JETS ARTICLES - FRI 11/17

Sperm Edwards

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061117/SPORTS01/611170399/1108

Rivalry game a hot topic for Jets

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: November 17, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - Center Nick Mangold and linebacker Anthony Schlegel have more in common than being Jets' rookies, with both being drafted out of Ohio State. Both have let their hair grow fairly long.

But while Schlegel and fullback B.J. Askew, who played at Michigan, have bet a haircut over tomorrow's big Ohio State-Michigan tilt, Mangold will do no such thing.

"Schlegel's an idiot," Mangold said, laughing at his longtime teammate. "I love him, but I couldn't do that. I couldn't put something that drastic of a change on a sport. All of a sudden, I'd be bald, that'd be weird."

Instead, Mangold made a jersey bet with Askew, with the loser having to wear the winner's school colors.

It's a veteran move for the rookie, one of many he's made this season. The 29th overall pick in this year's draft won the starting job from the start of training camp.

Veteran left guard Pete Kendall said the biggest part of any rookie lineman's learning curve is knowing where the other players are on the field.

"You have to understand where your help comes from," Kendall said. "You have to understand scheme. I think Nick is a very instinctual player, and he's playing the same position he's played for quite a while. I'd say he's pretty much along in the learning curve."

In fact, Mangold might be the leading candidate for the team's rookie of the year award.

Not that Mangold believes that.

"It'd be an honor, but it would be difficult," Mangold said. "Leon (Washington) is running the ball, and (cornerback) Drew (Coleman) is back there. Some guys are doing a lot with their job."

Penguin pals: Jets coach Eric Mangini, nicknamed "The Penguin" by his players in training camp, was sent another stuffed penguin the other day, a dancing one from the new movie, "Happy Feet." He's also recently received a book on penguins and a penguin figurine.

"They are an impressive bird," Mangini said.

In fact, he prefers that moniker to the "Mangenius" headlines he saw after last Sunday's 17-14 win at New England. Mangini nearly flushed red when that was brought up.

"I think there will probably be a lot of other nicknames along the line," he said.

Same explanation: Having sent in video of linebacker Victor Hobson's roughing-the-passer call against the Patriots' Tom Brady for further review, Mangini said the response was essentially the same as referee Pete Morelli called it.

"It goes back to trying to not drive the quarterback into the ground," Mangini said.

Hobson also faces a possible fine, and there's speculation in New England that Brady injured his shoulder on the play, which led the team to sign ex-Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde.

Injury list update: The Bears added tight end Gabriel Reid (wrist) to their injury list as questionable. Wide receiver Rashied Davis and defensive tackle Tommie Harris have been removed from the list after being listed as probable Wednesday.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061117/SPORTS01/611170400/1108

Atlas' advice has given Jets a puncher's chance

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: November 17, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - As Eric Mangini walked off the Gillette Stadium field last Sunday with his arm around nose tackle Dewayne Robertson, he was asked why the Jets had been able to snap a seven-game losing streak to the Patriots.

"We were tired of having our lunch money taken," Mangini said.

The response was a result of the first-year coach's new relationship with famed boxing trainer and HBO analyst Teddy Atlas. He had addressed the team prior to its bye week and has been invited to do so again tomorrow in preparation of Sunday's game against the Bears.

And that all stems from Mangini's love of boxing. Several times this season, he has showed his team classic bouts as a motivational tool.

Last night, Mangini, Jets owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum were on the guest list for the Dr. Atlas Foundation Dinner in Staten Island, an annual event to raise money for the charity Atlas began to honor his father, Dr. Theodore Atlas.

When Atlas first spoke to the Jets, he relayed the story of a teenager he knew when he was working in Catskill training Mike Tyson. Mane Moore was always having his lunch money taken by a kid named Goo.

Atlas finally convinced the youth to stand up to the bully. And when Moore did, not only did Goo stop bullying him, he invited him to play basketball.

"The imagination of what you're going to deal with is much greater than the act will ever be," Atlas said yesterday.

Mangini showed the Jets Cassius Clay's first victory over then-champion Sonny Liston in 1964 the day before the Jets beat New England for the first time since 2002. Before the Jets won their season opener in Tennessee, Mangini showed his players Buster Douglas upsetting Mike Tyson, and he's also shown them Michael Moorer beating Evander Holyfield.

Atlas, who will also be on the field to meet Mangini prior to Sunday's game, said he'll bring another fight to show the Jets tomorrow.

"I got a phone call a few weeks back from Mike Tannenbaum, if he could possibly talk to me about talking to the team," Atlas said. "Mangini likes boxing and he said he'd watched my show and was familiar with my philosophy. He was wondering if Eric could call me, and I said, 'Yeah.'

"I went out there to Hofstra, and (Mangini) told me they had New England coming up and they'd lost seven games in a row (to them)," Atlas said. "I talked to him about things I would hope would elicit some response. I said when Tyson was fighting, his greatest strength was other people's weaknesses. I told the players, before Buster Douglas, you realized (Tyson's opponents) were defeated not because they couldn't fight but because they didn't. I said, why don't you just go out against New England and play them?"

Boxing has long been important to Mangini.

"Growing up, I was exposed to boxing through my dad with Friday night fights," Mangini said. "He controlled the TV, so that is what we watched. I probably should have had more dates, but that's what we watched. I think you can learn a lot from other sports and other athletes that you can apply to football."

His players are receptive to the idea. Rookie wide receiver Brad Smith, tight end Chris Baker and left guard Pete Kendall all said they liked the sport and understood how it correlates to football. None have ever boxed, though.

Punter Ben Graham, who came to the Jets after a career in the Australian Football League, has boxed. It was part of his preseason training with the Geelong Football Club.

"It's just thinking outside the square," Graham said. "We actually use boxing in Australia as a form of training. To get guys to work on their reflexes, footwork. We'd go to the guys' gyms and sometimes they'd come to us. It was kind of a weekly thing. It helps guys' aggressiveness, too."

Atlas does not profess to know much about football. But he said he was able to figure some things out about the Jets just by meeting them.

For instance, he was told tackling was a problem. So, talking to the players, he went through the possible reasons. Experience? No, he crossed that off the list. Teaching? Crossed that off, too. Incentive? Atlas said he knew the players did not have guaranteed contracts, so that couldn't be the case.

"I'm going to take a guess, your heads are too low," said Atlas, and the players agreed "We talked about the most powerful thing in the room, which in nature is the instinct to survive. A running back that runs a 40 anywhere between 4.2 and 4.6 and bench presses 400 pounds and he's got legs on him bigger than the oak legs on my table at home and stronger. You ever think your old buddy nature is saying, 'Hey, let's get out of here?'

"When we got done, Chad Pennington came up to me and said he was always told to recognize that the truth is very strong and powerful and that was the truth," Atlas said. "Curtis Martin came up and said, 'I'm going to buy your book.' "

Mangini's already a convert.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/472302p-397375c.html

Mangini gives 'em a break

After an emotional and hard-fought win over the Patriots, Eric Mangini hasn't gone soft on his Jets.

He's just a little more understanding of the situation the team is facing. For the first time this season, the Jets practiced in just shells rather than full pads on Wednesday.

"(We have) two really physical games back-to-back," Mangini explained as his team prepared for the Chicago Bears' visit to the Meadowlands on Sunday. "As the season moves on, there will be times periodically where you want to be able to mix in both (practices with shells and full pads)."

notebook.gif

BIRD BRAIN: Mangini had a light-hearted moment with the media yesterday when asked about Laveranues Coles' nickname for the head coach. Coles and other players have jokingly referred to Mangini as "Penguin."

"They don't tease me directly about it," Mangini said with a big smile. "However, I did get another penguin yesterday. I guess there's a new movie out (the animated penguin movie "Happy Feet"). Someone was nice enough to send me the dancing star of the penguin movie. Got a penguin book a couple of weeks ago, a penguin figurine. It's developing a life of its own. ...

"I think it's hilarious."

As for the other nickname Mangini has been tagged with, the coach could only smile and offer no comment. Some have started referring to the head coach as "Mangenius."

BEARING DOWN: The Jets will have their hands full trying to protect Chad Pennington this week against the Bears' pass rush, which pressured the Giants' Eli Manning into a rough second half as Chicago pulled away in last week's NFC showdown.

"They are definitely very fast," Mangini said. "They are fast and athletic."

GRUDGE MATCH: There are a handful of former Ohio State and Michigan players on the Jets' roster. So as one can imagine, there is no shortage of wagers being made on tomorrow's monster clash between the Big Ten rivals.

Center Nick Mangold (Ohio State) has made a bet with fullback B.J. Askew (Michigan) in which the loser has to wear the winner's jersey for a week.

Ohm Youngmisuk

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/472303p-397376c.html

Robertson coming of age

Class of '03 reunion set

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

On draft day 2003, the Jets were so convinced that Dewayne Robertson was going to be a defensive star that they sent three draft choices to the Chicago Bears for their fourth-overall pick to grab the Kentucky defensive tackle.

Eighteen picks later, the Bears picked the man they figured would be their quarterback of the future in Rex Grossman.

On Sunday, Robertson and Grossman meet for the first time as pros, three years after the two former SEC competitors were basically traded for one another. And it's taken about that long for both to come into their own.

In trading up to grab Robertson, the Jets sent their 13th (defensive end Michael Haynes, who is out of the league), 22nd (Grossman) and 116th (tackle Ian Scott) picks to the Bears. After failing to live up to expectations as large as his 317-pound frame over his first two seasons, Robertson is making an impact this season despite having to make the difficult transition from defensive tackle to nose tackle.

