Jets News 5-26. Lots of Super Bowl Stories

flgreen

Giants, Jets players agree: Super Bowl decision a no-brainer

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

BY VINNY DITRANI

The Record

STAFF WRITER

#printDesc{display:none;} Weather or not, the Giants and Jets were excited to learn Tuesday that Super Bowl XLVIII will be played in the new stadium they will share.

(2 of 3)

"Put my stamp on it: This will be the first two home teams playing in the Super Bowl2_bing.gif," he crowed.

Ryan, naturally, also applauded the decision.

"To me, it's a no-brainer when you consider that this vote helps two teams, the Jets and the Giants," he said. "Add in the fact that you have as good a stadium as there is in the league, and no one is going to complain about this not being a great Super Bowl, because you're in the best city in the world."

The Super Bowl is expected to bring hundreds of millions of dollars to New York City, in part from an estimated 250,000 visitors expected to attend the NFL Experience public trade show, said Chris Heywood, a spokesman for NYC & Company, the city's tourism arm. About 50,000 to 60,000 people are expected to stay in the city's hotels, while media sponsors and corporate sponsors also will be adding their cash to the mix.

"We're the city that hosted the greatest game ever played more than 50 years ago, and we'll be ready for Super Bowl XLVIII," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. "Our restaurants, stores and hotels will be ready. Our pubs, cafes and attractions will be ready. And if it snows? We'll be ready for that, too."

Bloomberg said 48th Street would be renamed 48th Street-Super Bowl Way in honor of the 48th title game.

The outspoken Christie was ready for questions about people inevitably saying that New York got the Super Bowl.

"Those comments would come from the geographically challenged, because I'm looking out that door and it's New Jersey. And I look where that stadium is, and it's New Jersey. And when everybody gets on the train or in their cars or on buses, they're going to be coming to that game in New Jersey," the first-term governor said, adding that the selection of the stadium might be the impetus he needs to run for a second term in November 2013.

"This is not a competition between us and New York. What this is, though, is New York is going to have to live with the fact that, when the game comes up, they're going to say: 'Live from East Rutherford, New Jersey.' "

3 of 3)

As Christie addressed about 200 people in Redd's Restaurant and Bar, Eddie Marthinson and Paul Helwig sat at the bar and drank some beers. All they wanted to talk about was football.

Helwig, 63, of Woodridge, said he has watched nearly every Super Bowl on television. The only one the Jets fan missed was when the Jets played the Colts in Super Bowl III.

"I was in a rice paddy in Vietnam," Helwig said. "I listened on the radio at four in the morning."

Marthinson, a 66-year-old Giants fan, said he was at the Colts-Giants title game at Yankee Stadium in 1958.

"Football is supposed to be an all-weather sport," he said. "Some of the greatest games in NFL history have been played in the cold."

Dennis Robinson, chief executive of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority in the Meadowlands, where the new 82,500-seat facility is located, said the weather would not be a problem, noting the Jets' final home game last season was played just six hours after a major snowstorm ended.

"This is the icing on the cake after 34 years," Robinson said. "This is the ultimate worldwide event. We've had a papal visit, the World Cup2_bing.gif, the Final Four and now the Super Bowl in 2014."

Some of the greatest games in NFL history have been played in the cold, including the Giants' NFC championship win over Green Bay in January 2008, when the temperature plunged to about minus-25.

"Nobody wants to play in the cold," Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis said. "But New York City

Jersey gov hails 'great day'

Giants Blog

By DAVID SATRIANO

Last Updated: 7:37 AM, May 26, 2010

Posted: 2:22 AM, May 26, 2010

Comments: 0 | More icon_print.gif Print

Let the Super celebrations begin!

"New Jersey and the Super Bowl are together!" a jubilant Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said yesterday at Redd's Restaurant and Bar in Carlstadt after the announcement that Super Bowl XLVIII will take place at the new Meadowlands Stadium.

"It's a great day for the state of New Jersey. Less than a mile from where we are standing, the eyes of the world will be on New Jersey here in 2014.

"If Mayor Bloomberg is nice, maybe we will even invite him."

Bloomberg was in Times Square at the time to celebrate. He renamed 48th Street "Super Bowl 48th Street."

"We are going to make sure we are ready for the Super Bowl no matter what happens that day," Christie said.

"The Department of Transportation and every resource that we have at New Jersey's disposal will be there to make sure everything runs smoothly."

