MON ARTICLES

Sperm Edwards

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061023/SPORTS01/610230337/1108

Unsung Jets foil Lions' plan

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: October 23, 2006)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — If Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery's MP3 player ever runs out of storage space, it won't be because he is downloading all his favorite tunes. He's much more concerned with its video capabilities.

"This morning, I wake up, brush my teeth, got my MP3 player," Cotchery said. "I'm just constantly watching all the way up here, figuring out ways the defensive backs are playing. Every week, I take my MP3 and tell them to put me some film on there."

Except yesterday's opponent wasn't so tough to figure. Lions defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson — the Jets' coordinator the past two seasons — was going to blitz often and try to limit wide receiver Laveranues Coles' effectiveness.

So Cotchery caught a career-high seven passes for 79 yards, and rookie Leon Washington rushed for a career-high 129 yards and two touchdowns as the Jets beat Detroit 31-24 at the Meadowlands.

When Washington scored on a 5-yard run just 2:45 into the game, it snapped the Jets' streak of 20 games without scoring an offensive touchdown in the first quarter.

And when Justin McCareins added a 44-yard touchdown pass from Chad Pennington to make it 14-0 with 4:02 left in the period, it marked the first time since Sept. 19, 2004, that the Jets scored multiple touchdowns in the first quarter. That's 38 games, including playoffs.

"I definitely thought there'd be a lot of opportunities to make plays," Cotchery said. "Once (Henderson) gets it in his mind he doesn't like the other team, he was just going to come out with all the blitzes and just allow us to try and beat them. I knew he was going to try to take L.C. out of the game."

The Jets (4-3) matched their win total from last season and, coupled with last week's 20-17 home win over the Dolphins, have won back-to-back games for the first time since Nov. 28-Dec. 5, 2004.

"I don't know how much success that is; 4-3 is barely above .500," said Coles, who made four catches for 29 yards. "A lot of so-called experts say we're doing OK because we hit our expectations for the year. Nobody expected us to win but four games. But we still got a lot of football to play."

Coles entered the game second in the NFL with 537 receiving yards. Roy Williams led the league with 552 yards for the Lions (1-6), and the Jets' defensive plan was similar to Detroit's, except the Jets' secondary was even more physical with the Lions' receivers close to the line of scrimmage.

Williams was held to 29 yards on two catches, though his 22-yard touchdown catch from Jon Kitna cut the Jets' lead to 14-7 with 7:54 left in the first half. Meanwhile, Mark Furrey made nine catches for 109 yards, including an 18-yard score to make it 31-24 with 2:22 left in the fourth quarter.

On Wednesday, Williams called running back Kevin Jones the "X-factor" and said that if he ran for 100 yards, the Lions "couldn't be beat." Jones wound up gaining 86 yards on 15 carries and catching six passes for 57 yards, including a 9-yard reception that brought the Lions within 24-17 with 9:09 left in the game.

"Any time you can limit (Williams') touches and the amount of times they throw the ball at him, that's going to be a bonus," Jets safety Erik Coleman said. "Kevin Jones has been doing a great job also, and we tried to make them play left-handed, take them out of the game."

Kitna was 22 of 36 for 269 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, but completed 13 of 19 for 137 yards and two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Like in their first three victories, the Jets built a double-digit lead. But unlike in those games, they were able to run out the clock and did not give the Lions a final possession to tie the score.

"Yeah, that's something you try not to think about when you're out there. You think about that after the fact," Jets linebacker Victor Hobson said. "If we're in a situation where we do bend, we don't want to break. We came out with the win. If it's ugly, hey, it's a win."

Actually, there was plenty of beauty in this one. Jets safety Kerry Rhodes made two spectacular plays, diving late in the first quarter to break up a pass intended for Williams on third-and-10 from the Detroit 43-yard line. Rhodes then jumped in front of Hofstra rookie DeVale Ellis to intercept Kitna with 4:19 left in the first half.

"We have been talking about it for a couple of weeks; we wanted to start out fast," Rhodes said. "They got the scores and it relaxed us a little."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/464376p-390750c.html

Jets' game plan outsmarts Martz

Lions coordinator Mike Martz is considered one of the NFL's top offensive gurus, but he was thrown for a loop at the start of yesterday's 31-24 loss to the Jets at Giants Stadium.

"It took us a little bit to get going and kind of figure out how they were going to play us," said Lions QB Jon Kitna, admitting the Jets showed some new wrinkles that caught them off guard.

Instead of heavy blitzing, how most teams play the Lions, the Jets concentrated on pass coverage. They didn't start blitzing until the second half, when they had a 21-7 lead. Even then, it wasn't much. They did a fantastic job on WR Roy Williams, who began the day as the NFL's leader in receiving yardage.

Williams was held to two catches for 29 yards, including a 22-yard touchdown. Rookie CB Drew Coleman said the game plan was to get physical with Williams.

"Receivers don't like for you to get in their face," Coleman said. "We tried to get up and disturb their routes, the combination routes and the timing with him and the quarterback. That was at the top of our game plan."

notebook.gif

FOUR LORN: The Jets' defense continued to struggle in the fourth quarter. A week after allowing 199 passing yards to the Dolphins' Joey Harrington, they let another mediocre quarterback pick them apart.

Kitna threw two fourth-quarter touchdowns, completing 13 of 19 passes for 137 yards. The Jets didn't have any fourth-quarter stops.

10 IS GRAND: After opening the season with two straight 300-yard games, Chad Pennington now has gone three straight without cracking the 200-yard mark. He passed for only 189 yards, but it was enough to pass the 10,000-yard plateau for his career.

HE'S OUT: RB Leon Washington ran over the Lions, and umpire Bill Schuster, who got caught in a giant scrum in the third quarter. Schuster's nose was bloodied, but he received treatment on the Lions' sideline and didn't miss any plays.

CASE OF THE MONDAYS: Coach Eric Mangini must have been in a really good mood after the game. For the first time, he gave the players a Monday off. His predecessor, Herm Edwards, created the "Victory Monday" reward - a day off after every win.

Rich Cimini

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/464390p-390762c.html

McCareins' score comes Justin time

Justin McCareins started training camp in Eric Mangini's doghouse. Yesterday, he was in the penthouse.

McCareins, who was practically buried by the new coach when he cramped up on the first day of training camp, got back in his coach's good graces yesterday with a 44-yard TD catch in the Jets' win over Detroit.

The sixth-year veteran broke free from man-to-man coverage and then pulled in the pass from Chad Pennington on the Jets' second possession.

"We're not a one-man show when it comes to passing," Pennington said. "Justin ran a good out and he gave us a good shot."

He's come a long way.

On the first day of camp, McCareins failed to finish a training run because of cramping. Mangini put him on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform list. It took two days for McCareins to work himself off that list, and it has taken seven games for him to really work his way back into the offense.

"It was big for the offense and for him," Mangini said.

"I want to play," the tight-lipped McCareins said. "That's what professionals do."

McCareins' number had been called on a similar play against Miami a week ago, but his feet got caught up with a defender and the pass sailed over his head. That he was called on again may be a sign that he is growing on his coach.

"Justin has been working hard, contributing. His contribution today was a big one," Mangini said. "Those opportunities are going to show up."

Kristie Ackert

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/464378p-390756c.html

Washington rushes into spotlight with big day

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

738-washington23.JPG

Leon Washington rushed

for a career-high 129

yards yesterday.

It was seemingly contradictory advice coming from Curtis Martin. The veteran running back was telling rookie Leon Washington to slow down.

"The most helpful thing he told me was to be more patient," Washington said. "He told me to wait for my blockers and my openings. At first I was just trying to bounce out, but this is the NFL, you can't just do that."

Washington is learning to balance patience and urgency, a balance the Jets need him to master to fill the void left by the injured Martin. Yesterday, the undersized rookie out of Florida State ran for a season-high 129 yards on 20 carries and scored his first two NFL touchdowns in the Jets' 31-24 win over the Lions.

"I have always tried to prove myself, through college and now here," Washington said. "I know I am capable, but at the same time it was the offensive line created holes and I just went through. The offensive line did a tremendous job today."

That - deflecting credit to the line that opens holes for him - is the second lesson the 5-8, 202 pound Washington must have learned from Martin, who always was quick to praise his line.

The Jets rolled up a season-high 221 rushing yards against a Lions defense missing Shaun Rogers, serving his first of a four-game suspension for taking what turned out to be diet pills.