Switching from Herm Edwards' 4-3 scheme to Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense, Robertson has registered 25 solo tackles and two sacks. He looks as if he will surpass his career highs of 52 tackles (solo and assists) set in 2004 and 3-1/2 sacks posted last season.

Robertson was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week after having six tackles and one sack against the Patriots. Five of the tackles came within a yard of the line of scrimmage.

"Some people had high expectations because he was the fourth pick," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "You have such high expectations of a first-rounder, sometimes it takes a little longer. In D-Rob's case, his first year was real slow and after that he has been playing real good ball."

The same could be said about Grossman. After a torn ACL and broken ankle limited him to a total of eight games in his first three seasons, the former Florida quarterback is finally displaying his first-round potential.

While he has had two poor outings against Arizona and Miami in which he threw a combined seven interceptions, Grossman has thrown for 17 touchdowns this season. Aside from the Cardinals' and Dolphins' debacles, Grossman has thrown only four other interceptions in seven games.

The Bears have been preaching patience with Grossman. While some in Chicago wanted to see Brian Griese start in Grossman's place against the Giants last week after Grossman struggled in the Bears' lone loss, to Miami two weeks ago, Bears coach Lovie Smith steadfastly stood by his starter.

"He's going through a lot of things that quarterbacks go through when they start playing," Smith said. "There are some growing pains that Rex is going through."

It would have been expected for Robertson to have serious growing pains this season even though he was going into his fourth. Making the transition to nose tackle is a difficult one, especially since he is considered to be a bit undersized when compared to other rotund nose tackles around the league.

Mangini, though, raved about Robertson's work ethic, preparation and diligence toward making the change.

"He has been doing pretty well, huh?" said Jets offensive lineman Pete Kendall. "He has always been strong and explosive. I think he understands the types of blocks he is going to see now and he knows how to react to them better now."

Robertson refused to be interviewed yesterday, so Vilma did most of the talking for him.

"He always has been a good player," Vilma said. "And now people are starting to take notice."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets174979497nov17,0,1086721.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Not your typical 'D'

Bears' attacking 4-3 doesn't look or act like 3-4 the Jets usually see

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

November 17, 2006

Defenses are like people, Jets rookie tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson said. Some act in familiar ways, while others have unusual personalities. And in the course of a lifetime, you run into a fair share of both kinds. "You just get exposed to this and that," Ferguson said.

On Sunday, the Bears' defense will be much different from the type that the Jets have been used to hanging out with. After a steady dose of 3-4 monsters in the recent games against the Browns and Patriots - and even their own 3-4 set-up during the bye week - the Jets are preparing for a slick 4-3 that uses speed and penetration with such efficiency, it is the top-ranked defense in the NFL.

"It's totally different than what we've seen in the last two games," guard Pete Kendall said. "This is a one-gap team, their intention is simply to get up the field and cause a disruption. When you look at New England and Cleveland, they want to build a wall of solid line in front of you, there is not too much penetration up the field. They want to get all seven guys on the same level. With this defense, they tell their front to go get after it and the linebackers fit in after them."

The result is a lot of tackles for losses - the Bears have 32 of them this year, including nine by Brian Urlacher and eight from Lance Briggs - but also the possibility of an offense busting loose on a long run. The last three games the Bears have allowed a 100-yard rusher, most recently the Giants' Tiki Barber, which is enough of a crease in the otherwise imposing statistical dominance of the Bears to ease Kevan Barlow's worries a bit.

"As a running back I see that and I get anxious, but you have to stick with the game plan and what works best for us," said Barlow, who led the Jets with 75 muddy rushing yards against the Patriots. "I'm sure that [the Bears] are working on it over there to try and eliminate the 100-yard rusher."

There may be a huge difference between the 3-4 and the 4-3 to the outside world - and even the Jets' defense, which struggled early this season switching between the two - but for an offensive lineman whose depth of vision rarely strays beyond the man in front of him, it's just not that big of a deal.

"It's a big deal knowing your assignments, but with how many assignments there are, you don't have a huge amount of time to be worrying about who's going to be standing over you," rookie center Nick Mangold said of being freed from an over-the-center nose tackle in the coming game. "Knowing the player you're going against is huge, but not so much the defense you're going against."

Which is why most offensive linemen have no preference when it comes to facing a 4-3 or a 3-4. If one were truly easier to block against, everyone would just use the other.

What makes the Bears' defense truly intimidating is not how they line up, but who is lining up. Besides linebackers Urlacher and Briggs, the Bears also have Adewale Ogunleye, Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson and Alex Brown on the front line. The average weight of those four is about 278 pounds; the Patriots' starting front three on Sunday averaged 306.

"Normally when you play a team, you either have outside pass rushers or inside pass rushers. This team has both," Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. "They can threaten you from all parts of the field. Every gap they can shoot and cause havoc and they do a great job of ball disruption with the quarterback. We have our work cut out for us and it's going to be a big challenge for us."

Or at the very least, a different challenge.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes174979496nov17,0,3405732.story?coll=ny-jets-print

NOTEBOOK

Mich.-OSU wager: Hair to the victor

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

November 17, 2006

For some Jets, the big game this weekend isn't only against Chicago. Those who played at Michigan or Ohio State have been jawing for a few months because their schools seemed to be on a collision course for tomorrow's showdown. There are even a few wagers in the locker room.

Fullback B.J. Askew, a Michigan product, has bets going with a pair of Buckeyes, rookie center Nick Mangold and linebacker Anthony Schlegel. If Michigan wins, Mangold must wear Askew's old college jersey for a week, and if Ohio State is triumphant, Askew must don Mangold's jersey. "You'll be seeing him in maize and blue in a couple of days," Askew proclaimed yesterday.

The bet with Schlegel is much more serious: The loser must get a haircut. For Schlegel, that would mean trimming his long locks. Askew has a tighter 'do to begin with, but he'd be required to buzz it near the scalp.

Mangold, who has long hair and a full, scruffy beard, was asked about his former Ohio State teammate's decision to put something as important as his grooming on the line.

"Schlegel's an idiot," Mangold said, grinning and shaking his head. "I love him, but ... "

Twist of fate

One Michigan alum who might not have any extra money to bet is Victor Hobson, who was checking his mailbox yesterday to see if he will be fined by the NFL for his roughing-the-passer penalty against Tom Brady.

Coach Eric Mangini said he received an explanation from the league on the questionable call: "It goes back to trying to not drive the quarterback into the ground after you've made contact," he said. "They are supposed to try to twist him or not have that real forceful movement into the turf."

Mangini said he has had the players working with light bags on the "sack twist" so as not to draw any more such penalties.

Jet streams

The Bears removed DT Tommie Harris and WR Rashied Davis from the injury report but added TE Gabriel Reid (wrist, questionable) ... Mangini was asked if he would ever consider wearing a suit and tie on the sideline, as Mike Nolan and Jack Del Rio have petitioned the league for the right to do. "Probably not," he said, modeling his usual baggy black pullover. "This is kind of my suit and tie."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spguideb174979504nov17,0,3862177.story?coll=ny-giants-print

Jets: Tough act to follow

Bears (8-1) at Jets (5-4)

Line: Bears by 7 Over/Under: 38

After suffering through so many overmatched coaches (Joe Walton, Rich Kotite, Herman Edwards), Jets fans finally have a sharp one. Instead of blowing games he should have won, Eric Mangini is pulling out games he could have lost. He's maxing out with the talent he has, and the shocker at New England was the Jets' biggest regular-season highlight in a long time. Unfortunately, a letdown seems almost inevitable, and this matchup is unfavorable. Chicago should control the clock with RB Thomas Jones and put serious heat on Chad Pennington. The pick: Bears

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nfl/SIG=12bujne6c/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-offense&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jets might be on the run against Bears

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

November 16, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Kevan Barlow watched game film all week of running backs zipping through the Chicago Bears' defense, and couldn't help but get excited.

"As a running back, I see that and I get anxious," the New York Jets' second-leading rusher said Thursday. "But you have to stick with the game plan and what works best for us, whether that's throwing the ball or running the ball. I'm sure that they are working on it over there to try and eliminate the 100-yard rusher."

Chicago's usually dominant defense has allowed 100-yard rushers in three straight games. The Giants' Tiki Barber ran for 141 yards last Sunday, Miami's Ronnie Brown had 157 the previous week, and San Francisco's Frank Gore gained 111 in Week 8.

"We realize that, but at the same time, we're not focused on that," said rookie Leon Washington, who has the Jets' only two 100-yard games this season. "We're focused on the things that we need to do to win the game. As an offense and as a team, we do realize the type of opponent we have ahead of us this weekend."

Chicago has the NFL's top-rated defense, is No. 1 against the pass and second in points allowed with 13.3 per game. If there's a slight chink in the armor, it's the run defense. The Bears have allowed 98.3 yards rushing per game, tied for 10th best in the league, and the Jets need to take advantage of any edge they can get.

"They have the best team in the NFC," tight end Chris Baker said. "They're 8-1, they just stopped the Giants here last week and a big part of that is their defense. They force turnovers all over the place, so it's a big challenge for us, trying to see where we are as an offense."

The Jets' running game was slow out of the gate as coach Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer tried to find the right fit to replace the injured Curtis Martin. Derrick Blaylock got the first shot, but was ineffective. Barlow was next and Washington's workload increased. Cedric Houston also got a chance, but got injured.

Washington then had a breakout game against Jacksonville in Week 5, rushing for 101 yards on 23 carries. He had 129 yards and two touchdowns two weeks later against Detroit, seemingly grabbing hold of the starting job.

But the shifty Washington has carried the ball only 24 times for 86 yards in the last two games, while the bulldozing Barlow has had 91 yards and a TD on 22 carries -- including a 75-yard game in the rain and mud in New England on Sunday. Meet the Jets' newest version of their two-headed running game.