Christie said only two things would make the day better -- if the Giants and Jets play for that Super Bowl championship.

Jets center Nick Mangold, also at Redd's, agreed.

"I think it's probably going to be great," he said.

"I love the cold and being able to play in this area. I think the game of football is made to be played outside and in the elements.

"I think the 2014 Super Bowl, the Giants and Jets will both be there. The first ever Super Bowl where the two home teams get in."

david.satriano@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/jersey_gov_hails_great_day_kSUdSRHCDF1vRzXJDtlzAI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0p2Q1LjYw

Our guys go ga-ga over gala in Gotham

Giants Blog

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Last Updated: 7:37 AM, May 26, 2010

Posted: 2:24 AM, May 26, 2010

Comments: 2 | More icon_print.gif Print

Eli Manning knows his way around the Super Bowl as MVP of the Giants' upset of the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. And, as a marquee quarterback in New York, he recognizes a perfect marriage when he sees it.

"Nobody knows how to host an event like the greatest city in the world," Manning said yesterday upon hearing that New York/New Jersey will host the Super Bowl in 2014 at the new Meadowlands Stadium.

"The Super Bowl is the greatest event, and I think meant to be played on the greatest stage."

Interestingly, Manning lists his favorite NFL game ever as the 2007 NFC Championship Game, a riveting 23-20 overtime victory in Green Bay played in minus-23 degree wind chill -- the coldest game in Giants history and the third-coldest in NFL history.

vincent_curatola--300x300.jpg Christopher Sadowski

SACK'S APPEAL : Actor Vincent Curatola, aka "Johnny Sack'' of "Sopranos" fame, celebrates at a sports bar in Carlstadt yesterday after it was announced that Super Bowl XLVIII will be played just a short drive from the Bada Bing.

PHOTOS: COLD WEATHER GAMES AT MEADOWLANDS

Manning adores that game largely because he and his team were able to combat and defeat the harsh conditions.

In February 2014, the first Super Bowl played outdoors in a cold-weather city will assure a winter feel for a game almost always played in warmth or an indoor dome.

As far as any weather concerns, Fox analyst Michael Strahan -- whose last game for the Giants was the Super Bowl victory in Glendale, Ariz. -- scoffed at anyone worried about the elements.

"As a player, you'll play anywhere to have an opportunity to win a Super Bowl, and as a fan, you'll be part of a historic game," Strahan said.

"The way I look at it, anyone who is worried about snow or if it will be too cold doesn't deserve to go to or play in a Super Bowl."

Rex Ryan, the Jets' boastful coach, didn't guarantee his team will be the AFC representative in the 2014 game, but did call the decision to bring the game to the Meadowlands "a no-brainer."

Ryan added, "You have as good a stadium as there is in the league, and no one is going to complain about this not being a great Super Bowl, because you're in the best city in the world."

Giants center Shaun O'Hara, a Rutgers grad raised in New Jersey, understands what this game will mean to the area.

"As a player, you love the idea of playing the greatest game in the shadow of the greatest city in the world," O'Hara said.

"For the Super Bowl, you want great accommodations for your team and family, a great practice facility to prepare for the game and great hospitality to keep your family and friends occupied.

"You also want a state-of-the-art stadium for a great game-day atmosphere. A New Jersey and New York Super Bowl accomplishes all that."

Already thinking ahead, Giants running back Brandon Jacobs said, "Our goal every year is to be Super Bowl champ. If it's even possible, knowing our home stadium will host the Super Bowl gives us even more incentive."

Jets QB Mark Sanchez echoed that sentiment, saying, "While it is always our goal every year, it would be extra special to make history in our own stadium."

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/our_guys_go_ga_ga_over_gala_in_gotham_EoZQrfbPjN9AGNDux8jaAK?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0p2RFBaCM

Many hands went into securing 2014 Super Bowl, including a Giant push by Jets owner Woody Johnson

Gary Myers

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_jets_johnson.jpg Gutierrez/AP

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson pushes for the new Meadowlands stadium to host the Super Bowl. Giants co-owner John Mara says Johnson's persistence made the bid possible.

IRVING, Tex. - If Super Bowl 2014 is going to be the ultimate New York event, a party for the ages in this great city of ours, the one thing that will make it unforgettable is for the Giants and Jets to play each other and turn this into a real Subway/Turnpike Super Bowl.

Of course, the chances of that happening are more remote than the Jets and Giants saying, "just kidding," and refunding the PSL money that helped build the $1.7 billion stadium that will host Super Bowl XLVIII in February 2014.