"Our run defense was disappointing," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said. "If any one thing jumped out it was that we could not control the run game."

Washington, drafted in the fourth round with the pick obtained as compensation for Herm Edwards defecting to Kansas City, exploited the Lions' depleted 'D' yesterday. He set up the Jets' first touchdown by breaking out around right end for 23 yards to put the Jets on the 5-yard line. He took it in from there for his first touchdown as a pro with 12:15 left in the first quarter.

"It felt good, it felt really good to go out there and contribute," Washington said.

Washington topped that in the fourth quarter. Heading down the left sideline, Washington waited for a block by wide receiver and fellow FSU product Laveranues Coles then flew down the sideline, barely staying inbounds for a 16-yard score that iced the game with 4:51 to play.

"It was nice to see" Chad Pennington said. "He has spurt-ability and he and Kevan (Barlow) got some tough yards today. He definitely has spurt-ability. I think what people are learning to respect about him is his physicality. He is definitely hard to take down. It takes more than one defender to take him down, which I think is a surprise at his size."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/464377p-390752c.html

A grand opening

First TD foremost

400-Washceleb23.JPG

Leon Washington jumps

into the arms of Brandon

Moore after scoring a

touchdown yesterday

for the Jets.

The Detroit quarterback, who usually spends a good part of the afternoon on his back, his hand in the air, hoping a teammate will pull him back to vertical, won the numbers game yesterday. Jon Kitna threw three touchdown passes, Chad Pennington one - count 'em, one - and it didn't matter, not even a little.

The Jets made it look easy, certainly easier than we're used to, when they beat the Lions, 31-24, yesterday. If that score sounds close, nervous, tense, against a team that is now 1-6, then all you're doing is reading the scoreboard. The Jets won this one the right way - the quick way.

Coming into this balmy afternoon, they hadn't managed an offensive touchdown in the first quarter since Week 2 of 2005. And when you're the last one out of the gate in a two-horse race, about all you get is dirt kicked between the bars on your face mask. Yesterday, finally, the Jets discovered that the race goes to the swift.

Did it happen because the Lions are a last-place team? And that only one NFL team has allowed more points? Or that the last time the Lions went to the Super Bowl the world was covered in ice? (Actually, they've never been to that place.) The answer to all that is a resounding yes.

So the Jets win the toss and, instead of doing the smart thing and keeping the coin, they decided to receive the ball. The first play, Chad throwing to his favorite pair of hands, Laveranues Coles, was a failed pass that almost became an interception. Detroit came through on the next play with a five-yard penalty. Now Chad was looking for B.J. Askew, another incompletion, but Detroit matched it with another penalty. First down.

Chad's third throw was dropped by Kevan Barlow. And Jet fans were wishing they'd never left the parking lot.

And that's when the green world turned upside down. The Jets' next five plays covered 79 yards and ended with Leon Washington stepping into the end zone. The moment was so precious, so unexpected, the head coach had to be asked how it felt to finally climb that mountain.

What you have to know about Eric Mangini is that he doesn't carry pom-poms with him. "We have worked on that" - scoring early - "and to see to see the progress is a good thing," he said.

Real good thing, huh? Just what you wanted, right? Well, sure, but you didn't hear it from Mangini. "It wasn't something we had up on our board" - scoring early - "or on our to-do list. You deal with whatever cards you are given and it's always positive to be up seven or 14, as opposed to being down seven or 14."

For these Jets, being up 14 in the first quarter - being up at all - is awfully close to a dream. But after Detroit punted, the Jets needed only eight plays, four minutes and 59 seconds to wake up smiling and ahead by 14.

"It's definitely reassuring," said Jonathan Vilma, who speaks for the defense, "to see the offense go out and play like that."

If you read that closely enough, it could suggest that the defense was getting fed up waiting for the offense to jump in front. The defense did what it wanted to, holding Roy Williams, the league leader in receiving yards, to a pair of catches and only 29 yards. "We knew they wanted him to get the ball," Vilma said, "and we made a concentrated effort, making good plays (on him) when we had to." So the ball kept going to a former Arena Football player, Mike Furrey, on the other side. Furrey led all receivers with nine catches for 109 yards. "He had a good day," Vilma said, "but it wasn't good enough."

After the Lions crossed into Jets territory for the first time in the second quarter, making the score 14-7, the Jets came back with seven more. The second half the Jets pretty much took the ball out of Pennignton's hands. He threw only six passes and completed them all. The teams traded touchdowns and field goals for most of the last two quarters. But it was the Jets, who gave themselves that early cushion, who got to finish the game with three plays they probably don't work on in practice - the quarterback kneeling and only the clock moving.

After it was over, Pennington was saying, "You can't win a game in the first quarter but you can sure lose it." Now we get to find out if that's a lesson the Jets have learned.

Vic Ziegel

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/464379p-390757c.html

Lion-hearted Jets win again

Leon and Chad drive Gang past Detroit

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

928-mccaireins23.JPG

Chris Baker (left) and James

Hodgins (right) congratulate J

ustin McCareins yesterday after

McCareins hauled in a 44-yard

TD reception.

599-mangini23.JPG

Jets coach Eric Mangini confers

with his secondary during the

second quarter.

There were plenty of peculiar sights and sounds yesterday at Giants Stadium. Let's start with that crazy thing that happened in the west end zone at the beginning of the game - a first-quarter touchdown celebration by the Jets' offense, which hadn't done that in more than a year. It felt so good they did it again a few minutes later.

Then, in the final two minutes of their 31-24 victory over the woeful Lions (1-6), the Jets turned to a seldom-used page in their playbook - the "Victory" formation. For a change, they removed the suspense from the finish, allowing Chad Pennington to take a knee on three straight plays.

It was the Jets' fourth win, equaling their total from 2005, but there were no high-fives in the locker room - or high-fours, for that matter. And that may have been the most peculiar thing of all. In their minds, the Jets - owners of a two-game winning streak for the first time since November, 2004 - haven't done anything yet.

"The expectation level is quite a bit higher, so it's not like, 'Oh, gosh, we won our fourth game,'" linebacker Matt Chatham said, feigning breathlessness.

Said guard Pete Kendall: "The 2005 Jets were 4-12, and that's never going to change, but it doesn't mean the 2006 Jets have to say, 'As long as we get to five, we'll have done something.'"

The Jets (4-3) are living by Eric Mangini's never-look-ahead philosophy. If they do take a peek into future, they'd like the appearance of the landscape. This week, they face the Browns (1-4) on the road, followed by a bye week. On paper, they began Week 7 with the easiest remaining schedule in the league.

"I figure every win after this will be gravy," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said facetiously, tweaking the pundits who predicted another 4-12 debacle.

Record aside, the Jets are showing signs of improvement, especially with their running game. For the first time, they dominated an opponent on the ground, as rookie Leon Washington celebrated his coming-out party with a career-high 129 yards - the most by a Jets rookie in at least 25 years - and the first two touchdowns of his career.

Washington's signature play was his 16-yard touchdown with 4:51 left in the fourth quarter, a sideline run in which he tip-toed on an imaginary tightrope - the rope that became the noose around the Lions' neck. He got a great block from Coles in making it 31-17.

The diminutive runner has what Pennington called "spurt-ability," the ability to dart through a crack.

"That," Pennington said of Washington's second touchdown, "was a big-time play."

The Jets amassed a season-high 398 total yards, including a 2006-best 221 yards on the ground - more than their combined total from the first three games.

They controlled the ball for 34 minutes, 14 seconds and consistently outfoxed their former defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

In the first half, when they built a 21-7 lead on touchdown runs by Washington (five yards) and Kevan Barlow (three yards) and Pennington's 44-yard strike to Justin McCareins (remember him?), the Jets seemed to be inside Henderson's head.

Knowing Henderson's penchant for playing ultra-aggressive, the Jets used play-action passes (see the McCareins touchdown), misdirection runs and hard counts by Pennington. The Lions made like a trout, swallowing the bait.

After Washington's game-opening touchdown, Henderson berated his defense on the bench - an all-too-familiar scene from 2004 and 2005.

"From being around Donnie, I know his defense plays fast and hard," said Pennington (16-for-22, 189 yards, one interception). "They don't second-guess themselves. They don't play hesitant. They go with what they see."