"They run plays we don't like to see on our defense, the misdirection plays, our keys take us different places," linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "So we've got to be slow until we know what is going on exactly and just go and figure it out and go to our gaps. They have good backs, you know Barlow and Washington are good players, they have a good offensive line and they do a pretty good job of blocking for them."

And a lot of that starts with rookie center Nick Mangold, who has drawn praise around the league for his veteranlike approach and ability to consistently make correct line calls.

"He constantly has to make good decisions and do some things in the front in terms of communication, getting everybody lined up," Mangini said. "I really am happy with the progress he continues to make."

Every week has been a learning experience for the first-round pick out of Ohio State, and this Sunday will be no different. Instead of New England's three-man line, the Jets will be facing the Bears' stout four-man rush with big tackles Tommie Harris and Tank Johnson and ends Adewale Ogunleye and Alex Brown.

"Every week in the NFL is another big challenge, but this week especially," Mangold said. "You watch those guys on film, they go after guys and they move around."

In order to make the running game effective against Chicago, New York will need to get the passing game going again. After two 300-yard games to start the season, Chad Pennington has thrown for over 200 in just one game since -- six games ago against Indianapolis on Oct. 1.

"It's all about executing the game plan," receiver Laveranues Coles said. "It doesn't have anything to do with what they're doing, it's what we're doing. If we go out and we're executing correctly and every guy does his job, we'll be fine."

Mangini: Interest in Boxing Has Increased

By Jets PR Department

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mangini-interest-in-boxing-has-increased

Eric Mangini's players are required to write scouting reports each week. They watch film of their individual match-ups and sometimes pick up tendencies the coaches don't even see. On Thursday, Mangini told reporters of an instance when cornerback Ty Law spotted a receiver who was tipping plays off.

"I won't tell you who the receiver is because he is still in the league," Mangini said. "But every time the guy would come up to the line of scrimmage, if it was a pass, he would re-buckle his gloves. If it was a run, he wouldn't do anything. We were able to get a run‑pass key off of just that."

The Jets offense has emphasized the use of different personnel in the offensive backfield. Sean Ryan, a third-year tight end from Boston College, sometimes lines up at fullback when the Jets go to a personnel grouping featuring one back, two tight ends, and two wide receivers.

"Sean Ryan has been in the backfield quite a bit for us out of the 12 personnel to build the same concepts that we use on a 21," Mangini said. "That is something that is by design where we're in 21 - two backs, one tight end, and two receivers - to be able to transition into 12, and build those formations.

"On the other side, when you're in 12 - one back, two tight ends, and two receivers - to go back and build 21," he explained. "The extra tight end can be a fullback; the fullback can be a tight end."

Read below for Coach Mangini's complete press conference transcript

Opening Statement…

This is a typical Thursday for us with third-down emphasis. A big part of last week's game was our success on third down both offensively and defensively. Chicago, pretty much like the rest of those situations, is good, especially defensively on third down, very effective offensively on third down. That will be a challenge, just like the rest of the areas.

I talked to the team this morning about the different style, especially of the defense that we're facing. We had two weeks in a row really of a variations of 34. Cleveland's was slightly different than New England's. That's a radically different style than what we'll see here against Chicago. It's not common where you face so similar a defense two weeks in a row. So getting back into the understanding of this style as opposed to that style.

One guy that I think has done a good job with that is Nick (Mangold). He constantly has to make good decisions and do some things in the front in terms of communication, getting everybody lined up. I really am happy with the progress he continues to make. It's a big week for him; the Ohio State game. We'll get him focused on Chicago.

On Chicago’s defense…

They do a nice job with their pressure, whether it's just from four down, whether it's some kind of zone blitz or full pressure. Then they do a nice job with their ball awareness down the field taking it away from receivers, running backs. That's something that obviously Lovie (Smith) has committed to because that's a skill, seeing not just the ball carrier, seeing the ball, understanding how to attack the football, it's something that we work on. Bryan Cox does it for us.

On being more aware of turnovers…

We've talked about it. It's such a huge part of any game, the give-away to take-away ratio. The correlation between that and victories is staggering as you go from plus one, plus two, plus three. It's something we work on each week. When you face a team as good as Chicago at taking the ball away, you just have to emphasize it that much more.

On the chemistry between tailbacks and fullbacks in a two-back set…

That's definitely important. I think the chemistry is important. But I think the overall fits are equally as important. Sean Ryan has been in the backfield quite a bit for us out of the 12 personnel to build the same concepts that we use on a 21. That's something that is by design where we're in 21, two backs, one tight end, two receivers, to be able to transition into 12, and build those formations. On the other side, when you're in 12, one back, two tight ends, two receivers, to go back and build 21. The extra tight end can be a fullback; the fullback can be a tight end. Really both of those guys work with Leon (Washington), Kevan (Barlow), and Cedric (Houston). It's the scheme and the concept as much as just the people.

On the speed of Chicago’s front seven…

They are definitely very fast. They are fast and athletic. Like a lot of teams we face here, they do a good job with pursuit to the football, finishing plays. Some of those take-aways that we were just talking about are a result of those effort plays. Finishing down the field, not just finishing, but then having another player in the area should the ball come out to be able to recover it.

On Chicago being vulnerable with the run game…

You could make an argument similar to the situation in New England where you're bringing pressure, you may give up a 50-yard run, but then you get four, five, six negative runs that potentially stop drives. Those overall statistics can be a little bit deceiving on four or five drives when they hit you with a negative play, force you to punt. Like we talk about every day, if you take those chances, at some point you got a shot to get hit as well.

On the benefit of the written scouting reports Mangini requires of his players…

It started when I was in Cleveland. That was when I first got involved. That was something that was part of the process. Then coming here the first time, the defensive backs would do reports, as well. That carried over straight through. It's good. It's good not just for the player doing it, but it's good for the other players to hear their thoughts. It's actually good for the coaching staff as well because there's some things that a player sees that you may have missed. The more sets of eyes that you have watching for those things, the better.

I remember Ty Law, I won't tell you who the receiver is because he is still in the league, but every time the guy would come up to the line of scrimmage, if it was a pass, he would rebuckle his gloves, if it was a run, he wouldn't do anything. We were able to get a run‑pass key off of just that. It's some of those small things, somebody has a tell. If you can get what the tell is, it helps.

On the value of the players writing information down…

I think it's beneficial to be able to evaluate it. There is some flexibility within the positions to do it different ways. When you have to write something down, you really have to go through and organize your thoughts and put it in a way that you guys know better than I do about writing things down. Just being able to tell the story.

On players presenting their reports in meetings…

Early in New England, in 2000, we would do the special situations section. What is their philosophy on second-and-one? What is their philosophy on second-and-10? The defensive line, I had those guys do the report on the special situations, then they presented it with tape. So similar to what a coach would do. It was really interesting early, but it had some effect. It had some effect in the approach, in the detail. Guys would kid each other about how someone was as a public speaker. It was good because you learned and there was a little bit of lightness to it.

On if other teams in the league use the same method…

I'm not 100 percent sure how everybody does it. It just evolved from the concept of the game within the game and how important that is.

On showing the players boxing matches…

Growing up I was exposed to boxing through my dad with Friday night fights. He controlled the TV so that is what we watched; I probably should have had more dates, but that's what we watched. That is a great memory for me of that time with him explaining some of the things that were going on. I think you can learn a lot from other sports and other athletes that you can apply to football. As I got to learn more about boxing in finding fights that apply, the interest has increased. Then, in getting to know Teddy Atlas some, that even increased the interest more.

On if the players tease him about his nickname, “Penguin”…

No, they don't tease me directly about it. However, I did get another penguin yesterday. I guess there is a new movie out. Someone was nice enough to send me the dancing star of the penguin movie. Got a penguin book a couple weeks ago, a penguin figurine. Jake has a penguin stuffed animal in his bed. It's developing a life of its own.

On Laveranues Coles and Mangini doing a commercial together…

I don't know what product we would push. There is a new “secrets of success” type book, business secrets that was also based on penguins. They are an impressive bird. Isn't the NFL Christmas ornament now a penguin, too? It’s a great year for the Penguin.

On being amused by the nickname…

Yes, I think it's hilarious. I think it's even funnier because of how prominent penguins have become with the movies. Sometimes you get tagged, but it is pretty funny.

On wearing a suit and tie on the sidelines…

Probably not. This is kind of my suit and tie.

On the explanation for Victor Hobson’s roughing the passer penalty…

It goes back to trying to not drive the quarterback into the ground after you've made contact. They are supposed to try to twist him or not have that real forceful movement into the turf.

On a sack that dove Pennington into the ground…

That was one of the plays that wasreviewed. We sent it in to be reviewed.

On if Hobson was fined for the penalty…

That actually comes out a little bit later on in the week.

On if Hobson would have been penalized had the hit occurred before Tom Brady released the football…

The goal of the rule, which is completely understandable, is to protect the quarterback. They are just trying to say, if you do make that contact, you have to attempt to not drive your full weight into him as you go into the turf or the grass, whatever the case may be.

On coaching players not to put their full weight on the quarterback…

It's hard to simulate that because you could do it a little bit with the bags. You'd have to use lighter bags. You love the idea of being able to hit the quarterback. It's just to do a lot of drills on the sack twist on the quarterback, just a ton of time to get that done. We'll definitely cover it.

On when he felt the veterans starting to bye into his philosophy…

I guess I hadn't really tried to evaluate it that way. What I was looking for is the tempo of practice, the consistent work ethic, the execution. The running in between I think is outstanding, guys working after practice. To me it was more just looking at how the group was working collectively. That has gotten a little bit better each week.

