flgreen

EA Q&A: A Glance at Gailey's Attack

Posted 11 minutes ago

Eric Allen

Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet Programming

Email @eallenjets On the Inside

Jets Have Depth Along OL, Guard Battle Will Be Interesting

@eallenjets why should Jets fans be optimistic about the team this year

EA: The pairing of GM Mike Maccagnan and HC Todd Bowles is off to a good start. In need of corner help, the Green & White saw a draft class that wasn’t loaded with impact players. And with financial flexibility, the Jets delivered in free agency with the additions of Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine. The Jets didn’t need another stud defensive lineman, but they made the right play in the first round of the draft by taking perhaps the top overall player in Leonard Williams. Then in the third round, they grabbed an outside ‘backer – Louisville product Lorenzo Mauldin - for Bowles/Kacy Rodgers as they run a 3-4. The Jets were effective rushing the passer last year, but they will be more proficient there in 2015 with more talent in the front seven and the upgrades in the secondary (don’t forget S Marcus Gilchrist).

In my mind, the most important stat for this defense will be takeaways. What separates the good units from the elite ones are takeaways and this ’15 defense has enticing potential. Maccagnan went the trade route to get one of the most productive receivers in football (Brandon Marshall) and an experienced veteran quarterback (Ryan Fitzpatrick) for offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. The Green & White also added a vertical threat in second-rounder Devin Smith and opposition safeties will have to respect that speed. In league circles, Gailey is well respected both as a play-caller and a coach who can get the most out of his players. That was a terrific hire by Bowles, a coach you can see was heavily influenced by Bill Parcells in his approach. I could go on… Plenty of reasons for excitement.

@eallenjets which players benefit the most from the arrival of Chan Gailey? (Besides Fitzpatrick)

EA: Interesting question. Bowles selected Gailey because he isn’t married to one system. He will adapt to his personnel and put them in the best position to make plays. “He’s even-keeled as far as run, pass…,” Bowles said of Gailey at rookie camp. “He has a good running game and a good passing game.” I think Jeff Cumberland & Jace Amaro are players to keep an eye on. Cumberland, a former receiver on the collegiate level who has developed as a blocker, is one of the faster tight ends in football. Amaro, a Texas Tech product, had 38 receptions and 2 TDs as a rookie. Former Bills TE Scott Chandler, who was a quality pick-up for the Patriots, combined for 12 TDs under Gailey in 2011-’12. “It is definitely an offense where things are wide open. We get to flex out our tight ends a bunch and use those guys as wideouts,” QB Geno Smith said.

@eallenjets @nyjets how do you see the o-line shaping out?

EA: One of the more intriguing position battles at camp could be at guard. Former Seahawk OL James Carpenter signed in March and would figure to start. Willie Colon re-signed, Oday Aboushigained valuable starting experience last year, Brian Winters is working back from an ACL injury and Dakota Dozier is a player with upside. Dozier is not talked about often, but he could be poised to take a jump. Jarvis Harrison, a fifth-round selection from Texas A&M, is a 6’4”, 330-pounder who looks the part and has good feet. You need quality guard play in the AFC East with monsters like Ndamukong Suh, Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams lined up across the way.

@eallenjets @nyjets What has impressed you most about Bryce Petty so far?

EA: It is so early, but there are plenty of things to like about Petty. He carries a workmanlike approach and he wants to be good. There are natural leadership qualities that you see and he has embraced this transition. I like his size, arm strength and delivery. Most rookie quarterbacks are a little bit on the thin side, but Petty is well-built. I didn’t see any problems with his snaps from under center last weekend, so nerves weren’t a problem at rookie camp. But Petty hasn’t even stepped on the field with the full squad yet. Coach Bowles has been clear about the QB depth chart.

@eallenjets @nyjets Been watching a lot of 2012 Bills games, how comparable do you think our offense will be to that?

EA: Well 2012 was a career-year for C.J. Spiller as he combined for 1,703 yards on 250 total touches. The Bills finished sixth overall in rushing (138.6 ypg) and also fourth in rush carry average (5.0). The explosive Spiller is a different type of back than Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Stevan Ridley and company. While Ivory has deceptive speed, he doesn’t know the directions east or west. With that squad, Gailey ran a lot of 3 WR, 1 TE & 1 RB sets. This Jets team has far superior talent at the wide receiver position than that Bills squad. I wouldn’t get too caught up with 2012 just because Fitzy was there. To study Gailey, you really have to make it a Memorial Day Marathon and look at Steelers, Cowboys and Georgia Tech film just to name a few.

@eallenjets @nyjets What exactly is Bowles' plan for @leonardwilliams DE? DT? 3 technique?

EA: I don’t anticipate Coach Bowles revealing the plan for Williams. It is all going to be game-plan specific, but Williams is a versatile defender. He obviously can line up as a 3-4 DE, but he can move to a three-technique in pass-rush situations. More than a one-trick pony, Leo is stout against the run and he should only develop as a pass rusher. The Jets are going to make teams pick their poison – who you going to double?

Hey @eallenjets .. where do you see Devin Smith lining up with all of the talent we already have at WR ?

EA: Ah, a question to make Jets Nation smile. Smith gained experience both on the outside and the slot at Ohio State. Chan Gailey will mix up personnel groupings, so it all depends on how many wideouts are on the field. The Jets OC is going to use all of the grass/turf to stretch opponents out and Smith can create room. Brandon Marshall, while dangerous on the outside, has also been awfully effective at the slot position in the past running two-way gos. And as far as special teams are concerned, Smith wasn’t just an effective player for the Buckeyes – he was a stellar performer. I’m looking forward to speaking to coordinator Bobby April about the speedster.

Thank you so much!!!

This is just an outstanding post!!!

Has me fired up!!!

And not to beat a dead horse, I really believe it highlights the difference between the last two GMs we had here working with the Rex.

The key is there is a real plan in place between the HC and GM.

They are not working at cross purposes and it shows in the talent level and the overall depth throughout the team.

This is refreshing and while it might not win us a SB it at least has us pointed in the right direction.

I also like the fact that Bowles doesn't tell the media what his plans are. I love the "game plan specific" comment.  That is the way to do it. Keep your opponents guessing.... Unlike Rex who felt the need to broadcast everything to anybody who would listen....  I think Belicheck is going be very wary of Bowles.  

Archived