So the Jets gave him the "now-you-see-it, now-you-don't" routine. Afterward, Henderson declined to speak with reporters, glaring as he left the locker room.

That the Lions didn't have defensive tackle Shaun Rogers (league suspension) was a huge factor. Kendall said Rogers is so good that "the '85 Bears would've missed him," and it crippled the Lions' run defense. The Jets, smelling blood, kept delivering body blows. They ran. And ran. A total of 42 times.

The positives added up quickly. Although Mangini said "it wasn't on our to-do list," the Jet offense scored its first opening-quarter touchdown in 21 games. The Jets played smart and physical, responding to every Lions score with a score of their own.

It got mildly interesting at the end, as Jon Kitna (22-for-36, 269 yards) threw two of his three touchdowns in the fourth quarter. It would've been really interesting if the Lions had recovered an onsides kick with 2:22 left.

After so many nail-biters, Mangini had a chance to enjoy the final seconds.

"I didn't take a deep breath until that last first down (with 2:00 left)," Mangini said. "Until that point, it was shallow, consistent breaths."

He smiled, albeit briefly. Mangini didn't want to appear giddy. Neither did his players, but, make no mistake, their confidence is building.

"We're not a good team yet," Chatham said, "but we're improving."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10232006/sports/jets/td_catch_came_justin_time_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

TD CATCH CAME JUSTIN TIME

By MARK CANNIZZARO

October 23, 2006 -- It was only one play in a game of many yesterday, but Justin McCareins' lone reception against the Lions was significant on a number of different levels.

Team-wise, it gave the Jets a 14-0 lead in the first quarter, something unheard of from a team that entered the day having not scored a single first-quarter TD on offense since Week 2 of last season.

Personally, McCareins' 44-yard TD reception from Chad Pennington ended a dubious streak of four-plus games without a single catch. Prior to that scoring reception, McCareins' first TD of the season, his last came on Dec. 11, 2005 against the Raiders.

"It was big for the offense and for him," Eric Mangini said.

"It felt pretty good," said McCareins, who lost his starting job to Jerricho Cotchery and has seen limited playing time. "You've got to make the most of the opportunities you're given."

The play was a brilliantly-executed play-action fake to Kevan Barlow on a third-and-one, with McCareins the only receiver on a route. He split Detroit DBs Dre Bly and Terrence Holt and made the catch as he fell into the end zone to give the Jets a 14-0 lead.

"That's a play that I specifically worked on all week," McCareins said. "I knew if it was going to be open most likely Chad was going to throw it up to me. It was a little bit under-thrown. I tried to keep my hands kind of low as long as possible so (the DBs) can't figure out when the ball is coming down. It just worked out."

McCareins didn't deny this has been a frustrating year for him.

"Yeah, you want to play and get a chance to contribute," he said. "Of course I want to be in there. But that's not my decision to make. The coaches are going to do what they feel is best for the team and I've got to do my best to put faith in them that I can do some good things for them."

With the Lions' defense keying on Laveranues Coles, Cotchery had a monster day, catching a career-high seven passes for 79 yards. Six of those, for 78 yards, came in the first half.

"He gets opportunities every week and takes advantage of them," Mangini said. "He's been great."

The Jets utilized rookie WR Brad Smith in a number of different ways yesterday, including at RB, where he ran three times for 16 yards.

With yesterday's INT in the first half, S Kerry Rhodes has a season-high two. Maligned DT Dewayne Robertson recorded a sack in the first half, his first of the season and ninth of his career. When rookie RB Leon Washington broke loose for 23 yards in the first half it was the longest run from scrimmage by a Jet and, of course, the longest of Washington's career.

Pennington surpassed the 10,000-yard career passing plateau when he completed a pass to Cotchery in the second quarter. He stands at 10,071. He joined Joe Namath, Ken O'Brien, Richard Todd and Vinny Testaverde as Jets QBs to attain that plateau.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10232006/sports/jets/donnies_d_jolted_by_jets_jets_brian_lewis.htm

DONNIE'S 'D' JOLTED BY JETS

By BRIAN LEWIS

jets080.jpg

GET BACK HERE: The Jets' Erik Coleman grabs

the Lions' Kevin Jones for a third-quarter loss

during Gang Green's 31-24 triumph yesterday

at the Meadowlands.

October 23, 2006 -- Maybe familiarity didn't breed contempt in the case of the Jets and Donnie Henderson yesterday, but it sure helped breed victory, as Gang Green read their former defensive coordinator like a book, and scripted a 31-24 victory over the Lions.

Henderson - whom the Lions refused to make available to the media - spent two years under Herman Edwards, but was let go by Eric Mangini despite offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger being retained.

Henderson landed in Detroit with old friend Rod Marinelli, whom he'd worked or played under twice before. But upon his return to New York with his new club, Henderson saw Gang Green gash his toothless Lions all afternoon.

"Being around Donnie, I know that he always has his defense playing fast and hard. They don't play hesitant; they go with what they see," said Chad Pennington. "We had to make sure we kept them off balance because of their speed and their pass rush, keep them off-balance with our snap counts."

Gang Green kept the Shaun Rogers-less Lions' off-balance from the start with hard counts, misdirection, draws and delays on their way to 221 yards and three scores on the ground. Then there was a play-action post to Justin McCareins for a 44-yard TD and 14-0 lead just two possessions into the game.

That preceded a 23-yard play-action crossing pattern to Laveranues Coles to set up another TD and 21-7 advantage. Then, following Chris Baker's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, the Jets caught Henderson's fired-up defense with a 15-yard Coles end-around to set up a field goal and 24-10 cushion.

The Jets knew Henderson would try to take away Coles, and used that to open things up for Jerricho Cotchery.

"I know how Donnie thinks," Coles said. "He's one of those guys that says, 'I don't care who you let catch the ball, just don't let 87 catch the ball.' "

brian.lewis@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10232006/sports/jets/playoffs_startin_to_add_up_jets_jay_greenberg.htm

PLAYOFFS STARTIN' TO ADD UP

By Jay Greenberg

jets086.jpg

CHADDABOY: It was great to be a Jet

yesterday, as Chad Pennington congratulates

a teammate during Gang Green's 31-24

conquest of the Lions at the Meadowlands.

October 23, 2006 -- THE first two times they had the ball yesterday, the Jets went through the Lions for 81 and 80 yards like they weren't there, just like about 10,000 persons weren't there, not bothering to use their tickets. With the win total already at four, as many games as the Jets won in 2005 and were generally expected to win in 2006, apparently only Fireman Ed has taken the time to study the schedule.

The combined record of the remaining nine opponents, which include contests with the 5-1 Patriots and 6-0 Bears, is 24-32. Meaning, if the Jets, who have reached to 4-3 by beating teams with a combined record of 19-26, don't win nine games, they will be seriously screwing up. They could even stumble once against somebody not as good as they are, an NFL inevitability, and still get to 10.

We mean 10 wins now, not 10 Jets sacks for the season or 10 tackles by Dewayne Robertson in his career or 10 interesting statements made by Eric Mangini in his entire life. We're talking actual triumphs here, ones that could have the Jets competing for a playoff spot in Weeks 16 and 17.

We will get our head examined only after you examine a remaining slate with 1-5 Cleveland, 1-5 Oakland, 2-4 Houston, 1-6 Miami, 2-4 Green Bay and 2-5 Buffalo. There's more puff in there than in a typical Woody Johnson statement, not even requiring a Jets win at 4-2 Minnesota to get to double digits.

"It was about this time last year that we started dropping like flies," said Pete Kendall, trying to be the voice of reason, not the prophet of doom. But it's been many seasons since this many teams looked so utterly doomed before the halfway point, so the Jets need to profit.

Yesterday, a New York ground game made up of heretofore groundless accusations, ran for 221 yards and 16 first downs against the league's last-rated defense against the run, minus its best run stopper, Shawn Rogers. This early, one must place such accomplishments in proper context. Later, when Eric Mangini is Coach of the Year, Chad Pennington the Comeback Player of the Year, and Leon Washington, after running for more yards than Reggie Bush, is the Rookie of the Year; these Jets will be Somebody, never mind they played Nobody.

Turnovers and schedules make all things possible, except probably for the Lions, who kept coming back to within a score of the Jets yesterday despite no hope of their defense actually getting a stop when they needed one. Chad Pennington, who lofted a 44-yard scoring beauty to Justin McCareins over Dre Bly, was finding Jericho Cotchery at will against a Lions secondary coached by coordinator Donnie Henderson - looking a lot like the secondary he coached last year with the Jets.

