Woody is on the path to ownership immortality- Boland

Kentucky Jet

The Jets Want You to Know That Selling PSLs to Their New Stadium Is a Favor to You

Posted Jun 23rd 2008 8:35AM by Josh Alper

Filed under: Jets, AFC East, NFL Fans, New York

As fans of football teams with new stadiums from coast to coast are well aware, the personal seat license is here to stay. Owners see how much money their brethren bring in through PSLs and feel they owe it to themselves to juice revenues as much as possible. Argue about it if you like but they aren't going anywhere so long as fans are willing to spend through the nose to get them.

I just wish teams could be more up front about their desire for the money. John Mara of the Giants made it seem like he needed the money from PSLs to pay for emergency surgery for his daughter, for example. There must be something about the Meadowlands because now the Jets are playing the same game. Erik Boland of Newsday got his hands on a "survey" the team sent to "help the Jets determine the best way to sell tickets to the new stadium." It reads more like a PR piece for PSLs.

"The Jets are surveying different types and terms of Personal Seat Licenses (PSLs) as one of the ways to help achieve this requirement. A PSL is an asset, like a taxi medallion, that is purchased in addition to the ticket that gives the holder ownership of the seat. This holder can then sell the seat license in the future, including for any profit, to someone else if the holder no longer wishes to purchase season tickets."

To quote The Outlaw Josey Wales, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

A PSL isn't an asset, it's a surcharge for the right to buy tickets, nothing more and nothing less. Most people buy tickets because they enjoy football and not because they are planning to sell them down the road, especially when they root for a team with the Jets feeble history.

Imagine being held up at gunpoint and told by the thief that, rather than taking money you'd prefer not to lose, he was doing you a favor. You'd probably go buy a steak with this money and, over time, that could clog your arteries and cause a heart attack so I'm actually doing a good thing and you should thank me.

The PSL is the only option being discussed and it will be the route the team chooses to go. Fine, it's what everyone expects. Just don't try to make it sound like you're doing people a favor.

Comments [1]PermalinkEmail ThisLinking BlogsShare This

Add this post to...NetscapeDiggDel.icio.usYardBarkerBallhypeFark

Archived