Rex Ryan regrets his playoff guarantee.... LOL!

32EBoozer

cD05ODdlNmNhY2MwMjRlZWQzNTJhM2ViYTQ1Y2VlY2YzOCZnPWYzMzA3NDAxYjE3Y2FjNzU5M2MyNTlmZDg0MGVhMjY5Getty Images

Nearly a year ago, Rex Ryan arrived as the head coach of the Bills, and he instantly guaranteed an end to the team’s long playoff drought.

The run of futility continues, and on Monday the head coach expressed regret regarding his decision to make a guarantee on which his team failed to deliver.

“We just didn’t produce the wins I thought we would,” Ryan told WGR 550 radio in Buffalo, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “The thing that kind of gives this team a black eye when we’re looking at it, is that I let my mouth get ahead of everything. And I think if I would have come in there and just said, ‘Hey, we’re gonna compete’ and do all that stuff, maybe we wouldn’t have such a bad feeling about this team.”

PFT recently brought back some of the comments from Ryan’s introductory press conference, which created expectations that the team was unable to satisfy.

“I know it’s been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs,” Ryan said. “Well get ready, man, we’re going. We are going. . . . My message to our team is to get ready. Start preparing now. Start preparing that we’re going to be playing games in January.”

He also called the team’s defensive performance in 2014 (fourth overall) “disappointing,” and he vowed that the Bills would have the best defense in the league.

He was wrong on both counts, and he has proven once again the importance of managing expectations.

The next question becomes whether Ryan will simply say, “Hey, we’re gonna compete” when it’s time to start talking about 2016 — or whether he’ll once again yield to the temptation to grab a bat and point to the fence before inevitably hitting a popup that barely clears the infield.

Rex shows that above all else HE NEVER LEARNS from previous mistakes. Look how many times his predictions for the Jets backfired and yet the FIRST THING he does as Bills HC is THE SAME THING. I hope Buffalo signs him to a lifetime contract, they deserve him.

Don't get me wrong as I'm very happy that Rex is in this franchise's rear view mirror.  However, we did get to 2 AFC title games during his tenure.  It could be argued he had the most successful coaching stint this franchise has seen since Weeb Ewbank.

And for those who are praising Bowles, remember that he too is taking over the team from the prior regime.  So just like some criticize Rex for winning w/ Mangini's team, let's not forget Bowles is in year 1.

That said, I am a fan of Bowles/Maccagnan and happy w/ the direction this franchise is heading.

The first two years were great, but he had a tremendous amount of good fortune go his way, and he was in the right place at the right time and capitalized on it. 

Mangini could not coach, but he put together a pretty solid roster and had a good mix of veterans and high character young players, that got sick of Mangini's wannabe BB without the winning ways. Rex being the antithesis of Mangini, did a great job with a few key additions.

Beyond that, Rex was absolutely atrocious in every way possible. I came as close as I ever came to not being a Jets fan anymore because of Rex. I despised everything about the Jets when he was their face, and had he been retained for even one more year, I may have been done. And I have put up with a lot from the Jets. I can deal with his bad coaching, I can deal with his incompetence, but what I could not deal with was the bad coaching, incompetence, and his clown show combined that he made me deal with for 4 years.

Archived