It also looked like this year's Jet secondary, which keyed on Roy Williams (only two catches) to a point where Mike Furrey was making nine receptions to build Jon Kitna's 269 passing yards.

The Jets still suffer the absence of a pass rush or a big-time cover corner. Rome wasn't built in a day, unless maybe it can be with a schedule like this. If the NFL wanted to build one for the Jets, they will go to the playoffs should Pittsburgh and Jacksonville continue to underachieve.

Coach won't let us look at it that way," said Chad Pennington. "And our guys won't look at it that way."

The quarterback's nose stretched so far on that one, he'll be offsides on his first play Sunday in Cleveland, where the Jets will play another team they should beat. They know exactly what to say about taking them one at a time. They are also playing too smart to fail to recognize opportunity when they see it.

jay.greenberg@nypost.com

http://www.nj.com/sportsflash/jersey/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1161550456191330.xml&storylist=njsports

NY Jets 31, Detroit 24

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

October 22, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New York Jets are getting pretty good at these suspenseful endings, complete with lots of nail biting, sweating and nervous energy throughout the stadium.

"I didn't take a deep breath until we got that last first down," coach Eric Mangini said with a big smile.

Leon Washington rushed for 129 yards on 20 carries, scored the first two touchdowns of his career, and sealed the win by running for a first down with just over two minutes left as the Jets held on to beat the Detroit Lions 31-24 on Sunday.

The Lions put a scare into the Jets, who led the entire game, by getting within a touchdown with 2:22 left when an outstretched Mike Furrey caught the ball in the back right-corner of the end zone. Mangini challenged the play, but it was upheld with officials saying Furrey got both feet in bounds and had control of the ball.

New York (4-3) got the ball back on the ensuing kickoff and ran out the clock to escape with a victory, matching its total from last season.

"We weren't expected to win but four games this year if you let the so-called experts tell it," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "Again, we've got four wins, but we can't rest our hats upon that."

The Jets, whose previous three victories were all decided on the opponents' last possession, won consecutive home games for the first time since 2004. But again, it didn't come easily.

After the Lions (1-6) closed within a touchdown with just over nine minutes remaining, Chad Pennington completed a 16-yard pass to Chris Baker, and Brad Smith followed with a 2-yard run. Tyoka Jackson was called for defensive holding on the play, one of nine penalties called on the Lions, moving the Jets further into Detroit territory. Washington then took the ball, ran to the left and scooted 16 yards -- tiptoeing the sideline -- with 4:51 left.

"It was unbelievable for him to maintain his balance," Pennington said. "That was a big-time play."

New York took advantage of Detroit being without its two starting defensive tackles, Shaun Rogers and Shaun Cody, and the Jets finished with 221 yards rushing.

"It's disappointing, in terms of our run defense," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said. "If any one thing jumped out, we couldn't control the run game. In this league, if you can't stop the run, you're not going to win."

Washington had his second 100-yard rushing game, and Kevan Barlow added 49 yards and a TD on 12 carries.

"Whenever you run the ball, you're able to control the defense and you can do things in your favor that help you win the game," Washington said. "Today, we came out and obviously ran the ball early and were effective."

Kevin Jones scored on a 9-yard shovel pass from Jon Kitna to cut Detroit's deficit to 24-17 with 9:09 left. Kitna converted two third-down passes for first downs and a 17-yard pass to Furrey on fourth-and-11 to set up Jones' score.

"We're just not finishing games," said Kitna, who was 22-of-36 for 269 yards, three TDs and two interceptions. "We're not starting very good and we're not finishing good in the fourth quarter. That makes it hard. We've played good in spurts."

The Jets scored their first first-quarter offensive touchdown in 20 games on Washington's first career TD 2:45 in.

"We knew we needed to get off to a fast start as far as keeping their offense off the field," Pennington said.

Justin McCareins' 44-yard touchdown catch made it 14-0 with 4:02 left in the opening quarter. On third-and-1 from the Lions 44 following an offsides penalty on Kalimba Edwards, Pennington ran the play-action to perfection, freezing the linebackers and freeing up McCareins down the right sideline for his first reception since Week 2.

Pennington finished 16-of-22 for 189 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

Roy Williams caught a 22-yard pass from Kitna to make it 14-7 with 7:54 left in the half. Williams, who came in leading the NFL in yards receiving, was held to two catches for 29 yards.

Justin Miller put the Jets in great position on the ensuing kickoff, returning the ball 56 yards to Detroit's 41. Six plays later, Barlow plowed up the middle for his fifth touchdown of the season, giving the Jets a 21-7 lead with 5:28 left in the half.

Jason Hanson kicked a 25-yard field goal to cap a 12-play, 83-yard drive by the Lions to make it 21-10 with 4:57 left in the third quarter.

Nugent's 33-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter to give the Jets a 24-10 lead.

"That was a very winnable game," Williams said. "Once again, we were our own worst enemy today: penalties and turnovers."

Notes

The Jets' 14 first-quarter points were their most since scoring 14 at San Diego on Sept. 19, 2004. ... Umpire Bill Schuster had his nose bloodied when he was knocked down at the end of a running play by Washington in the third quarter. He went to the sideline, was treated and was back on the field for the next play. ... Neither team reported any injuries.

http://www.nj.com/weblogs/jets/index.ssf?/mtlogs/njo_jets/archives/2006_10.html

jets_mast.gif

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Leave it to Leon

Leon Washington had a breakout game for the New York Jets today, rushing for 129 yards and two touchdowns as Gang Green beat the Lions 31-24. The team rushed for 221 total yards and actually scored two first quarter touchdowns. It turned into the shootout I predicted on my Friday blog and it was the Jets that had more firepower than the Lions on this day.

The Jets defense did a fine job on Roy Williams, holding him to 2 catches for 29 yards, although he did have a touchdown. The D also held the Lions to 125 yards rushing, which is a pretty good day for that run defense.

It was the offense though, that dominated the day. The unit racked up 398 total yards and 31 points, a very successful outing for Chad Pennington and company. Not only that but every time the Lions scored to pull within 7 points, the Jets would drive down and add more points. At the end of the game, when Detroit closed to 31-24, the offense banged out the first down needed and killed the rest of the clock. In crunch time the ball was given to Washington and the rookie came up huge!

I think it's becoming clear that the Jets could very well have the running back of the future and his name is Leon.

The team also led from start to finish and kept the nail biting to a minimum.

It seems that this team is definitely starting to "get it". They head to Cleveland next weekend with a chance to end the first half of the season at 5-3. Not too shabby for a team ranked 31st in the Power Rankings at the beginning of the year!

"We weren't expected to win but four games this year if you let the so-called experts tell it," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "Again, we've got four wins, but we can't rest our hats upon that."

Well put L.C.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161581265291580.xml&coll=1

Jets: Cotchery gets a grip on opportunity

Monday, October 23, 2006

BY COLIN STEPHENSON

Star-Ledger Staff

It was easy for Jerricho Cotchery to figure out the simple logic of the situation: With former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson running the defense for the Detroit Lions, Cotchery knew Henderson's defensive game plan would revolve around stopping Laveranues Coles, the Jets' primary playmaker.

And that, Cotchery knew, would then open things up for him to make some plays against the Lions yesterday.

Cotchery, the third-year wideout who is the Jets' second-leading receiver, was ready for the ball when it came his way. With Coles kept under wraps for most of the game, Cotchery stepped up and led the receiving corps for the Jets, making a career-high seven catches for 79 yards to help the Jets roll up 398 yards of total offense on their way to 31-24 victory.

"Donnie respects Laveranues' game a lot," Cotchery said of Henderson. "He was here last year, and he knows what type of player Laveranues is. The entire week, I knew I was going to have some opportunities to make plays. So once they came today, I was just going to take advantage."

Cotchery let the Lions know he was ready to step up on the third play from scrimmage, when he went over the middle and beat two defenders to grab a perfectly thrown ball from Chad Pennington for a 28-yard gain. At that point, he was confident he was going to have a big day.

"For a receiver, anytime you make that early catch -- it doesn't matter what type of catch it is -- it gets you going for that day," Cotchery said. "Chad did a great job. He told me, 'I'm going to put the ball on you. If a lot of guys are hanging on you, I'm just going to put it on your chest.' He did that. I still got kind of clocked on the (first reception), but it worked out well."

