Thorn says Frank's job as Nets coach safe

faba

Report: Thorn says Frank's job safe even if Nets miss playoffs

ESPN.com news ser

Although they are currently on the outside of the Eastern Conference playoff race, the New Jersey Nets reportedly have no plans to fire coach Lawrence Frank if the team doesn't qualify for the postseason.

Frank

"I don't have any thoughts or ideas of replacing him at all," Nets president Rod Thorn told the Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J. "He's done a good job for us, and I'm sure he'll continue to do so in the future."

The Nets (31-41) currently trail the Atlanta Hawks by a half game for the final spot in the East. Frank, who has been the Nets' coach since midway through the 2004 season, has a 188-170 career record. The team hasn't missed the playoffs while he has been its head coach.

Thorn told the Star-Ledger that there are reasons for the Nets' struggles this season, however.

"We've had a really tough year, on a lot of levels. The Jason Kidd situation made things difficult," Thorn told the Star-Ledger. "We had injuries like everybody else. This hasn't been an easy year for anyone on our team, particularly for coaches, with all the stuff that's gone on around here."

Frank signed a multiyear extension before the 2007 season. Thorn reiterated to the Star-Ledger that the coach's job is safe, even if the Nets don't make the playoffs.

"I don't see anything that can transpire that would change my mind," Thorn told the newspaper. "I got a call from a writer the other day who said he's writing a column that the coach should be fired. So I know it's out there in the media, and from fan e-mails. But that's not going to influence me one way or the other. I know the job Lawrence does for us."

Archived