Mehta | Kyle Wilson leans on brother for support

rick34125

New York Jets rookie Kyle Wilson leans on brother for support, marketing as part of NFL trend

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_wilson_beverly.jpg

Courtesy of Gerry Wilson

Gerry Wilson (l. to right), former Jets DB Randy Beverly, Jets first-round pick Kyle Wilson and Vincent Wilson pose in May.

Below, Vincent (l. to right)

and Gerry sit with Kyle as children.

amd_wilson_children.jpg

Courtesy of Gerry Wilson

amd_kyle_wilson.jpg

Yasukawa/The Star-Ledger

The Boise State product hopes to make an immediate impact on Rex Ryan's defense.

He had been there for six minutes, sitting at the table by the window, wondering when the stranger would show up.

Waiting was a waste of time.

So, he sent a text message, a gentle reminder to accelerate the process: "I'm here. I ordered. What would you like?"

He was working on four hours of sleep, as usual, refreshed and sharp, part Ivy Man, part Every Man. He looked like a college kid ready for freshman orientation in his favorite new Jets T-shirt, shorts and sneakers.

No matter how many times Gerry Wilson II insists he's simply "the guy behind the scenes," his influence on Jets' first-round pick Kyle Wilson reflects a burgeoning trend in the NFL. From screening prospective agents to maximizing the rookie cornerback's marketing potential, Gerry, 32, serves as his younger brother's business manager.

Mark Sanchez's oldest brother, Nick, similarly oversees the Jets' franchise quarterback's endorsement opportunities. Tight end Dustin Keller leans on his brother, Drew, to manage business ventures. Tim Tebow's brother, Robby, coordinates marketing initiatives for the Denver Broncos' rookie signal-caller.

"Nobody looks after you like your older brother," Kyle Wilson says. "Pretty much any major decision I have to make, I run it by him. He's got my best interest at heart."

Gerry is a filter for the rookie cornerback, searching for ways to best maximize Kyle's brand, so that the former Boise State star can focus on football. He's an efficient, one-man tour de force, balancing his brother's needs with his own consulting business and online start-up ventures.

The self-described "curiously aggressive" entrepreneur with a mechanical and aerospace engineering degree from Princeton and MBA from MIT has used his blend of business acumen and street smarts to facilitate his brother's path into the league. His Twitter handle reflects his no-nonsense philosophy: Justfndoit.

"My whole job is to make people feel uneasy," Gerry says. "When they feel a little bit uneasy, you get the truth. You can sift through a lot of the nonsense. So, I like catching people off guard."

. . .

Chafie Fields had never seen anything like it.

For all the duplicity involved in the player-agent recruitment process, Gerry Wilson was a welcomed change. Fields and partner Joel Segal spoke to Gerry about a dozen times throughout Kyle's senior season before they even had a chance to talk to the cornerback in person.

"Gerry must have spoken to every agent in the country," Fields says, laughing.

He also spoke to Fields' clients on his own, digging up phone numbers and asking detailed questions during his vetting process. Gerry's thorough search came down to five groups that met with Kyle, who made the final decision, signing with Fields.

"You run into a lot of clowns," Fields says. "There are guys that claim to help these players, but generally they say if you give me this, you get the kid. To run into a guy who's running a real process and genuinely loves and cares about his brother is rare, but it's good to see. I wish everybody had Gerry."

Gerry's central role in his brother's life, of course, started long before Kyle reached the NFL. After graduate school, Gerry turned a routine Thanksgiving visit back to the family home in Piscataway, N.J., into a launching pad for his involvement in Kyle's football future.

When Kyle had no college scholarship offers, Gerry shelved his start-up business pursuit to comb through four years of Kyle's high school game tapes. The former Princeton cornerback created a highlight tape that was sent to the Top 50 programs in the country within a week.

He later categorized and labeled every play of Kyle's career at Boise State online and plans to do the same this year and beyond as he launches www.teamkdub.com.

Gerry raised his brother's profile by purchasing a 34-foot blue-and-orange RV emblazoned with images of the future first-rounder. The family logged more than 27,000 miles as they traveled to every Boise State game last year, a centerpiece attraction at tailgates.

"That's why I feel so integrated into the process," Gerry says. "I've seen his development unfold in front of my eyes. I was on the field playing and he was watching in the stands. Now, it's completely turned around."

. . .

Temptation beckoned, but Nick Sanchez made sure his kid brother didn't take the bait last season. The Yale-educated attorney, who helped negotiate Mark Sanchez's 5-year, $44.5 million rookie contract, advised against everything from late-night television appearances to Broadway cameos.

Nick's close relationship with his youngest brother allowed him to offer a candid point of view that the quarterback may not have necessarily initially agreed with.

"You can be the truth in a room full of veiled truths," Nick says. "You can really give him an insight and perspective that others might be unwilling to give. I'm always going to give it to him straight. He respects that. That's being a brother more than anything else. I think Gerry and Kyle have that same type of relationship."

A year later, Mark Sanchez admits his brother's career counseling was "worth its weight in gold" and was an invaluable help in his transition to the NFL.

Kyle Wilson is quickly coming to the same conclusion, leaning on someone without ulterior motives. It's a relationship built on unconditional trust.

So, no matter how many billable hours he's piled up through the years, Gerry Wilson refuses to charge the soon-to-be multi-millionaire Jets rookie for his services. Volunteer work has never been more rewarding.

Besides ...

"No matter what Kyle's contract is," the big brother says with a smile, "he can't afford me."

TeamKDUB.com is launching July 19, 2010.

7KodZ_JiorY

Archived