Six of Cotchery's catches came in the first half, when the Jets built a 21-7 lead, while Coles, who finished with four catches on the day, for 29 yards, had just one reception in the first half -- that coming with 2:22 before intermission.

"A couple of times, you could tell that that was their main focus," Coles said of the Lions' attempts to shut him down. "I guess they decided they weren't going allow me to beat them today.

"Donnie (Henderson) being the guy he is, he's not going to let me beat him," Coles said. "He's going to make somebody else step up. And again, I've said all along, with the guys we have in this locker room -- the other wide receivers -- it's pick your poison. Today you got a nice dose of Jerricho and Justin (McCareins, who had a 44-yard touchdown catch)."

The seven catches for Cotchery give him 30 on the season, which is five more than he had in his first two seasons combined with the Jets. His performance so far has rewarded the faith the Jets' coaching staff had in him when they decided to give him the starting job that had formerly belonged to McCareins.

"When the coaching staff came in, I talked to Coach Schott (offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer), and he said he was expecting me to step it up this year," Cotchery said. "It's my third year, and it's time for me to make a difference out there, and that's what I'm trying to do."

He's doing it well enough to earn praise from head coach Eric Mangini.

"He's been great," Mangini said. "Jerricho's been great starting the off-season program; moving into camp; (winning the) competition during training camp ... then each week taking advantage of the opportunities. He's a physical guy, he's a tough guy, he's a smart guy, and very reliable, very consistent. Very impressive."

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161581157291580.xml&coll=1

Jets rise to the occasion

Monday, October 23, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Jets quarterback Chad Pennington was asked yesterday what has impressed him most about rookie running back Leon Washington, a 5-8, 202-pound scatback the club drafted with the fourth-round pick it received from the Chiefs for allowing them to hire coach Herman Edwards.

"His physicality," Pennington said. "People are learning about his speed and stuff, but the way he runs the football ... He's very physical in between the tackles.

"He doesn't go down with one defender. He bounces off tackles. He's a very physical person even though with his size you wouldn't think that."

Washington, who is showing the ability to be an every-down back despite his size, rushed for a career-high 129 yards and a career-best two touchdowns on 20 carries (6.5-yard average) to spark the Jets to a 31-24 victory over the lowly Detroit Lions yesterday at Giants Stadium.

"Hats off to the offensive line," Washington said. "They did a tremendous job. I was able to go in there and run the ball pretty well. ... It was one of those days. I had an opportunity to go out there and play. As a young guy, it's very, very important that you take advantage of your opportunities."

The Jets (4-3), who finally scored an offensive touchdown in the first quarter -- two in fact on drives of 81 and 80 yards on their first two possessions, play at Cleveland (1-5) next Sunday before their bye week. Entering yesterday's game, they had the easiest schedule in the NFL and that could help put them in the playoff mix.

They've already matched their victory total of last season, and beating the Browns would give them a three-game winning streak for the first time since the 2004 season.

"I'm really pleased with the way we're working," said coach Eric Mangini, who gave the players today off. "The consistency at practice and the individual preparation now is carrying over into better execution in the game, which is carrying over into wins. The most important things for us to be successful is consistency, work ethic, preparation and detail."

The Jets finished with a season-high 398 yards total offense, a season-best 211 yards rushing, 27 first-downs and just two penalties, one deliberate. Defensively, the Jets remain a work in progress as they yielded 386 yards total offense, 125 yards rushing. The unit did, however, hold Lions wide receiver Roy Williams to two catches for 29 yards and a touchdown.

Washington, however, was the show. Normally used on draws and outside runs, he gained many of his yards up the middle against the Lions, who were without 6-4, 345-pound Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers. Washington also showed amazing balance as he tightroped the sideline on a 16-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarterback. He also scored on a five-yard run in the first quarter.

Asked if the Lions (1-6), who entered the game allowing just 72.2 yards rushing per game, missed Rogers, guard Pete Kendall quipped, "The '85 Bears would miss Shaun Rogers. He's one of the best defensive tackles in the game."

Running a tag team with veteran Kevan Barlow (12 carries, 49 yards, one TD), the Jets' running game seems to have hit its stride. Barlow is the thunder to Washington's lightning. The Jets averaged 5.3 yards per carry on 42 attempts and scored a season-high three rushing touchdowns. Mangini said the tag-team will continue.

If this keeps up, veteran running back Curtis Martin can ride off into retirement knowing the Jets' running game is in good hands. Even now, it would seem wise for Martin to abort his comeback bid and not risk further damage to his right knee, which already has a bone-on-bone condition.

Washington, who had a long run of 23 yards, is quickly gaining admirers along the offensive line.

"One thing about him is he never quits," guard Brandon Moore said. "His feet are always going. That's why he gets those extra yards. He runs behind his pads. You can see the intensity with which he runs."

As for running up the middle, Washington said, "I don't have anything to prove. Throughout college (Florida State) I had an opportunity to run between the tackles, so I know I'm capable to doing it."

The Jets, who had gone 20 consecutive games without scoring an offensive touchdown in the first quarter, scored touchdowns on their first two possessions, the first time they've scored multiple touchdowns in the first quarter since Week 2 against the Chargers in 2004.

Washington, who rushed for 101 yards in a blowout loss to the Jaguars, scored on a five-yard run on the first possession, his first career touchdown, and then Pennington (16 of 22 for 189 yards, one TD, one INT) hit wide receiver Justin McCareins for a 44-yard touchdown on a brilliant play-fake to Barlow.

"It was great to get the monkey off our back and shut you guys (the media) up," Barlow said.

Said Kendall: "I had a laugh myself (at finally scoring in the first quarter). I don't know if there was anybody else that thought of it. But it certainly wasn't something we discussed (on the sidelines)."

The Jets built a 21-7 lead late in the second quarter and had a chance to add a touchdown just before the half, but Pennington was intercepted by Lions safety Terrence Holt at the 2-yard line on an overthrown pass to tight end Chris Baker.

Detroit closed to 24-17 on a nine-yard touchdown by running back Kevin Jones (15 carries, 86 yards) on a shovel pass from quarterback Jon Kitna (22 of 36, 269 yards, three TDs, two INTs) with 9:09 to play. The Jets, however, answered on their ensuing possession with Washington's second touchdown to go up 31-17.

The Lions made it 31-24 on a 18-yard touchdown grab by wide out Mike Furrey (nine catches, 109 yards, one TD) with 2:22 remaining but the Jets recovered the onside kick and ran out the clock.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161581204291580.xml&coll=1

Jets Notebook: Defense makes Williams a non-factor

Monday, October 23, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The game-plan was simple: stop Lions star wide receiver Roy Williams. Period.

The plan worked to perfection as the Jets focused on Williams and held him to two catches for 29 yards and a touchdown in yesterday's 31-24 victory at Giants Stadium.

Williams entered the game as the NFL's leading receiver in yardage with 552 and was coming off a 10-catch, 161-yard, one-TD effort against the Bills. The 6-3, 212-pounder has three 100-yard receiving games this season.

"We wanted to get after him and be physical," said rookie cornerback Drew Coleman, who goes 5-9, 175 pounds and estimated he covered Williams about 60 to 75 percent of the time. "We wanted to do different things to get him and (quarterback Jon) Kitna off rhythm and frustrated."

Said safety Erik Coleman: "A lot of the times we were rolling the coverage to (Williams). Drew and Justin (Miller) did a great job of getting physical at the line to mess up their timing."

Williams caught a pass from Kitna midway through the second quarter for a 22-yard touchdown that cut the Lions' deficit to seven. He split Jets cornerback Andre Dyson and safety Erik Coleman on the play.

But that was it for the outspoken wide receiver as fellow wideout Mike Furrey took up the slack with nine catches for 109 yards (both career-highs) and a touchdown.

"They doubled me today, it was fun and challenging out there," said Williams, who had roughly eight to 10 balls thrown to him. "Mike did a good job taking advantage of those things. We're going to expect teams to do that. We have to get back to the drawing board. Two against one, that's fine."

WR Justin McCareins,who went four games without a reception, caught a 44-yard touchdown pass from Chad Pennington in the first quarter to give the Jets a 14-0 lead. It was his only catch of the game. McCareins lost his starting job to third-year pro Jerricho Cotchery in training camp.

