NY JETS News Articles 11/ 24

Kentucky Jet

BIG STEP BACK- NY POST

JETS SEEMED RESIGNED TO ROUT BY 'BOYS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

DOWN AND OUT: Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens sits on the turf at Texas Stadium after being sacked by the Cowboys during Dallas' 34-3 victory on Thursday.November 24, 2007 -- The most disappointing aspect to the Jets' 34-3 loss to the Cowboys on Thursday was how dramatically Eric Mangini's team backtracked after orchestrating such a solid victory over the Steelers five days before.

The Jets had a chance to make something out of the second half of their disappointing season with at least a competitive performance against the heavily-favored Cowboys.

Instead of building on the victory over Pittsburgh, though, the Jets went back to the way they played during their six-game losing streak. During the skid, they got inconsistent quarterback play and poor offensive line play, failed to get anything going in the running game, and failed to stop the run - to name a few issues.

What now for the 2-9 Jets? Well, they'd better beat the 0-10 Dolphins in their next game, Dec. 2 in Miami, because that might be their only good chance to win another game this season. The other teams left on the Jets' schedule are the Browns, Patriots, Titans and Chiefs. All four of those teams currently are in the thick of the playoff chase.

It would be a bit ironic if, when Herman Edwards' Chiefs come to Giants Stadium on Dec. 30 for the season finale, the former Jets coach leads Kansas City to a win that would leave his old team with a 3-13 record - one game worse than the 4-12 season Edwards had in 2005 before he left for Kansas City in a controversial exit amid a rift with owner Woody Johnson. Jets fans will recall that the 2005 season was one riddled with major injuries, something the club has had little of this season, which makes the 2-9 mark even more damning.

The Jets had been competitive in every game they played this season before Thursday. In spite of their poor record and early exit from playoff contention, they were able to hang their helmets on the fact they had lost five games by seven points or newer.

On Thursday at Texas Stadium, though, the Jets were never in the game. Their defense yielded a touchdown on the Cowboys' first possession, and Leon Washington's fumble of the ensuing kickoff proved an ominous sign of things to come.

The Jets, picking off Tony Romo on the first play after Washington's fumble, averted being blown out early. But you never had the feeling the Jets were going to get out of Dallas with a win. They always seemed to be hanging on for dear life.

There was a distinct vibe of resignation from the players in the locker room after the loss, a feeling that they knew deep down they were going to lose this game. It showed on the field, and it left Mangini disgusted and his players somewhat numb.

"What's disappointing is knowing that you have to play a certain type of football, a certain type of way and . . . you have turnovers on special teams, you have turnovers that result in points, you can't produce on third down to sustain a drive, can't stop the run effectively and consistently," Mangini said. "There are certain things you have to achieve in all three phases of the game and we didn't come close in any phase."

Mangini had warned his team what could happen.

"Coach talked about it before the game - we had to play a complete game," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We didn't do that. When you play a good team and you play out of character this (a blowout) is going to happen."

Now the Jets have to regroup.

"We scored three points, we gave up an interception return for a touchdown. We didn't make much of a statement at all," tight end Chris Baker said. "We have to move on."

Yes they do, but where to?

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

BIG STEP BACK- NY POST

JETS SEEMED RESIGNED TO ROUT BY 'BOYS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

DOWN AND OUT: Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens sits on the turf at Texas Stadium after being sacked by the Cowboys during Dallas' 34-3 victory on Thursday.November 24, 2007 -- The most disappointing aspect to the Jets' 34-3 loss to the Cowboys on Thursday was how dramatically Eric Mangini's team backtracked after orchestrating such a solid victory over the Steelers five days before.

The Jets had a chance to make something out of the second half of their disappointing season with at least a competitive performance against the heavily-favored Cowboys.

Instead of building on the victory over Pittsburgh, though, the Jets went back to the way they played during their six-game losing streak. During the skid, they got inconsistent quarterback play and poor offensive line play, failed to get anything going in the running game, and failed to stop the run - to name a few issues.

