Jets News 8-18

flgreen

Ryan's dad rips Dungy

Jets BlogBy MIKE BATTAGLINO

Last Updated: 4:05 AM, August 18, 2010

Posted: 3:10 AM, August 18, 2010

Comments: 0 | More Print

Buddy Ryan has some choice words for Tony Dungy.

After Dungy, the former Colts coach, said he wouldn't ever hire Jets coach Rex Ryan due to his foul language, Buddy came to the defense of his son yesterday.

"I don't think he applied for a job with what's his name, either," the 76-year-old former Eagles coach told 97.5 The Fanatic radio in Philadelphia.

Rex Ryan has drawn criticism for his use of profanity in last week's premiere of HBO's "Hard Knocks," which unveils episode two tonight. Asked about Dungy's idea that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should tell Rex to tone it down, Buddy replied, "It's none of Dungy's business.

"The commissioner can do anything he wants to and I think he'll take the appropriate action," Buddy said. "I think it's being blown way out of perspective."

Besides, Buddy said Rex already heard from the ultimate judge.

"I read in the paper that his mother said he needed his mouth washed out with soap, so I thought that covered it pretty good," Buddy said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ryan_dad_rips_dungy_VkWwks0GYyUPbnG8R7nvSN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0wxqKeP4o

Pelzman: the 'ultimate home-field advantage'

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Last updated: Wednesday August 18, 2010, 7:52 AM

The Record

During the first quarter Monday night, a false fire alarm sounded during the first football game at New Meadowlands Stadium. It eventually stopped, but somehow it helped short out the public address system for a while, which meant no announcements of plays and no blaring music during timeouts.

Well, at least there was a positive aspect to the glitch.

It was that kind of night in East Rutherford, as the new stadium was showcased on national television in the Giants’ 31-16 preseason victory over the Jets. And while there are some bugs that still need to be ironed out (such as spotty cellphone service for the media in the press box, which led to some heavily delayed tweets), the Jets’ players certainly seemed pleased.

"It’s definitely going to be the ultimate home-field advantage," Jets linebacker Calvin Pace said. "I like the fact that the fans were right there on top of us."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez agreed, saying, "The fans are right on you in that little section right there. ... It was great to see the whole stadium lit up in green and we’ll be excited to play here every home game."

It truly is not another Giants Stadium. The 82,000 seats, all some variation of (ugh) gray, attest to that. Of course, that was done in the interest of neutrality, although something more colorful that isn’t red or blue or green would’ve been nice.

The signage inside the stadium easily can be flipped to reflect the colors of the Jets and Giants. And Giants Stadium certainly didn’t have anything like the 20,000-square-foot Coaches Club for the high-end crowd, where fans can watch the game from field level for three or so hours, then turn around and watch Rex Ryan deliver his postgame remarks to reporters inside a glass-enclosed interview room. A little claustrophobic for the media, perhaps, but an interesting behind-the-scenes peek for the public.

However, that interaction may not be so good if things turn sour. One fan yelled, "Go get ’em, Rex," as the coach walked by Monday night, but that same person wouldn’t be as enthusiastic after a regular-season defeat.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

During the first quarter Monday night, a false fire alarm sounded during the first football game at New Meadowlands Stadium. It eventually stopped, but somehow it helped short out the public address system for a while, which meant no announcements of plays and no blaring music during timeouts.

Well, at least there was a positive aspect to the glitch.

It was that kind of night in East Rutherford, as the new stadium was showcased on national television in the Giants’ 31-16 preseason victory over the Jets. And while there are some bugs that still need to be ironed out (such as spotty cellphone service for the media in the press box, which led to some heavily delayed tweets), the Jets’ players certainly seemed pleased.

"It’s definitely going to be the ultimate home-field advantage," Jets linebacker Calvin Pace said. "I like the fact that the fans were right there on top of us."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez agreed, saying, "The fans are right on you in that little section right there. ... It was great to see the whole stadium lit up in green and we’ll be excited to play here every home game."

