Rumor: Cuts To Come This Week?

MikeJetsWord

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/24/jets-wont-re-sign-players-before-march-4-but-cuts-are-coming/

Jets won’t re-sign players before March 4, but cuts are coming

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 24, 2011, 7:31 PM EST

Woody Johnson, Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum

Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum confirmed Thursday that the Jets don’t plan to re-sign any of their free agents like Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards before the end of the league year on March 3.

There will be some cuts coming, however, Tannenbaum indicated.

When asked about Vernon Gholston, Tannenbaum said they still had a “couple of days” before making any final decisions on cutting players. Jason Taylor is expected to be released, but Tannenbaum wouldn’t go into details.

“There are some loose ends we want to get taken care of by the end of the league year,” Tannenbaum.

Other than the Raiders, not many teams are signing players right now. But the impending work stoppage isn’t going to stop some interesting names from being cut over the next 10 days.

Interesting if true. Considering the source, who knows... BUT, I wonder who is up for consideration to get the axe? Obviously some guys like Jenkins, Woody, and BT could be on the block...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/24/jets-wont-re-sign-players-before-march-4-but-cuts-are-coming/

Interesting if true. Considering the source, who knows... BUT, I wonder who is up for consideration to get the axe? Obviously some guys like Jenkins, Woody, and BT could be on the block...

Jenkins, Woody and Thomas are the guys most likely to be dumped if they don't redo their deals. The guys that are getting cut soon are the ones with bonuses coming due. I don't think Woody or Thomas do, so they are probably safe for the time being. Gholston and Jenkins do, so they are the ones in imminent trouble. I have read that Taylor is a goner. I'm not sure of his bonus situation, but he could get up to $10M if he hits all his escalators.

An interesting one is Pace. I know he redid his deal to presumably take advantage of the uncapped year. Jason's site has him as costing money against the cap to cut in 2011.. If that's true he's he's safe, but he makes a lot of money for his production.

Jenkins, Woody and Thomas are the guys most likely to be dumped if they don't redo their deals. The guys that are getting cut soon are the ones with bonuses coming due. I don't think Woody or Thomas do, so they are probably safe for the time being. Gholston and Jenkins do, so they are the ones in imminent trouble. I have read that Taylor is a goner. I'm not sure of his bonus situation, but he could get up to $10M if he hits all his escalators.

An interesting one is Pace. I know he redid his deal to presumably take advantage of the uncapped year. Jason's site has him as costing money against the cap to cut in 2011.. If that's true he's he's safe, but he makes a lot of money for his production.

As far as I know JT did not reach his escalators for the deal. I think it was 7.5 sacks. Had he hit the threshold a portion of his 2011 salary would become guaranteed and could earn a 10 million dollar non guaranteed bonus. That was also tied in with playing time, but I doubt he got enough to qualify. Im sure part of the issue is cap related as some teams clearly believe that cutting a player before March means no cap charge in 2011 if football is played. Most years cutting a player now means you pull their dead cap forward into the league year. If that is the case it could put Pace in a tougher spot.

Archived