Tigers to reportedly honor Harwell at Wednesday game

JetNation

Harwell broadcast the Giants in NY when Willie Mays broke in in the 1950s. Also, in the 1970s and 1980s Harwell and Rizzuto would switch crews for a few innings sometimes when the Yankees and Tigers played, so you would get to hear him in NY; he was and still is great. Some say Vince Scully is the best, but it's not even close; Harwell is far and away the very best. I hope he enjoys what time he has left. He will be missed.

Harwell broadcast the Giants in NY when Willie Mays broke in in the 1950s. Also, in the 1970s and 1980s Harwell and Rizzuto would switch crews for a few innings sometimes when the Yankees and Tigers played, so you would get to hear him in NY; he was and still is great. Some say Vince Scully is the best, but it's not even close; Harwell is far and away the very best. I hope he enjoys what time he has left. He will be missed.

I never knew about him and Rizzuto switching crews....that's sort of cool actually. There as nothing better back in the day, then turning on 760 WJR-AM (When they had the Tigers) and listening to Harwell call a game. In 2006 when the Tigers won the ALCS and went to thew WS, they brought him to do an inning or 2, a classy act at current broadcaster of 97.1 FM

Archived