On the progress of players understanding…

I'd say it has been gradual progress.

On being tabbed “Mangenius”…

I don't know. I think there will probably be a lot of other nicknames down the line. I don't have any feeling on that.

On practicing in shells yesterday…

Yesterday was the first day. I think there were two really physical games back-to-back. We had worked in some shell work on Thursday as opposed to full, kind of pulled back a little bit there. As the season moves on, there will be times periodically where you want to be able to mix in both as you get into the 10th, 11th, 12th games. This is something we did probably about four or five weeks ago on Thursday, started splitting it up. There will be periods here where you'll go a week or two without any. The key thing there is maintaining the same tempo and fits as you would. You don't have the same level of contact obviously, but the first steps and then the finish of running the play, hitting the hole, stays consistent.

On the no-huddle offense…

It's really what we do, so it will be here. It's not really going to change. It will stay that way. We did have the long drives against New England. We've had some long drives, the opening one against Cleveland. You can tempo that to be either really fast or similar to any situation where it's no‑huddle, but it's not hurry up.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMjE2MDkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Bill's mind game

November 16, 2006

Matt Chatham, a member of Bill Belichick's Patriots for six years, added another chapter to the Belichick files from Sunday's game.

Chatham was asked Wednesday if he was the player who was offside on Mike Nugent's third-quarter kickoff, forcing a re-kick and a loss of 9 yards in field position. He said "a large number" of Jets actually crossed the 30 too quickly.

"When that happens, it's a potshot for the official to call anyone," Chatham said. "As I was running back, Bill had ahold of an official and he was yelling, 'It was 58! It was 58!'"

Referee Pete Morelli then announced "Number 58," Chatham, as the guilty party, and Belichick had won another one on the head-game scoreboard. But Chatham's team won on the scoreboard that counts.

-- Randy Lange

Mangold is the Center of Progress

By John Beattie

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mangold-is-the-center-of-progress

With his bushy blonde beard and flowing golden locks, more often then not, it’s easy to peg Nick Mangold as the center of attention in the Jets locker room. Likewise, Mangold has been the target of many hungry opposing nose tackles thus far in his rookie campaign, and most have come away famished.

The rookie center took over the Jets offense this season and since his addition to the lineup, he has become a show stopper. Just last week, Patriots nose tackle and former first round pick Vince Wilfork, a 6’2”, 325-pound tackle, was held to just three tackles and zero sacks in his match-up with Mangold. Before the Jets’ bye week, gargantuan Browns nose tackle Ted Washington, 6’5”, 365 pounds, was virtually wiped from the stat book as he accounted for just one tackle.

Needless to say, Mangold, the 29th overall selection in last April’s draft has been learning on the fly and is at the top of his class according to one seasoned upperclassman.

“I would say he has done pretty well along the learning curve,” said 11-year veteran Pete Kendall of Mangold. “He has done a real nice job running the show for us since he came in. There really haven’t been any rough spots or glaring errors that you say, ‘Gee that’s a rookie mistake.’”

Mangold assumed the role of starting center on the first day of Training Camp. Trey Teague was expected to compete with Mangold for playing time, but the veteran battled injuries throughout camp and the season and never took the field for the Jets. With the loss of Kevin Mawae to free agency in the offseason, the Jets were in need of some leadership at the position. Even though Mangold had never taken a snap in the NFL, his awareness of the game and his keen knowledge of the position caught the eye of the Jets scouts prior to the draft.

For Mangold, he has played the position so long, it has become elementary.

“In seventh grade they had me snap the ball, and I’ve been doing it ever since,” Mangold said. “There is no special skill other than knowing your job and making sure you’re doing what you’re told to do. In the NFL, guys are so experienced and have so much knowledge; the center is just another position on the line.”

“He has played the same position for quite awhile,” added Kendall. “It is a different league obviously but playing center is playing center - the concepts are pretty much the same.”

There is no doubt that this week of preparation has been Mangold’s – as well as the rest of the offensive line’s – most comprehensive task. The Bears not only have the top ranked defense in the NFL, but they come in with a completely different attack than the Jets’ previous two opponents – the Patriots and the Browns.

The imposing defensive tackle tandem of Tommie Harris and nose tackle Tank Johnson will constantly be in Mangold’s face Sunday as the Bears run a 4-3 defense with Tampa Two principals. Behind Harris and Johnson is middle linebacker Brian Urlacher, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year whose masterful tackling talents need not further explanation.

“I talked to the team this morning a little bit about the different style - especially the defense we are facing,” said head coach Eric Mangini. “We have had two weeks in a row really of variations of the 3-4. Cleveland was slightly different than New England’s and that is a radically different style than what we will see here against Chicago. It is not common where you face a similar defense two weeks in a row, so we are getting back to understanding this style as opposed to that style.

“Nick definitely has to make good decisions and do some things in front in terms of communication and getting everyone lined up,” continued Mangini. “I am really happy with the progress he continues to make.”

A wrong decision by any Jets player this weekend will, more likely than not, put them in the hole. The Bears lead the league with 27 takeaways and their ability to take advantage of slip-ups comes on all sides of the ball, giving new meaning to “costly turnover.”

“Those guys move around so much you never know who is going to be on top of you,” Mangold said of the Bears. “Every weekend in the NFL it seems to be another big challenge but this week especially because when you watch these guys on film, they are up there moving around and getting after the ball. It is going to be a tough challenge.”

With the biggest college football game of the year approaching on Saturday, the Bears defense may not be the only problem Mangold faces, as locker room bragging rights are on the line. Mangold and fullback B.J. Askew, a former Michigan Wolverine, are putting their jerseys where their mouths are. If the Buckeyes win, Askew has to wear Mangold’s Ohio State uniform for an entire week, and vice-versa.

“It is a big week for him with the Ohio State game,” Mangini said. “But we got him focused on Chicago.”

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/11/16/shell-game/

Shell game

Who says Eric Mangini is a strict disciplinarian?

For the second straight day, the Jets practiced in ``shells,’’ instead of their full pads. It’s a nice treat on a hot August day or in the middle of a long, grueling NFL season. It’s a way of saying to your players, ``Hey, I see the hard work you’re putting in, I respect it and here’s a bone for your troubles.’’

Mangini added he recognized the Jets were playing two, physical teams back-to-back in the Patriots and Bears.

Meanwhile, much respect for Mangini coming from the Chicago side. Bears quarterback Rex Grossman did say Wednesday on his conference call with the New York media that the Jets should have beaten the Colts early on, a game they lost 31-28 in Week 4.

Also in practice today, the team was working hard on protecting the ball since the Bears lead the NFL with 119 points off turnovers, or 43.8 percent of their 272 points. The Bears have the most takeaways (27) and the fifth-highest takeaway margin (plus-7) in the NFL.

Then, take this for what it’s worth, rookie linebacker Anthony Schlegel was playing the role of the Bears All-Pro middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1163742014268300.xml&coll=1

Jets will take cover when Bears attack

Friday, November 17, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The Chicago Bears defense has posted some intimidating numbers this season, indicative of their age-old moniker as "Monsters of the Midway."

The Bears rank first in the NFL in total defense. They've yielded just 13.3 points per game, second in the NFL. They lead the league with 119 points off turnovers and in third-down defense, holding opponents to a 25.6 conversion percentage (31-for-121).

But the number that most concerns the Jets is 27. That's the number of turnovers the Bears have forced this season. They just don't play defense to stop an opponent from scoring, they play to try to score themselves.

"They're tenacious," Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. "What's really amazing to me is how many turnovers they have caused. They haven't played a game where they haven't caused at least multiple turnovers.

"Normally when you look at a defense, you look at them from a defensive perspective. But they actually have an offensive mentality in that they believe that they can score points."

The Jets (5-4) face the Bears (8-1) on Sunday at Giants Stadium and protecting the ball will be job one. The Jets have had 15 giveaways this season (nine INTs, six fumbles).

"It's a big emphasis on (protecting the ball) in practice this week," Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "Anytime you're facing a team that creates turnovers the way they do, you have to pay attention to that. They win games that way."

Jets running back Kevan Barlow said the scout team has been trying to strip the ball out during practices this week.

"They do a nice job with their ball awareness down the field, taking it away from the receivers or the running backs," coach Eric Mangini said. "That's something that obviously (coach) Lovie (Smith) is committed to because that's a skill: seeing not just the ballcarrier but the ball and understanding how to attack the ball."

Chicago has had two five takeaway games (49ers and Bills) and has notched at least two turnovers in every game this season, including a loss to Miami. The Bears are tied for second in the NFL with 13 interceptions. They've recovered a total of 14 fumbles, including four on special teams.

Though they've lost Pro Bowl strong safety Mike Brown (foot) for the season, the Bears defense continues to roar. Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher (103 tackles -- based on coaches' review) and defensive tackle Tommie Harris (five sacks), both Pro Bowlers, lead the charge.

Rookie defensive end Mark Anderson, a fifth-round pick out of Alabama, has been the big surprise. He has 7 1/2 sacks, including three strip sacks. Twenty-two of the Bears' 23 sacks have come from their front four, which includes defensive end Alex Brown (five sacks, including three strip sacks).

Cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. has a team-high four interceptions and weakside linebacker Lance Briggs has 89 tackles.

Chicago plays an attacking, cover-two scheme that emphasizes generating a pass rush with the front four, similar to the old Tampa Bay Bucs teams under former coach Tony Dungy. The Bears, however, have allowed three straight 100-yard rushers, including the Giants' Tiki Barber (141 yards on 19 carries last week).