"Maybe a little bit," said McCareins when asked if the TD reception took the sting off being a forgotten man. "Everyone is going to get a different amount of chances and you have to try to make the most of them.

"Yeah, (it's been frustrating). You want to play. You want a chance to contribute. Of course, I want to be in there but it's not my decision. The coaches need to do what is best for the team and I have to do my best to put faith in them."

On the play, Pennington made a beautiful play fake to RB Kevan Barlow. Pennington said getting the running game going was the key to the play-fake.

LB Jonathan Vilmaand S Kerry Rhodes had interceptions. Vilma finished with a team-high 11 tackles and two passes defensed, including the interception. It was Vilma's first impact play of the season as he continues to find his way in the new 3-4 scheme.

LT D'Brickashaw Fergusonlimited Lions DE James Hall to one tackle. Hall had 3 1/2 sacks and eight tackles last week against the Bills and was named NFC Player of the Week.

NT Dewayne Robertsonhad perhaps his best game in the new scheme, finishing with a sack (his first of the season), six tackles and a forced fumble.... RB/QB Brad Smith had three carries for 16 yards.... K Mike Nugent hit his third consecutive FG and is 5-for-7 this season.... Justin Miller had a 56-yard kickoff return.

In a mild surprise,RB Derrick Blaylock was inactive. Instead, the Jets activated 6-1, 265-pound FB James Hodgins.... As expected, RB Cedric Houston (hyperextended left knee) was inactive.... Rookie LB Anthony Schlegel, a third-round pick, was inactive for the seventh consecutive game this season.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161581105291580.xml&coll=1

Jets: The Morning After

Monday, October 23, 2006

BY COLIN STEPHENSON

Star-Ledger Staff

There's a lot to like out of this Detroit game if you're a Jets fan. First, they managed to score two, count 'em, two first-quarter touchdowns, which had been a problem for more than a year and second, they managed to avoid any kind of stumble and took care of business and beat a team they were expected to beat. They equaled last season's win total (four) in just seven games, and may have found a running back in rookie Leon Washington. And, with last-place Cleveland coming up next week, they are in position to surpass last year's win total by the midpoint of this season.

Things are looking good for the Jets today, but let's not start looking for hotels in South Florida (site of this year's Super Bowl) just yet.

Q: Not even halfway into the season, the Jets have equaled their win total of last season. Is it okay to dream about making the playoffs?

A: Well, let's not get crazy yet, but given the way the Jets are playing under rookie head coach Eric Mangini, and who's left on their schedule, it's entirely reasonable to think they could double last year's win total. Figure Cleveland, up next, is a winnable game, so they could enter the bye week 5-3. Of the final eight opponents on their schedule, only New England, Chicago and Minnesota currently don't have losing records. There certainly figures to be some available wins among the remaining games.

Q: Old friend Donnie Henderson is running the Lions' defense this year. How'd they look?

A: Um, not so good. The Jets rolled up 221 rushing yards against their former defensive coordinator's new team, including 129 by emerging rookie running back Leon Washington.

Q: Meanwhile, the Jets' own defense entered this game ranked 30th overall and then 386 more yards to the Lions. Are they getting better?

A: Well ... ah ... they insist they are. And hey, in the last two games, given a lead to work with, they've been able to win with a bend-but-not-break kind of philosophy. Keeping in mind they're still learning and adjusting to the new 3-4 scheme Eric Mangini brought with him from New England, that's good enough for the time being. But they will need to make more rapid improvement eventually. For now, let's just say the jury is still out.

Q: Could the Jets have found Curtis Martin's successor at running back in Leon Washington?

A: Well, as long as nobody expects him to actually be the next Curtis Martin, it's possible. Sure, it's legitimate to wonder whether at his size (5-8, 202) Washington will be able to withstand the pounding an every-down back takes on a weekly basis, but the Giants had concerns about Tiki Barber early in his career, too. He turned out OK.

Did you notice: Chad Pennington missing on the first three throws he made (one was nullified by a Lions penalty), then throwing a strike over the middle to a triple-covered Jerricho Cotchery for 28 yards. The Jets would ultimately score on the drive on Leon Washington's 5-yard run. ... Pennington tucking and running for a first down on the Jets' second possession. They would score on that possession also, on a 44-yard pass from Pennington to Justin McCareins. ... Cotchery's one-handed grab on the Jets' third possession, in the second quarter. ... Cotchery's drop of Pennington's quick pass from the 3-yard line. No matter. Kevan Barlow scored on the next play to make it 21-7. ... Kerry Rhodes dive like a soccer goalie to knock down a first-half Jon Kitna pass for Roy Williams. ... Terrence Holt's goal-line interception of Pennington just before halftime. That play kept the Lions in the game. ... The official on Mike Furrey's TD catch running all the way over to where the receiver fell down to make sure he held on to the ball before making the signal for a touchdown.

Next week: At Cleveland Browns, 4:15 p.m., Channel 2

Last meeting: Nov. 21, 2004, Jets 10, Cleveland 7

Why this is a good match for the Jets: Browns coach Romeo Crennel was Eric Mangini's predecessor as the defensive coordinator in New England, so this is another matchup of Bill Belichick coaching descendants. But for Mangini, that doesn't matter. This represents another "winnable" game and a team in the Jets' situation needs to win those games that are winnable. If they do, a three-game winning streak and a 5-3 record entering the bye week is their reward.

Why this is a bad match for the Jets: You have to figure Crennel knows the Jets' defense better than anyone -- including Mangini, probably. If anyone can find holes in the Jets defense, it would figure to be Crennel. And the Browns have more weapons than Detroit, with wide receiver Braylon Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. leading the way. Another concern is keeping the Jets focus on the lowly Lions and not the upcoming off week.

Prediction: Jets 24, Browns 16

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/11614949603730.xml&coll=1

In the name of defense

Sunday, October 22, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The play happened in the first quarter of a victory in Buffalo a month ago. It was third-and-four from the Jets' 19-yard line and defensive coordinator Bob Sutton dialed up a safety blitz. Six players in all rushed Bills quarterback J.P. Losman.

Coach Eric Mangini did a double-take as he heard the call on his headphones.

"I thought, 'Hmm, is that really what you want to do?'" Mangini recalled last week. "(Sutton) said, 'Yeah, I like it here.' We had the strip sack (by safety Kerry Rhodes). At that point, it was like, 'Great call. Good job.'"

In the third quarter, Sutton blitzed Rhodes again and he had another strip sack. This time, linebacker Victor Hobson picked up the ball and raced 32 yards for a touchdown.

"Bob is outstanding," said Mangini, who doesn't allow his coordinator to speak to the media. "He's incredibly detail-oriented. He's very thorough. He has done a good job incorporating different ideas."

Sutton, who spent nine seasons as head coach at Army, is in his first season as the Jets' defensive boss. He replaced Donnie Henderson, who is now the Lions defensive coordinator.

The battle of the two defensive coordinators is a juicy subplot in today's matchup between the Jets (3-3) and Lions (1-5) at the Meadowlands.

Henderson, who is without 6-4, 345-pound Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers (suspension), departed an angry man when the Jets passed him over for the head-coaching job in favor of Mangini. He would love to exact a bit of revenge today and admitted this game is "emotional" for him.

Sutton, who spent six seasons as the Jets linebacker coach, is facing the Lions' innovative offensive coordinator Mike Martz, the former Rams head coach. He doesn't want to get embarrassed at home.

Henderson, 49, did a good job during his two seasons with the Jets and his aggressive, blitz-happy style was enjoyed by the players. But he rubbed many people the wrong way with his abrasive personality and gruff exterior. Plus, he was a Herman Edwards guy, the former head coach who is now in Kansas City.

"Donnie did a great job for us," one team official said. "He was everything to everybody. That (in-your-face style) was what we needed at the time. After awhile, though, he wears on you. But he's an excellent coach."

Henderson has had his problems in Detroit, however, as the Lions are ranked just 27th in total defense this season, giving up 342 yards per game.

Sutton, 55, is the polar opposite to Henderson. He's laid-back and mostly relies on his assistants to deliver the fire-and-brimstone speeches. He's cerebral and analytical, a loyal company guy.

"Bob is a teacher," defensive end Shaun Ellis said. "He's doing a good job. It's the first time for all of us running this defense. He'll get on you when he feels he needs to but most of the time, he's teaching. He wants you in the right place at the right time."

