Bibby to be traded to Atlanta

faba

Kings sending guard Bibby to Hawks for four players

ESPN.com news services

Mike Bibby propelled the Sacramento Kings on one of the longest playoff runs in their history with several clutch shots. Now he'll be taking his clutch ability East to help the playoff-hopeful Atlanta Hawks.

Bibby

The Kings have agreed to send Bibby to Atlanta for guards Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue, center Lorenzen Wright and forward/center Shelden Williams. Williams was the Hawks' first-round choice in the 2007 NBA draft.

Hawks owner Michael Gearon Jr. said he expected the deal to be completed Saturday.

When contacted Saturday morning by The Sacramento Bee, Bibby said he wasn't surprised he was being traded, but was surprised he was headed to Atlanta.

"I had some good times here in Sacramento," Bibby told the newspaper. "Sometimes you need a change and you never know where that might take you. I just prayed and asked for what might be the best for my family and this is what happened, so you can't question it.

"I'll always have love for the people in Sacramento, the Maloofs and [President] Geoff [Petrie]."

Each of the players the Kings are acquiring has an expiring contract, which should help Sacramento in its efforts to clear salary cap space to become a player in the free-agency market this summer. The Kings have lost three straight and have not been above .500 all season. They're 13 games back in the Pacific Division and are 11th in the West.

The Hawks will be adding a point guard they hope can stabilize a team that's lost four straight and has fallen to 21-28 after getting off to a 14-12 start and showing playoff promise. Atlanta is in 9th place in the Eastern Conference and 9

Archived