faba

Texans receiving some inquiries about Carr

GM Smith won't say who has eye on veteran QB

By JOHN McCLAIN

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

When general m

RESOURCES

[

anager Rick Smith disclosed Tuesday that teams have inquired about the availability of David Carr, he was quick to point out that Carr is still the Texans' starting quarterback.

While refusing to disclose which teams have called and what was discussed, Smith made it clear that Carr, like just about every Texans player, is available if the GM and coach Gary Kubiak believe it will improve the franchise.

"I want to keep any discussions I have with other general managers confidential," Smith said. "But my goal is to improve our team in any way possible.

"I want to repeat what we said after the season: that David's our starting quarterback. But we're trying to improve the team, and I've fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

"If I believe improving our team involves a player on our team, a player on another team, a free agent or a draft choice, then I'll absolutely entertain (doing) it."

There has been speculation about a possible Carr trade since the second half of last season. In his five years, the Texans are 23-53 in games in which Carr has played.

If the Texans trade or release Carr, who is scheduled to make $5.5 million this year and $6 million next year, the salary cap hit would be only $2 million.

The Texans paid Carr $8 million last March to extend his contract for three years. His base salary in 2006 was $5.25 million.

The Texans made the decision to extend Carr for three years early enough to prorate the $8 million bonus over four years rather than three — $2 million per year for cap purposes.

Under a new rule, teams can designate two players as June 1 casualties without waiting until June 1 to trade or waive them. If Carr is designated as a June 1 player, he'll cost $2 million this year and $2 million in 2008 against the cap.

In all likelihood, any team interested in trading for Carr would want to negotiate a more cap-friendly deal. In other words, it would ask agent Mike Sullivan for a longer deal with a signing bonus and smaller base salaries.

Minnesota and Oakland are two teams in need of a quarterback. Other teams that might be interested in trading for or signing a veteran quarterback could be Miami, Cleveland, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Chicago and Carolina.

Is there a market for Carr? The top free agents, Jeff Garcia and Damon Huard, turn 37 and 34 before the season begins. Carr turns 28 in July.

After projected first-round draftees JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, there is a dropoff in quarterback prospects from the college ranks.

Although the Texans have never admitted it, if they trade Carr, they'll have to acquire another veteran to compete with Sage Rosenfels for the starting job. They also are expected to draft a quarterback who fits Kubiak's system and give him time to develop.

The most likely candidate to replace Carr is Denver's Jake Plummer, who was replaced by rookie Jay Cutler after 11 games last season.

Plummer, who turns 33 this year, had the three best seasons of his career when Kubiak was the Broncos' offensive coordinator. Plummer had a 32-11 record as a starter when he played for Kubiak.

Free agency begins March 1. The Texans are expected to have $10 million to $13 million available under the cap.

john.mcclain@chron.com

They like Sage Rosenfels or like stated could bring in Jake Plummer.

Plummer is a short-term answer at best. This organization really screwed themselves last year keeping Carr when they could have saved about $6 mil of cap space by cutting him and drafting a QB like, oh say the guy the entire state of Texas was going gaga over at the time, Vince Young.

Now it looks like they probably won't even get a first round pick for David Carrbage.

Archived