Still, how incredible would it be if the New York Super Bowl is actually a New York-New York Super Bowl? It would be the hottest ticket in New York sports history in what could be the coldest weather in New York outdoor sports history. Would anybody even care about the thermometer?

Considering the Giants and Jets have never played in the conference championship game in the same season, and that no team in the first 44 Super Bowls has ever played on its home field, New York-New Jersey will likely just have to settle for being given the mandate to make sure the first outdoor Super Bowl in a cold weather city becomes a winter carnival and not a winter calamity.

This was Woody Johnson's idea after he failed to get his West Side Stadium and instead became partners with the Giants. The NFL had promised Johnson the 2010 Super Bowl had he been able to seal the deal on the West Side with the retractable roof.

"Woody started pushing this idea on me about four years ago when we first entered into this partnership and was absolutely relentless about it," John Mara said. "He finally convinced me this is the right way to go and I want to thank him for doing that. I really wasn't sure we would be able to get enough support. The more we started talking to people, the more we discovered there would be support."

They always had the backing of three of the NFL's most powerful and influential owners: Robert Kraft of the Patriots, Jerry Jones of the Cowboys and Pat Bowlen of the Broncos. After initially expressing doubt about the elements, the Rooney family, so close to the Mara family for decades, voted for their friends.

New York, the favorite going into Tuesday's vote, won out over Tampa and South Florida. It took four ballots, which created drama and some anxiety for the bid organizers, but it actually followed the script.

The 2004 game in Atlanta was the last time a city won on the first ballot when 75% of the vote is required to win. After the second ballot, when 75% is still required, the bid with the lowest total is eliminated. No surprise that was South Florida. That set up Tampa vs. New York on the third ballot when 75% is still needed. Mara had predicted no city would get 75%. He was right.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/05/26/2010-05-26_woody_wish_in_forecast.html?r=sports%2Ffootball%2Fjets&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fjets+%28Sports%2FFootball%2FJets%29#ixzz0p2TUsrn1

(Page 2 of 2)

Then came the fourth ballot when only a simple majority is required. Steve Tisch handed in the Giants' vote on the first and third ballot. Mara handed it in on the second and fourth. Superstitious?

After the votes were counted on the fourth ballot, Roger Goodell announced, "Here is the decision of the clubs. Super Bowl XLVIII in February of 2014 will be played in New York-New Jersey." The champagne corks starting popping in the NY-NJ conference room. The vote totals were not announced. "I just thought it was such a logical idea with two teams in a stadium of this magnitude. Why not?" Johnson said.

While the New York-New Jersey video presentation highlighted the positives of winter football, New York and didn't use one celebrity, the Tampa video had an impassioned speech from Tampa resident Dick Vitale. One NFL owner thought that was ridiculous.

The owners' vote was a thank you to the Mara family for its contributions to the NFL; a sign of support to New York in the years after 9/11 and a continuation of Goodell's approach to always be creative and never be complacent.

Goodell's backing was crucial. Even though he didn't have a vote and didn't officially endorse the bid, Mara said Goodell's supportive words were a "factor."

That puts Goodell in position to make sure this is a successful event. To an extent, it's on him. "As commissioner, I understand the responsibility that comes with my position," he told the Daily News Tuesday night. "It is our responsibility to work with the leadership of New York/New Jersey to make this event successful. We will work to make it a great event for the NFL, the community and the fans."

The biggest game in the biggest city. Dress warmly.

gmyers@nydailynews.com

Plenty of owners didn't want New York Super Bowl

Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2010 5:02 AM ET

Lost in the unbridled enthusiasm that emerged once NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell made like the late Juan Antonio Samaranch and awarded Super Bowl XLVIII to New York/New Jersey is the fact that a sizable chunk of the league's owners didn't want it.

The rapid-fire four-round voting process, which occurred so quickly that it's unlikely anyone changed their minds, failed through three segments to conjure a 24-vote Super Bowl supermajority for New York. In the end, as many as 15 of 32 owners voted against New York.

Given the inability of New York only minutes before getting at least 17 votes to land 24, it means that at least nine owners were opposed.

So, basically, anywhere from nine to 15 owners didn't want the game to be played in New York/New Jersey. (Some would say that there's a, yes, schism among ownership on this point.)