It truly is not another Giants Stadium. The 82,000 seats, all some variation of (ugh) gray, attest to that. Of course, that was done in the interest of neutrality, although something more colorful that isn’t red or blue or green would’ve been nice.

The signage inside the stadium easily can be flipped to reflect the colors of the Jets and Giants. And Giants Stadium certainly didn’t have anything like the 20,000-square-foot Coaches Club for the high-end crowd, where fans can watch the game from field level for three or so hours, then turn around and watch Rex Ryan deliver his postgame remarks to reporters inside a glass-enclosed interview room. A little claustrophobic for the media, perhaps, but an interesting behind-the-scenes peek for the public.

However, that interaction may not be so good if things turn sour. One fan yelled, "Go get ’em, Rex," as the coach walked by Monday night, but that same person wouldn’t be as enthusiastic after a regular-season defeat.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Aug 188:43AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiGood morning from Cortland, N.Y. After a day off, the New York Jets are back here for the final leg of their away-from-home training camp. There are two practices today, 8:20 and 4:00 (special teams). The early news: C Nick Mangold, who sat out the pre-season opener Monday because of a headache, is in full uniform, practicing.

Mangold was held out of the game as a precaution, after complaining of a headache a few days after absorbing a blow to the helmet in practice.

The Jets will be in Cortland Wednesday and Thursday, then head home to Florham Park, N.J.

Jets not happy with performance of reserve defenders against Giants

Published: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 7:00 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

Tony Kurdzuk/The Star-LedgerThe Giants' Victor Cruz makes a one-handed catch over Dwight Lowery and runs the ball in for his first of three touchdowns against the Jets Monday night.

Share In the postgame locker room following Monday night’s preseason opener against the Giants, Dwight Lowery couldn’t give a frame-by-frame of how and why the play happened.

But the Jets cornerback remembered enough to be frustrated: He was covering Giants receiver Victor Cruz on the left sideline. He saw the ball coming and he went for it. He wound up on the ground, while the undrafted rookie trotted off for a 64-yard touchdown.

On the replay, it looked as if Cruz pushed down on Lowery’s face mask with his right hand, while catching the pass with his left — but that didn’t matter to the third-year player.

“Regardless of what was shown on the replay, I had the chance to make a play, and I didn’t,” Lowery said. “Those are plays that I’m accustomed to making throughout my career in this league, and it’s frustrating that those plays aren’t being made.”

His feelings echoed those of coach Rex Ryan, who said he was happy with the first-team defense in the Jets’ 31-16 loss — but disappointed with the reserves.

Those backups helped Cruz become a trending topic on Twitter — surrendering three touchdown catches and 145 yards receiving to the former Paterson Catholic receiver — and also allowing three passes for 42 yards to fellow receiver Derek Hagan.

It’s an issue brought into focus by the absence of All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis — who is locked in a contract impasse with the Jets — bumping each of the cornerbacks up one spot in Ryan’s corner-reliant system.

“They did a good job playing backyard bombardier on you,” Ryan said of the Giants. “Playing the one-on-one matchups, back-shoulder fades, they put a clinic on us. We clearly have a lot of work to do, with our backups in particular.”

Cruz’s second touchdown came on a Jets defensive breakdown, when Ryan said the inside linebacker didn’t stick with the vertical hook route, so the safety had to cover the tight end instead of playing over top the cornerback. Cruz released from cornerback Drew Coleman and raced for the 34-yard score.

He had one more touchdown in him, the 5-yard back-shoulder fade Ryan referenced, against cornerback Marquice Cole.

Lowery has been very honest about his play and his role on the Jets, even approaching his position coach last week about having first-round pick Kyle Wilson take reps with the first team ahead of him.

He had one nice breakup on a pass to Hagan, but it was clear the touchdown — plus another 21-yard catch when he allowed Cruz to adjust his route and come back for the pass — weighed on him.