What now for the 2-9 Jets? Well, they'd better beat the 0-10 Dolphins in their next game, Dec. 2 in Miami, because that might be their only good chance to win another game this season. The other teams left on the Jets' schedule are the Browns, Patriots, Titans and Chiefs. All four of those teams currently are in the thick of the playoff chase.

It would be a bit ironic if, when Herman Edwards' Chiefs come to Giants Stadium on Dec. 30 for the season finale, the former Jets coach leads Kansas City to a win that would leave his old team with a 3-13 record - one game worse than the 4-12 season Edwards had in 2005 before he left for Kansas City in a controversial exit amid a rift with owner Woody Johnson. Jets fans will recall that the 2005 season was one riddled with major injuries, something the club has had little of this season, which makes the 2-9 mark even more damning.

The Jets had been competitive in every game they played this season before Thursday. In spite of their poor record and early exit from playoff contention, they were able to hang their helmets on the fact they had lost five games by seven points or newer.

On Thursday at Texas Stadium, though, the Jets were never in the game. Their defense yielded a touchdown on the Cowboys' first possession, and Leon Washington's fumble of the ensuing kickoff proved an ominous sign of things to come.

The Jets, picking off Tony Romo on the first play after Washington's fumble, averted being blown out early. But you never had the feeling the Jets were going to get out of Dallas with a win. They always seemed to be hanging on for dear life.

There was a distinct vibe of resignation from the players in the locker room after the loss, a feeling that they knew deep down they were going to lose this game. It showed on the field, and it left Mangini disgusted and his players somewhat numb.

"What's disappointing is knowing that you have to play a certain type of football, a certain type of way and . . . you have turnovers on special teams, you have turnovers that result in points, you can't produce on third down to sustain a drive, can't stop the run effectively and consistently," Mangini said. "There are certain things you have to achieve in all three phases of the game and we didn't come close in any phase."

Mangini had warned his team what could happen.

"Coach talked about it before the game - we had to play a complete game," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We didn't do that. When you play a good team and you play out of character this (a blowout) is going to happen."

Now the Jets have to regroup.

"We scored three points, we gave up an interception return for a touchdown. We didn't make much of a statement at all," tight end Chris Baker said. "We have to move on."

Yes they do, but where to?

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

That slob has no cred. The Post should fire his ignorant butt.

NO GOOD ANSWERS

By: MARK CANNIZZARO

November 24, 2007 -- QUARTERBACKS: F

Kellen Clemens (12-27, 142 yards, one INT, 45.6 rating) struggled throughout. Al though he was pressured, his accuracy was off. Dallas' pick for a TD put the game away.

RUNNING BACKS: F

Thomas Jones (17-40 rushing, 2-17 re ceiving) ran hard, but there were no holes. Neither he nor Leon Washington (2-14, 1-5) was able to generate anything all game.

RECEIVERS:F

Justin McCareins (2-29) had a key drop. Jerricho Cotchery (2-43) and Brad Smith (2-12) couldn't break free.

TIGHT ENDS: C

Chris Baker (3-36) had one drop, but was the Jets' best offensive player, making a couple of acrobatic, one- handed catches.

OFFENSIVE LINE: F

Clemens was sacked three times, but ha rassed all game. The running game was non-existent, managing a 2.9 yard average. The Dallas front seven overwhelmed the Jets.

DEFENSIVE LINE: D

DT Dewayne Robertson and DT C.J. Mosley each sacked Tony Romo, and DE Shaun Ellis got some pressure. DE Kenyon Coleman (seven tackles) made some solid plays, particularly early, but was blown off the ball on Mar ion Barber's TD run.

LINEBACKERS: D

Quiet game from David Harris (six tack les). Eric Barton had a sack and five tack les, and Matt Chatham had five tackles, but was part of the miscommunication on Romo's TD pass to TE Jason Witten.

