Sanchez: Jets Planning full-team workout

flgreen

Sanchez: Jets planning full-team workout

May, 25, 2011

May 25

11:04

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Earlier this month, Mark Sanchez organized "Jets West" -- five days of informal workouts for the Jets' offensive skill-position players at his old high school in Mission Viejo, Calif.

Now it appears that "Jets Rest" is coming soon --as in, the rest of the team.

The Jets' quarterback, in an interview Wednesday night on the NFL Network, said the entire team is planning to gather in June for a lockout "camp." Sanchez didn't say where or when the workouts would occur, offering no details, according to a transcript provided by the network.

Sanchez said Jets West, which attracted about a dozen teammates, "was exactly what we needed from an offensive skill standpoint, and now it’s moving on to getting the whole team together. That will be sometime next month.”

Normally, teams would be in the middle of their OTA practice schedule, but the lockout is threatening to wipe out the entire offseason, forcing players to scramble. Save for Jets West, most of the Jets are working out as individuals or in small groups.

Sanchez received rave reviews for his "Jets West" camp, which included conditioning, classroom work and on-field drills. That the players stayed in oceanfront villas, no doubt, added to the appeal.

Also in the interview, Sanchez expressed confidence that his trio of free-agent wide receivers -- Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Brad Smith -- will be re-signed.

“I honestly do," he said. "I think that’s what Mike Tannenbaum does best and he’s the best GM in football. Mr. [Woody] Johnson, that’s part of his job. And Rex, that’s keeping all of us together. He wants the offense to run smooth, he wants us to pick up where we left off and to do that, we need all of our guys back. I think that would be the best-case scenario.”

No word on what Sanchez thinks about the prospect of playing with Randy Moss.

Even though they have a lot of key free agents, the Jets might be in better shape than most teams to withstand the lockout. In Sanchez, they have an entrenched starter who has a two-year foundation in the offensive system. Sanchez said it will be "a staggering task" for rookie quarterbacks to play without the benefit of the offseason.

"I feel bad for those guys," he said.

Archived