State of the jets

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas has put on a master class.  This is one of the most talented rosters in all of football.

Enjoy the 13 win season that is coming up fellas. 

So wait we'll sneak into the playoffs at 9-8, then win each playoff game and the SB to get to 13-8, right?

Right???

Bad coaching counter balances good talent. 

Im interested to see how offensive coordinator/qb Rodger’s does this year. The Jets are the champions of hype, but we alll know how things play out once the season starts. 

I am 50/50 on our coaching. Historically teams don’t win even with good coaches if you have subpar qb play. I like our head coach but do not like our oc or ol coach.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BP said:

Bad coaching counter balances good talent. 

Im interested to see how offensive coordinator/qb Rodger’s does this year. The Jets are the champions of hype, but we alll know how things play out once the season starts. 

Good qb play can make a coach look a lot better. We don’t need Rodgers to be an all-pro. We just need him to be a functional piece of the offense. I think of guys like belicheck and Sean Payton after Brady and Bree’s retired, both went from looking like top tier coaches to looking like everyone else. Not saying they are bad either, they just couldn’t be at their best because their offenses fell apart. Let’s see what Saleh has with a hopefully competent qb.

• Upvote 2

QB is only as good as the 41 year old QB getting back to pro bowl level.   Just fairly good is not enough for what we have committed to get him.

Backup QB is much better but Taylor has a history of immediately getting hurt if he has to play any number of games.

RBS, much improved, way better depth, drafting two guys though is an indictment on abanikanda.  Should have drafted only one RB though.

TEs same as before, the teams needs to play ruckert more and give kuntz a bit more time, we are solid though unspectacular at TE

Oline vastly improved but we should be pretty good baring injuries.   Very disappointed we did not draft a guard in the draft.  Guard is still thin.

WRs better but very very disappointed they did not draft another WR in a super deep Wr draft.  I feel there were guys in the mid to late rounds who will end up being far better than guys like gipson, brownlee and lazard.  Had to double dip.

Dline should be good, we added a bunch of FA, should have drafted someone though.

Pass rushers should be good

Corners are good and deep enough

Safety is still very meh and quite thin imo.  People seem to think we are good here, I am not so sure.

Overall the team is as good or better than it has been, Douglas still botched the 2nd half of the draft imo.

This team will go as far as Rodgers takes them.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

They’re wisely going to try and replicate the Derrick Henry Titans with Rodgers in the Ryan Tannehill role, but that’s going to require Rodgers letting that happen on his watch. They’re built to maul on offense and play defense, which has some obvious upside. That said, it’s probably too ambitious to think you can staple an offense like this together and make a run over the course of one season. If things go perfectly, they could muddle their way to a playoff run. Most likely outcome is a 9-8, 10-7 record with Saleh and Rodgers walking away at the end. Question is if Woody has the guts to whack Douglas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas has put on a master class.  This is one of the most talented rosters in all of football.

Vegas has our O/U for wins next year at 9 1/2.

41 minutes ago, ppls17 said:

Wr- one of best duos in league -Garrett and Williams. I love our 3rd round pick. Lazard as a 4th and Gibson/brown Lee as depth is just fine.

I think the Rook will be a nightmare for defenses with Wilson and Williams commanding attention.  I highly doubt Lazard will be on the roster.  They offered him up, and I don't believe he will make the 53.  

41 minutes ago, ppls17 said:

TE- above average group. I’m probably higher on this group than most but conk and ruck I think are more than capable.

I can see Ruckert becoming the go to TE, however, Conklin with Rodgers should be greatly improved to a solid year last year.

42 minutes ago, ppls17 said:

Rb- one of best in league with hall. Unsure about Izzy but between the 3 backups I expect one of them to become a solid backup

Love that we added a banger.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Yeah we'd much rather bitch and moan.  IMHO JD's the man.  Go Jets!  

Neither bitching nor moaning. 

The word you're looking for is "mocking".  

Because so many of you do this every offseason, like clockwork. It's hard to take most of you seriously tbqh.

We're always "the best" this time every year.

And every year you folks turn our disastrously wrong in your predictions of success.

So forgive me (or not), if I'm just not buying the plane tickets to the Super Bowl just yet, or declaring us clearly better than the Chief right now, lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re wisely going to try and replicate the Derrick Henry Titans with Rodgers in the Ryan Tannehill role, but that’s going to require Rodgers letting that happen on his watch. They’re built to maul on offense and play defense, which has some obvious upside. That said, it’s probably too ambitious to think you can staple an offense like this together and make a run over the course of one season. If things go perfectly, they could muddle their way to a playoff run. Most likely outcome is a 9-8, 10-7 record with Saleh and Rodgers walking away at the end. Question is if Woody has the guts to whack Douglas. 

Hes kind of been doing that for his whole career hasn’t he? Hes never had outrageous passing yardage. 4500+ once, around 4k-4200ish every other year. That averages out to around 250 yards a game. In his prime years, Hes been in mostly balanced offenses, he’s always just been the guy that finishes the drives and gets the gaudy TD numbers. I don’t think him driving a run heavy offense where he’s finishing the drives with some TD passes will be an issue for him at all.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Hes kind of been doing that for his whole career hasn’t he? Hes never had outrageous passing yardage. 4500+ once, around 4k-4200ish every other year. That averages out to around 250 yards a game. In his prime years, Hes been in mostly balanced offenses, he’s always just been the guy that finishes the drives and gets the gaudy TD numbers. I don’t think him driving a run heavy offense where he’s finishing the drives with some TD passes will be an issue for him at all.

