Mo Deal Close?

Maxman

Mike is right. The players would pick it because of the money, they do make more as a starter.

Simply put though if a guy can do both you would have him start because he would pitch more innings that way.

Unless as in Boston's case you don't have a closer. Papelbon also wanted to close when his team needed one ala Smoltz and Eckersley.....two pretty fair starters who switched to closer.

Saying Papelbon can't handle the SP role as Mike did has nothing to base that opinion on except for some made up statement that he saw him tire in spring training where all pitchers go 3-4 innings early on.

Unless as in Boston's case you don't have a closer. Papelbon also wanted to close when his team needed one ala Smoltz and Eckersley.....two pretty fair starters who switched to closer.

Saying Papelbon can't handle the SP role as Mike did has nothing to base that opinion on except for some made up statement that he saw him tire in spring training where all pitchers go 3-4 innings early on.

Dave Righetti.

• 4 months later...
By the close of spring training, Joba will be the setup guys once again. I don't give a care about what the Yankees FO is saying, that's where he is going to end up - much like Pimple-ass in Boston. He was a starter for a winter, too if you remember. In this day and age shortening a game to 7 innings 3 or 4 times in 5 games is much more important than running a guy out there every 5 days. Plus, the guy (minus the bug game) has proven he has the right makeup to be a closer - why not run with it?

Mark it down - Joba is the Rivera in the Wetteland-Rivera combination from 96.

Nah. Sorry man. You are off on this one. The kid has 4 pitches. They really think he can be a # 1 starter. They are going to maximize what he can do and put him in the rotation.

Unless Mo isn't back, then that changes things.

POTW for Beans for being spot on,,,in NOVEMBER!!!!!! No one, and I mean no one, knows the Yanks, or understands the Yanks more than Beans....He proves it over and over....

Yankees opt to have Joba come out of bullpen for now

Associated Press

Updated: March 20, 2008, 12:31 AM ET

TAMPA, Fla. -- Joba Chamberlain will begin the season in the New York Yankees' bullpen.

"We think that's where he fits best right now," manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday.

For much of spring training, Chamberlain was a contender for a spot in the starting rotation. He was a starter in college and the minors before New York switched him to a relief role last year and called him up in August to boost its shaky bullpen.

When asked if Chamberlain would go back to the setup role he thrived in as a rookie last season, Girardi refused to be specific. But he did say Chamberlain would pitch late in games.

"He's a back-end guy. That's how I'm going to classify him," Girardi said.

The 22-year-old right-hander had prepared as a starter this spring, but wasn't surprised by the decision.

"I had an idea if everybody stayed healthy this would happen," he said. "It's best for the team right now. It's about winning games. It's not about Joba Chamberlain."

The Yankees' projected rotation includes Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy.

POTW for Beans for being spot on,,,in NOVEMBER!!!!!! No one, and I mean no one, knows the Yanks, or understands the Yanks more than Beans....He proves it over and over....

Yankees opt to have Joba come out of bullpen for now

Associated Press

Updated: March 20, 2008, 12:31 AM ET

TAMPA, Fla. -- Joba Chamberlain will begin the season in the New York Yankees' bullpen.

"We think that's where he fits best right now," manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday.

For much of spring training, Chamberlain was a contender for a spot in the starting rotation. He was a starter in college and the minors before New York switched him to a relief role last year and called him up in August to boost its shaky bullpen.

When asked if Chamberlain would go back to the setup role he thrived in as a rookie last season, Girardi refused to be specific. But he did say Chamberlain would pitch late in games.

"He's a back-end guy. That's how I'm going to classify him," Girardi said.

The 22-year-old right-hander had prepared as a starter this spring, but wasn't surprised by the decision.

"I had an idea if everybody stayed healthy this would happen," he said. "It's best for the team right now. It's about winning games. It's not about Joba Chamberlain."

The Yankees' projected rotation includes Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy.

beans da man

Archived