If You Were A Coach Who Would You Pick As Your Backup QB?

justonequestion

WHO would you pick   

2 members have voted

1. 1. who would you pick

• Kurt Rocco
    • Dan Whalen
    • neither

Cleveland is bringing 2 rookies to camp 1 will most likely get cut who would you keep

Kurt Rocco

Cleveland Gladiators think they've found a future with Kurt Rocco

The Cleveland Gladiators have one of the best quarterbacks in arena football history in John Dutton. Dutton had an amazing year in 2010; throwing for over 5,100 yards and 100 TDs. Dutton also turned 35 in September, leaving the Gladiators looking toward the future, and they think they have found it in former Mount Union quarterback Kurt Rocco.

Rocco has had quite an interesting career to this point. After starting just one year at Cincinnati's Roger Bacon high school, Rocco choose to attend Mount Union. Little did he know he'd be waiting three years behind the nation's twice top rated QB in Greg Micheli. But Rocco worked hard, stuck it out, and in 2009 got his shot.

"I knew I had to fill some big shoes following Greg [Micheli]", said Rocco. And Kurt did exactly that, setting the school record for passing yards in a season, while rotating offensive series with freshman Neal Seaman for the first three games.

"I think it was the Capital game that I really felt like I got my confidence and just starting playing the way I knew I could. Cecil [shorts] kept telling me stick with it and keep rolling."

That confidence helped the Raiders' QB to throw for 4,000 yards of total offense, and 42 TDs, while leading the nine-time national champions to the Stagg Bowl yet again.

Now the 6'5" Rocco has is taking the next step, taking on the arena game and again he will have big shoes to fill.

"I can't wait to work with John [Dutton], I know I can learn so much from him. He has so much experience and so many records."

The Gladiators are hoping that Rocco can learn fast, having only to two years of starting experience through college and high school.

"I know that may have scared some teams away, but I feel like when I did get on the field, it was my time to shine and I did pretty well. Hopefully I can just keep working and learning and getting better everyday."

One thing Rocco has for the arena game is great size and arm strength. Being a tall QB, playing on a 50-yard field should suite Rocco's attributes very well. But the desire may be is best quality.

"This is the first fall since second grade that I'm not playing football. I'm always watching games, reading plays and defenses, and I can't wait to get back on the field and play again."

Rocco and the Gladiators will open their season March 19 in Spokane, Washington.

Former Case QB Dan Whalen set to join Cleveland Gladiators of AFL

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Quarterback Dan Whalen, former standout at Case Western Reserve University, has been assigned to the Cleveland Gladiators by the Arena Football League for the 2011 season.

The transaction will be made official Friday.

Whalen and Kurt Rocco (Mount Union) are expected to compete for the No. 2 QB behind John Dutton, who returns for his second season in Cleveland. Dutton is one of the AFL's all-time greatest quarterbacks.

Whalen, a native of Willoughby, attended Willoughby South High School. He was a four-year starter at Case (2006-2009), amassing 9,720 yards on 742-of-1,229 passing and 87 touchdowns. Whalen exited as the school’s all-time leader in pass attempts, completions, yards and touchdown passes.

“I’m pretty excited to be able to come home and play here,” Whalen said. “To have the chance to be in training camp and compete to make the team, it’s a great opportunity. I have a lot of friends and family that are thrilled for me.”

During his tenure with the Spartans, Whalen compiled a 34-8 record as a starter. He led Case to 31 consecutive regular season victories, three straight perfect seasons (10-0, 3-0 UAA), three consecutive UAA titles and three straight NCAA postseasons.

“Dan’s college career was very impressive and he has all of the tools to make it as a professional quarterback,” Gladiators coach Steve Thonn said. “The Cleveland area is rich in football talent, and we are fortunate to be able to bring on a young man who has had local success at the high school and collegiate level.”

The Gladiators' season kicks off on the road March 19 against the defending ArenaBowl XXIII champion Spokane Shock. The Gladiators' home opener is April 2 against the Chicago Rush; kickoff is set for 4 p.m. at Quicken Loans Arena.

Gladiators: Whalen to compete for backup QB spot

Dan Whalen was ready to close the book on his football career.

Then on Thursday, the South grad and record-setting Case Western Reserve quarterback received good news. He finally has an opportunity to pursue a professional football career.

The Gladiators of the Arena Football League signed Whalen and will allow him to compete for the backup spot to starter John Dutton with former Mount Union quarterback Kurt Rocco.

"It's exciting because it's home, it's Cleveland," said Whalen. "If it were another team and it meant having to relocate, I'm not sure I would have done it. I'm just treating this as a great opportunity."

For Whalen, it's been a long road just to get this Arena League opportunity. He was named a Division III All-American as a senior, and Whalen, along with his agent, did his best to beat the odds and make it as a professional.

There weren't many takers, until the Gladiators called in November asking Whalen if he was interested in showcasing his skills in a private workout. He received another call this week, and the deal was finalized.

"To be honest, it was very frustrating," Whalen said about the past year. "It was a grueling process, and I thought it was pretty much over. I really wasn't looking when (the Gladiators originally called)."

Whalen reports for camp on Feb. 26, and he likes his chances. His mobility and experience in Case's quick-strike offense should serve him well adapting to the Arena League.

"I think I'll be OK," said Whalen. "It's about making quick decisions and moving around, which are my strengths. Now I've got to take advantage of this opportunity."

QB Whalen Assigned to Gladiators

02/04/2011 7:54 PM

CLEVELAND– The Cleveland Gladiators are pleased to announce that QB DAN WHALEN has been assigned to the team by the Arena Football League for the 2011 season.

Whalen (6-1, 195, Case Western Reserve University) is a native of Willoughby, Ohio and attended Willoughby South High School. He was a four-year starter at Case, where he amassed 9,720 yards on 742-of-1,229 passing and 87 touchdowns. Whalen graduated in 2009 as the school’s all-time leader in pass attempts, completions, yards and touchdown passes.

“Honestly, I’m pretty excited to be able to come home and play here,” Whalen said. “To have the chance to be in training camp and compete to make the team, it’s a great opportunity. I have a lot of friends and family that are thrilled for me.”

Whalen was a decorated player during his career at Case. He was named a first-team All-American following his senior season by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA). Whalen was also a two-time finalist for the Gagliardi Trophy (Division III Player of the Year) and a three-time University Athletic Association (UAA) Offensive Player of the Year.

During his tenure with the Spartans, Whalen compiled a 34-8 record as a starter. He led Case to 31 consecutive regular season wins, three straight perfect seasons (10-0, 3-0 UAA), three straight UAA titles and three straight NCAA postseasons over his four years.

“Dan’s college career was very impressive and he has all of the tools to make it as a professional quarterback,” Gladiators Head Coach Steve Thonn said. “The Cleveland area is rich in football talent, and we are fortunate to be able to bring on a young man who has had local success at the high school and collegiate level.”

The Gladiators 2011 season will kick off on the road against the defending ArenaBowl XXIII Champion Spokane Shock. The Gladiators home opener is set for SATURDAY, APRIL 2 versus the CHICAGO RUSH. Kickoff is set for 4:00 PM at Quicken Loans Arena. SINGLE-GAME TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW! For more information, visit the “NEW LOOK” www.clevelandgladiators.com or call 216.685.9000 today!

Archived