In 2020 and 21, when he won the MVPs, he was blowing off LaFleur to do what he wanted and it was awesome, then they had the little power struggle prior to the 22 season where Rodgers threatened to retire and Mark Murphy had to step in and Rodger responded by playing mediocre ball. Here, he controls the offense and it remains to be seen if he’s willing to run a balanced scheme or if he wants to show the world he’s the GOAT passer. Worth noting he’s at 475 career TD passes and you know he’s going to go hard after 500 this season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This schedule though, it is going to provide more wins than you listed. If Rodgers is healthy this is a 12 win team. Big if I know.

Rodgers ego is immense but if they win he gets the credit. That will feed things for him no matter what the passing #s say.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t You mean the Wrecks ground and pound during his legendary run of back to back afc championship losses? 

If everything goes right the Jets have a chance at 12-13 wins. Rodgers has to bounce back with a 80-90 percent year of his past abilities and stay healthy. The OL has to stay healthy as well as the top 2 WR, Wilson and Williams. Breece Hall has to have a big year and the defense needs to match last years production.

That is a lot of ifs but possible. The more likely outcome is some injuries and a 9-11 win season hoping that they are healthy for a playoff run.

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Welcome back Baba!

Screenshot_20230615_124847_NYPost.thumb.jpg.46a2ce3db3a9fe7f8d94d1c58ffe9ba4.jpg

State of the jets:

Personnel: on paper as good as any team the jets have ever put on the field.

Front Office: After a terrible offseason in 2023, JD has done a great in 2024. I’ve had issues with some of his past decisions, but he does seem to learn from his mistakes. For example, he didn’t draft a big mauling OT highest ceiling OT round 1. Instead he took the surest bet who has done the best on the field (the triston wirfs lesson). And he took a large school, longtime starter developmental QB who has a shot at being a decent starting QB and a better shot at being a ling term #2. The bottom line is that despite past mistakes, JD looks like he gets it. We paid the price for his on the job learning. Hopefully now we can reap the benefits of his lessons.

Coaching -  D coaches snd ST coaches are quality. The offensive staff especially OC and O line coach are garbage, and a case could be made that along with the QB coach, those are 3 of the most important position coaches. I suspect that JD will listen if Tyron Smith has complaints about his position coach. Hopefully AR8 will overcome Havkett’s limitations as a play caller. HC? What can I say? Other than pithy slogans, he has yet to show he has the tools to succeed as a HC. Unless he spent the offseason doing a deep dive on the offensive side of the football and game management theory, any success the 2024 Jets have will be despite him, not because of him.

As the great Meatloaf once proclaimed, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

******* loaded roster with unfinished business and an easy schedule 

home playoff game 

even though they drafted a RB in the 5th round, which apparently shook a bunch of vaginas lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, ppls17 said:

Draft is over… just minor changes before season starts. My take on this team.

This is the most complete and talented team I’ve seen since I started watching football as a kid. Even watching the draft I was often thinking we are just drafting for depth at this point.

Qb - one of best in league Rodgers but we also have a nice veteran backup and now a rookie to learn.

Rb- one of best in league with hall. Unsure about Izzy but between the 3 backups I expect one of them to become a solid backup

Wr- one of best duos in league -Garrett and Williams. I love our 3rd round pick. Lazard as a 4th and Gibson/brown Lee as depth is just fine.

TE- above average group. I’m probably higher on this group than most but conk and ruck I think are more than capable.

Ol- our biggest weakness last year, so people are skeptics but I think it is now a strength. Great tackles two solid guards and strong young center. For depth we added in draft with future star. We also have former starters (albeit not great) coming off bench which is better than most teams can say.

Dl- may be the best collection of talent in the league. Inside , outside pressure and depth. Losing jfm is a small hit but don’t think it will hurt this group.

Lbs- probably our weakest group but still better than league average. Mosley is overrated a bit but Williams underrated. Not a lot of depth here.

Cb - best group in league

Safety - three players I think fit our scheme well. I expect a lot from this group.

I like we came out of draft filling last few depth holes and acquired a pick next year. Also freed up some cap room in case there is a possible trade partner out there.

I get people think same ol jets and rip gm but look at this roster. I also get injury concerns but we have safeguards in most positions for that.

Finally I see a plan and progress that hasn’t led to winning but I think does start translating this year.

First changed defense from horrible to good but no depth to deep and top notch. Offense set back by Zach and ol not being good but we got qb had enough to be good now I think we have pieces to be good and deep and maybe a piece away from being great ( a deebo trade or similar)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

QB: I think AR8 has a big year.  Tyrod is an excellent backup

RB: Breece is great.  Not sure what we have behind him though.  I assume the CS is down on Izzy because we drafted 2 RBs.  Allen seems like a short yardage back, which serves a purpose.  Not sure what we've got in the other guy (Isaiah Davis?)   I think overall we're probably thinner than we should be at this position.

WR: GW is great.  Hopefully MW is healthy.  If he is, that's a strong duo.  Corley seems like he'll be productive if used correctly.  Not sure we can count on the rest for much.  This group is top heavy and definitely has question marks.

TE: Conklin is fine.  Ruckert is a very good blocker but I'd like to see him do something in the passing game.  This group is kind of average.

OL: I feel much better about this group going into this year, though there are major health concerns.  Hopefully Tyron, AVT and Moses are healthy and stay healthy.   Love that we have Olu in the wings.  I think our OL will be much better this year.

DL: Upper echelon.

LB: Mosley is overrated but Quincy is very good.  Probably we're fine with this group.

CB: Excellent

S: Maybe they'll be okay but I think, as fans, we're probably overrating them.  

• Sympathy 1