Cimini: Mangold on Lockout

flgreen

Mangold on lockout: Be safe and bond

May, 19, 2011

May 19

3:45

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

When Jets C Nick Mangold first heard the date for Shaun O'Hara's charity golf outing -- it was Wednesday in Bedminster, N.J. -- he wondered if it would conflict with an OTA practice.

Ha.

There are no OTAs, no minicamps, no classroom sessions, no team conditioning, no nothing -- all because of the lockout.

Mangold told a couple of reporters, including our man Ohm Youngmisuk, that the players' goal during the lockout should be to "stay in shape and be as safe as possible. You don't want to have any crazy injuries come up. It's a tough situation that no one has really dealt with before."

Mangold said he was impressed with the turnout at Mark Sanchez's recent "Jets West" camp in Southern California, but he couldn't resist a friendly jab at his teammate.

"He had a good dry run last year, getting guys out there," Mangold said at the rain-soaked golf outing, hosted by the Giants' center to benefit cystic fibrosis. "I think Mark has done a fantastic job. The only thing is, I wish he would've given me a little bit of a heads-up. Maybe I could've made it out there. At least this year he invited me, so that's a start. Maybe next year I'll get more of a heads-up."

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on the value on these player-organized workouts. Mangold believes "it's a great barometer of where we are, the way we interact with each other, the way we care about each other."

Mangold on lockout: Be safe and bond

May, 19, 2011

May 19

3:45

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

When Jets C Nick Mangold first heard the date for Shaun O'Hara's charity golf outing -- it was Wednesday in Bedminster, N.J. -- he wondered if it would conflict with an OTA practice.

Ha.

There are no OTAs, no minicamps, no classroom sessions, no team conditioning, no nothing -- all because of the lockout.

Mangold told a couple of reporters, including our man Ohm Youngmisuk, that the players' goal during the lockout should be to "stay in shape and be as safe as possible. You don't want to have any crazy injuries come up. It's a tough situation that no one has really dealt with before."

Mangold said he was impressed with the turnout at Mark Sanchez's recent "Jets West" camp in Southern California, but he couldn't resist a friendly jab at his teammate.

"He had a good dry run last year, getting guys out there," Mangold said at the rain-soaked golf outing, hosted by the Giants' center to benefit cystic fibrosis. "I think Mark has done a fantastic job. The only thing is, I wish he would've given me a little bit of a heads-up. Maybe I could've made it out there. At least this year he invited me, so that's a start. Maybe next year I'll get more of a heads-up."

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on the value on these player-organized workouts. Mangold believes "it's a great barometer of where we are, the way we interact with each other, the way we care about each other."

Every fan of a team that doesn't do them, or does them on the cheap (not mentioning any names) will bash the benefit of them. So far, it seems the Jets are the only team to do it right. Haters gonna hate.

Archived