Hakim is confident. I like it. Ironman football is back.

pointman

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/45183/sorry-sammy-youre-not-getting-away-from-hakim

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets wide receiver Saalim Hakim made the best play of the day for a cornerback, and he was more than happy to tell you how he did it. 

Hakim is used on defense occasionally due to his speed, and saw Bills rookie wide receiverSammy Watkins catch the ball in the second quarter on Sunday. 

"I think I seen the ball go deep, and I was on the fake blitz," Hakim said after the Bills' 43-23 win. "And then once I see the ball deep and he caught it, I was like, 'Aw man, I got to go get him.' So I had to turn my speed up a little bit. I had to switch gears because I know he's a fast dude, too." 

And then Hakim saw Watkins point to the stands, already starting to celebrate a touchdown, slowing just a step on the way to the end zone. Hakim had his opening. He dove and pulled the Bills' rookie wide receiver down. 

Was there any chance Watkins was going to get away? 

"No, when I'm chasing anybody he ain't getting away," Hakim said. "He going to learn and he's going to see it on film, too. He's not getting away from Hakim." 

Hakim pulled Watkins down five yards short of the end zone, but with an 84-yard completion. 

Hakim has been used situationally on defense. The Jets' lack of depth at the position is well-known with prospective starters Dexter McDougle and Dee Milliner out for the season with injuries. Hakim said he feels more like a defensive player. 

"I like playing cornerback," Hakim said. "I have no problem with cornerback if I'm not going to get any receiver time or anything. I don't mind playing cornerback and I do love playing defense. And I don't mind hitting nobody, either."

Archived