“Plays are there for me to make, and I’m just not coming down with them,” Lowery said. “I don’t know what it is. Maybe I need more work at doing certain things at that position. It could be a combination of things, so we’ll see.”

The Jets intend to use Lowery in an “X” role, a versatile hybrid who can move all over the field, but in Revis’ absence he’s the third cornerback in the nickel package. Cole and Coleman each move up, too.

As Ryan said, the reserve defenders will get back to work, starting today when the team is back on the field in Cortland, N.Y. Starter Antonio Cromartie, whom Ryan said he was pleased with, is eyeing improvements, too.

Cromartie couldn’t hold on for two would-be interceptions — one on a nice play when he undercut receiver Hakeem Nicks’ route — prompting Ryan to kid with him afterward that the Jets are “not getting our money’s worth.”

Cromartie said he felt comfortable in his first game with the Jets after being traded from San Diego, and also thought Wilson handled himself well starting on the other side. But he’d like to have those two plays back.

“I should have had them,” he said. “I’ve just got to focus on it more and look the ball in. I can’t try to run before I catch the ball.”

NOTES

QB Kellen Clemens delivered a strong performance against the Giants, completing 7 of 10 passes for 84 yards with no interceptions.

“I was told, ‘Hey, we’re going to give you a shot early on in the game, and see what you can do,' ” Clemens said.

WR Larry Taylor, used on punt and kick returns, recognizes that is his best chance of making the roster.

“If I’m going to be able to make this ballclub,” he said, “it’s got to be through special teams.”

RB LaDainian Tomlinson well outnumbered Shonn Greene in the number of snaps he took with the first-team offense.

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Sanchez bounces back nicely from mistake

By Dennis Waszak Jr. • The Associated Press • August 18, 2010

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Mark Sanchez let his first pass of the game fly — and watched it get tipped into a defender's hands.

Not exactly the preseason debut the Jets' quarterback wanted.

"Oh, man," Sanchez said. "I don't think you can script a worse start on the first play of your second season."

Sanchez threw toward LaDainian Tomlinson into double coverage on the Jets' second play from scrimmage Monday night in their 31-16 loss to the Giants. The ball deflected off the running back's arm and right to Antrel Rolle, who returned it 59 yards before being tackled at the 1 by Dustin Keller.

Related

Rothstein loving life in the fast lane

"It wasn't the best ball in the world to L.T.," Sanchez said. "I put it on his back shoulder and I've got to lead him with the ball — especially balls like that over the middle, so they don't get tipped up from poor accuracy."

Three plays later, Brandon Jacobs ran the ball in and gave the Giants an early 7-0 lead.

It was reminiscent of Sanchez's first preseason start last year against Baltimore, when he forced a pass — also on the Jets' second play — that was intercepted by lineman Haloti Ngata, who rumbled 25 yards for a touchdown with 52 seconds elapsed.

But instead of beating himself up on the sideline this time, Sanchez couldn't wait to get back to work.

"I think that's part of his maturity process from last year to this year," fullback Tony Richardson said. "Last year, he'd get a little down on himself. He came to the sideline, talked about it, and moved on to the next play and played great football."

Sanchez bounced back nicely, finishing 13 for 17 for 119 yards, including a 4-yard touchdown pass to Brad Smith, in two mostly sharp quarters. He also showed no signs of being tentative in his first game since having the patella-stabilizing ligament in his left knee repaired in February.

"I think he was a little anxious, ready to go out and have some fun," wide receiver Santonio Holmes said. "But he calmed down a little bit after that and got this offense rolling."

(2 of 2)

Sanchez went through his share of growing pains as a rookie, throwing 20 interceptions and making plenty of mistakes. His body language often did nothing to mask his frustration.

"I think last year, I would've been down in the dumps," Sanchez said. "This year, I feel like things will just turn around, no big deal."