SECONDARY: C

S Kerry Rhodes had an INT for the sec ond consecutive game. CB Darrelle Revis gave up a late TD reception to Terrell Owens, but limited T.O. to six catches for 65 yards with some physical play at the line. Former Cow boys S Abram Elam led the Jets with seven tackles.

SPECIAL TEAMS: D

Washington fumbled away a kickoff return and averaged 24.3 yards on four returns, but only four yards on two punt returns. Harris nullified a long kickoff return with a holding penalty that cost the Jets 30 yards in field position.

KICKING GAME: C

K Mike Nugent kicked a 40-yard FG. P Ben Graham struggled early, but finished with a 46.1 yard gross average and a 37.9 net.

COACHING: D

Eric Mangini, who pushed so many of the right buttons in Sunday's win, had few an swers Thursday. Whatever defense Bob Sutton called on Romo's TD to Witten appeared to be the wrong one.

With Brian Schottenheimer making calls, Jets' offense struggles

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, November 24th 2007, 4:00 AM

Weissman for News

Brian Schottenheimer's offense has lacked punch and big-play ability this season.

It was only one play in a season of 668 plays, but it said so much about the state of the Jets' offense. It was predictable, poorly executed and ended in disaster.

Sensing that Kellen Clemens was going to look for Jerricho Cotchery on a third-and-6 near midfield in the second quarter of Thursday's game in Dallas, Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman called out to teammates, basically telling them he was planning to bait the young quarterback into a mistake. At least one Jet, reserve corner Drew Coleman, heard Newman from the sideline.

"Before that play, (Newman) was saying, 'I'm going to jump the route,'" said Cotchery, relating what Coleman told him later.

Sure enough, Newman stepped in front of the four-yard hitch, made the interception and returned it 50 yards for a touchdown in the Jets' 34-3 loss.

It keeps getting worse for the Jets' offense, which seems lost under second-year coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Hailed last season as a clever play-caller and a head coach-in-waiting, Schottenheimer has slipped into the fog that has enveloped the entire team.

In 11 games, the Jets have managed just 14 offensive touchdowns, only two in Clemens' three-game stint as Chad Pennington's replacement.

Obviously, Schottenheimer has been handcuffed by Clemens' inexperience and recent injuries to wide receiver Laveranues Coles, who has missed two of the last three games. But the rest of the lineup has been intact since Week 1, raising questions about the talent level and Schottenheimer.

It also proves the first eight games weren't all Pennington's fault.

When it was suggested to Eric Mangini that Pennington was unfairly singled out for widespread problems, the coach said, "I don't think at any point I've said it was Chad Pennington. ...We've made a lot of changes at a lot of different points, and I don't think the (quarterback) change was necessarily an indictment of any one person. You're always trying to find the best combination of people. ... That's something we will continue to do."

Even though Pennington gives the Jets (2-9) their best chance to win, Mangini is almost obligated to stick with Clemens. The Jets have only five more games to determine if Clemens is good enough to be their starter in 2008. If not, they will have to return to Pennington or stage a Pennington-Clemens competition next training camp or start over by drafting a quarterback. Barring a late-season turnaround, they could have a top-five pick.

The problems go beyond one position. Mind you, the Jets haven't generated more than 347 total yards in a game. That is the average for 11 teams. It's almost unfathomable that Thomas Jones has yet to score a touchdown in 207 rushing attempts.

Against the Cowboys, the Jets were far too conservative and predictable. Instead of trying to attack a vulnerable secondary, Schottenheimer called runs on 13 of 18 first-down plays. Those runs produced only 32 yards, putting Clemens and the line in obvious passing situations.

"For only having two days, they prepared pretty well, schematically," Clemens said of the Cowboys. "They brought some pressure and they played real well behind it. They were very well-prepared."

Which is a kind way of saying the Jets weren't.

NY Daily News

Revis proves his worth

Saturday, November 24, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

IRVING, Texas -- On a conference call two days before the game, outspoken Dallas wideout Terrell Owens claimed not to know of Darrelle Revis.

He's a lot more familiar with Revis' work now as the Jets' rookie cornerback continued to make a name for himself Thursday.

