VERSATILE MURPHY TURNING HEADS

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05042008/sports/mets/versatile_murphy_turning_heads_109334.htm

May 4, 2008 -- Mets New York Mets t.gif prospect Dan Murphy, Double-A Binghamton's starting third baseman, had a great April, hitting .363 with one home run and 18 RBI in 26 games.

But no matter how much Murphy, Baseball America's No. 15 prospect in the Mets system, hits in the minors, he always is going to have the same problem: David Wright David Wright t.gif. Because the star third baseman should have the hot corner in Queens covered for years to come, Murphy's going to have to play somewhere else if he expects to make it with the Mets.

"He is athletic enough to play different positions," Mets VP of Player Development Tony Bernazard said. "Right now we have him playing most of the games at third base, but he has also worked out at first base and the outfield."

For his part, Murphy, who played right field for his first year and a half at Jacksonville University, will play wherever he's told.

"No spot on the field matters - just the opportunity to play is all I'm looking for," he said. "I'm completely happy with wherever they decide to play me."

An American League scout said he felt Murphy was athletic enough to be effective in the field at multiple positions in the majors.

"I think he's athletic enough to go to left field," he said. "He also could be a more than adequate first baseman, but I think if you stick him in left, he'd be at least an average left fielder."

Nathan Vineyard, one of the Mets two supplemental first round draft picks in 2007, was scheduled to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery Friday. The 6-foot-3 left-hander lost both of his starts for Low-A Savannah this season, allowing 13 runs on 13 hits in eight innings.

"The one advantage to having surgery is that he is younger," Bernazard said. "He is young enough (19) that he should recuperate quicker (than an older pitcher).Vineyard, who will be 20 in October, was drafted out of Woodland High School in Cartersville, Georgia, where he went 8-2 with a 0.84 ERA in 10 starts in 2007. He struck out 105 and walked 12 in 59 innings.

Teams get off to bad starts every year. But the Mets High-A affiliate, the St. Lucie Mets, started the 2008 season an abysmal 2-20, and already have gone through six- and 11-game losing streaks.

"No one can anticipate a 2-20 record," manager Tim Teufel said. "It hasn't been a lack of effort, it's just been a matter of getting guys in the right positions to make plays."

After 22 games of futility, St. Lucie has begun making the right plays. Through Friday, the Mets won five of their last six games, raising their record to 7-21.

Archived