In the end, maybe I'm focusing on this point because we (or at least I) believe the league is playing Russian roulette with an American institution. But the conscious and deliberate risk that at least 17 but no more than 23 owners are willing to take will serve only to increase interest in what will be the most anticipated Super Bowl ever.

Permalink 2 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, Miami Dolphins, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, New York Giants, New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories

Politi: Super Bowl in N.J. can be best ever, no matter what critics say

By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist

May 26, 2010, 6:00AM

super-bowl-bid-fans-reax-times-square-19f55e54522bfefa_large.jpgAristide Economopoulos/The Star-LedgerIn Times Square, Bill Lenon, left, Kimberly Bianca, Victoria Zangen, Tiana Checchia, and Javone Beverly react with others to the Super Bowl announcement.Prepare yourselves, people: The rest of the country is convinced that a Super Bowl in New Jersey will be a cold, sloppy, grumpy failure.

They think we have too much traffic. They think our metro area will swallow up the pre-game events.

They think people here

Apple fans all feeling Super

By BART HUBBUCH in Irving, Texas and LAURIE KAMENS & DAN MANGAN in NY

Last Updated: 7:29 AM, May 26, 2010

Posted: 3:23 AM, May 26, 2010

Comments: 16 | More icon_print.gif Print

The NFL sent its regards to Broadway yesterday, awarding New York the right to host the 2014 Super Bowl in the new Giants-Jets Meadowlands stadium.

The league's owners made history and a big statement in voting to let the Big Apple host its first-ever Super Bowl -- it will be the first time the game is played outdoors in a cold-weather city.

"It's about damned time!" crowed Bronx resident Lorelei Gliatta, 48, a Jets fan who was among the throng in Times Square watching NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's announcement on the Jumbotron.

"I hope I get tickets, though," she quipped.

fans--300x300.jpg NY Post: Chad Rachman

PAY DIRT! Fans in Times Square whoop it up yesterday after watching New York being awarded the 2014 Super Bowl over the Jumbotron.

Photos: Cold weather games at Meadowlands

SAD-SACKED NJ MAYOR: WE'LL GET $HUT OUT

SERBY: TOP TOWN DESERVES ICE BOWL

PHOTOS: COLD WEATHER GAMES AT THE MEADOWLANDS

It took NFL owners four secret ballots to decide, but the Giants' and Jets' proposal to be co-hosts of the biggest game in sports froze out competing bids by veteran hosts Tampa and South Florida to snatch Super Bowl XLVIII.

"I want to thank the NFL owners for having the confidence in our ability to host this game, and the guts to make some history," said exultant Giants co-owner John Mara after the vote in Irving, Texas.

Super Bowl XLVIII is tentatively scheduled to kick off -- most likely in the freezing cold, possibly in snowfall -- on Feb. 2, 2014, in the new, $1.6 billion stadium in East Rutherford that will open this season.

The Super Bowl could pump $500 million into the metro-New York economy, according to some estimates.

The vote was a clear nod of appreciation to the Giants and Jets for building a state-of-the-art, 82,500-seat stadium without having tapped public funds.

It also overcame a longstanding bias for placing Super Bowls in warm-weather venues. Feb. 2 has a historical average high temperature of just 39 degrees, an average low of 25 degrees, and average snowfall of about a half-inch.

"I was born in New Brunswick, NJ, and I'm a Jersey boy, so to speak, so to bring something like this and to be involved with something this big is a tremendous thing for all people who live in our area," said Jets owner Woody Johnson.

Giants treasurer Jonathan Tisch, whose father, Robert, co-owned the Giants with Wellington Mara until they both died in 2005, choked up in tears as he said, "I know that both of them would be so proud."

"Are we happy?" Mayor Bloomberg yelled to the crowd in Times Square. "Another great day!"

"The biggest game in the world is coming to the biggest stage," Bloomberg said. "If it snows, it snows. This isn't beach volleyball -- it's football, for God's sake."

The mayor -- who yesterday unveiled a sign renaming a stretch of West 48th Street "Super Bowl XLVIII Way" -- also said the city welcomed the chance to host its share of a worldwide event and noted the Sept. 11 attacks.

"America came to the rescue of New York, and that's something I think that New Yorkers have never forgotten," Bloomberg said. "This is a little bit of our chance to say thank you."

State economic development chief Peter Davidson told The Post that the under-construction Barclays Center in Brooklyn will be added to the list of venues hosting Super Bowl-week gala events, including the Javits Center and the James A. Farley Post Office.

The Jets' Johnson wasted no time in raising the possibility of a Jets-Giants championship game in four years.

