's in single-coverage, is wide open.  

Peyton decided to stay in school for another year because of where he might have ended up.  If Tuna told Archie he was drafting Peyton #1 then he'd have come out.  Parcells felt we needed more than just 1 player and wanted to keep trading down (and getting historically awful value for those trades as team after team swindled him).  Also he wanted to play the part of instant-savior and historically the chances of that are low when you're breaking in a rookie QB.

It's all just opinion, but I don't get how you think Keyshawn wasn't a #1 WR but 5'8"/170-lb Tavon Austin is.  (You don't draft a WR #8 in the country if you don't think he's a true #1).

And go f*ck yourself that you got to see SBIII live and were old enough to have appreciated it.  Seriously.  F*ck you.  My great Jets season memories were a handful of AFCCG losses, all really bad ones from Freeman getting stuck in the mud + Richard Toddchez throwing a dozen picks, to Curtis Martin doing his invisibility act (and fumbling, along with our other butterfingers players), to Sanchez being a useless sack of sh*t.  And I'm pretty sure I'll die before they ever get back to the SB.  But they'll show some promise.  Oh yes they'll show that promise.  My father's a lifelong Giants fan so I must have been born with brain damage.  Hits every 3rd generation in my family.

As my #1 WR I want a receiver who has the qualities you listed, but also one who has good speed and isn't lead-footed like Keyshawn was.  I would also like having him be a team player, not someone who badmouthed teammates or was just about his stats.  I liked his competitive fire and the fact that he wanted the ball in key situations, but he went about it the wrong way.

I didn't say that I thought Tavon Austin was a #1 WR.  Generally, I agree that if you take a WR that high, he should be a #1, but Austin is an exeption.  He was ready made for the NFL.  He is a dynamic playmaker and difference maker par excellence with great speed.  It was pretty much believed that he wouldn't have much of an adjustment to make to the NFL and would be successful pretty quickly.  Think about what he would have brought not only to the Jets' offense, but how much he would have helped Geno's development and transition.

ROFLMAO.  Sorry you missed the SB, but I was so young, it didn't help me that much, and wasn't as meaningful as it would have been had I been an adult at the time it happened.  When I started watching the NFL as a child I also saw the great Lombardi-coached Packer teams who won every year in the early-to-mid 60s.  Then they fell off a cliff and like the Jets, were pretty much horrible until Favre came along.  When Joe Willie Namath was drafted I started watching and rooting for the Jets.  In some ways, seeing the Jets so good then with sound coaching from Weeb has made it harder to endure all the awful years with laughably bad draft picks, management decisions and play.  The only really bearable period since Namath were the years with Klecko & the Sack Exchange, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, etc.   2009 & 2010 gave me some hope.  I had had my fill of false promise and disappointment and continual stupidity on the part of Jets owners, GMs and HCs. Then after 2011 & 2012, I was getting angry again about Woody's stupidity and Rex's mishandling of things.    If Tanny hadn't been fired, I almost certainly would have turned my back on the Jets for as long as Woody owned the team.  Enough was enough.

At least with having brain damage, you have a rational excuse for being a Jets fan.  I have none.   :winking0001:   Seriously, I have seen it posited on more than one Jets board that we must all have brain damage or be masochists, and think there's probably a grain of truth in it.

Hold on, my friend.  I have a VERY good feeling about this team under Idzik and with the young talent it has.

Archived