The Bears' front seven is exceptionally fast and athletic. All seem to have playmaking ability.

"Their whole front seven is full of guys who can wreck a series or wreck a game," Jets guard Pete Kendall said. "Obviously, everyone wants to talk about Brian, but their front four gets after it. The thing that jumps out to me is just how fast they play."

Notes: Pennington's father, Elwood, who suffered a major heart attack in August, will attend his first game this season on Sunday. Pennington and his father, who coached him in high school, are extremely close. ... Mangini has eased up on his players a bit, having them practice in shells (helmet and small shoulder pads) this week for the first time this season. ...

Several Jets players who attended Michigan and Ohio State have made friendly bets on tomorrow's big game. One has FB B.J. Askew (Michigan) wearing an Ohio State jersey for a couple of days if Michigan loses and C Nick Mangold (Ohio St.) donning a Michigan jersey if Ohio State loses. ...

Though Jets LB Jonathan Vilma was recruited by Rutgers coach Greg Schiano at Miami and thought he would be successful at Rutgers, he never believed it would happen this fast.

"I knew it (was coming) because of the way he prepared, the way he treats his players and the way he coaches," said Vilma. "It was just a matter of getting the talent and now he has the talent.

"He's a terrific coach and recruiter. He knows what he wants and he's very specific about the type of players he wants."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMjIwODAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets ready for kick returns

Friday, November 17, 2006

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Devin Hester has the Jets' attention.

"We face challenges every week," punter Ben Graham said, "but he's probably our biggest."

"Sure, I know Devin," said fellow Miamian Jonathan Vilma. "He's very fast."

But as dangerous as Chicago's second-round rookie is, the Jets have a few ways of neutralizing him when the Bears return to the Meadowlands to take on the Jets on Sunday.

One is preparation. The Jets still would have been ready for Hester this week even if he hadn't run back Jay Feely's short 52-yard field goal try 108 yards Sunday night against the Giants.

"Yes, that situation has come up," placekicker Mike Nugent said Thursday. "We've talked about it, and we even actually practiced it a few times during training camp. Anything that can happen, we've worked on it."

"It's the just-in-case theory," Vilma said.

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff, Nugent and his field goal team have already gone over responses should, say, a wet football cause a rare errant snap by James Dearth. That preparation might have come in handy at New England but wasn't needed.

And all the quarterbacks have practiced pooch punts this season, in case the right situation should arise, which it did Sunday -- Chad Pennington's 29-yard punt with 2.8-second hang time rolled dead as planned at the Patriots 4.

"My money was on Patrick [Ramsey] on Saturday," coach Eric Mangini said about the Jets' last practice pooch-off. "Chad rolled it down to the 2, Patrick's hit in the end zone, and Kellen's [Clemens] was like my golf game."

Clemens shrugged off the critique of his punting style and said Mangini's situations-based approach has helped the Jets in several games.

"The big thing on Hester's return is just knowing it's possible," he said. "From what I understand, some of the players on the Giants' field goal team were actually going off the field. It was a very heady play by the Bears. But that's one of the things coach Mangini stresses, to have some situational awareness."

Another weapon the Jets can use against Hester is Graham's surgical end-over-end drop punt. His overall numbers are good but not great this season, yet he's on a roll with his nine punts in the last three games, leaving opponents starting on average from their 15-yard line.

"There's two sides to it: the job you're doing for your team and the statistics side of it," Graham said. "It's unusual that you can get both jobs done together. But I can certainly say I'm doing a better job for the team this year than I was last year."

If all else fails and Hester, the NFC's leading punt returner with a 13.1-yard average and two touchdowns, breaks loose again, the Jets can at least try to respond with their own field-position reversal artist, kickoff returner Justin Miller.

Miller has KO'd the NFL's top kickoff men the last two games, Cleveland's Josh Cribbs and New England's Laurence Maroney. The result of this heavyweight climb is that Miller wears the belt as the league's top returner at 30.1 yards per runback.

Would he like a shot at a missed field goal?

"Yeah. I'll return everything I can," he said.

If Hester's bolt from the blue against the Giants has told the Jets anything, it's not to feed the Bears, whose five return TDs are tied for the NFL lead with Minnesota.

"I think it does a good job of summing up the type of team they are," guard Pete Kendall said. "If the Monday night game in Arizona wasn't proof enough that they're going to find ways to win a game, that was another sterling example. Defense, special teams, offense _ they get after it."

Email: lange@northjersey.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11172006/sports/jets/jets_flying_first_class_jets_steve_serby.htm

JETS FLYING FIRST CLASS

By STEVE SERBY

November 17, 2006 -- THE PLEA comes from No. 1 Fan Joe Namath, to his beloved Jets. "Win for yourself, yeah," Namath was saying, and quickly chuckling. "Win for US too! What do you think we've been going through for God knows how long?"

What Namath and titillated Jet fans are watching now is the innocent climb of a team that believes, in a league where there are no guarantees. Really, if the Jets can beat the Patriots on the road, why can't they beat the Bears at home Sunday?

You do not have to be the '69 Jets to make noise in NFL 2006. But no one on the outside saw this kind of season coming, with a rookie head coach, with a surgical quarterback who had to take a mammoth paycut, a Hall of Fame running back who wasn't going to play, a pair of rookies on the offensive line, square pegs in round holes on defense and no one on either side of the ball who terrifies the other team.

You better believe Ya Gotta Believe means something.

It starts with Eric Mangini, the same guy every day, who demands the same team every week.

"He's relentless in how hard he works, he's relentless in his preparation, he's relentless on us, no matter win, lose or draw," Chad Pennington said. "He pays very close attention to the finer details of those things that a lot times people overlook."

The rookie coach never believed the disbelievers. "No one on the outside had any expectations of this team,'' Pennington said, "and so when you have a coach who comes in and says, 'I have high expectations for you,' you in return have high expectations of yourself, and as a team."

The way the Jets play is a reflection of Mangini's personality. "Our mindset and our attitude doesn't change based upon the ebb and flow of the game; a game is like a roller coaster and has its adversity, has its high points and low points, but I think you always see our team maintain the same approach and the same attitude no matter what happens," Pennington said. "I don't think we go in the dumps if something bad happens and I don't think we get too high if something good happens."

Mangini virtually punctured Jet eardrums with rap music in training camp. "I think that's one thing that he has helped us with, is being mentally tough," Pennington said.

But it would be a mistake to believe that it starts and ends with Mangini.

"Everybody forgets that the year before I came here, which was two years ago, they went to the playoffs," Laveranues Coles said. "Last year everybody got hurt and all of a sudden the team [stinks] . . . a lot of the guys that were making plays are still here. I mean, we always felt like we could win."

Ex-Cowboy Sean Ryan was asked the difference between Mangini and Bill Parcells. "I think they're pretty similar; I think the one thing they do is they generally care about their players, both on and off the field, so they want to see you do well, so they get to know their players enough so they know what it takes to motivate certain players," Ryan said.

Ryan enjoys Mangini's Saturday night fights - Clay-Liston last week, Moorer-Foreman, Hagler-Hearns and Ultimate Fighting championship before that. "I think it lightens the mood a little," Ryan said.

Pennington saw the proof of Mangini's preparation pudding in the opener at Tennessee. "It's us believing in ourselves, that's the main thing," Coles argues, "us bonding with each other and knowing each other's capabilities; we depend on each other and make each other accountable.

"It has a lot to do with him making us accountable to each other, but that's the main thing, he allowed us to see the potential that each individual has on this ballclub, and we all expect for each other to go out and do what we're supposed to do and that's what makes it right."

No one wants to believe in these Jets more than Broadway Joe. "The only way you get confidence is by proving you can do it; by beating the Patriots in their backyard, they got the respect of everyone else in the National Football League," Namath said.

Believe it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11172006/sports/jets/tough_love_does_trick_for_coleman_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

TOUGH LOVE DOES TRICK FOR COLEMAN

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 17, 2006 -- Since the day he was selected in the sixth round of the 2004 draft, Erik Coleman has been a wonderboy of sorts, a model of success, proof that a low-round draft pick can come right into the NFL and make an impact as a starter.

Coleman took hold of a starting safety job from the moment he walked onto the field in training camp and became a leader on the Jets defense, picking off four passes in his rookie year, recording two sacks, forcing a fumble and recovering one.

His second year was strong, too, with a career-high 121 tackles and two more interceptions.

Coleman, being a conscientious hard worker, a quiet pro, figured to have no problem adjusting to Eric Mangini and his program.

Three weeks into this season, though, Coleman found himself benched or, as Mangini, who doesn't like the sound of the word "benched," said, was a subject of "changing opportunities."

The benching took place right after the Jets' loss to the Patriots, which Coleman recalled as one of his worst games. He had only seven tackles in the first two games and was not himself.

Coleman played, though without starting, for the next three games before finally being reinstated as a starter four weeks ago against the Dolphins. He's had no fewer than six tackles in any game since, averaging eight per game.

And on Sunday against the Patriots, Coleman had his breakout game of the season to date, making eight tackles as a key in some run-force blitzes that slowed the New England rushing attack and he made as critical one-handed INT of a Brady pass in the fourth quarter that helped seal the Jets' upset victory.

"Sure, it hurt," Coleman said of his benching. "When your mom calls and asks, 'What's going on?' it hurts. It was initially hard to deal with. I've been used to being the guy that other guys look up to, that guys ask questions to. It's not that that changed, but when you're not starting, for a second, you have a little doubt.

"Once that second passed I had to get back to working hard and doing things that made me successful in the past, which is playing well, making plays, making tackles and being a leader in the secondary on defense."

