Jets one of 5 teams tht could surprise ESPN

flgreen

5 teams that could surprise

May 27, 2008 9:28 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas.

What's the difference between a 7-9 season that comes up short of the playoffs and an 11-5 record with the potential for a deep postseason run?

In the eyes of the Carolina Panthers, it all comes down to the right elbow of quarterback Jake Delhomme. In an otherwise quiet offseason, the Panthers have made it clear they believe the main ingredient for a turnaround season is a healthy Delhomme.

They may be right. With a solid defense already in place, one of the league's top receivers (Steve Smith) and some new parts that should improve the running game, the Panthers are poised to be one of this year's turnaround teams.

Here's a look at five non-playoff teams from last year that could be headed for postseason play:

CAROLINA PANTHERS

Coach John Fox spent much of last year saying he didn't like to make excuses and then turning right around and telling anyone who would listen how tough it is to win without your starting quarterback. That part was painfully true as David Carr flopped and Vinny Testaverde fossilized after Delhomme went down in Week 3. The bright spot was the play of undrafted rookie quarterback Matt Moore late in the season, but he remains a project.

The Panthers somehow resisted the temptation to bring in an experienced backup or even try to get a quarterback in the draft. That seems like a risky move. But keep in mind, the Panthers know the condition of Delhomme's right elbow far better than anyone else. Their medical staff must feel abundantly confident that Delhomme can make a full recovery from Tommy John surgery and Delhomme said he thinks he can be better than he was the last couple of years.

With Fox entering the season clearly on the hot seat, a healthy Delhomme is precisely what the Panthers need. After reshuffling their offensive line, drafting running back Jonathan Stewart and signing receivers Muhsin Muhammad and D.J. Hackett, all the parts are in place for the Panthers to be a serious playoff contender.

NEW YORK JETS

They went from 10-6 and the playoffs in Eric Mangini's first year as coach to 4-12 last season. Chad Pennington caught much of the blame, but the Jets realized the problems went way beyond the quarterback. That's why the Jets were one of the league's most aggressive teams in the offseason.

At the start of free agency, they spent a fortune to get offensive lineman Alan Faneca, defensive tackle Kris Jenkins and linebacker/defensive end Calvin Pace and they used their first-round draft pick on Vernon Gholston, who can play defensive end or linebacker. Jenkins, who once was the best defensive tackle in the league, is in shape, focused and happy after clashing with Fox in Carolina the last few years.

Pennington and Kellen Clemens will compete for the starting job in training camp, but either quarterback should be fine behind a rebuilt offensive line. New England still owns the AFC East, but the Jets should be better than Buffalo and Miami and in contention for the playoffs.

ARIZONA CARDINALS

They went 8-8 last year and that was their best record since 1998. Still, it's always easy to doubt the Cardinals will ever turn the corner. But maybe things really are different with Ken Whisenhunt coaching this team.

Whisenthunt has worked hard to fix an offensive line that's been laughable for a decade, he has one of the league's most talented receiving corps and the defense already is respectable. If quarterback Matt Leinart can just make a little progress (and stay healthy), the Cardinals could be a contender in the weak NFC West.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Even in the very talented NFC East, it's hard to imagine the Eagles staying down for long. Andy Reid didn't suddenly become a bad coach and he still has a very talented roster. Keeping quarterback Donovan McNabb and running back Brian Westbrook healthy always is going to be a challenge, but the Eagles will be contenders if McNabb and Westbrook can stay on the field. Reid firmly believes Lorenzo Booker, acquired in a trade with Miami, can help lighten Westbrook's load.

Wide receiver remains an issue, but the Eagles drafted DeSean Jackson to try to give McNabb another playmaker. Reid's had a rough couple of years, dealing with family issues and the saga of former Philadelphia receiver Terrell Owens. But when Reid has the time to just focus on coaching he's as good as anyone in the game.

OAKLAND RAIDERS

This is nothing more than a wild hunch. Sure, the Raiders look to still be the most dysfunctional team in football. But they have plenty of talent on the roster and, no matter what Al Davis thinks, Lane Kiffin can coach.

JaMarcus Russell is as physically talented as any quarterback in the league and he's going to get to play this year.

And maybe the apparent chaos is part of Davis' master plan, if he's got one. Sometimes, when it seems like the rest of the world is against you, a team will pull together and surprise everyone.

I can see more of a humiliating power-running game to defeat the Pats. They had the ball rammed down their throat when they played Baltimore last year (McGahee had 138 yards)... I think our OL paired with Richardson and Bubba Franks is going to enable some smash-style football.

I can see more of a humiliating power-running game to defeat the Pats. They had the ball rammed down their throat when they played Baltimore last year (McGahee had 138 yards)... I think our OL paired with Richardson and Bubba Franks is going to enable some smash-style football.

If, and this is a big if, the Jets are to give the Pats a serious run in the AFCE, that's how they will do it.

That and a big pass rush that puts Brady on his butt multiple times a game

If, and this is a big if, the Jets are to give the Pats a serious run in the AFCE, that's how they will do it.

That and a big pass rush that puts Brady on his butt multiple times a game

we would have to have a few seriously good breaks early in the season, or noteably in the Pat's game.

1. gholston needs to be able to come in and offer a speed rush, if nothing else, right way.

2. we need to get out to a quick lead against NE, and get the running game going

3. kellen needs to play well...not good...just well enough to move the ball and score points when we have good field position.

With our line i don't see how it's a stretch that the jets are one of the better teams in the NFL playing with a lead. ---trick is...how do we get a lead in the first place?

we would have to have a few seriously good breaks early in the season, or noteably in the Pat's game.

1. gholston needs to be able to come in and offer a speed rush, if nothing else, right way.

2. we need to get out to a quick lead against NE, and get the running game going

3. kellen needs to play well...not good...just well enough to move the ball and score points when we have good field position.

With our line i don't see how it's a stretch that the jets are one of the better teams in the NFL playing with a lead. ---trick is...how do we get a lead in the first place?[/quote]

I don't think the offense is going to be anywhere near as bad as it was last year, regardless of who the QB is. I hope it's Clemens myself.

This will be "Marty Ball East" Power running game, with a TE who can split the defense wide open when they try to put to many men in the box. If all goes well I think they have that.

No really "Great" WR's but I think we have 3 good ones. I think they will score points. The key will be the defense.

On paper I like the way they look both sides of the ball.

I don't think the offense is going to be anywhere near as bad as it was last year, regardless of who the QB is. I hope it's Clemens myself.

This will be "Marty Ball East" Power running game, with a TE who can split the defense wide open when they try to put to many men in the box. If all goes well I think they have that.

No really "Great" WR's but I think we have 3 good ones. I think they will score points. The key will be the defense.

On paper I like the way they look both sides of the ball.

Looking at this team from the outside, it looks like a team that will ask the QB to throw about 15 to 20 time per game. A high percentage of those throws would be geared to keep the secondary honest.

I really like the make up, on paper, of this team. Like you said before, they are built well to play with a lead.

Looking at this team from the outside, it looks like a team that will ask the QB to throw about 15 to 20 time per game. A high percentage of those throws would be geared to keep the secondary honest.

I really like the make up, on paper, of this team. Like you said before, they are built well to play with a lead.[/quote

I agree

If it is Clemens, don't discount the fact that they throw the ball way up field 3 or 4 times a game. A few of them will hit

Archived