2024 Yankees season thread

3-0.  I don't usually follow this early in the season, and I can't watch with cutting the cord; however, this Cabrera kid seems like the MVP this series.

Why is Torres still a Yankee?

8 hours ago, Barton said:

Time to shut up the rest of the league and remind them who the kings of the sport really are. Good start so far these past 2 games. 

Great start to the season 3 and 0. Astros 0 and 3. Would be amazing to get a 4 game sweep tomorrow.

Let's go Angels, beat the O's tomorrow. Wait, too soon for that?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, shawn306 said:

The Soto influence already showing with Cabrera. 

Awesome to see. At the same time, why did it take acquiring Soto for other Yankees to focus on just spraying line drives instead of swinging out of their shoes? This organization and their hitting philosophy for the last 10 years has been a horrible mistake. 

Juan Soto is incredible. The culture change is palpable. Berti looks like a player too. So nice to not have to watch Donaldson and Hicks.

Need a closer though; I’m not confident in Clay. 

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Awesome to see. At the same time, why did it take acquiring Soto for other Yankees to focus on just spraying line drives instead of swinging out of their shoes? This organization and their hitting philosophy for the last 10 years has been a horrible mistake. 

I don’t think it was Soto but more Judge telling management that what they were looking at analytically needed to change. 

it is a good start. They will have their downs just hopefully not the two three week slumps that we have seen over the past 7, 8 years

• Upvote 1

Now imagine this team with a healthy Cole and a co-ace like Blake Snell/Corbin Burnes. Thats why I was screaming for a co-ace in the offseason.

This team is good, they just need a cherry or 2 on top to finish it off. Hal pinching pennies due to a luxury tax hit was a joke. The time is now, guy. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Now imagine this team with a healthy Cole and a co-ace like Blake Snell/Corbin Burnes. Thats why I was screaming for a co-ace in the offseason.

This team is good, they just need a cherry or 2 on top to finish it off. Hal pinching pennies due to a luxury tax hit was a joke. The time is now, guy. 

You jumped of the bandwagon before the season even started. No room for you now!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Can’t argue with the results but I’m a little concerned about the bullpen getting overworked in the long run.

The way baseball is these days, I think every team in the league is concerned about that.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Can’t argue with the results but I’m a little concerned about the bullpen getting overworked in the long run.

Yes an no.

Early in the season, most starters aren't going more than 5-6, and the reality most starters now are just 6 inning guys at best, that's part of the value of Cole.  It's crazy, only 5 pitchers in all of MLB went 200 innings last year.  Just 10 years ago (not back in the day) you had 10 pitchers over 213 innings, all which would have led the league in innings last year.

That being said, I'm always worried about killing the bullpen, the AAA has to have almost a backup bullpen ready, as pen guys get hurt all the time.

15 hours ago, shawn306 said:

I don’t think it was Soto but more Judge telling management that what they were looking at analytically needed to change. 

it is a good start. They will have their downs just hopefully not the two three week slumps that we have seen over the past 7, 8 years

It's a great start.  There's still 158 games to go, every team has 4 game winning streaks, and 4 game losing streaks.

I think for the Yanks it's important just so they don't have to hear all year about not being able to win in Houston.

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:15 AM, Maxman said:

4 and 0!!!

Also, congratulations to the NY teams for starting off a combined 4 and 3. That isn't bad. Team work!

I'm a Met fan but I think they're in deep trouble this year (lack of starting pitching) and I'm not happy about it.  But I'll admit your comment was still pretty funny!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

Yes an no.

Early in the season, most starters aren't going more than 5-6, and the reality most starters now are just 6 inning guys at best, that's part of the value of Cole.  It's crazy, only 5 pitchers in all of MLB went 200 innings last year.  Just 10 years ago (not back in the day) you had 10 pitchers over 213 innings, all which would have led the league in innings last year.

That being said, I'm always worried about killing the bullpen, the AAA has to have almost a backup bullpen ready, as pen guys get hurt all the time.

I hate this new age nonsense in baseball with starters only pitching 4 innings.  So lame

And really all it does is cover for GMs who can’t evaluate starting pitching like our GM

18 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I hate this new age nonsense in baseball with starters only pitching 4 innings.  So lame

And really all it does is cover for GMs who can’t evaluate starting pitching like our GM

I miss the days of Old Hoss Radbourn throwing 678.2 innings in a season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

I miss the days of Old Hoss Radbourn throwing 678.2 innings in a season. 

15 years ago, CC was throwing 250 in a season.   10 years ago, you had 10 guys over 220, and over 30 throwing 200 innings.

Not exactly the year of Eighteen Hundred and Ninety Four

This team looks locked and loaded after starting 5-0. Early season observation is that Volpe is transitioning to an All Star year 2 and should be moved to leadoff. Obviously we need more pitching if they want to be serious contenders for World Series. Hopefully Cole is able to come back and then trade for a guy like Shane Bieber. But so far so good! Oh and just give Soto the blank check now get it over with. 

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This team looks locked and loaded after starting 5-0. Early season observation is that Volpe is transitioning to an All Star year 2 and should be moved to leadoff. Obviously we need more pitching if they want to be serious contenders for World Series. Hopefully Cole is able to come back and then trade for a guy like Shane Bieber. But so far so good! Oh and just give Soto the blank check now get it over with. 

Volpe on fire.  I drafted him 11th round in fantasy

58 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Ah yes the false dilemma fallacy a staple of internet arguments everywhere

To be fair, I figured explaining to you how guys that thrown 98+ can't be expected to toss 250 innings would be lost on you. sh*t, today's staters throw sliders at speeds that would once be considered blistering for a fastball. 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:17 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm a Met fan but I think they're are in deep trouble this year (lack of starting pitching) and I'm not happy about it.  But I'll admit your comment was still pretty funny!

Maybe you'll encounter an naked and obese Mets fan who'll change your perspective.

c36d0db1-c4be-4cf6-8336-4ea049754da5_text.gif

• Haha 1

No question this team is decent but they still need some major tweaks IMO.

Gleyber is not a sparkplug leadoff hitter type. He's not a grind it out, foul pitches off, long at bats, draws walks type guy. He's also pretty slow.

Too soon to bump Volpe up but so far he looks good. 

Caleb durbin is raking in the minors. 

Also, Stanton is possibly shot. If this continues another month+, then Hal needs to suck it up and unload him. Eat the $. Show you are serious about winning. 

• Upvote 1