"Bob is very detail-oriented," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "He came from the Army and he has that in him. Black is black and white is white. He goes by the book."

This season, Sutton is installing a defense that is new to him as well as his players. He got a taste of the 3-4 defense under former Jets head coach Al Groh but has been in the 4-3 most of his career.

Both Sutton and his players are having growing pains as the defense ranks 30th in the NFL, allowing an embarrassing 370 yards per game, 145.3 yards rushing.

The Jets, who can play a variety of fronts, lack a 350-pound nose tackle to anchor their 3-4 alignment and are now using the undersized Dewayne Robertson (317 pounds). That has been the biggest problem facing Sutton.

At times, the Jets defense has been criticized for not being aggressive. The 3-4 defense, however, is a two-gap scheme in which linemen must first protect the running lanes on each side before heading upfield. In a 4-3, linemen can shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield.

As a result of the structured nature of the 3-4, the Jets have had problems as the learn the scheme -- even in victory.

In the Jets' three wins, they've had to hold off late fourth-quarter rallies. In those games, teams have dropped back to pass 59 times in the fourth quarter and the Jets have just one sack, in part, because Sutton doesn't like to gamble with the blitz in those situations.

"Bob is aggressive within the scheme we're running," Ellis said. "First, he wants to make sure everything is intact, the pass coverage, the run defense. Right now, we really haven't had a chance to be aggressive because teams have been running on us."

"We're all trying to find our niche," Hobson said. "Every day in practice, we're working hard to try to perfect this system we're in. We're all learning on the run."

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDkyNTgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets pound ground to subdue Lions

Monday, October 23, 2006

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- For the Jets' Saturday Night at the Fights, Eric Mangini presented a classic Ultimate Fighting Championship match back in the bad old days of 2001, when the combatants wore tight Spandex.

"Matt Serra was more of a grabber, a grappler," linebacker Matt Chatham recalled. "He executed that plan for three-quarters of the fight, but then he stood up the last 10 seconds of the bout and Shonie Carter knocked him out."

The analogy, Chatham said, was "trust the game plan."

Sunday, the Jets executed the plans set out by coordinators Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton. The result was their most solid triumph of the Mangini Era, a 31-24 KO of Detroit, led by the powerful legs of rookie back Leon Washington and the secondary's near-shutout of Lions wide receiver Roy Williams.

Afterward, the Jets stuck with the Mangini game plan about not talking post-victory smack. They admitted they were happy with any win, and were particularly pleased to get their second home win and their first two-game winning streak under their first-year coach.

Just don't ask them to gush about achieving their fourth victory in less than half the time it took to reach No. 4 last season.

"Last year is last year and this year is this year," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said.

Guard Brandon Moore said he didn't think their record "shows anything. We could still be back at 4-12."

"The things that happened last year, I was in another place," said Mangini, using one of his euphemisms for coaching at New England. "At that point, it was a good thing for the Jets' organization to have that record. But now, being at this place, we're 4-3 and making progress."

Notwithstanding the state of the battered Lions (1-6), the Jets had fixes for many weaknesses that plagued them in their first six games, beginning with a monumental stride forward for a ground game that totaled 211 yards and three of the Jets' four touchdowns.

"I'm very pleased," said Washington, the precocious fourth-rounder who started, rushed for the Jets' first and last TDs, their first 20-yard run in 12 games, and 129 yards in all. "[sunday] I ran the ball early and effectively. Whenever I do that, I try to keep the defense down, that's the main thing."

Washington's first touchdown of 5 yards behind a Moore block was followed by Justin McCareins' first catch in five games for a 44-yard score from Chad Pennington. That gave the Jets their first first-quarter offensive TD in 21 games, their first two-TD first quarter in 39 games and a 14-0 lead.

And Washington's ball control surely did keep Detroit down – the Lions had the ball for only 10:08 of the first half.

Williams came into the game leading Laveranues Coles by 15 yards for the NFL receiving yardage lead, and he struck first for a 22-yard touchdown from Jon Kitna to cut the lead to 14-7.

But the Williams-Coles duel never materialized. Both finished with 29 yards, matching Washington's uniform number. The Jets controlled Williams with double coverage and little blitzing of Kitna.

"To hold him to two catches, that's a great job by the whole defense," said Andre Dyson, who gave up the TD but was one of the cast of corners who held him in check. "We just focused on knowing where he was at and we did a good job with the game plan."

The last part of the plan was not putting the lead in jeopardy. The Lions closed twice to within a touchdown, but each time the Jets answered – first with Washington's tightrope 16-yard TD run with 4:51 to play, then by running out the final 2:22 after Kerry Rhodes grabbed a semi-onside kick.

Mangini rewarded the Jets with their first "Victory Monday," not for getting to four wins but for getting to their next win. After two days off, they are free to speculate about trying to beat the Browns (1-5) at Cleveland.

But only Vilma hinted at what a 5-3 record heading into their bye week might portend for the second half of this season of progress.

"We're trying to get to the playoffs, make a run at it," he said. "And right now we're doing a good job."

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

Jets Move to 4-3 with 31-24 Win over the Lions

Published: 10-22-06

http://www.newyorkjets.com/image_assets/1710/allen_eric_med.jpg?1157097133 By Eric Allen

Eric Allen is the editor of newyorkjets.com.

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/jets-move-to-4-3-with-31-24-win-over-the-lions

The New York Jets raised their record to 4-3 on the season with a 31-17 victory over the Detroit Lions at the Meadowlands on Sunday. Rookie running back Leon Washington rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns in the intra-conference affair as the Jets used an unrelenting ground attack in capturing their second consecutive game.

"We're 4-3 and we're making progress," said first-year Jets head coach Eric Mangini. "I am really pleased with the way we are working. The consistency at practice and the individual preparation is now carrying over into better execution in the games and now it's carrying over into wins."

Entering week seven, the Jets had been outscored by their opponents 35-3 in the first quarter. The Green & White had obviously grown tired of their nominal offensive output early in games, so they went out Sunday and ravaged the Lions in the opening stanza.

Game Stats

Washington, who topped the century mark for the second time as a professional, opened up the scoring on a five-yard run just 2:45 into the game. Washington’s five-yard run was the first touchdown of his career and the Jets’ first touchdown in the opening quarter in 21 games. The Lions had a squeamish start defensively, collecting two penalties on the Jets’ opening drive. Chad Pennington exposed a vulnerable Detroit secondary, firing a textbook play action toss to Jerricho Cotchery for 28 yards. Then the Green & White went to the ground as Kevan Barlow and Washington shared four carries including a 23-yard long gainer by Washington before the touchdown carry.

"I am always confident in my ability," Washington said. "Coach is always stressing to prepare yourself for the situation. When the situation occurs, you have to be ready for it. I had the opportunity to go out there and do something good for the team, and I thank God for it and I'm thankful for it."

Following a defensive stop, the Jets increased their lead to 14-0 on a 44-yard pass from Pennington to Justin McCareins. Using play action again, Pennington went long for McCareins and the six-year receiver made his first reception in five games. Veteran corner Dré Bly was in coverage on the play, but Bly lost the long ball in the air and Pennington had his ninth touchdown pass in ’06.

"I think it was important for us because we were going against a really good offense, an explosive offense that could put points up on the board. We needed to get off to a good start," Pennington said. "I was proud of that."

The Lions reversed their languid play in quarter two, making it a one score game on a 22-yard pass from Kitna to wideout Roy Williams. But the ensuing kickoff was returned 56 yards by Justin Miller. Six plays later, Barlow hammered home a score from three yards out and the Jets had a cushion at 21-7. Pennington fooled everyone yet again on the possession, utilizing play-action to go to Cotchery for 23 yards. With the Lions focused on Laveranues Coles, Cotchery caught six balls in the first half for 78 yards.

"Play action is really nice when you are running the ball really well," Pennington said. "You can suck the linebackers up and really get vertical with the secondary, and our guys did a great job of getting open."

Kitna and Pennington both threw interceptions to close the half. Safety Kerry Rhodes made a spectacular pick, leaping over Hofstra product Devale Ellis for a highlight-reel takeaway. The Jets couldn’t capitalize though as Pennington threw a high ball behind Chris Baker. Baker tipped the ball and it went right into the hands of Lions defensive back Terrence Holt.

"I got back was able to go up and get it," Rhodes said of his interception. "It was a good play for us; it was a play we needed at the time."

