Final Thoughts----Cimini

flgreen

Final thoughts on the '14 Super Bowl

May, 25, 2010 May 25

9:07

PM ET

Email Print Share

By Rich Cimini

Okay, enough talk about snow, cold temperatures, history ... yada, yada, yada. As fans, you want to know how the 2014 Super Bowl coming to our area will impact the Jets.

Well, it should provide a boost for ticket sales. Although team officials won't divulge the exact number, it's believed that several thousand PSLs remain unsold. Team officials were confident before the Super Bowl vote that all the PSLs would be sold by opening day -- not sure I'm buying that -- but the Super Bowl has to help.

It also should help secure a naming-rights deal, and that could be worth approximately $500 million for the Jets and Giants. In theory, big companies should want to have their name attached to a stadium that is hosting a Super Bowl, right? Is that going to help the Jets re-sign Darrelle Revis to a long-term extension? Hey, it can't hurt.

This victory also figures to help the Jets' brand in terms of exposure. It's definitely a source of pride. They get to show off their new stadium and their city to a worldwide audience. Owner Woody Johnson was beaming after Tuesday's vote.

"It couldn't be a bigger moment for the Jets and the Jets' fans," he told reporters. "For the Jets to finally have this is huge."

Do the players care? Yes and no. The Jets released canned statements from Mark Sanchez, Nick Mangold and Revis, gushing about the 2014 Super Bowl. But Bart Scott, capturing the sentiment of most players, said last week, "We don't care (about 2014). I'm worried about where the Super Bowl is this year. I'm worried about Dallas."

Archived