More than a year in the system has Sanchez's confidence soaring, and he has had a solid summer. Good thing, too, since much of the Jets' Super Bowl hopes hinge on how well Sanchez plays in his second season.

"He came in and did what we expected him to do," coach Rex Ryan said. "He's looked outstanding all through training camp, and tonight was no different."

Related

Sanchez has endeared himself to his teammates by acting more like a 10-year veteran than a second-year player. He sets the tone on the practice field and in the locker room with his competitive nature.

"I don't care if you're playing that sucker in dominoes or hopscotch or whatever, he wants to win," Richardson said. "He's never lost. I mean, everywhere he's been, he's been a winner."

So when Sanchez struggled through a rough stretch in the middle of last season, his teammates had to remind him that he was still learning — and mistakes were expected.

"You're going to have some bad plays and games that just don't go your way," Richardson said. "It's just a matter of how you pick yourself up and move forward."

Just as Sanchez did late last season, when he was terrific in the playoffs. He threw four touchdown passes — more than he had in his last six regular-season games combined — and just two interceptions.

After his first errant pass Monday night, Sanchez marched the Jets on a 14-play drive that was capped by the touchdown pass to Smith.

"He was throwing the ball all over the place, making good checks and did a great job," Keller said. "I think that's more of the offense that we are."

Sanchez followed by leading the offense on drives that ended in field goals on the Jets' next two possessions.

"I wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to force anything after that (interception), like, OK, now I need a really good play because I messed something up," Sanchez said. "That wasn't going through my head. It was just staying sharp, going through my progressions, checking it down when I needed to, and letting the other guys do the hard work. I think I did that."

Asomugha out to reclaim title as NFL's best corner

NAPA, Calif. (AP) -- While Darrelle Revis continues his holdout with the New York Jets in hopes of a new contract befitting a player many think is the best cornerback in the NFL, Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha is working on taking that title back.

The Raiders finally appear willing to let him, too.

After being tethered almost exclusively to the right side of Oakland's secondary, the two-time Pro Bowl defensive back is getting his freedom and will roam the field covering opponents' top receiver no matter where he lines up.

It's a change in strategy and philosophy for the Raiders and the man-to-man coverages favored by owner Al Davis, a change the 29-year-old Asomugha fully embraces.

"Every year there are times when it happens but this year I just think it will happen more because we're doing it (in practice) more and they're allowing it to happen more," Asomugha said this week. "Me being able to play in the slot on third down ... I've wanted that for a while."

Asomugha was widely recognized as the top defensive back in the league when he grabbed a career-high eight interceptions in 2006 and garnered his first Pro Bowl selection. Opponents became so frustrated they nearly quit throwing to Asomugha's side of the field entirely.

In 2009, quarterbacks attempted only 28 passes in Asomugha's direction compared to 111 for Revis. The lack of action cemented Asomugha's reputation in the eyes of some but created doubt among others.

That's why the eight-year veteran is welcoming his new role after flirting with it periodically throughout his career.

"There are so many times when I feel like I'm having the game of my life and no one knows it," Asomugha said. "That's rough. No one sees it. The offenses see it, the people that watch film see it but the fans don't see it."

Not that Asomugha is motivated by public opinion, though he could easily make a career change and enter politics if he wanted. He has rubbed elbows with presidents and other world dignitaries, is a mentor to teens and is deeply involved in numerous charity and volunteer efforts in the Bay Area.

Asomugha is also the face of Oakland's defense. While Richard Seymour has the championships and Tommy Kelly has the money, it's Asomugha who commands the most respect on and off the field.

Still, there are many who believe Revis is the better cornerback. His current holdout was reportedly sparked by his desire to get a better contract than the $45.3 million, three-year deal Asomugha received in 2009.

Asomugha has stayed above the fray when it comes to talk of him and Revis. Instead, he's focused on his new role and trying to help the Raiders snap out of a seven-year funk that coincided with Asomugha's arrival as a first-round pick out of Cal in 2003.

