NFL to Allow Tampering This Year

slats

Steps taken to eliminate Tampering Season

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 22, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT

n-asomugha2.jpg?w=136

AP

Tampering Season won’t be necessary when the lockout is lifted. Instead, contact with unrestricted free agents by all tams will be allowed almost immediately.

We’ve known all along that teams would have a window after the lockout is lifted to re-sign their own players. That’s in the deal. We didn’t know that teams would be able to talk to any free agent they choose during the period.

In theory, the Texans could be negotiating with Nnamdi Asomugha by 2 p.m. ET on Saturday if the players ratified the CBA Friday. (Only the Raiders would be able to sign Asomugha before Wednesday.)

It’s the right move and likely a sea change in how the NFL handles free agency. Tampering ran rampant before previous free agent periods, with teams negotiating contracts before contact was allowed. Now the NFL appears to be adopting an NBA-style model where free agents can negotiate with anyone they want well before they can sign.

We know the players haven’t ratified the CBA yet. But we also know DeMaurice Smith and his executive committee negotiated and accepted these terms or they wouldn’t be part of the package. It’s player-friendly and these terms will be part of the agreement when it happens.

The realists out there would point out Tampering Season is already happening out there. That’s true, but the NFL still took steps to eliminate flagrant rule-breaking by changing the rules.

They needed to enforce the rules or change them and finally did something about it.

Found this interesting, and in my mind I think it makes it more likely that players will sign during this three day window coming up. They'll already have a realistic idea what they might be worth on the open market, and therefore more likely to accept something close that's on the table now. Teams will also have a better idea of what agents will be asking for other teams' potential UFA's, which I think could result in them looking to lock up whoever they can. It should lead to clubs making real offers, rather than lowball offers - at least for players they have a genuine desire to keep.

Found this interesting, and in my mind I think it makes it more likely that players will sign during this three day window coming up. They'll already have a realistic idea what they might be worth on the open market, and therefore more likely to accept something close that's on the table now. Teams will also have a better idea of what agents will be asking for other teams' potential UFA's, which I think could result in them looking to lock up whoever they can. It should lead to clubs making real offers, rather than lowball offers - at least for players they have a genuine desire to keep.

I agree, except with your top-level guys like Holmes and Cromartie. They gain zero by signing early, especially with so many teams flush with cap space that needs filling. It's good for a dude like Wayne Hunter, who can get a few baseline offers to gain leverage with Tannenbaum, but the top-line guys are still holding all the cards. Damn Tanny and his mercenaries!

I agree, except with your top-level guys like Holmes and Cromartie. They gain zero by signing early, especially with so many teams flush with cap space that needs filling. It's good for a dude like Wayne Hunter, who can get a few baseline offers to gain leverage with Tannenbaum, but the top-line guys are still holding all the cards. Damn Tanny and his mercenaries!

Definitely agree. Guys knowing they could be getting a lot more elsewhere will definitely wait three days to get it. If insane money offers aren't coming their way, though, the home team may be in position to match. It's the guys just below the top band that might look to sign ASAP. They're the ones who could potentially either break the bank, or get left out of the money completely.

Archived