Cimini: Call em the Jersey Jets

flgreen

Call 'em the Jersey Jets

April, 29, 2011

Apr 29

1:39

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets seem to be building an all-state team -- New Jersey, that is.

A year ago, they used their first-round pick on CB Kyle Wilson, who grew up in Piscataway and attended Boise State. On Thursday night, the Jets went to the Garden State once again, selecting Linden's Muhammad Wilkerson, who played at Temple for three years.

Fun fact: Wilkerson told me in a recent interview that he faced Wilson in a high-school game.

On Thursday night, Wilkerson was surrounded by family and friends at a restaurant in Linden. He said there were 80 to 90 guests.

"I didn't grow up a Jets fan, but right now I'm a Jet," Wilkerson said on a conference call with reporters. "I'm proud. I'm happy."

Actually, Wilkerson grew up a Giants fan, with an older brother that owns Giants season tickets. His favorite Giant is Justin Tuck, which makes sense. Both defensive lineman, both versatile enough to play tackle and end.

Wilkerson visited Florham Park a couple of weeks ago and came away with a positive feeling about the Jets.

"I thought it was going to happen," he said. "I had a great visit and did the workout for them and when that 30th pick came around, I just had the feeling they were going to pick me."

This marks the second straight year that GM Mike Tannenbaum used a first-round pick on a player from a non-BCS school. Wilson struggled as a rookie, looking lost at times. Some scouts say Wilkerson is unpolished and may need time to develop. He's only 21, so he has time.

Day 2: Barring a trade, it'll be another late night for the Jets on Friday. They don't have a second-round pick; it was traded to the Chargers last offseason for CB Antonio Cromartie, so they have to wait until the bottom of the third round before selecting again.

The Jets already play in Jersey, why not, right? I'm tired of sharing a stadium with those Giant chumps. There's way too many Giants and Eagles fans in jersey. It's a market that the Jets can take!

Archived