Down 21-7 at half, the Lions were fortunate to be within 14 points. The Jets won the line of scrimmage in the fist half, running for 128 yards and amassing 267 yards of total offense. Washington was particularly impressive behind a sturdy offensive line, running for 74 yards on 10 attempts.

Jason Hanson moved the Lions closer in the third, connecting from 25 yards out. The Lions marched 83 yards, but the Jets tightened up inside their 10 and forced a field goal after Kitna threw high to Williams on third down. Mike Nugent made it a two-touchdown Jets’ advantage, drilling a field goal home from 33 yards out.

The game grew even tighter after running back Kevin Jones scored on a nine-yard reception. Detroit dialed up a perfect shovel pass to make it a 24-17 game. But the Jets never lost their grip on the game, responding with a touchdown drive of their own which culminated on a 16-yard Washington run to the end zone. It was a team score as Tim Dwight and Laveranues Coles applied good blocks and rookie left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson got downfield to lead the perimeter blocking.

"We knew exactly what we needed to do," Pennington said of the response. "Kudos to our offensive line; they did such a great job of establishing the running game early and when we needed it the most right there at the last part of the game, they came through for us. That is big because you have to really run the ball against some tough looks and we were able to do that."

"I thought the offense did a really nice job, after Detroit scored, of coming back and putting together another effective drive and answering with points," Mangini added.

Mike Furrey’s 18-yard touchdown reception closed the scoring, but it was too little, too late for the visitors. The Green & White fittingly ran out the clock by running the ball down the Lions’ throats. The Jets run game totaled 221 yards.

"It's nice to be 4-3 at this point," said veteran offensive lineman Pete Kendall. "We got a couple of wins at home now and we're starting to play better in front of the home crowd. There is a long way to go, so we have to turn our attention to Cleveland and try to get a win on the road in a tough place to play."

Next up for the Jets is a trip to the shores of Lake Erie and a date with the Browns.

Notes: The Jets matched last season’s win total with the victory… Chad Pennington reached 10,000 career yards passing in the second quarter… The Jets converted on eight of 12 third down conversions….Jonathan Vilma, who led the team with 11 tackles, opened the second half for the Jets with his first interception of the season. Fellow linebacker Eric Barton was largely responsible for the club’s second takeaway, tipping Kitna’s ball after reading the quarterbacks’ eyes. The Lions have lost their last 53 games in which they have lost the turnover battle…The Jets did a good job on Roy Williams despite the touchdown, holding him to just two receptions… Defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson racked up a first quarter sack of Kitna… Brad Smith ran an end-around in quarter one, taking a handoff from Pennington and gaining six yards… NFL Umpire Bill Schuster received treatment from the Lions’ medical staff in the third quarter after getting hit by Leon Washington’s helmet. The helmet opened up a gash on Schuster’s nose and then he was trampled on by a number of players during the tackle… Andre Dyson was banged-up in the fourth quarter and was forced to leave the field. He was replaced by Justin Miller.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDkyMjMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Washington runs wild

Monday, October 23, 2006

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Leon Washington slithered through an opening off right tackle late in the fourth quarter, gained 9 yards and immediately bounced back to his feet in jubilation.

This time, he could feel good about rushing for 100 yards.

Washington's final carry of the game gave the Jets a first down and sealed their 31-24 win over Detroit on Sunday at Giants Stadium. Washington rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns on 20 carries, the second time the rookie has gone over the century mark.

"It feels pretty good to come out here and help the team out," Washington said.

The first time Washington went over 100 yards was against Jacksonville on Oct. 8, when he had 101 on 23 carries. But although that effort happened in his hometown, it also took place in a 41-0 loss, which tempered his excitement at the time.

But on this occasion, Washington's yards were important from start to finish. The first touchdown of the rookie's pro career, a 5-yard run in which he followed right guard Brandon Moore up the middle to the end zone, capped the Jets' first drive of the day.

"Our offensive line did a tremendous job of blocking," Washington said.

His second touchdown was a 16-yard tightrope act down the left sideline with 4:51 left, helped by blocks by wide receiver Laveranues Coles and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. It gave the Jets (4-3) a 31-17 lead and allowed them to withstand a late Detroit rally. That rally was ended by Washington's final carry, which enabled the Jets to run out the clock.

"He's a little guy," left guard Pete Kendall said of Washington, who is listed as 5 feet 8, 202 pounds but is closer to 5-7. "He's fast, elusive and he's able to make some people miss. I think the thing that probably surprises me and a lot of people the most is that Leon will hit it up in there between the tackles.

"He reminds me at the very early stages right now of a guy like Warrick Dunn," Kendall said, "who everybody says is not the prototypical size, and yet Warrick has made a career of running the ball, oftentimes between the tackles."

"If you focus on his size, that's the misconception," Ferguson said. "He's small, but he's tough."

"I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody," said Washington, adding that "throughout college [at Florida State], I had the opportunity to run between the tackles. So I know I'm capable of doing it, but at the same time, my job is to come here and do what the coach asks."

So Washington isn't worried about proving whether he is the answer to his team's running woes. The Curtis Martin-less Jets entered Sunday 21st in the NFL in rushing offense, and don't know whether the likely future Hall of Famer will be able to return from a knee injury this season.

"During practice, I prepare myself as if I'm getting 18 or three carries a game," Washington said. "When the situation arrives, I'm ready for it.

"The most helpful thing that Curtis Martin has showed me or told me is basically being more patient with my runs," Washington added. "I'm blessed with [having] Curtis Martin in the locker room."

And the Jets are fortunate to have Washington on the field.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDkxNzgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Game balls

Monday, October 23, 2006

Leon Washington

Jets' running back

The rookie started, rushed for the Jets' first and last touchdowns and picked up 129 yards on the game, spearheading a rushing attack that produced 221 yards, the Jets' most since rushing for 229 vs. Seattle in 2004.

Kerry Rhodes

Jets' safety

Rhodes had no sacks, not even a tackle. But he had a second-quarter interception, provided the deep help to team with the Jets' corners in limiting Roy Williams to two catches and came up with the Lions' onside kick that sealed the win.

Mike Furrey

Lions' wide receiver

With the Jets double-teaming Roy Williams all game, Furrey, who spent the 2002 preseason with the Jets, had game highs of nine catches, 109 yards and eight first downs and made a tip-toe TD grab with 2:22 to play.

-- Randy Lange

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDkxODgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets notebook

Monday, October 23, 2006

Justin's time

Justin McCareins keeps a stiff upper lip when asked whether he ever thought he'd ever go four games as a pro wideout without a catch.

"I don't think like that. I go week by week, basically," McCareins said after snapping his career-long catch-less streak with the 44-yard touchdown grab out of the Jets' run formation to open the lead over the Lions to 14-0.

"Things can be really good for you or disappointing in this game. I'm going to continue to work hard and hope to get more chances to make plays for this team."

The play was set up by a superb play fake from Chad Pennington to Kevan Barlow, allowing McCareins to find open space between Lions DBs Dr蠂ly and Terrence Holt.

"I went in there and just hit it hard," Barlow said, adding he knew it was a great fake "because they tackled me. J-Mac owes me a pat on the back."

Donnie defense-less

You knew Donnie Henderson was back at the Meadowlands because you could hear his piercing, repetitive whistles as he signaled his defense.

But Henderson's defense plays for Detroit now, and the Jets, his 2004-05 team, never allowed the fiery coordinator to dictate to them. Their offense scorched the Lions for 267 first-half yards -- their second-most first-half yardage since 2001 -- and finished with Eric Mangini-era highs in points (31), first downs (27) and yards (398).

Jon McGraw, the ex-Jets safety with the Lions, said Henderson tried all week to keep his emotions in check.

"Anytime you come back and play these guys you know there's a little more excitement and adrenaline," McGraw said. "I think, yeah, he kept his composure real well on the sideline."

But Henderson, who often left Giants Stadium darkly after Jets' losses, couldn't hide his postgame mood, glowering and declining to speak with Jets' reporters as he headed for the bus.

Briefs

LB Jonathan Vilma had a team-high 11 tackles and an interception deflected by Eric Barton. ... Laveranues Coles' 15-yard third-quarter end-around was his first rushing first down as a Jet since Minnesota in 2002 -- Pennington's first NFL game as a victorious starting QB.

-- Randy Lange

Archived