NY Knicks Thread (2023-2024)

Tezza

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 9:01 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Knicks still finding the right pairings on the floor. Randle shooting % is anemic and I wish Quickley was extended. 

Yeah, I now question if he is intentionally shooting bad so the other guys can seal it with a rebound 🙃

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 4:46 PM, Bungaman said:

Is there a place on the web where there are some decent Knicks chatter? I thought I found one off of prosportsdaily, but it turned out to be the same dozen or so guys yelling at each other over and over. 

Reddit r/Nyknicks or Knicks forum on realgm

• Post of the Week 1

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Don’t really follow much basketball. I’m a casual Knick fan. Howd they do today?

IMO really well. Quickley is the real loss because he was having a fantastic year but they weren’t going to be able to pay him. OG is a beast and should in theory be a perfect fit for this year’s team. 

From a fan standpoint it sucks to see Quick go, he’s been a fan favorite since day one and can legit ball. They gave him up to sell a guy who was going to be one of the top FA’s next year on staying long term. Probably worth it but we’ll see. 

• Upvote 3

Also some food for thought:

1. The Knicks haven't coveted a potential FA this much since Brunson. They've been after Anunoby for a long time. So there's something to be said for that given how well they hit the nail on Brunson.

2. Toronto had been saying forever that it would take a boat load of picks for Anunoby. 

3. Quickley is going to want a bag and someone is going to give it to him. For context what it would take to keep him would likely have made him the second highest player on the team. Given they will definitely have to give Brunson a max deal at some point, it made absolutely zero sense to invest that much in a combo guard whose impact on wins during his best is good but not worth that type of coin. The Knicks weren't going to pay him and they were definitely going to go hard at Anunoby. It's a decent gamble given how strong a selling point Brunson and the Garden itself is right now and it frees up the salary to get it done.

So far as I see it the biggest risk is Thibs. The thing with him is guys are either totally Thibs guys or they are not, there's really no in-between with him. I'm sure Thibs signed off on it given how amazing a defender OG is, but you really never know until they're officially together.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but the Knicks are like, I dunno, aaaaaalmost there for being able to really compete in the playoffs. This gets them more almost there. It's one of those bigger medium-sized moves that teams that eventually make a run make.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Ujuri has totally jumped the shark for the Raptors, has been living off the championship year for years now and doing a terrible job.  Anoubi is very good.   Getting Barrett seems like a ticket selling move to me.

Salary matchup. There's no way the Knicks would have done Quickley straight up. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

IMO really well. Quickley is the real loss because he was having a fantastic year but they weren’t going to be able to pay him. OG is a beast and should in theory be a perfect fit for this year’s team. 

From a fan standpoint it sucks to see Quick go, he’s been a fan favorite since day one and can legit ball. They gave him up to sell a guy who was going to be one of the top FA’s next year on staying long term. Probably worth it but we’ll see. 

I liked quickley, figured knicks couldn’t resign after this year. How is losing Barrett gonna effect the team?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I liked quickley, figured knicks couldn’t resign after this year. How is losing Barrett gonna effect the team?

Positively. He never found his place in this lineup and he’s been a terrible overall fit in the Brunson/Thibs era. Crazy talented guy that hopefully finds his groove being back in Canada. Barrett worked his ass off and is a genuinely good dude. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Positively. He never found his place in this lineup and he’s been a terrible overall fit in the Brunson/Thibs era. Crazy talented guy that hopefully finds his groove being back in Canada. Barrett worked his ass off and is a genuinely good dude. 

Again just a casual, but I always rooted for RJ. Feel like he was always getting mixed reviews from fans and the press. Seemed like a good kid always up against his draft 

18 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Again just a casual, but I always rooted for RJ. Feel like he was always getting mixed reviews from fans and the press. Seemed like a good kid always up against his draft 

Consummate professional and notoriously hard worker. For all the sh*t the fans and media gave him he always kept it together and I think everyone at least respected that. So frustrating to watch on the court though. Dare I say it Starks-esque without the Starks.