"I don't know who that is," Owens said Tuesday when asked about Revis, the Jets' first-round draft choice. "Once I step on the field, it doesn't matter who's out there.

"That's not a slight on him or whoever he is."

That was before Revis limited Owens to six receptions for 65 yards on Thanksgiving. Owens finally caught a 22-yard touchdown pass with 6:12 left, but even then, it wasn't as if Revis had been toasted. He was just a step behind T.O. and it took a perfect throw by Tony Romo and a nifty catch by Owens to make the touchdown happen.

Until then, Revis had shown Owens who he is, and the two did speak after the game.

Revis felt it was "a little bit disrespectful" of Owens to act as if he had no knowledge of him.

GREEN MACHINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football writer J.P. Pelzman tackles all the behind-the-scenes stories about your New York Jets

Visit the blog

"Maybe ask T.O. if he knows who I am now," said Revis in his typical low-key manner. "He probably doesn't. I'm a rookie. I tried to cover him the best I could, and overall I think I did a good job."

Coach Eric Mangini agreed.

"I thought Darrelle actually did a good job," Mangini said after the game. Mangini and the Jets' players weren't available for comment Friday.

Mangini added that Revis "was with Terrell most of the day and I thought he did a good job with what we were asking him to do."

About the only glitch for Revis was a first-quarter pass breakup that could've been much more.

With Dallas facing third-and-3 at its 19, Revis was covering Owens and turned around just in time to have Romo's pass hit him in the chest. He tried to get his arms up in time, but wasn't able to and the ball fell to the ground for a harmless incompletion rather than a potentially momentum-changing interception.

"The ball just came late," he said of the play. "I looked up [and] the ball was right there. I tried to do anything I could to put a hand on it. ... The ball was just about hitting me [when I saw it]. It bounced off my chest. But you have to make the play. It would've put the offense in a better position."

Still, while the Jets as a group didn't show too much Thursday, Revis again demonstrated why the Jets traded up 11 spots to select him.

"It's just competition," he said of Owens' pregame words. "I don't even know exactly what he said. I don't try to feed him [with more words]. I just go out and play."

And afterward, they did chat coming off the field.

"I introduced myself," said Revis, who obviously did that during the game with his play. "We had a real good conversation."

And in Owens' postgame news conference, he was asked if he now knew who Revis is. Owens called him a "great corner."

Typical Owens hyperbole? Maybe. But Revis is getting to that level very quickly.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Running game: D

The progress made against the Steelers seems like a distant memory as Thomas Jones had but 40 yards on 17 carries. Holes were nearly nonexistent as the Jets' offensive line was beaten at the point of attack, and Jones' trademark cutbacks were pursued quite well by Dallas.

Passing game: D

Kellen Clemens was sacked three times and completed less than 50 percent of his attempts as his NFL growing pains continued. His biggest mistake was the interception by Terence Newman that was returned 50 yards for a TD. WR Jerricho Cotchery had only two receptions as he got the bulk of Dallas' attention with Laveranues Coles (ankle) sidelined.

Run defense: D

Marion Barber punished the Jets on several bruising runs as he topped the 100-yard mark despite sharing time with Julius Jones, who contributed 64 yards on 14 carries. The Jets didn't have even one tackle for loss on a running play as the front seven was driven backward repeatedly.

Pass defense: C

Even without injured WR Patrick Crayton, the Dallas passing attack moved pretty well, although Tony Romo was sacked three times and intercepted once (by Kerry Rhodes). But the Jets had no answers for TE Jason Witten, who often was open down the middle. CB Darrelle Revis did a nice job on Terrell Owens until T.O.'s fourth-quarter TD.

Special teams: C

Dallas elected to kick deep to Leon Washington most of the time, but covered well, limiting him to a 24.3-yard average on kickoff returns. Dallas' Mat McBriar outpunted fellow Australian Ben Graham by a net of 5.5 yards, and the Jets had three penalties on special teams.

