Washington/RB : Washington learning lessons well ~ ~ ~

kelly

Washington learning lessons well

Rookie in mix for time at RB after solid preseason

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/6/06

BY ANDREW GROSS / STAFF WRITER

Last week, newly acquired running back Kevan Barlow compared learning the Jets' offense to taking a college course. His backfield colleague, rookie Leon Washington, takes it a little further.Like other players, Washington went from classroom to classroom during the preseason carrying his notebooks."I tell you this. I filled a lot more notebooks in a couple of months here than in college," said Washington, a fourth-round pick out of Florida State. "That says a lot."On Sunday, Washington begins to find out how his skull-session work translates into regular-season performance. The Jets open their first season under coach Eric Mangini at Tennessee.

Other than naming Chad Pennington the starting quarterback, Mangini has not revealed his depth chart. So, Washington can only guess as to his role.

Here's an educated guess: He'll be used on kick and punt returns and possibly as a third-down back. He certainly has shown the speed and ability to hit the holes. The biggest question mark is how many big hits his diminutive, 5-foot-8, 202-pound frame can absorb.At Florida State, Washington rushed for 2,041 yards in four seasons, becoming the only player in Bobby Bowden's tenure to score touchdowns rushing, receiving, off a punt return and a kickoff return, and on a fumble recovery. As a junior, he was the MVP of the Gator Bowl after carrying for a career-high 195 yards in a win over West Virginia."Being a competitor, you definitely want a chance to play," Washington said. "I mean, that's what you get paid to play this game for. It would be great to get a chance to play. But, if not, you learn. That's the way you look at it so when you get a chance to play, you're going to be ready."

Most likely, Washington slots behind Derrick Blaylock, Barlow and Cedric Houston at tailback."I am really happy with Leon," Mangini said. "From the day he got here to the preseason, the things that we really pinpointed as problem areas, he's worked on."Specifically, Mangini cited pass blocking and ball handling, both on special teams and in relation to the quarterback, as Washington's areas of improvement.

"I think he's definitely in the running back mix," Mangini said. "There's another example of a guy who carves out a real solid role on special teams, which now is going to create some opportunities to go into the game. Sometimes that opportunity looks like it's going to be one thing and then it turns into something else."Washington gained 28 yards on eight carries while splitting time with Houston in the Jets' 20-17 win over Philadelphia on Friday in their preseason finale.

Overall, Washington had 20 carries for 59 yards in the preseason and returned a kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown in a 27-14 win at Washington on Aug. 19.

Andrew Gross: agross@lohud.com.

Archived