Inside Slant : D'Brick ~ ~ ~

kelly

New York Jets Inside Slant

by Sports Xchange

Updated: August 4, 2008, 9:40 PM EST

In his rookie season of 2006, D'Brickashaw Ferguson lost weight as the year went on, which hindered his performance late in the season. So it could be significant that the third-year left tackle won the team's award for strength and conditioning in the offseason leading up to training camp."He was the big winner of the offseason awards," Mangini said. "I think he's having a very good camp as well. So it definitely carries over into the next phase, and that's why it's so important to Mike (Tannenbaum, the general manager), me and the organization."

Ferguson does appear stronger than he has been in previous years, particularly his rookie season of 2006, when his weight dipped to around 290 pounds late in the season."I just wanted to work out and make strides (in the offseason)," the 6-foot-6, 312-pound Ferguson said. "I'm really happy with the strides that I made. ... Experience plays a big role, so you don't make the same mistakes that you did in years prior."Now the Jets hope that strength and knowledge lead to a breakout 2008 season for Ferguson. When the Jets drafted him with the fourth overall pick in 2006, they hoped he would be a shutdown left tackle. While he has shown glimpses of that ability, his first two seasons have been marred by inconsistency.

"Brick's a good player," said left guard Alan Faneca, a seven-time Pro Bowler whom the Jets hope can tutor Ferguson. "Brick can take it to another level. He's very aggressive. He's very smart and he's really good at his technique. It takes a little time. You start putting things together and all of a sudden you just take off."

The Jets thought 2007 would perhaps be Ferguson's breakout season, after he studied under former NFL standout Lomas Brown, brought in as a consultant by the Jets during the preseason. But in the season opener, New England's Jarvis Green got past Ferguson to deliver the sack on Chad Pennington that resulted in two torn ligaments in the quarterback's right ankle.That set the tone for an up-and-down season for Ferguson. But the Jets expect a better 2008 from him, and Ferguson and Faneca seem to work well together. In a recent chalk talk Mangini gave to beat reporters, he showed footage of a play from a spring practice in which Ferguson and Faneca worked in perfect sync to foil an attempted stunt by the opposing defensive linemen.

Ferguson seemed to suffer last season without the veteran Pete Kendall next to him, but the signing of Faneca gives him someone to lean on.As if Ferguson needs to, considering his obvious and burgeoning strength."He looks different," Mangini said. "He came in the office the other day and he's swelled up. He looks like he's been spending time with (well-developed) Thomas Jones, which is great. That fullness that he has in his upper body now is translating into a much more powerful (hand) punch. I've been really happy with that."

"I always set goals for myself of things I want to attain," Ferguson said, although he didn't describe them. "Expectations are always going to be there. If there were no expectations, we wouldn't bring in guys, we wouldn't try to recruit the players we do and we wouldn't make the moves that we did. Expectations are always going to be there, it's just (a matter of) rising to that challenge."

The Jets need Ferguson to do that in 2008.

CAMP CALENDAR: Camp closes: TBA, most likely Aug. 20 or 21.

> http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809794/New-York-Jets-Inside-Slant

hey alright kelly's back.

as far as ferguson is concerned. I hear he is holding his own against gholston, i assume that is a good thing considering i hear that gholston beats up on just about everyone else.

also i'm sure Brick is a little relieved he doesn't have to face Jason "i'm a dancer" taylor week one

hey alright kelly's back.

as far as ferguson is concerned. I hear he is holding his own against gholston, i assume that is a good thing considering i hear that gholston beats up on just about everyone else.

also i'm sure Brick is a little relieved he doesn't have to face Jason "i'm a dancer" taylor week one

" hey alright kelly's back. . . "

i'm like a bad habit ; i keep coming back ~ ~ ~ m_edf1fcc97e316a4605a353395939b79a.jpg . . . cheers ~ ~

Archived