Pats About to Win Adalius Thomas Sweepstakes

JetNation

Trying to keep pace with our mad blogger - Vacchiano - I’m serving up a few random thoughts on free agency to start Day 2:

• Day 1 was a rough one for impatient Jets fans. The Jets sat on their hands while the hated Patriots went out and landed Ravens LB Adalius Thomas. Well, it’s not a done deal yet, but it should be finalized by the end of the day, barring any glitches. He would’ve been perfect in Eric Mangini’s defense, just like he’ll be perfect in Bill Belichick’s defense - the same defensive scheme.
  • RB Travis Henry probably will be released today by the Titans, but I’d be a little surprised if the Jets jumped into the fray. Henry has some personal baggage, and the Tangini Jets usually try to stay away from those players. In 2005, Henry was suspended four games for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. In 2001, his rookie year in Buffalo, he pleaded guilty for misdemeanor sexual misconduct, having consensual sex with a 15-year-old girl. He’s definitely the best running back out there, but the baggage factor might spook the Jets.
  • As far as running backs, it looks like the Jets are showing genuine interest in T.J. Duckett (Redskins) and Chris Brown (Titans). Yawn. Come on, Mr. T, you can do better than that. Corey Dillon? He’d be a decent stop-gap for a year. They could go with Dillon and Leon Washington for a year, adding a developmental back in the second or third round.
  • Looks like the Redskins have signed MLB London Fletcher (Bills), which should put to rest all those Jonathan Vilma-to-Washington rumors.
  • The Bills are idiots. How can you give $18 million in guarantees to a guard? I don’t care if Derrick Dockery (Redskins) is the next Jerry Kramer; you don’t give that much to a guard. What if he turns into Cosmo Kramer? Then you have real problems. Clearly, the Bills wanted to make a splash on a day in which they lose CB Nate Clements and Fletcher. The same criticism goes to the Browns, who gave G Eric Steinbach $17 million in guarantees.
    Buffalo and Cleveland: Dumb and dumber.
  • Jerricho Cotchery’s five-year extension with the Jets includes de-escalators. That means, if he doesn’t meet specific performance and playing-time standards, his salary drops to a pre-determined amount. In other words, the Jets protected themselves in the event that Cotchery turns into a one-year wonder. I don’t think that will be the case, but it’s always good to have the protection.

No surprise that former Jets and Jaguars TE Kyle Brady has signed with the Patriots. In 1995, Bill Belichick, coaching the Browns, was set to draft Brady with the 10th pick. He was stunned when the Kotite-led Jets chose Brady at No. 9. (So were a lot of Jets fans.) Belichick, who reportedly already had measured Brady for a Browns helmet, was so taken aback that he traded down 20 spots.

Now the Patriots really do have a "Brady Bunch" - Tom and Kyle. No relation.

More...

Archived