Superbowl Winning Strategy

NZ Jets Fan

A couple of suggestions on how we could win a superbowl within the next few years

1. Coach hiring frequency

The strategy of hiring new head coach every 2-3 years hasn't worked, as we haven't won a superbowl in nearly 50 years. 

We should hire a new HC every year on 1 year contract until we find one who can win us a Superbowl.

If they don't win superbowl in first year cut bait and move on to the next coach.

Bowles went 10-6 last year so should have been fired after that failure.

2. Signing of key position players

The Jets have demonstrated that it is possible to wait until last minute before signing their starting QB [the most important skill position player]. This resulted in a very team friendly contract for Jets. It was a little surprising that they signed him as they had told us Geno would be the man this year and gave him priority in the pre-season. I'm sure the players all found the pre-season practice with Geno very valuable were impressed with the commitment of the front office to build on the previous years 10-6 record rather than penny pinch on most important position.

Also shows that Macc is a tough negotiator and not someone to mess with so should help Jets when looking to sign FA's and resigning existing players.

This move was so successful it should be used for all skill position players. 

3. Draft strategy

Taking Hack in the 2nd round and not dressing him for season may have provided the blueprint for development of superbowl calibre quarterbacks. Other teams are almost certain to copy this move as we have seen with Eagles and Rams actually playing the QB they drafted is unlikely to result in superbowl victory this year. So the evidence definitely supports us.

Exception may be Dallas who have played the QB they drafted because of injury. Also Dallas is not really comparable as they went 4-12 last year and failed to fire their coach. They would have been much better off firing Garrett last year and hiring a rookie Head Coach . Football is a simple game and smooth transition from a co-ordinator role or college coaching should be achievable during OTA's in preseason. No evidence of learning curve as 31/32 coaches fail to win superbowl each year regardless of what experience they have.

Hopefully not to long.

Bowltite must be replaced based on our team getting worse instead of better. All we've heard all season from him is "we need to get better, we need to correct mistakes", yada yada yada, but all we seem to do is get worse.

1) We need a competent offensive minded HC to be hired by our GM, and that HC allowed to hire his own CS. None of these men are to be hired by the owner or his cronies. We need a man who can instill a system that is a proven winner. That system will work regardless of the players we have (See NE Dynasty). Maybe let Mac hire Doug Marrone like he originally wanted to? Also have to see who else gets canned on Black Monday..

2) We need to find a franchise QB obviously. I would maybe take a 1-2 year flyer on Jay Cutler while we develop someone else either on the roster or to be drafted. I wonder how many more Dak Prescotts are going to be out there in the coming draft(s). If we have the right CS and especially QB Coach and OC, Cutler can be a very successful QB for us in the short term.

3) We have to stop throwing money at veteran players and replace them after their rookie contracts expire, same as NE always does. It amazes me how they always win with a bunch of no names, besides the QB. Their RB's, WR's, OL and D are all nobodies. I know a few of the names but that is it and they are 11-2. Amendola, Edelman and Blount would be nothing had they played outside the Bellichick system. Wasn't Blount cut by TB? Wasn't Amendola an ex Ram?

4) Draft smarter. Do not give up any picks for aging veterans who will only sign and get fat like Mo, Revis and the rest of the fat cat's. If we are at the top of the draft, we really need to trade down and parlay 1 pick into several lower round picks. We also need to hit on some #2 picks one of these years, our 2nd rounder's have been disastrous for many years now and it is showing. We need to build the foundation first, OL, DL and for god's sakes, get a speed pass rusher that we have lacked since John Abraham played here. You build your O and D Lines the right way and you are set, all of the other pieces will fall into place.

5) We need ST speed and someone to return kicks, not Jalin Fumble, or Ross who cannot run. These types of gouys can be found at the bottom of the draft board in most cases, but like everything else, we have missed on several of them. Also have needed a punter forever as well. Lac Edwards will be gone next year, he is awful. This Jet team has the absolute worst ST's I think I have ever seen on an NFL football field. They NEVER EVER start a possession past their 30 yard line!

All of this is easier said than done I realize, but we have to start to become non-dysfunctional and the first place to start is replacing Todd Bowles with a new offensive minded HC to be selected by the GM.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Archived