Cimini: The Rex Report--Lets Talk Football

flgreen

The Rex Report: Let's talk football

August, 11, 2010 Aug 113:01PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiWhen he wasn't trying to play mediator in the Darrelle Revis standoff, Rex Ryan actually discussed some football Wednesday in his news conference.

Among the highlights:

1. One day after saying recently-signed QB Mark Brunell is "pretty much a lock" for the No. 2 job, Ryan admitted that it was "pretty much pre-determined" that Brunell would be Mark Sanchez's primary backup. In other words, the so-called competition between Brunell and Kellen Clemens was a charade. Clemens can't be happy about that.

2. The Jets ran a league-high 607 times last season. That won't happen this year. Said Ryan: "I don't think you'll see us running 600 times, but I still think we're built to be Ground and Pound."

3. Ryan praised RB Shonn Greene for improving his pass-protection skills. He said Greene is doing a better job of facing up pass rushers and recognizing blitz situations, and "that will be important if he's the bellcow."

4. Ryan said the most impressive player on defense -- are you ready for this? -- is rookie CB Kyle Wilson. No knock against Wilson, but he hasn't been that good. But methinks Ryan's gushing may have something to do with a certain All-Pro cornerback not being in camp.

5. The coach on Sanchez: "I think he's doing great. He has a better grasp of our system and what defenses are giving to him. He's being accurate with the football."

6. Sanchez's father, Nick, a recently-retired firefighter from Orange County (Calif.), has been watching practice the last few days. He's a classy gentleman, enormously proud of his son's accomplishments. Said Ryan: "He gets to do what every dad would love to do -- chase his son around and watch him play ... It's every man's dream."

Archived