"Some of it is just being able to get him comfortable on both sides because of all the slot formations and corner over (the top)," Oakland coach Tom Cable said. "Some of it has to do with him maybe lining up on the best receiver."

Asomugha has matched up against opponents' top receivers periodically throughout his career. Last season he held Denver's Brandon Marshall without a catch in the first half before the Raiders altered their coverages in the second half. He also held Baltimore's Derek Mason to one catch in their season-ending matchup.

The Raiders hope he can do more of that this season now that he'll be shadowing opponents' top receiver.

"We're doing more things, and I love it," Asomugha said. "I've been inside, I've been outside, both sides. It looks like it won't be a thing that's selective based off who we're playing. It's just going to be a thing that we can do whenever we want ... and that's great. It gets me more involved."

Notes: DE Jay Richardson had arthroscopic surgery on his injured knee Tuesday. Cable said he would have an update Wednesday on when Richardson might be able to return. ... Backup QB Charlie Frye will undergo a "procedure" on his injured right wrist Wednesday, Cable said.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New York Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins shakes the rust off in preseason debut against Giants

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 4:00 AM

Perlman/The Star-LedgerNew York Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins plays in three series in the preseason opener Monday night against the Giants at the New Meadowlands Stadium. Related NewsWith Jenkins out, Pouha must step inRex's challenge: Block that fatJenkins to participate in June minicampSuper Bowl talk dominates first day of Jets campRex continues to credit Revis despite holdoutSanchez, Revis-less 'D' keys against Giants

Nose tackle Kris Jenkins, coming back from a season-ending knee injury, played in the first three series of the Jets' 31-16 exhibition loss to the Giants Monday night before getting in a few snaps in the second quarter. "I'm shaking rust off," he said. "I can't complain about it. It's definitely a big step in the right direction."

After playing his starters for the entire first half, Rex Ryan admitted that the first-teamers will play for only one quarter in the second preseason game in Carolina Saturday. The coach wasn't thrilled with his second-team defense, which gave up 21 points, 256 yards and 10 first downs in the second half. The Giants' yards per play jumped from 3.7 in the first half to 10.2 after intermission.

"That wasn't a step in the right direction as far as closing the game or making sure that we put teams away," Jenkins said. "It's something that we're definitely looking forward to correcting this week. We need to go into this next week with Carolina a little bit more serious."

Giants will sell single-game tickets without PSLs

Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2010 10:02 AM ET

Though the question of on-field New York City supremacy remains to be resolved via annual preseason games, a once-every-four-years regular-season contest, and possibly an eventual Subway (Sort Of) Super Bowl, the Giants have dominated the Jets in one specific area: the sales of Personal Seat Licenses at the new stadium they'll share.

While the Jets have struggled to sell PSLs covering less than the full stadium, the Giants supposedly sold out every single seat, despite the attachment of a PSL requirement to each one.

Apparently, that's not the case. Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports that the Giants will be selling single-game tickets without PSLs through Ticketmaster.

Though it's possible that the single-game tickets come from the 1,200 or so remaining premium seats with PSLs that hadn't sold, the fact that a guy who bought his tickets without a PSL could be sitting next to someone who surely paid plenty of pretty pennies for a premium-seat PSL will create potential P.R. problems for the Giants.

The team has not yet addressed the situation. What the Giants say will go a long way toward shaping the overall reaction to the unexpected move.

Either way, the availability of non-PSL single-game tickets means that the Giants haven't won the battle of the box office as handily as it previously appeared.

Jets coach Rex Ryan thinks Tony Dungy 'unfairly judged me' over use of profanity

Published: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 12:40 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 1:08 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

`Tony Kurdzuk/The Star-LedgerRex Ryan said he called Tony Dungy and invited him to spend a day with the Jets organization.

Share CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan said he has always been "a big admirer" of former NFL coach Tony Dungy. But he was surprised by Dungy's recent criticism of Ryan's use of profanity.