• Upvote 3

The OG trade was a legit move. He’s an elite 3 and D player who fits Thibs like a glove and makes the Knicks defense much better. 

it was heartbreaking to see Quickley go, but you really couldn’t play him and Brunson together down the stretch of most games. 

the Knicks are one more big move from being legit. Big win for them beating the T Wolves today. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2023 at 2:11 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Also some food for thought:

1. The Knicks haven't coveted a potential FA this much since Brunson. They've been after Anunoby for a long time. So there's something to be said for that given how well they hit the nail on Brunson.

2. Toronto had been saying forever that it would take a boat load of picks for Anunoby. 

3. Quickley is going to want a bag and someone is going to give it to him. For context what it would take to keep him would likely have made him the second highest player on the team. Given they will definitely have to give Brunson a max deal at some point, it made absolutely zero sense to invest that much in a combo guard whose impact on wins during his best is good but not worth that type of coin. The Knicks weren't going to pay him and they were definitely going to go hard at Anunoby. It's a decent gamble given how strong a selling point Brunson and the Garden itself is right now and it frees up the salary to get it done.

So far as I see it the biggest risk is Thibs. The thing with him is guys are either totally Thibs guys or they are not, there's really no in-between with him. I'm sure Thibs signed off on it given how amazing a defender OG is, but you really never know until they're officially together.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but the Knicks are like, I dunno, aaaaaalmost there for being able to really compete in the playoffs. This gets them more almost there. It's one of those bigger medium-sized moves that teams that eventually make a run make.

Agree with all of this 

the Knicks need one more guy who can get his own shot in the 4th quarter so they don’t have to rely on Randle always being on his game. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2023 at 6:33 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Begley saying he expects the Knicks to make another move. Bridges makes a whole lotta sense.

He hasn’t had the best year, but I love Bridges 

can’t imagine Brookyn playing ball though 

On 12/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, Anthony Jet said:

Don’t really follow much basketball. I’m a casual Knick fan. Howd they do today?

The Knicks did well. 

OG is the stud 3 and D guy they have been looking for and they really needed a good wing, in general. 

Quick is a very good player but he was limited to being a sixth man on the Knicks because he doesn’t fit well with Brunson - you really can’t play both at the same time against the best teams 

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2023 at 12:25 PM, Beerfish said:

Ujuri has totally jumped the shark for the Raptors, has been living off the championship year for years now and doing a terrible job.  Anoubi is very good.   Getting Barrett seems like a ticket selling move to me.

I think the best player they got was quickley, but the Knicks got the most valuable player in the trade who fits their needs like a glove. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They are fun and rolling 

The OG trade was money 

they can definitely get back to the second round. More with another move

Barrett gone spreads everything out. Locking McBride up on the cheap in the aftermath of moving Quickley looks brilliant so far. 

OG looks good so far. Hartenstein playing out of his mind and turning into ‘99 Camby is certainly helping mitigate any adjustment period. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Barrett gone spreads everything out. Locking McBride up on the cheap in the aftermath of moving Quickley looks brilliant so far. 

OG looks good so far. Hartenstein playing out of his mind and turning into ‘99 Camby is certainly helping mitigate any adjustment period. 

Hartenstein is much better than I ever realized

Bronson and Randle would be a legit combo if Randle could ever figure out how to do this in the playoffs

They have a chance to be very good. 

• Upvote 1

I was crestfallen to see Quick go, but hard to argue with the results. Everyone has a role and it's working seamlessly. My only short term concerns are 

1) will Randle turn back into a headcase in the playoffs

2) is Thibs going to grind Brunson & Hartenstein down to a nub

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:54 AM, Asymmetrical said:

I was crestfallen to see Quick go, but hard to argue with the results. Everyone has a role and it's working seamlessly. My only short term concerns are 

1) will Randle turn back into a headcase in the playoffs

2) is Thibs going to grind Brunson & Hartenstein down to a nub

IH is leading the league in +\- since New Years. You have to ride that as hard as you can while it’s here. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2024 at 12:16 AM, slimjasi said:

Hartenstein is much better than I ever realized

He’s always flashed and is on a nice run. We’ll see how it goes once defenses start keying on him, which is likely going to start soon. The good thing is it looks like they can switch off making him and OG the third option night to night. 

Knicks waived Taj this morning. Roster space for another move? Probably. 

• Upvote 1