It's official: Mangold signed!

jgb

Mangold's contract makes him NFL's highest-paid center

The New York Jets signed All-Pro center Nick Mangold to a new contract Tuesday, and a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora the seven-year deal is worth $55 million and includes $22.5 million in guaranteed money.

The contract makes Mangold, a first-round draft pick in 2006, the highest paid center in NFL history. Mangold's deal will eclipse Jason Brown's deal with the St. Louis Rams, which is worth $37.5 million, including $20 million guaranteed.

"I'm glad I don't have to think about it anymore," said Mangold, who has played in the Pro Bowl twice during his first four seasons in the NFL. "It's exciting, and I look forward to where we can go with this (now that) I'm going to be here for a long time."

Mangold showed up for minicamp and training camp despite being unhappy with the lack of progress in his contract negotiations. He had one year left on his rookie deal.

"I had resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't getting done coming into camp," Mangold said. "Now that it is done, I haven't really wrapped my head around it yet."

With Mangold and tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson signed to new contracts, the attention returns to holdout cornerback Darelle Revis. Revis didn't report to training camp on Aug. 1, and it's uncertain when -- or if -- he will rejoin his teammates. Negotiations have remained confidential after things got snippy through the media.

"I haven't talked to him in a while," Mangold said. "It's not my place to talk to him, give him advice or anything like that. He's making decisions for himself. As a player, I have to respect what he has to do."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819fc78b/article/mangolds-contract-makes-him-nfls-highestpaid-center?module=HP_headlines

i see his guarantees are 100% for injury. obviously i am no expert but it seems that taking the skill guarantee is much better because it's relatively easy to purchase injury insurance. but what do I know?

J-E-T-S!

Archived