"We'll try to be in that Super Bowl together," Johnson said, turning to Jonathan Tisch. "Am I right?"

Even if the Giants or Jets don't make it to the 2014 Super Bowl, their season-ticket holders that season won't be shut out. NFL officials confirmed that each club will hold a drawing to sell a limited number of Super Bowl XLVIII tickets -- likely fewer than 1,000 per team -- to their respective 2013 season-ticket holders.

Additional reporting by Steve Serby and Rich Calder

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nfl_to_ny_qjlsBq0IRo1olRhWLaJpVM?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0p2XdAaLx

NY Jets excited about 2014 Super Bowl announcement

May 26, 6:36 AMgreydot.gifNew York Jets Examinergreydot.gifTyson Rauch

Previous

tinytweets.gif tinyfb.gif Comment printer.gif email.gif feed.gif subscribe.gif Subscribe locationclose.gif

Subscribe

Get alerts when there is a new article from the New York Jets Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use. Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com

Terms of Use

ShareThis

resized_woody1.jpg

Woody Johnson smiles after the 2014 announcement

Tony Gutierrez/AP

On Tuesday the NFL owners approved the New York Jets and Giants bid to have the 2014 Super Bowl in the new Meadowlands stadium. The Jets were quick to have some members of their organization release statements on newyorkjets.com and they are as follows:

Head Coach Rex Ryan : "To me it

Jets on the 2014 SB in Their New Home? Cool

Published: Tue, May 25, 2010 - 5:44pm ET

randy_lange_headshot_81x63.jpg?1177529599By Randy Lange

Lange is editor-in-chief of newyorkjets.com. He covered the Jets for 13 years for The Record of Hackensack, N.J.

File Under: Mike Tannenbaum, Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Rex Ryan, Santonio Holmes, Super Bowl, Nick Sanchez, 2014

change font email article

Real Player Not Found

Sorry. You do not have RealPlayer installed or your version is out-of-date.

Click here to install the latest RealPlayer so you can enjoy Jets multimedia.

real_logo.gif

05/25

Jets, Giants celebrate historic win

May, 26, 2010 May 26

8:52

AM ET

Email Print Share

By Rich Cimini

Now comes the victory lap.

Team officials from the Jets and Giants, along with a host of publicity-seeking politicians, will participate in a news conference at 11 o'clock Wednesday morning at the New Meadowlands Stadium. The purpose, of course, is to celebrate their victory over Tampa and South Florida in the battle for the 2014 Super Bowl.

As far as the Jets are concerned, it was their first win over South Florida (see: Miami) since ... well, since that gray gunglinger (name escapes me) beat the Dolphins in the 2008 opener down in Sun Life Stadium (or whatever they're calling it these days).

The news conference will be attended by Jets owner Woody Johnson, Giants co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch, governors of New York and New Jersey and head coaches Rex Ryan and Tom Coughlin. Basically, this will be a photo op that allows everybody to beat their chest.

In other words, it'll be right up Ryan's alley.

On Thursday, it's back to OTAs.

New York Super Bowl 2014: Why Roger Goodell Must Be Replaced

n1252819184_1713_original_small.jpg?1259898478 by Mike Allen

Correspondent Written on May 26, 2010

95677932_cropped.jpg?1274894843 Ronny Hartmann/Getty Images

Results - Author Poll

Do you agree with the NFL's Decision To Hold the 2014 Super Bowl in NY/NJ?

• Yes

63.6%

• No

9.1%

• Who cares, my teams always sucks and they will never get to a Super Bowl.

0.0%

• Only if the teams are required to play in snowshoes

0.0%

• The blizzard of 2014 will be remembered as the one that cancelled the Super Bowl

0.0%

• Yes, because Roger Goodell is gay and I am his boyfriend

9.1%

• No, because I hate football. I prefer quilting.

18.2%

• Who gives a damn.

0.0%

• Total votes: 11

Share with your friends

The NFL announced late Tuesday that it has awarded the 2014 Super Bowl to New York/New Jersey to be played in the new uncovered and un-domed stadium built for the New York Giants and Jets.

This is yet one more absolutely dumb move made by NFL commissioner Roger "Jets" Goodell (a former Jets employee and son of former New York senator Charles Goodell) since he took charge in 2006.

Having it in a domed stadium in the northern tier, like we saw with Detroit for Super Bowl XL is bad enough, but in an uncovered stadium, they are asking for

Archived