Coaching: C-minus

With a short week plus a travel day, Eric Mangini and Co. were totally outflanked by the Dallas coaching staff. Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett's play-calling kept the Jets' defense off balance, and offensively the Jets weren't able to scheme up anything to cover up for the loss of Coles.

-- J.P. Pelzman

Jets searching for answers after blowout loss to Cowboys

By DENNIS WASZAK JR.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

(Original publication: November 24, 2007)

NEW YORK - Talk about a big letdown in Big D.

The Jets headed home from Dallas disappointed after being dominated just four days after pulling off an upset victory.

"We didn't make much of a statement," tight end Chris Baker said after the 34-3 loss Thursday. "We have to move on from this. They're the class of the NFC. What else can you say?"

That pretty much says it all. Playing at Dallas on Thanksgiving in front of a national audience, the Jets were hardly competition for the NFC East-leading Cowboys.

"It's embarrassing to lose 34-3 any time," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "It makes it worse that everyone was watching."

During the couple of days leading up to the game, the Jets were riding high from their 19-16 overtime upset of Pittsburgh. They were hoping to use the momentum to possibly pull off a second improbable victory in less than a week. Instead, the result was predictably lopsided as the Cowboys overpowered the Jets and sent them to a 2-9 record.

"It was a tale of two teams," coach Eric Mangini said. "When you play a team like the Cowboys and then have the execution like we did, the result is going to be like it was today. To beat a team like that, we had to play our best football. And it was obvious we didn't play our best football."

Kellen Clemens was sacked on each of his first two series and the Jets didn't cross midfield until their final drive of the second quarter. The Jets also failed to get a first down in the second half until there was 5:19 left.

"There were opportunities we had that we didn't take advantage of," said Clemens, who was 12 of 27 for 142 yards in his fourth NFL start. "It's frustrating. It's hard not to be after what we did. We got beat pretty soundly."

After running for 117 yards against the top-ranked rushing defense of the Steelers, Thomas Jones was held to 40 yards on 17 carries by the equally stout Cowboys. The running game was only part of the problem as the Jets mustered only 180 yards of total offense.

"We were pretty confident coming in," Baker said. "Everyone felt we had a chance to win. We didn't execute on offense. I don't think anyone felt like we were overmatched coming in. It was the worst game we played on offense this year."

Leon Washington, who leads the league in kick returns, fumbled the kickoff after the Cowboys scored on the game's opening drive. It served as a sign of how the game would unfold, even though Rhodes intercepted Tony Romo shortly after the miscue.

Terence Newman's interception of Clemens in the second quarter punctuated things by putting the Jets in a 21-0 hole.

"It was a very difficult game to get into any sort of rhythm," Clemens said. "Their front seven did a great job keeping me in the pocket. I didn't play good enough to put our team in a position to win the game."

The defense was hardly without fault, though. After the Jets shut down Ben Roethlisberger and running back Willie Parker on Sunday, Romo & Co. had a relatively easy time against them.

Romo was 21 of 28 for 195 yards while beating the Jets on throws underneath the coverage time and again. Terrell Owens had six catches for 65 yards and a touchdown, Jason Witten caught four passes for 54 yards and a touchdown, while Marion Barber ran for 103 yards and a score.

"We wanted to make them dink and dunk down the field," Rhodes said. "We wanted to control Owens and Witten, and we did a good job of it the first part of the game."

It wasn't nearly enough. Not against a team that's 10-1 and has lost only to undefeated New England. The Jets, meanwhile, have a few extra days to prepare for their upcoming game at Miami on Dec. 2.

"I didn't think we could play this bad," Rhodes said. "We can't make excuses. They outworked us and outperformed us."

Jets Pale in Comparison to League’s Elite

By KAREN CROUSE- NY TIMES

Published: November 24, 2007

IRVING, Tex., Nov. 23 — Excellence on the field has proved elusive and so the Jets must find comfort in this existential idea: It may be better to have played and lost to the two best teams in the National Football League than not to have played them at all.