Being the mature-beyond-his years solid citizen that he is, Coleman conceded that the Mangini tough love "is making me a better player, realizing that every game, game in game out you, have to perform at a high level. It (the benching) was good for me personally as well as the team.

"He was doing it to make me a better player and ultimately doing it to make the team better, and that's most important." Though the perception might indicated as different story, Coleman was never in Mangini's dog house, not even while he wasn't starting.

"Erik cares deeply about not just playing, but about the team," Mangini said. "I really like Erik. I like Erik as a player. I like Erik as a person. The key thing is always doing what is best to help us win week-in and week-out. He and I have talked about those things, and he works at it each day, and he's gotten better.

"Last game, he made some really important plays, the one-handed grab on the interception was outstanding."

Coleman called his performance in Foxborough "big, especially to play well against a team like New England, which early in the year I had probably one of my worst games against. To bounce back against them and play well was a big boost to my confidence."

And, of course, a big boost to the Jets' defense.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11172006/sports/jets/fb_askew_likes_um_in_big_game_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

FB ASKEW LIKES UM IN BIG GAME

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 17, 2006 -- There has been some spirited banter amongst the Jets about tomorrow's pivotal college football game between Michigan and Ohio State.

Fullback B.J. Askew, one of two Michigan products on the Jets' roster, has a couple of wagers going with his teammates. If Michigan wins, rookie LB Anthony Schlegel, a former Buckeye, has to cut his shoulder-length hair to a more corporate length. If Michigan loses, Askew must shave down his hair.

When Jets rookie center Nick Mangold, another of the three Ohio State products on the Jets (kicker Mike Nugent is the third), heard about Schlegel's bet, he quipped, "Schlegel's an idiot."

Mangold, who has a grizzly beard that hasn't been trimmed since before the season began, was asked if he'd bet a shave of his beard.

"I wouldn't put that on the line," he said.

Mangold has a bet with Askew that if Michigan wins, he'll wear Askew's college jersey around for a week, and, if Ohio State wins, Askew wears Mangold's Ohio State jersey for the week.

Jets LB Victor Hobson, a former Wolverine, said he's got enough action going on the game that "it could hurt me in the wallet."

He's got a bet going with Schlegel and Mangold and, Chargers tackle Shane Olivier, an Ohio Stater whom Mangold knows.

"Mangold baited me with Olivier for a cross-country wager," Hobson joked.

Asked if he'll watch the game with teammates, Hobson said, "I'm going to watch it alone. I don't want to see their disappointed faces when Ohio State loses."

Nugent said he won't bet money on his team, but he has a wager with Jets DBs coach Corwin Brown, a Michiganer, who has to wear his Ohio State jersey all next week if the Wolverines lose.

The Bears lead the NFL with 27 takeaways and have a plus-seven turnover ratio, much better than the Jets' plus-one ratio. The Bears are second in the NFL with 13 INTs, and they lead league in forced and recovered fumbles with 14. "They are tenacious and they do a great job playing team defense," Chad Pennington said. "What's really amazing to me is how many turnovers they have caused. They have caused 27 turnovers, three per game. They haven't played a game where they haven't caused at least multiple turnovers.

"They actually have an offensive mentality in that they believe that they can score points and that they believe they can cause a lot of opportunities for their offense and give their offense a short field."

Jets RB Kevan Barlow, who had his best output as a Jet last week with 75 rushing yards, was asked about the Bears allowing a running back to rush for 100 yards in three straight games.

"As a running back, I see that and I get anxious, but you have to stick with the game plan and what works best for us," he said. "I'm sure that [the Bears] are working on it over there to try and eliminate the 100-yard rusher."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11172006/sports/jets/his_sobering_experience_jets_steve_serby.htm

HIS SOBERING EXPERIENCE

By STEVE SERBY

jets128a.jpg

November 17, 2006 -- Joe Namath tells "60 Minutes" Sunday night that his infamous Suzy Kolber incident was a turning point on his road to sobriety. "It was that incident that brought to light that I needed to do something, absolutely," Namath tells Bob Simon. "And I'm glad [it happened]. I hated having to deal with that incident, the family, the friends ... the fans. I mean, that really hurt."

Namath's lifelong bout with the bottle played out on national television in December 2003. "I was under the influence, and when you get under the influence, you may think you have things under control, but it's a fact that you don't." Kolber asked how he felt about the poor performance of his former Jet team and the inebriated Namath replied, "I want to kiss you. I could care less about a team struggling."

Namath tells Simon that he fights an imaginary drinking buddy who is always lurking nearby. "Slick is there. Slick's whispering to you ... You start getting flashes in your head and then, fortunately, I know it's no contest. Lifestyle without [alcohol] is far healthier, more fun, more beneficial."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/17/sports/football/17jets.html

Mangini’s Chilly Reputation Thaws

By KAREN CROUSE

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Nov. 16 — By the time Eric Mangini reached the visitors’ locker room Sunday, he had been unmasked. Gone was the no-nonsense expression that he wears like a pair of nonprescription glasses, to project an air of authority.

Mangini, the Jets’ first-year coach, waddled into the room as if imitating the walk of a penguin, and did a little dance that could have been choreographed by the animators of “Happy Feet.”

His players, who started calling Mangini the Penguin behind his back during training camp, howled their approval.

A few noticed that as Mangini addressed the team after its 17-14 upset of the New England Patriots, his face was red, almost as if he were flushed with success, and that he appeared close to tears.

He stopped praising his players long enough to say, “I’m trying to stop from blushing.”

Six days of the week, Mangini practices impassivity, the better to prevent his players’ emotions from seesawing, but on game days, his passion for the game and his regard for those who play it at its highest level is there for all to see.

“He’s a very emotional guy,” running back Kevan Barlow said Thursday. “And I think he really cares about his guys.”

Barlow had been a Jet less than 24 hours when he saw Mangini’s caring side. He was traded by San Francisco late in training camp, and on his way out, an emotional Barlow said some disparaging things about the 49ers’ coach, Mike Nolan.

The 27-year-old Barlow had already developed a reputation for talking, so everyone was curious to see how he would fit in with Mangini.

Barlow’s first meeting with his new coach ended with a hug. Barlow has been firmly in Mangini’s corner ever since. “I guess I just picked up on his energy,” said Barlow, who called Mangini the best coach he has had in his six seasons in the N.F.L.

Woody Johnson, the Jets’ owner, pointed to Barlow’s quick conversion as his clearest sign that Mangini was building a coalition in the locker room. “Kevan Barlow came in and was a bit unhappy, and now he’s turned around and has become a zealot,” Johnson said Wednesday.

Johnson attends most of the Jets’ practices, and from what he can see, Mangini has won over the players by treating everybody the same. “I remember in training camp watching the center and Pennington fumble a snap,” Johnson said, referring to quarterback Chad Pennington, “and then Pennington running a lap.” He added: “That’s when I knew Eric was building a true team mentality. He holds everybody accountable and treats everybody the same.”

Erik Coleman, the third-year safety, had started every game in his N.F.L. career until Mangini came along. After being slowed by an appendectomy in training camp, Coleman was benched by Mangini in Week 3 after performing miserably in the Jets’ first regular-season meeting with New England. He played three games as a reserve before regaining his starting position.

The demotion, Coleman said, “was initially hard to deal with.” Coleman might not have agreed with Mangini’s decision at the time, but he has come to respect it. “He’s doing it to make me a better player,” Coleman said, “but he’s ultimately doing it to make the team better.”

Mangini kept assuring Coleman that once he was able to lose himself in the game, the tackles and tipped balls would start coming. And that is what happened, with Coleman contributing eight tackles and an interception Sunday.

“Your first impression of Coach is that he’s quiet,” Coleman said. “Once you get talking to Coach, he’s funny. He’s a good guy.”

Mangini did not play in the N.F.L., like Herm Edwards, the Jets’ previous head coach, did. At 35, Mangini is too young to be the father figure that Edwards was to many players. But Mangini empowers them with his attention to detail.

“I can tell guys are starting to buy into what he’s doing,” Barlow said. “Not that they weren’t before, but guys are starting to realize what he’s saying is paying off.”

After accepting the limpest of handshakes from his mentor, Patriots Coach Bill Belichick, Mangini walked off the field at Gillette Stadium on Sunday with his arms around defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, a mountain of a man whose reticence makes him hard to get close to.

When Mangini took the Jets’ job, he was given mixed reviews about Robertson, whom the Jets took in the first round in 2003. The first time they met, Mangini sat him down and told him what was expected of him.

Robertson, Mangini said, has done everything asked of him and more. He is, at 317 pounds, Mangini’s biggest convert. But hardly the only one.

Schlegel: It's Going to be Crazy

11-17-06

By Jets PR Department

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/schlegel-it-s-going-to-be-crazy

Although the defeating the Bears is the number one priority this weekend for the Jets, many members of the Green and White will be glued to their hotel room televisions come Saturday afternoon, when Ohio State hosts Michigan.

“It’s a big game. It’s always been a bitter rivalry, although there is a lot of respect between the two teams with the players,” veteran linebacker and former Wolverine Victor Hobson said. “It is number one and number two competing over a National Championship. Michigan is solid on defense every year; they create a lot of turnovers and hold games to a few points, so I think we have the advantage.”

Read below for the complete transcript from inside the Jets locker room

New York Jets’ LB Anthony Schlegel, 11.17

On Nick Mangold not wagering his hair…

Nick may not have the confidence I have in the Buckeyes, but I’m sure he does.

On making bets with Victor Hobson…

We have other bets going around the team, because Corwin Brown and Jim Herrmann coached there. I know Nick Mangold has a bet with B.J. Askew where they would have to wear each other’s jerseys. There are some other good bets out there.

