God D*** Hotspurs

Mavrik

Maybe it's a good thing I missed the match yesterday.

England defender Jonathan Woodgate capped a remarkable Tottenham fightback with an extra-time winner over Chelsea in the Carling Cup final at Wembley.

A first-half goal from Didier Drogba, his 10th of the season, put Chelsea on the brink of a second successive Carling Cup triumph but a second-half penalty from Dimitar Berbatov sent the game into extra-time.

Then just four minutes into the extended period, a somewhat fortunate header from Woodgate earned Spurs their first trophy since they claimed the Worthington Cup in 1999.

The pre-match focus had revolved around Chelsea coach Avram Grant's team selection with Frank Lampard and captain John Terry, omitted from the Champions League side against Olympiacos the previous Tuesday, unsure of their places. But the 52-year-old Israeli, who replaced Jose Mourinho as manager last September, cleverly avoided more controversy by selecting them both in his final line-up.

Instead, it was troubled England left-back Ashley Cole, France veteran Claude Makelele, Germany captain Michael Ballack and England midfielder Joe Cole who found themselves out of luck. Grant also paired new

LOL...I'm posting in soccer thread.

I actually listened to a bit of the game yesterday...not because I care but because the girl I'm dating is a HUGE hotspur fan. She's a season ticket holder and was at the game yesterday. When I dropped her off at the train station to go to Wembley she said "there's no way we'll beat Chelsea but it's a nice thought"

Archived