Defeats this season by a combined score of 72-17 to the 10-0 New England Patriots and the 10-1 Cowboys have stripped the 2-9 Jets of any illusions. They know too much to pretend they are an elite team. In those losses, the Jets’ offense averaged 60 yards rushing, converted 6 of 25 third downs and allowed eight sacks while the defense gave up a combined 775 yards of offense.

Tom Brady threw for 297 yards and 3 touchdowns in a season-opening 38-14 victory, and the Cowboys rushed for 174 yards on Thursday in a 34-3 victory. If it is so easy to move the ball in the N.F.L., why can’t the Jets do it? On six of their possessions against the Cowboys, the Jets ran three plays and punted. Against the Patriots, they had four series in which they failed to make a first down.

The Patriots and Cowboys dominated the line of scrimmage, exposing the Jets’ offensive line as a unit with no cohesion. After the Cowboys game, guard Brandon Moore said of Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens, “Kellen was running for his life.” He added, “We’ve got to hold up our end of the business.”

The Jets drafted Clemens in the second round last year to be Chad Pennington’s heir apparent, then forced the succession issue. It was easier to make an example of the quarterback than make one of the coaching staff or front office, so the Jets benched Pennington and kept their fingers crossed that Clemens would prove a quick study.

Clemens’s learning curve grew steeper when he lost receiver Laveranues Coles, who is the offense’s security blanket. After not missing a game in his previous six seasons, Coles has had to sit out two in the past month because of a concussion and a high-ankle sprain.

Coles’s value to the Jets was perhaps never more obvious than when the Jets tried to solve the Cowboys’ defense without him. Coles eventually will return to the lineup, but what about Pennington? He stands on the sideline now, a very visible martyr for this lost cause of a season.

After the loss to the Cowboys, Coach Eric Mangini was asked if he had considered a quarterback change during the game. “No,” he said, hoping to leave it at that.

Asked if Clemens had earned the chance to remain the Jets’ starter, Mangini said, “I will look at it over the time we have here.”

It was not exactly a ringing endorsement by Mangini. On a recent edition of H.B.O.’s “Inside the N.F.L.,” the discussion turned to the worst job of coaching in the league this season. Cris Carter gave Mangini his vote.

It was a far cry from last season, when the Jets played the two best teams, the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears, and lost by only a combined 13 points. That was the season of Mangenius, a nickname that now sounds more like a taunt.

Falling stock could sack Clemens

Jets might call an audible if QB keeps struggling

Saturday, November 24, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Although University of Virginia defensive end Chris Long, son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, is high on the Jets' early draft day wish list according to NFL insiders, those plans may change if second-year quarterback Kellen Clemens doesn't give the organization a reason to believe over the final five games of this lost season.

Quarterbacks usually take time to develop in the NFL (i.e. Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer) and this year's draft class doesn't include a can't-miss kid at the position. Brian Brohm (Louisville), Matt Ryan (Boston College) and Andre' Woodson (Kentucky) are considered the top three prospects coming out and it's doubtful the Jets would draft any of them with their anticipated top-five pick. They'll likely go defense.

However, if Clemens bottoms out over these final five games, the Jets may have to search the free-agent market or recycle an aging veteran to hold the fort until they can get someone in place. It's highly unlikely they would go back to Chad Pennington, who isn't expected to return next season. He has a $7.8 million cap number and a $4.8 million base salary in 2008.

Clemens has been very ordinary in his first four career starts this season and hasn't impressed anyone with his much-ballyhooed arm strength. While he has been under heavy pressure, his decision making has been questionable.

To be fair, Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon, is undoubtedly experiencing growing pains. He's 1-3 as a starter and completing just 49.1 percent of his passes. He has throw three touchdowns and six interceptions and has led the Jets to just three touchdowns in his four starts. It should be noted that three of his four starts have come against three of the league's most formidable defenses in the Ravens, Steelers and Cowboys.

"I didn't know what to expect," said Clemens of taking over for Pennington.

