A Front Office Story.

oxscott

I did not realize this until I just read it, but man did this work out in the Yankees favor.

You always hear about draft picks and trades in the NFL as making large impacts, but not as much in MLB.

Here's one success story: In 2006, the Yankees lost reliever Tom Gordon to the Phillies. For signing Flash, Philadelphia supplied New York with the 41st overall pick in the Draft, which they used to take Chamberlain from the University of Nebraska. Yankees.com

Offering arbitration gives the Yankees a draft pick in the following supplemental draft, and would turn into (2) picks if the FA is considered type "A".

Interesting fact that I was unaware of.

Wow....gotta love that.

Gordon was great during the regular season but too nervous in the play-offs.

I read(I think) that Hughes dropped to the Yanks because he was going to (or is) repped by Boras and teams didn't want to deal with the anticipated signing demands?

Same reason a lot of kids drop in the draft. Brackman and Porcello (Tigers) dropped for the same reasons this past June.

We passed on a guy a two (or three?) years ago, who fell to the Red Sox because he was repped by Boras. A closer -- Hanson, I think.

The Yankees do not pass on clients represented by their agent. To wit, note the selection of Brackman in this past June's draft.

Hanson was over-valued in the Yankees opinion, and was popular in the local media because he went to a Big East school, so he was more well known. So far, his career his been unimpressive, to say the least.

Eh, I think the Yankees would've taken him over C.J. Henry (who was WAY overvalued and traded away soon after being picked) if he hadn't been repped by Boras. With Boras you know that the price will be higher than if the player was not repped by Boras. They would've picked Hanson if he had a different agent, but didn't feel he was worth the added boras-buck$.

Eh, I think the Yankees would've taken him over C.J. Henry (who was WAY overvalued and traded away soon after being picked) if he hadn't been repped by Boras. With Boras you know that the price will be higher than if the player was not repped by Boras. They would've picked Hanson if he had a different agent, but didn't feel he was worth the added boras-buck$.

Henry was asked for, an traded to, the Phils, in the Abreu deal. That worked out very well for the Yankees, as they desperately needed an OF in 2006.

Oh, and Henry is back in the Yankee system He will be in High "A" ball, Tampa in 2008. He apparently had his eyes checked out last July, and now wears new contacts. He hit near .300 since getting that prescription, so who knows.

I still disagree with the Hansen bit. If he was not a local kid, the NY media would never have even noticed him. And no one would then criticize the Yankees for passing him up.

Archived