No Super Sunday for Chiefs coach

Lil Bit Special

From the Topeka-Capital Journal

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/020107/chi_143670819.shtml

Herm Edwards missed 1980's famous Mean Joe Green Coca-Cola ad because he was playing in the Super Bowl. He missed the Big Brother-like Apple Computer Ad of 1984, the Jordan-Bird trick shots ad of 1993, the Clydesdale football games and the dot-com calamities because he wasn't playing.

The Chiefs coach hasn't seen a Super Bowl commercial for nearly three decades because he hasn't watched the Super Bowl for nearly three decades. "Right now I am going to watch the national anthem, I know that," he said Wednesday in Kansas City. "It's just been a tradition for me not to watch it."

Edwards insists the next Super Bowl he watches will be from the sidelines.

In an ironic twist, friend and former colleague Tony Dungy has held the same ritual during his tenure as an NFL head coach. His Colts eliminated Edwards' Chiefs in the first round of this year's playoffs and Dungy will coach in his first Super Bowl Sunday against the Bears in Miami.

"Tony feels the same way as I do about it," Edwards said. "It's kind of ironic because Tony and myself have never really watched it. Tony has been a head coach for 12 years now and this will be the first Super Bowl that he is going to participate in."

The third wheel is Bears coach Lovie Smith, who worked with Edwards and Dungy in Tampa Bay. Edwards is close with both men, but he's still more likely to tune into Prince's performance than the game itself.

"I'm not brave like Lovie," Edwards said. "He actually came to our playoff game in Indianapolis to watch two great friends go at it and he had a great seat. I have a great seat too, but my problem is that it is a big game and at the end one guy is going to be a world champion and the other guy is going to feel good for the guy who just became a world champion. I know that because we are friends. For me, that's one thing, but at the end of the day when I look at both of these guys and their teams, they are both champions already. The score to me really doesn't matter."

Edwards hasn't avoided Super Bowl week altogether. He was in Miami earlier this week to interview Smith and Dungy for a television piece.

"I gave them some softball questions," he said.

I love Herm... He wont watch a Superbowl unless he is playing or coaching... guess he doesnt want to see what good teams look like...

I'm starting to think Herm really is playing us to be the fool... one man cant be as stupid as he seems to be.

Archived