Step 2: Assemble a First in Class Coaching Staff

varjet

What the Jets can spend on players is capped, and the Jets generally spend it.  If they want to build a sustainable competitor, they need to invest in a First in Class Coaching Staff.   That is really the best way for them to differentiate themselves from other teams.

In Step 1, I suggested that the Jets improve their organizational structure.  Not all agreed.  This point has gotten alot of press lately because of Macc's admission that he and Bowles were equals in the organizational structure.

But regardless of that, coaching,scheming and developing is the best way for the Jets to improve themselves, other than by improving the roster.  It would appear to me that Woody's preferred approach is to hire a first time defensive minded coach as HC, likely a coordinator, and then from there fill with a relatively weak DC (because he assumes that the HC will still basically DC) and then an experienced OC.

Bowles was the coordinator of the year in 2014.  It obviously appears that the defensive scheme lacks coaching.   Offensively, Gailey appears to run out of gas.  As a general matter, the offensive players appear to be growing (or at least the OL, which has overachieved, and the WRs, who are young but catching the ball), but the defensive side appears to be moving in rapid reverse.  Special teams have also been problematic.

Interestingly, look at the Eagles, who have Doug Pedersen, with Frank Reich as OC (a real OC in support) with Jim Schwartz, as DC.  This is a team that has been well coached.  Remember the Parcells staff, which had top coaches from top to bottom.

The lack of QB development also appears alarming.  The Jets are in developmental QB mode-they need to staff up for that.

It would be my initial view that the Jets could use more and better coaches next year, regardless of whether Bowles stays or not.

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

The lack of QB development also appears alarming.  The Jets are in developmental QB mode-they need to staff up for that.

It would be my initial view that the Jets could use more and better coaches next year, regardless of whether Bowles stays or not.

In order to assemble a first class coaching staff Todd Bowles cannot be any part of it. 

Let's be 100% honest here. Todd Bowltite is a total and complete buffoon of HC. The fact the he and the GM are "equals" is not only alarming, but it is downright scary, and that accounts for us finding ourselves at 3-7 heading to 3-13, or 4-12 at best.

Today I read that Todd Bowltite is afraid to start the young QB(s) because he is afraid his precious players will quit on him? Maybe Bowltite has not been keeping up on current events, but they have quit already! Was he at the debacle last Sunday? And to play a QB who is useless basically because of what his employees think exudes weakness. That alone should make changing the CS a no brainer. Think of what BB, BP or any other REAL football HC would do if their players quit on them for any reason. Those player(s) would be immediately exiled to Cleveland, Jacksonville, or here LOL as the worst team/(s) in the NFL with no questions asked.

This whole thing is F'ed up. No matter what the pro continuity members of this site says or thinks, we need to change the CS period. I would be all for continuity had we had a CS that was competent and had some semblance of a future. This one has none of either. Afraid to play a young player for fear of his over rated over paid under achieving players will quit on him cowardly and totally unacceptable in professional sports.

25 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Let's be 100% honest here. Todd Bowltite is a total and complete buffoon of HC. The fact the he and the GM are "equals" is not only alarming, but it is downright scary, and that accounts for us finding ourselves at 3-7 heading to 3-13, or 4-12 at best.

Today I read that Todd Bowltite is afraid to start the young QB(s) because he is afraid his precious players will quit on him? Maybe Bowltite has not been keeping up on current events, but they have quit already! Was he at the debacle last Sunday? And to play a QB who is useless basically because of what his employees think exudes weakness. That alone should make changing the CS a no brainer. Think of what BB, BP or any other REAL football HC would do if their players quit on them for any reason. Those player(s) would be immediately exiled to Cleveland, Jacksonville, or here LOL as the worst team/(s) in the NFL with no questions asked.

This whole thing is F'ed up. No matter what the pro continuity members of this site says or thinks, we need to change the CS period. I would be all for continuity had we had a CS that was competent and had some semblance of a future. This one has none of either. Afraid to play a young player for fear of his over rated over paid under achieving players will quit on him cowardly and totally unacceptable in professional sports.

What you read was a Manish article that as usual is likely only a portion true.

I think the true story is a bit complex and perhaps more troubling.  If the story is in the least bit true, it is because the players do not feel like Petty is a real NFL QB.  That means we drafted someone last year, had him practice almost 2 years, and still have him be useless.  I am having a tough time believing Petty is that bad and Prescott can walk onto the field as a rookie not only contend for ROTY, but MVP.  

I think its too early to put Petty in, but in true garbage time when every vet is playing for their job next year (last 3-4 games), put Petty in.   

Archived