Clemens displayed late-game heroics in leading the Jets to last-second, game-tying field goals that forced overtime against the Redskins and Steelers, but he was simply overwhelmed by the Cowboys in Thursday's 34-3 drubbing at Texas Stadium before a national television audience.

Against the Cowboys, he completed just 12 of 27 passes for 142 yards, no touchdowns and an interception that was returned 50 yards for a touchdown. He was sacked three times and pressured nearly every time he dropped back to pass.

The Jets, who were without No. 1 wide out Laveranues Coles, amassed only 180 yards total offense, a paltry 60 yards rushing. They converted just two of 14 third-down situations. Dallas won the time of possession battle: 37 minutes, 52 seconds to 22 minutes, 8 seconds.

"It was across the board," said Jets coach Eric Mangini of his team's offensive failings.

Clemens praised the Cowboys' game plan, which suggests the Jets were outcoached.

"They did a pretty good job changing on third down the particular coverages and pressures they were bringing," Clemens said. "They did a really nice job of changing it up so we couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. ... There were times when I would have liked to get out of the pocket to make some plays. Their defensive front seven did a great job of keeping me in the pocket."

Fact is, the Jets' latest offensive meltdown further illustrates that Pennington wasn't the problem. All along, he has maintained that he was comfortable with his performance. He says he still believes he's a starting quarterback in the NFL and it's almost certain he'll move on. Several teams, including the Chiefs, Vikings, Dolphins, Bears, Ravens and Falcons are in the market for a starting quarterback.

"I don't think at any time I said it was Chad Pennington," Mangini said.

Note: Despite being beaten for a touchdown by Cowboys WR Terrell Owens (six catches, 65 yards), Jets rookie CB Darrelle Revis held his own.

"I thought Darrelle actually did a good job, he was with Terrell most of the day," Mangini said.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached

at dhutchinson@starledger.com

No "O" in Big "D"

Posted by Bob Bullock November 23, 2007 2:08PM

Categories: Games

It was back to reality yesterday Jets' fans. It was a cold, hard reality that made my Thanksgiving turkey do spins in the pit of my gut. In a result that I feared the most, the Jets were thoroughly embarrassed in front of a national audience. It was a 34-3 pasting at the hands of the Cowboys, a team that is light-years ahead of Gang Green.

Said safety Kerry Rhodes: "We couldn't handle the big stage, I guess. ... It's embarrassing to lose 34-3 anytime. It makes it even worse with everybody watching."

The team did absolutely nothing on offense for the entire game. Kellen Clemens struggled all day as he ran for his life. Thomas Jones couldn't find any holes either, as the offensive line was a horrible mess against Dallas. The defense did its best for a while, but being on the field for such long stretches of time definitely caught up with them in the end.

It was a disaster from start to finish.

Kellen Clemens is already starting to get ripped by the team's beat losers. Here are some of the comments written today about the young quarterback, making only his fourth start in the NFL.

As much as Pennington struggled before being benched, Clemens, quite frankly, has looked worse. -Mark Cannizzaro, NY Post.

On his interception, Clemens looked a lot like Chad Pennington. He stared down Cotchery on a quick out pattern and Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman jumped the route and took it 50 yards for a touchdown to give the Cowboys a 21-0 lead with 6:18 left in the second quarter. -Dave Hutchinson, The Star Ledger

He's their Great Quarterback Hope, but he still hasn't established himself as the sure-fire answer. And he has only five more games to state his case. -Rich Cimini, the Daily News.

I certainly don't agree that Clemens has looked WORSE than Pennington. I can also accept a bad throw made by a quarterback who is making just his fourth start easier than one made by a guy who has been in the league for 8 years. I know he struggled, but we knew he was going to have games like this when he took over the reigns. This is still all about learning for Clemens and yesterday's game was a tough lesson for him.

Let's also not forget the fact that the Jets were without their best offensive weapon in Laveranues Coles who sat out with an ankle injury.