"I felt that he unfairly judged me," the Jets coach said today. "And that was disappointing to me."

Ryan's cursing drew national attention after the Jets' debut on HBO's "Hard Knocks" last Wednesday. The day after, Ryan said he received a phone call from his mother.

But he didn't expect Dungy to publicly take issue with his language. Dungy, now an NFL analyst for NBC, said recently on The Dan Patrick Show it would be "hard for me to be around" such frequent use of profane language and that if he were in charge, "I wouldn't hire somebody like that." Asked if he thought commissioner Roger Goodell should step in, Dungy said he hoped he would.

Ryan wasn't so much bothered by the recommendation that Goodell take action, but rather that he felt Dungy had judged him.

He said he left a phone message for Dungy with his phone number and anticipates a return call. Ryan invited Dungy to spend a day with him and the Jets organization to see what they are about.

"I think maybe he’ll have a different take on it," Ryan said.

Later, he added: "I'm always going to be myself, and I'm a good person. Just because somebody cusses or whatever doesn’t make them a bad person; just because a guy doesn’t cuss doesn’t make them a good person. So I'll stand by my merits."

The second episode of "Hard Knocks" airs at 10 tonight. Ryan said he didn't know if his curse tally is lower this week.

Lost In the Revis Saga is the True Anchor of The Jets Defense

by TJ Rosenthal / PFNYC Jets Insider

When NG Kris Jenkins was lost for the season with an ACL injury last year during the Jets dismal 16-13 OT loss at home to Buffalo on October 19, the Jets Defense went from monstrous to tough yet mortal. Jenkins had started the season as a terror in the middle, swallowing up opposing run games as they tried to exert their will on the ground in the middle of the field.

Returning now from a devastating injury that ended 2009 prematurely for one of the NFL's top Nose Guards, means freeing up some new Jet defensive ends in 2010. One player who reap the benefit of Jenkins return the aging but still athletic former Dolphin Jason Taylor. Perhaps the other side COULD see a surprise resurgence from long time Jet Sean Ellis or Rex Ryan's latest science project, converted LB now edge rusher Vernon Gholston. Vernon "The Ghost" is on his last stand as a Gang Green member after failing to measure up to being drafted sixth overall by the Jets in 2008. Attempting to allow Gholston to run free into opposing backfields may work if Jenkins keeps enough bodies locked up inside.

If not, there are always Ryan's blitz packages that will enjoy Jenkins presence. Packages that will include the versatile LB, outside edge rusher Calvin Pace, who left Giants quarterback Eli Manning looking like a victim of a blunt object used by the Iron Sheik back in a 1970's WWF match during the Jets Giants preseason and New Meadowlands opener on Monday.

This years first round pick Kyle Wilson, will also add speed to blitz packages in nickel and dime packages while Jenkiins blows up the middle, keeping fullbacks and guards occupied.

As for all world CB Darrelle Revis, holding out for security after witnessing first hand, the Jets brass treatment of loyal fan favorite RB Leon Washington (now with Seattle after getting breaking his leg and missing half of 2009 out in Oakland last season during an underpaid contract year), the landscape has changed somewhat. A complete shut down cornerback may not be as vital as it was when Jenkins went out in 2009. Perhaps the Jets could still succeed in shutting teams down on defense thanks to the additions of two players. Long armed playmaking CB Antonio Cromartie brings a ball hawking style to a press coverage minded defense while the athletic Wilson, lacking experience but not athleticism sits across from Cro Mart.

While these two new corners who weren't Jets in 2009, it's a step up already from current Jets backup CBs Dwight Lowry and Drew Coleman, who both shared starter's time last year with the recently departed riverboat gambling Lito Shepphard. The NEW pair of Cro Mart and Wilson improve a secondary that was set to fly WITH Revis, but may be asked to hold down the fort for the time being or longer. Jenkins back on the field will help make their jobs a lot easier.

