Slauson Boldy Takes Aim At Starting LG Job- Randy Lange

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/post...tarting-lg-job

NewYorkJets.com

SLAUSON BOLDLY TAKES AIM AT STARTING LG JOB

By Randy Lange

Matt Slauson does not look at all like a man on the hot seat. The second-year guard stood in the middle of the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room on his way to the shower (tastefully clothed, of course) and talked calmly and coolly about the opportunity that could be ahead for him in the coming season.

"Right now I'm listed as a starter-slash-backup because I'm competing for a starting job, obviously with Vlad," said Slauson, "Vlad" being second-round rookie Vladimir Ducasse and "job" being the left guard spot vacated with the departure of veteran Alan Faneca. "I don't know how things are going to play out, but I know know this opportunity and I plan to make the most of it."

But shouldn't this young man be nervous? The Jets' offensive line, which had been intact for two full seasons, gained recognition in 2009 as one of the NFL's best units as it helped pave the way for the league's No. 1-ranked rushing offense. And now there's an opening.

Yet Slauson's quiet confidence has several sources. The 6'5", 315-pounder isn't exactly new to surviving and being adaptable in the football spotlight, having started 32 games combined at three different positions (RG, RT, LT) at Nebraska.

And his head coach for his first three seasons at Nebraska is the same as his line coach for his two seasons as a Jet: Bill Callahan. "He's the best in the business," Slauson said. "I know how he works, he knows how I work."

Then there was his rookie NFL campaign, when he saw limited action on the line but got a lot of guidance from starting guards Faneca and Brandon Moore.

"I learned a lot playing behind Alan and Brandon," he said. "I was able to pick their brains and see how things were supposed to be done."

Slauson has a good idea how things need to be done off the field. He was named the team's sixth Hampton Award winner, which goes to the rookie "who acts most like a pro in the locker room" and is friendly, courteous and neat.

And on Wednesday he just made his first "solo" hospital visit to see the kids at the Goryeb Children's Hospital at Morristown Memorial near the team complex.

"I really enjoyed that a lot. I just love visiting the kids," he said. "When I was growing up, I'd kill to meet a football player

It's damned near impossible to not want to root for this kid and have him succeed. Ideally, he'd win this starting job and have Vlad take over for Woody. He just seems to fit the temperament of a guard perfectly.

Man, there are a lot of competitions in camp that i'm eager to see.

Archived