Fitz interview with Boomer/Carton

#bman

Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick reacts to losing bet, getting buzz cut from Juston Burris (AUDIO)

Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick reacts to losing bet, getting buzz cut from Juston Burris (AUDIO)

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — During a WFAN radio interview Thursday morning with Craig Carton and Boomer Esiason, Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick offered some good-natured comments about losing the bet that resulted in his new haircut

Fitzpatrick had been sporting a giant poof of hair, upon his return to the Jets for training camp, following a lengthy contract standoff. But when he showed up for practice Wednesday, he had a buzz cut

"So basically, my hair was just stupid," Fitzpatrick said. "I needed to cut it. I was going to cut it anyway. It was a nice little poof. I told the defense, I went up to [safety] Rontez Miles and a few of the guys and said, 'The next person that picks me off gets to give me a fresh summer 'do.'" 

And the guy who did the honors — rookie cornerback Juston Burris. He picked off Fitzpatrick on Tuesday, and then later shaved the quarterback's head. 

"I threw it to a rookie, too, which was awful, like a double whammy," Fitzpatrick said.

champ2.gif

"But it was one of those things [where] it got picked off, and I actually was kind of smiling about it, because I finally got to cut that thing off the top of my head." 

Fitzpatrick said that, with the new haircut, he must put a little more air in his helmet's padding system, so the helmet fits properly. 

"This was not as pretty as the initial cut," Fitzpatrick said of his current haircut. "The initial cut was Burris, and then I did it myself afterward [to clean it up]." 

So while Burris, whom the Jets drafted in Round 4, might have a future in the NFL, it seems he doesn't have a future as a barber. 

Here is Fitzpatrick's interview with Carton and Esiason: 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com.

Thanks for posting this. 

Fitzy is an awesome guy. Maybe not the best passer we can find but he is the best personality for this mix of veterans and young guys. Great friend, great teammate and a great leader. Now let's make it to the playoffs Fitzy. 

Archived