For now Revis is still sitting out while his handlers to restructure a deal that allows Revis island a sense of market value. Whether that means a one year deal at an appropriate rate or a long term deal that erases the current contract locking up Revis for the next three years at what many feel is an unfair value for the league's top cover guy.

However, the Jets without Revis, for the time being, thanks to the addition of thanks to the return of Jenkins, can still be effective. Sacks will be on the rise should Jet edge rushers get single coverage with Jenkins back. Man coverage in general will have to occur for less time if opposing QB's are hurried more often due to Jenkins causing more single coverage on the outside.

This is not to say that Revis won't welcome back with open arms should a thawing out occur in the contract battle. Without Revis the Jets are a very good versatile unit. With #24 they can be great, impossible to move the ball on as number one receivers become invisible as they were against him in 2009.

Alot of the same however can be said regarding the affect Jenkins will have thanks to his re entry onto the scene. A guy who can turn this defense from very good to great. One who can positively affect so many other positions on the defense, allowing them to have more freedom, from both his presence and ability to dominate the middle all by himself.

Follow TJ Rosenthal on twittter @thejetreport

Back to Work for Two More Days in Cortland

Posted by Randy Lange on August 18, 2010 – 1:58 pm

Rex Ryan didn’t see anything from the game video on Tuesday that he didn’t see during the Jets’ preseason opener against the Giants the night before.

“It was basically what we thought it was,” the Jets head coach said at today’s news conference following this morning’s Return to Cortland full-squad training camp practice. “The first group looked dominant, the backups have got a long way to go.”

One of the ones Ryan was asked about was Kyle Wilson, the first-round rookie who got the start at cornerback. All things went well for Wilson, who had a solo tackle on the last play of the first quarter and gave up no plays in coverage to Eli Manning and his wideouts.

“Kyle? He’s giving it all to us,” Rex said. “He’s playing outside, inside. He’s doing a tremendous job, he’s very coachable, he’s taking as good notes as any rookie I’ve seen in a long time. He’s a rookie in experience and age, but he’s a veteran as far as his professionalism.”

Ryan also loves Nick Mangold’s professionalism, and he welcomed his center back to full practice with a clean bill of health after the Pro Bowler sat out a few practices and Monday’s game from his temple shot courtesy of Sione Pouha.

“After we got back up here, settled in, started meetings and everything, I felt normal again,” said the center. “At least Mangold normal.”

Mangold said he assumes he’ll start Saturday night at Carolina. Ryan didn’t say anything about that but repeated that his ones will play only the first quarter against the Panthers after going the first half against the Giants.

But Ryan thought he might take advantage of Mangold being a little off his game along with what he called “insider trading information.” The center proposed a friendly wager with his coach before the two-minute period began that the offense would kick a field goal to “win the game” on its drive. Rex knew that punter Steve Weatherford would be doing the placekicking for this period rather than Nick Folk.

“I said I’ll take that bet,” Ryan said. “No way our punter’s going to make that kick.” But Weatherford did come through from 40 yards out.

Weatherford was kicking in the morning with an eye toward saving Folk’s leg for the afternoon’s special-teams-only practice and beyond.

Ryan mentioned that a number of players missing from this morning’s practice — among them Bart Scott, Mike DeVito and Matt Mulligan — got passes from the coach because they “Iron Jet” winners from the offseason strength and conditioning program.

Also a healthy scratch for the first time in his career was guard Brandon Moore, who Ryan said got “a little stinger” in the game and got the practice off.

“As we all know, Brandon will never complain about anything but he’ll always complain about everything,” the coach said. “But when it comes to football and toughness, he never tries to get out of anything.”

“We were so happy for him that we figured it needed to be celebrated,” said Mangold, “so today is National Meat Day.” Meat, of course, is Moore’s nickname.

