Kevin O'Connell signs with Miami

Jetsfan80

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20110806kevin_oconnell_signs_with_dolphins_his_third_afc_east_team/srvc=home&position=recent

Kevin O’Connell signs with Dolphins, his third AFC East team

By Omar Kelly / Sun Sentinel

Saturday, August 6, 2011 - Added 3 hours ago

DAVIE, Fla. - Kevin O’Connell is on the third leg of his AFC East tour.

The Dolphins’ newly signed quarterback was drafted in the third-round of the 2008 draft by the New England Patriots [team stats]. After being released a year later the New York Jets [team stats] traded with the Lions to get this San Diego State product, and he spent two years with the Dolphins’ biggest rival.

After spending the first week of training camp unemployed the Dolphins signed O’Connell to a one-year deal on Friday.

"He came in and was able to make the transition pretty easy," coach Tony Sparano said. "But he threw it well, first and foremost."

However, Sparano admitted what impressed him the most was O’Connell’s ability to recall the offense that was being thrown at him.

"I know the teams we’re going to play twice a year, but at the end of the day I’m just going to start with today," said O’Connell, who played in two games his rookie season, completing 4-of-6 passes for 23 yards.

The Dolphins liked O’Connell a lot in the 2008 draft, but selected Chad Henne 37 spots before he was taken.

Despite his early draft selection, O’Connell has become a NFL journeyman, and he’s one that’s battling an injury considering he tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder last season.

"My first year in New England I had a pretty good camp, and a pretty good rookie year. But I just didn’t transition well in my second year. I took a step backward. I had a good time in New York. Learned a lot from those guys up there," O’Connell said. "Going into my fourth year I’ve played behind some good players, guys who have helped me become a better player. I’m looking to transition here and compete."

The Dolphins released Tom Brandstater to avoid carrying five quarterbacks in camp.

Taylor the teacher

In his third tour of duty Jason Taylor has spent just as much time instructing his teammates on the finer points of pass rushing as he has hunting quarterbacks.

Taylor, the NFL’s active sacks leader, can regularly be spotted giving Koa Misi pointers on his footwork and the use of his hands.

"Instead of bashing his head against the wall (Misi) has got to learn to set guys up," Taylor said of Misi, who started 12 games last season and contributed 41 tackles and 4.5 sacks.

Sparano said adding veteran players like Taylor to practice has provided "a different energy," and is helping to "set a good example for those young guys."

Even though Clyde Gates’ speed makes him the fastest Dolphin, the rookie is no shoe-in to make the game day roster.

According to Sparano, Roberto Wallace remains the receiver to beat for what’s usually the final game day roster spot, keeping the role he held most of 2010 because of his special teams contributions.

"I consider (Wallace) the odds on favorite," Sparano said.

Archived