Jets’ draft room video shows Falcons wanted to make another stunning move after drafting Michael Penix

According to the live draft coverage, that Ruke Okorohorhohorhoho guy they drafted wasn't even close to the best DT on the board when they took him 🤣

Who knows, but my money would be on the Raheem era in ATL crashing and burning sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Idc what posters say. Taking penix was a smart move for the long run imo

Agreed.
If he ends up being a franchise quarterback, then it’s never a bad move.  

When you decide a guy is YOUR guy, do everything to get him. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I think Atlanta knows how bad the cousins tampering evidence is and they expect to be short picks in the future so this was their chance at a qb.  

So, if they were offering a 2025 Rd1 (and whatever else), they were likely offering the equivalent of a phony bill.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I actually really like Penix as a prospect, but I just wonder if they could have traded down and still gotten him. Was there another team primed to take him in the top 15-20? 

I guess they felt they couldn’t fool around with it and had to get their guy 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I actually really like Penix as a prospect, but I just wonder if they could have traded down and still gotten him. Was there another team primed to take him in the top 15-20? 

There were apparently teams trying to trade into the top 10 for Penix. If the Jets go to 8 and take Odunze, that leaves the Bears at 9 to go defense or trade back. If Atlanta really wanted Penix, staying put was the right decision.

Wanting to trade up further confirms the Jets wanted a WR in the first. When Joe Douglas drafts a player they wanted to trade up for and couldn't, he says it. Jermaine Johnson, Breece Hall, Corley are examples. He makes it known that they tried to trade for them. He didn't say that about Fashanu.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

There were apparently teams trying to trade into the top 10 for Penix. If the Jets go to 8 and take Odunze, that leaves the Bears at 9 to go defense or trade back. If they really wanted Penix, staying put was the right decision.

Wanting to trade up further confirms the Jets wanted a WR in the first. When Joe Douglas drafts a player they trade and couldn't trade up for, he says it. Jermaine Johnson, Breece Hall, Corley are example. He makes it known that they tried to trade for them. He didn't say that about Fashanu.

Oh yea, the jets wanted Odunze 

• Upvote 4

I think Atlanta might have made a good move.  At the very least they’re not afraid to let their shiny new qb sit for a couple of seasons.  Cousins may be upset at the moment but he’s also getting pretty old and theirs a good chance he doesn’t make it past two more seasons.  By then, penix should be ready to step right in.  Kind of what the jets were trying with Zach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Might be the worst draft day decision I've ever seen.  Dude is gonna' be almost 30 years old when he finally get to start.  And Atlanta might have a 1-year sample size before having to decide on his fifth-year option.

• Upvote 3
  • Ugh 1

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Dude is gonna' be almost 30 years old when he finally get to start.  

This is an exaggeration. Penix will be 24 at the start of next season.

Cousins will likely be the QB there this year (2024) and next year (2025), based on his contract (although, if it went really badly this year and they were willing to eat a 40M cap hit, they could move on from him after one year).

So, assuming 2 years of Cousins, Penix will be 26 when he gets the keys to the franchise. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The fans wanted Broderick jones, but the word is that the Jets wanted Jahmyr Gibbs 

I heard that but i still don’t believe it.  This draft is growing on me though.  The jets really added some nice players

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Pretty sure I heard Denver wanted him as well.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Second year in a row, our guy goes 1 pick in front of us

Our genius of a HC ran Breece Hall into the ground (37 carries, by far his most) the final week of the season so we could "enjoy this win all offseason!"  He also ran Breece 20 times in a meaningless against the Commies, which was his 3rd most carries of the year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I wonder what they were offering.

Who even cares?

Drop from the Top 10 to completely out of Round 1 when you’re as “all in” as all in can possibly get?

F*ck that silliness seven ways to sundown

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I believe it was pick 43, 74 and next years first. 

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Fans would have lost their minds. But I would have done this.

That would've been a tempting offer.  I love the idea of acquiring future #1's and then constantly trading back with one of them to acquire more picks.  Not sure why no teams ever try this, btw.

But the Jets were in a desperate position this year so it wasn't feasible.