It was just a bad day all around for Gang Green, a nightmare that will not soon be forgotten. As excited as I was after Sunday's performance against the Steelers is as down I feel about the latest debacle yesterday. The bottom line is that the Jets don't have a very good team right now. It is a team that needs more play-making ability on both sides of the ball. That is something that will NOT change from week to week. It is something "Tangini" must make happen in the off-season.

The last 5 games will be all about the growth process of Clemens and the heart of the rest of the players on this team.

By Tom Rock

Got back from Dallas and had to stop at a Sports Authority on the way home. Inside, way in the back, near the camping and weight-lifting things that no one buys, was a rack of green stuff and a sign:

All Jets Merchandise - 30 % Off.

It reminded me of the urban legend of the sporting goods store that was robbed in New Orleans a few years back. The thieves took everything in the place, cleaned it out, but they did leave a rack of Bobby Hebert jerseys untouched.

Anyway, the Jets are off for a few days. Some of the players said they were heading out of town, others were coming back to LI to get some rest. Five more games. Five more games. Keep telling yourself, five more games.

And I know someone posted a comment about the NY media building Kellen Clemens up only to tear him down. I'm not gonna tear him down yet. But I think he needs to have at least one or two really strong games -- 3 TDs, 300 yards, no INTs -- or else the Jets could be in the market for another QB of the future in the not-so-distant future. Colt Brennan's NY Jets?

Here's my question for you to ponder this weekend:

Do you think the Jets could be an underdog against a winless team next week? I think there's a pretty good chance the Dolphins wind up giving them a point or two. Not that we condone gambling, but we certainly pay attention to the spreads. So, fans, what's the spread for the Miami game?

Posted by Tom Rock on November 23, 2007 3:31 PM | Permalink

Several of the Jets' players said before Thursday's game that it would be a chance for the Jets to make a statement, to show they were much better than their 2-8 mark coming in might indicate.

But all their 34-3 loss to the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day did was once again prove one of the favorite sayings of Bill Parcells, who coached both teams during his career.

You are what your record says you are.

In fact, the sheer dullness created by the combination of their lackluster performance and Dallas' dominance probably forced millions of people to actually have conversations with their relatives.

"We didn't say anything today," tight end Chris Baker said when asked about how the Jets had hoped to make a statement. "We scored three points on offense and had an interception for a touchdown. We didn't make much of a statement at all."

If they did, it was a cry for help for an anemic offense that produced only 180 net yards and went 2-for-14 on third downs. Fittingly, a fourth-quarter drive that seemed destined to produce at least a consolation touchdown ended about two feet short of the goal line when Baker was tackled by Patrick Watkins after catching a pass near the goal line on fourth-and-goal from the 5.

Kellen Clemens had his worst game since being anointed the starting quarterback, going 12-for-27 for 142 yards with one interception, which was returned 50 yards for a second-quarter touchdown by Terence Newman.

"For only having two days (to prepare), they prepared very well schematically," Clemens said of the Cowboys. "They brought some pressure but they also played good behind it. They were flat-out very good on defense."

And, yes, the Jets were pretty bad on offense, as Clemens failed to get them into the end zone for the first time in his four starts. It didn't help that the Jets were without Laveranues Coles (sprained left ankle).

"We're a 2-9 team," said strong safety Kerry Rhodes, who had his second interception is as many games. "We couldn't handle the big stage, I guess. ... It's embarrassing to lose 34-3 anytime. It makes it even worse that everybody was watching."

Well, there's one consolation as the Jets move on. Their next game, against the Dolphins on Dec. 2, will certainly be broadcast to only a select few unfortunates. If Miami loses to heavily favored Pittsburgh on Monday night, the Dolphins will enter that game 0-11.

"We have to move on," Baker said. "There's nothing you can really say about it. (The Cowboys) are 10-1 and obviously the class of the NFC."

And the Jets are obviously at the other end of the spectrum in the AFC. But they say they're resolved not to quit.

"These guys are going to stick together," running back Leon Washington said of himself and his teammates. "I can promise you that."

NOTES, QUOTES

Archived