On his analysis of the Michigan/Ohio State game…

It’s a great game for both programs; it’s such a great rivalry and the fact that they’re one and two, playing for a shot at the National Championship, so much is on the line, but it’s in “The Shoe.”

On if the loser of this game should still play for the National Championship…

I think it’s going to depend on what kind of game it is, if it’s a close game. But, there are other great teams out there. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for Ohio State.

On what it’s going to be like for the players on Saturday…

It’s going to be crazy. I was there last year and the Ohio State/Michigan game is always huge, then we had Texas which was a big game. I think this one is going to be even bigger, because of everything that is riding on it. Tickets are going for three grand, or something, so it’s definitely the biggest game of the year. Last week, we saw Louisville/Rutgers and how big that game was, but we’ll have 105,000 [fans] there, so it’s going to be loud.

New York Jets’ LB Victor Hobson 11.17

On Anthony Schlegel’s bet with B.J. Askew…

That’s a bet I won’t get into; I don’t have a lot of hair to mess around with. Schlegel can lose some and he’ll be okay.

On the match-up between Michigan and Ohio State…

It’s a big game. It’s always been a bitter rivalry, although there is a lot of respect between the two teams with the players. It’s number one and number two competing over a National Championship. Michigan is solid on defense every year; they create a lot of turnovers and hold games to a few points, so I think we have the advantage.

On if he will have a chance to watch the game…

We’re going to get to watch most of it, I would say. I’m going to try and watch every bit that I can. We have meetings at night, but we’ll be alright, we’ll be able to watch it.

On how much coach Mangini’s credibility has increased since he started as head coach…

Everybody was saying, “He’s too young to do this, he’s too young to do that,” but from the first day he’s been here, the knowledge the guy has is unbelievable. The things that he’s been able to teach us, has helped us greatly as a team. He’s a very good coach.

On if coach Mangini raised the bar with his last win…

Any time you win big games, it helps a lot. It helps with players; it helps with coaches, especially a new coach. The sky is the limit for him, he’s a great coach, he has learned from some other great coaches. He has a lot of knowledge and a lot to each us.

New York Jets’ LB Jonathan Vilma, 11.17

On coach Mangini’s credibility…

His credibility has improved with wins. You can’t sell anything without seeing results and we’re seeing results. He told us how it was going to go, he told how it was going to be and now, everything he’s been prophesizing the whole time, has been coming true.

On the Jets’ success this season…

It really boils down to the guys. The guys on this team, my teammates really feel like we can win any game and can be in any game. Aside from one game down in Jacksonville, we’ve been in every game; it’s just a matter of cleaning up a few things here and there.

On how close the Jets’ defense is to becoming one of the top in the year once again…

We’re close. As I always say, in every interview, we just have to correct a few things here and there. It’s not like it’s the whole defense, its one or two guys on a certain play that are messing up, or we have a long bomb. Things like that really hurt the statistics. Statistically, we need to improve, but as a defense, we’re doing a lot better.

On what concerns him about Chicago’s offense…

Nothing really concerns me. We know that they’re capable of it, so it’s our job to stop it. The only thing that would concern me would be if they hit more than usual and put up 35 points against us.

School Always in Session for the Jets

Published: 11-17-06

By John Beattie

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/school-always-in-session-for-the-jets

By the looks of their weekly preparation routine, the New York Jets appear to be a few assignments away from conducting lab experiments, equating fractions and reciting Shakespeare.

The 2006 Jets are bombarded with information on their upcoming opponents on a weekly basis. Whether positional meetings or team meetings, film review or take-home DVD’s, head coach Eric Mangini keeps information coming in a constant flow and makes sure the message gets through. To evaluate their comprehension, he opts for something these players have been accustomed to doing since grade school - written reports.

“It is not a book report necessarily, but it is something that is reviewed, evaluated and critiqued,” Mangini said of his weekly assignments. “It is important because the game within the game, the guy that you're facing, if you understand the strengths and the weaknesses and those things, that's as important as, knowing what the coverage is and what your leverage is because each guy is so unique. Every position has to evaluate who they're playing against. It comes in different forms.”

Every Friday, certain players are to hand in these reports assigned to them by coaches. These reports consist of schemes, tendencies, strengths, weaknesses and details that coaches and scouts may have missed.

“It started when I was in Cleveland; that was when I first got involved,” Mangini said of the player reports. “Then coming here the first time, the defensive backs would do reports as well. It is good not just for the player doing it, but it's good for the other players to hear their thoughts. It is actually good for the coaching staff as well because there are some things that a player sees that you may have missed. The more sets of eyes that you have watching for those things, the better.”

Mangini recalls one former player picking up a tendency from an upcoming opponent, and when it surfaced in his report, it provided pivotal information for the defense.

“I remember Ty Law; I won't tell you who the receiver is because he is still in the league, but every time the guy would come up to the line of scrimmage, if it was a pass, he would re-buckle his gloves,” Mangini said of the corner’s report. “If it was a run, he wouldn't do anything. We were able to get a run‑pass key off of just that. It's some of those small things, somebody has a tell. If you can get what the tell is, it helps.”

Late in the week, players are put on the spot and assigned to run meetings either in front of a crowded classroom or the auditorium. Occasionally, Mangini sits in on these meetings and some of the teaching performances he has witnessed have opened the eyes of the 14th-year coaching veteran.

Veteran guard Pete Kendall has been so instrumental - not only in these meetings but in the development of the pair of first round offensive linemen surrounding him - that Mangini believes a coaching future might be in line for the former Boston College Eagle.

“Each Thursday we have a players’ meeting where the players run it,” Mangini said. “They do a review of the game plan and the different issues that come up. I will sit in on some of those and Pete was up on the overhead drawing a blitz and how it was going to be protected and reviewing it with everybody. So at some point it could be Pete Kendall, assistant coach.”

There are others who aren’t as gifted as Kendall when it comes to public speaking and nerves can take over.

“I think any time you have public speaking, you can get a little bit nervous,” Mangini said. “I have experienced that. You guys may have noticed the times. I think it's just part of any time you're presenting to a group and you want to do a good job.

“You know how it is,” Mangini added with a grin. “Guys are going to kid you if you mispronounce a word or somebody's name. It's good natured, but you'd rather not go through that if you can avoid it.”

Whether by reports, presentations, or tests, Mangini always keeps his players on their toes. These exercises not only provide the squad with crucial information, but they also add some more of that competitive fire that Mangini stresses.

“It is such an asset because you can't study everybody as much as you'd like to. The different places that I've been, you may bring a guy that's outstanding up to show the whole group,” he said. “’Okay, take a look at his report and listen to what he has to say.’ I think any time you're inherently competitive, it's everything. It could be their reports, the tests that they take on Saturday nights. It could be any of the different things they're asked to do.”

Mangini: I Don't Have Any Wagers Either Way

By Jets PR Department

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mangini-i-don-t-have-any-wagers-either-way

With all of the talk regarding the Michigan-Ohio State game tomorrow, head coach Eric Mangini was asked who his rival was from his playing days at Wesleyan University.

“It seemed like everybody -Trinity. There is a Little Three Championship, which I'm sure, as you cover sports, you know about the Little Three. Wesleyan, Williams, and Amherst are the Little Three. We didn't win it when I was there,” Mangini said. “I would have liked to have had the knowledge to know what that's like to win a Little Three Championship, but that one got away.”

Read below for Mangini’s complete transcript

New York Jets’ Head Coach Eric Mangini, 11.17

Opening Statement…

I have a couple items before we get going; this weekend, now in preparation for Thanksgiving, we have a nonperishable food drive. We've been doing this for fifteen years. The fans can bring the food to the gates. There will be trucks there to pickup the items. We've had up to 5,000 pounds of food collected in previous years. As with everything else, we're looking for progress. So I hope we can get some help with that. It's such an important time and there are so many people in need during this time of year.

Another item at the game this weekend is it’s our military appreciation game. All the branches of the service will be represented. It's a small token of our appreciation. We obviously can't thank the service enough for the sacrifices they make and their families make to help keep us free. I wanted to make everybody aware of that.

On B.J. Askew blocking and receiving…

I think B.J.’s most substantial contribution has been on special teams where he's been outstanding. I think that gets overlooked. He's really a difference‑maker on special teams. As a fullback, I think that he's made tremendous strides from when he first started in the system to where he is now. He gets a little bit better each week. I thought the best example of that was the catch that he made against New England this week on the crossing route where he went up and got it and fought for extra yards. So he does have the potential both as a receiver out of backfield and he's not too bad with the ball in his hands. He's improving as a blocker. Because of his athleticism, he's very good at those perimeter blocks.

On Pete Kendall…

Pete has made a tremendous difference. He is extremely knowledgeable of the scheme. He's seen so many things throughout his career. He studies not only the current breakdown but goes back quite a few games. Each Thursday we have a players’ meeting where the players run it. They do a review of the game plan and the different issues that come up. I'll sit in on some of those and Pete was up on the overhead drawing up a blitz and how it was going to be protected and reviewing it with everybody. So at some point it could be Pete Kendall, assistant coach.

On Kendall’s coaching potential…

He definitely has a depth of understanding that is on the higher level of offensive linemen.

On improvements Kevan Barlow made over the bye week…

He's been improving since he got here. What I liked during the bye week, just as you saw, is how the holes were clear to him. He was hitting the holes quicker, and he had a better feel for, not just his lead blocker, but for the offensive line. I also liked the mesh between him and the different quarterbacks. I really liked his finish on each play. The running backs finished 30 yards down the field on every run. He has improved ball security, he’s holding the ball what we call high and tight to protect it. So all those things were improving, and it looked the best that it has looked from him during that week.

