JetsWiki and the "Mangini Mold"

StraightCash

I was just reading some JetsWiki when I saw this about Abram Elam...

"Elam was born on October 15, 1981 Cardinal Newman HS (West Palm Beach, FL) was one of four Notre Dame football players charged with sexually assaulting a female student in 2002. He was the only player convicted, receiving an 18-month suspended sentence for sexual battery. He was expelled from Notre Dame and finished his college career at Kent State."

I always thought Mangini was all about character players, and many people have held that against him. Apparently though he, like many other coaches, will still deal with players that once had issues.

"Elam was born on October 15, 1981 Cardinal Newman HS (West Palm Beach, FL) was one of four Notre Dame football players charged with sexually assaulting a female student in 2002. He was the only player convicted, receiving an 18-month suspended sentence for sexual battery. He was expelled from Notre Dame and finished his college career at Kent State."

I always thought Mangini was all about character players, and many people have held that against him. Apparently though he, like many other coaches, will still deal with players that once had issues.

Not to downplay any horrendous crime but he was 21 and a college kid then so he's had some time to change perceptions.

You do make a good point though.

Well it could be that he investigated it and didn't think there was really an issue. A suspended sentence usually isn't doled out unless someone isn't really guilty of something except technically. Academia can be really quick to jump the gun in these types of cases, as Duke has shown, so getting expelled doesn't prove anything at all.

He is dumb as rocks though so who knows. He needs to stop running into his own players.

Archived