However, some other players didn’t participate because they were injured. LB Josh Mauga (concussion) came out but went back in with a headache and LB Brashton Satele (ankle) also stayed out. Among the FBs, Jason Conner (knee) and Jason Davis (ankle) sat. And S Donovan Warren left a little woozy from a hit and will be checked for a concussion.

Meanwhile, LB Lance Laury participated but with a bandage in his jaw/lower lip area.

“Lance got injured on the play that Eric Smith blocked that punt,” Rex said. “He dove for the ball and when he dove, his face hit the ground.”

At the end of his news conference, Rex was asked about remarks from Tony Dungy, the former Colts coach and current NBC analyst, in response to Ryan’s expletive-filled opening to last week’s “Hard Knocks.” Dungy said “I wouldn’t hire somebody like that” and said he hoped Commissioner Goodell would intervene to try to prevent any further language issues on the HBO series.

“I’ve been a big admirer of Tony Dungy and I’m sure a lot of people are,” Ryan said. “I felt he unfairly judged me and that’s disappointing to me.” But the coach added that he left a message for Dungy to call him and has extended an invitation for the former Super Bowl coach to visit him and the Jets at practice.

“I’m always going to be myself and I’m a good person,” Ryan said. “Just because somebody cusses and all that doesn’t make him a bad person. And just because a guy doesn’t cuss doesn’t make him a good person.”

A.M. Practice Notes

Kenwin Cummings, who led the Jets with six second-half tackles at ILB, got the start with the ones today alongside David Harris, with Scott sitting out. … And rookie Vlad Ducasse also got the nod with the first O-line, with Matt Slauson flipping to RG to replace Moore. … Slauson and D-lineman Matt Kroul got into a skirmish during 1-on-1 line drills. … DE Shaun Ellis and G Rob Turner exchange words as well.

S Jim Leonhard picked up a sack of Mark Sanchez after the QB had gone 3-for-3 in moving the offense during 11-on-11 work. … WR Laveranues Coles made an outstanding one-handed grab of a Mark Brunell pass for the second offense in the two-minute period. But then Vernon Gholston, who had some nice penetration on a couple of plays against the Giants, gets the sack of Brunell to end the twos’ drive.

Aug 181:38PM ETEmail Print Comments By Jane McManusYes, Rex Ryan could see that Darrelle Revis makes a difference in the Jets defense. Maybe it wasn’t obvious to start, but by the time the third string was on the field, the Jets depth at corner was on display.

“I was happy with the way the ones played,” Ryan said. “Ones played great you can’t play much better than that with Revis or without. Obviously the backups guys are moved up a spot, everyone is. So yeah, if you have a guy that should be your 4th corner and he’s now your third or your second or whatever there’s always that ripple effect. But don’t feel sorry for us we’ve got plenty of talent here. I’ve won and been productive on defense with a heck of a lot less talent than this.”

TE Matthew Mulligan, DE Mike DeVito and LB Bart Scott got to sit out of practice for winning the Iron Jets award. They were voted winners by their teammates before training camp started. One of the several perks in to sit out a day of practice. As Ryan noted, there were only two days left.

Ryan was disappointed in the intensity on the field for the first practice.

“Probably as many false starts as I’ve seen in a long time.” Ryan said.

He allowed that some players may have been tired from the late Monday night game and return trip to Cortland. Ryan said there are going to be a lot of Thursday and night games in the Jets schedule so they have to be prepared to deal with time and travel.

“It can’t be an excuse to us,” Ryan said.

The Jets head to Carolina for a Saturday game. The first -string will only a play a quarter and that’s it.

Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse played to a draw on Monday, the competition at left guard continues. Ryan said he thought both players were able to do good things out there.

Ryan explained that RT Damien Woody wasn’t completely at fault when QB Mark Sanchez was sacked by Giants rookie DE Jason Pierre-Paul. The play allowed Woody the option of covering one of two defenders, but the signals got crossed and Woody was last to Pierre-Paul.

“We tried to make a call and it registered late,” Ryan said.

Archived