On Barlow transitioning to a new team mid training camp…

I think it's tough whenever you make a transition to a new place. There are rookies who leave college as big man on campus, and they come to a places with new coaches, new surroundings, new city, new people. All those things just outside of football are added challenges. It's the same thing with a free agent. They're changing addresses and friends and they're changing the staff that they're working with, the system. So as a veteran, you have more experience to draw from, which helps. But any time you make one of those major life changes I think there are things that you have to work through.

On the personal aspect of being a football player…

I think that sometimes that gets lost. You usually read the transaction in the newspaper or you see the transaction, and it's a fullback to that team as opposed to a human being to a totally new environment.

There are so many different things that are involved. We spent a lot of time with our player development program. Jerome Henderson runs that. I think it's important to help make the transition as smooth as possible and also have an understanding that these are players but they're people. Just like any person who goes through transition, there are adjustments.

On Bryan Thomas, Dewayne Robertson and Shaun Ellis getting a clean slate this year…

I think that any time you're able to achieve the status of being a No. 1 pick you have to be intrinsically motivated. You have to have a lot of pride. It's hard to reach that level of success without those qualities. Anybody that was here when we got here did have the opportunity to reinvent themselves and to write the book on however they wanted to be evaluated. They were the authors of that story, and they still are. So I think that always helps. They're good team players and they're working towards the success of the group, and you see that as they progress here.

On Thomas, Robertson and Ellis’ strengths…

It's difficult to identify one strength for each guy, because Bryan (Thomas) has really good size for an outside linebacker, but he also has rare speed, excellent strength at the point of attack. He's making the transition to dropping more, so that's something that he's working at and all the different qualities that go with that spot.

Dewayne (Robertson), he's another guy athletically extremely gifted, combination of power and that quick first step, that burst. What I really like about Dewayne right now is the way that he's pursuing the football. The play on the goal line there against New England where it was whatever it was, 2nd and 4 and he pursued down the line and made the tackle behind the line of scrimmage. So he's got that power and that burst and that combination.

With Shaun (Ellis), it's really the same thing. Incredible athletically gifted. Shaun can enforce his will on others, and I like to see that, just like he did on the last play there where he imposed his will.

On Devin Hester’s field goal return against the Giants in Week 10…

It definitely ups the ante. Those are difficult situations because you don't have your traditional coverage team out there. You need the big guys up front to get the field goal off. But in doing that it's big guys covering. He is a very fast, talented returner. It definitely changes the equation a bit.

On preparing for the chance of a field goal return…

I'm hoping we don't have to kick the long field goal. Ideally I'd like it to go not too long. It's hard to, within a couple days, to teach a couple 300-pound guys to tackle in space against someone as elusive as he is. It's something you continually practice with coverage lanes and things like that, but some things you just can't coach.

On the field goal returned by Aaron Glenn for against the Colts in 1998 (11.15.98)…

I just remember because Kevin Spencer was the special teams coach at Indy at that point. So, you know, you love to play, and he's going to have a tough week. When you put one of those returns back there you're always excited to see what happens. A little like arena football when it bounces off the net. So that was a fun play. I was looking forward to not being on the other end of that any time soon.

On the difficulty for a rookie to learn the center position…

It's difficult for any rookie to come in and to play and to play well really at any position, because this is just such a different world and the speed is different. The talent level is different. At center where you're handling the ball every single play, identifying fronts, working with fronts, not just on one side left or right, you're in the whole mix there. Then you have shotgun snaps and things like that. It's extremely difficult to do that. Nick (Mangold) has done a nice job with it early on we had a couple of minor setbacks, but he worked through those quickly.

On the setbacks Mangold has had…

During the early camp there he had a couple fumbled snaps that he had to run some laps for, but we worked through the pain. He's been really outstanding since.

On Victor Hobson…

What I really liked about last week is Victor playing linebacker and then working in there with the combination of defensive backs and Jonathan (Vilma) and the movement and being able to rush or drop them or change assignments with Jon. Having that flexibility is a real asset. I thought he showed good instincts in terms of finding the hole as it developed within the offensive front. He has that feel. And talking to Jim Herman, that was a real strength of his in college as well.

On Linebackers coach Jim Herrmann…

I think he's done a good job. Even though he has some carryover from what he was doing before, there's quite a bit of learning. He's a smart guy and he embraced that. I just like the way that he keeps building flexibility and the things that he can do. He's been involved with a lot of our big plays this year whether it be returning a fumble for a touchdown, recovering fumbles or interceptions. So he's taken advantage of the opportunities.

On Hobson as a blitzer…

His role changes weekly in that package. So I thought when he had some of those opportunities he has done a nice job of it.

On the scouting reports the players do on opponents…

Usually they'll go through it by position. I know Bryan (Thomas) was here late last night working on it. And (Matt) Chatham being in that room, he sets a nice high bar. You've got such smart guys in that room with (Brad) Kassell and Jon (Vilma) and Eric (Barton). So it's such an asset because you can't study everybody as much as you'd like to. And the things and the nuances that they discover, to then be able to share with the rest of the players, sometimes it comes with a cutup that they make. So they'll make their own cutup to show the rest of the guys. The different places that I've been, you may bring a guy that's outstanding enough to show the whole group, Okay, take a look at his report and listen to what he has to say. This is what we're looking for.

On competition among teammates with the written reports…

I think any time you're inherently competitive it's everything. It could be their reports, the tests that they take on Saturday nights. It could be any of the different things they're asked to do.

On Robertson delivering reports…

You know, I have not seen one of Dewayne's reports, so I'll investigate it for you. But usually when I ask him questions he's been pretty good. You know, whenever I need my go‑to guy for what we have in the back of the room I'll say, "Dewayne, what is knowledge?" And he'll say, "Knowledge is power." So he's my go‑to guy for that.

On the players being nervous to present their reports in front of the team…

I think any time you have public speaking you can get a little bit nervous. I have experienced that. You guys may have noticed at times. I think it's just part of any time you're presenting to a group and you want to do a good job. You know how it is. Guys are going to kid you if you mispronounce a word or somebody's name. It's good-natured, but you'd rather not go through that if you can avoid it.

On Rex Grossman…

He's thrown a lot of really good balls, and I think he's got a lot of confidence in his arm and a lot of confidence in his receivers that his receivers will come down with the ball, which they do more often than not. They have run good routes. So when you have those things there are going to be some balls that get away from you. That happens with all good quarterbacks. You're going to take some chances that work out well, and you're going to have some that you wish you had back. There's definitely a lot more of the good plays and outstanding throws than the balls that he'd like to have back.

On the Ohio State-Michigan game this weekend…

Well, I'm a big Iowa fan and a big Notre Dame fan just because of Kirk (Ferentz) and Charlie (Weis). The guys definitely follow their college teams, and they'll check the Internet or phone or whatever; call friends. I think it's good that they're so proud of where they come from and the things that they did. In terms of who's going to win the game, I don't have any wagers either way.

On who Wesleyan’s rival is…

It seemed like everybody. Trinity. There is a Little Three Championship, which I'm sure, as you cover sports, you know about the Little Three. Wesleyan, Williams, and Amherst are the Little Three. We didn't win it when I was there.

On what Mangini gained from Wesleyan despite not winning the Little Three…

Knowledge is power. I would have liked to have had the knowledge to know what that's like to win a Little Three Championship, but that one got away.

Jets Return Home for a Showdown with the Bears

By Jets PR Department

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/jets-return-home-for-a-showdown-with-the-bears

The New York Jets (5-4) return to the Meadowlands for the first time in four weeks when they host the Chicago Bears (8-1). The contest marks the Jets second of four games versus the NFC North Division. The Jets defeated the Detroit Lions 31-24 in Week Seven to leave their record at 1-0 verses the NFC North, with road games versus the Packers and Vikings remaining.

Jets-Bears History

The New York Jets currently trail the all-time series against the Bears, 3-5. The Jets have won two of the last three games between the franchises. The last time the Bears visited the Meadowlands (to play the Jets), the Jets were again returning home after back-to-back road games. In that contest, the Jets held on to defeat the Bears 17-10. The Jets did all their scoring in the first half and built a 17-0 lead heading into the locker room when Vinny Testaverde hit current Jets’ coach Richie Anderson with a 15-yard touchdown pass with 32 seconds remaining.

Jets-Bears At a Glance

Record vs. Bears: 3-5

Record vs. Bears at home: 1-2

Last time vs. Bears at home (11/26/00): Jets 17, Bears 10

Broadcast Information

Television: This week’s game will be broadcast to a national audience by FOX and can be viewed in the Tri-State area on WFOX-5. Joe Buck will handle the play-by-play duties and will be joined by analyst Troy Aikman and sideline reporter Pam Oliver. Richie Zyontz will produce the telecast.

Read the Entire Game Release which includes Connections, Player Notes, Statistics and much, much more.

Friday Injury Report

Jets

Questionable: FB B.J. Askew (foot), CB David Barrett (hip), WR Tim Dwight (thigh) & RB Cedric Houston (knee)

Probable: *RB Kevan Barlow (calf), *LB Matt Chatham (foot), *CB Drew Coleman (thigh), *WR Laveranues Coles (calf), *CB Andre Dyson (ankle), *OL Pete Kendall (knee), *OL Nick Mangold (eye), *WR Justin McCareins (foot), *DL Rashad Moore (hand), *QB Chad Pennington (calf) & *QB Patrick Ramsey (thigh)

Bears

Doubtful: CB Dante Wesley (knee)

Questionable: *WR Bernard Berrian (ribs), *LB Leon Joe (hamstring), & *TE Gabriel Reid (wrist)

*Denotes players who practiced

Archived