Wilson hopes to bounce back

Jetsfan80

Confident again, Jets' Wilson hopes to bounce back

AUGUST 9, 2011, 7:24 P.M. ET

Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Kyle Wilson had a rough introduction to life in the NFL as a rookie with the New York Jets.

The first-round pick out of Boise State got lots of playing time early, but struggles affected his confidence to the point that he was passed on the depth chart. Frustrated by what went on last season, Wilson dedicated the offseason to not letting that happen again.

He worked out in Arizona with teammate and All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, who says Wilson has improved a lot since this time a year ago. Coach Rex Ryan says Wilson is "a different guy."

The Jets hope that carries over to the regular season so Wilson can team with Revis and Antonio Cromartie to potentially form one of the best cornerback trios in the league.

—Copyright 2011 Associated Press

I hope he does. I think the expectations of this kid were too high, playing alongside Revis didnt help the situation from a fan perspective. Wish him luck and success.

Also, everyone was paying close attention to him all of TC and preseason last year because of the whole Revis drama. This year everyone is caught up in the lockout, the free agency/trade madness (who we got, who we lost)... Allowing wilson the space to work on his game and make himself better, rather than having everyone compare him next to Revis on every defensive snap.

It's a breath of fresh air reading stuff like this. Revis saying Kyle Wilson has improved a lot since this time a year ago followed by Rex Ryan making it known that Wilson is a different guy are all signs of improvement if you were to ask me.

Now, I miss having a slot WR such as Wayne Chrebet. Hopefully Kerley can one day fill that void, but I also miss having a tremendous nickel back such as Ray Mickens like no tomorrow. It's been a while. I wanted Cromartie locked up in the worst way, because I've had high hopes for Kyle Wilson himself. Hopefully Kyle Wilson can become our very own Ray Mickens out of the nickel.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6848500/kyle-wilson-took-advantage-opportunity-train-darrelle-revis-lockout

Wilson made most of lockout with Revis

After struggling as a rookie, the Jets' CB jumped at the the chance to train with the best

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Some players escaped to tropical islands for parts of the NFL lockout. Kyle Wilson opted for a different kind of island.

Revis Island.

In late spring, the New York Jets' second-year cornerback spent a month with the best cornerback on the planet. Darrelle Revis invited Wilson to train with him at his favorite offseason facility, Fischer Sports in Phoenix, and Wilson's bags were packed before he hung up the phone.

Well, not really, but close. After a shaky rookie year, the Jets' 2010 first-round pick jumped at the opportunity to hang out with Revis. This was akin to an aspiring director being asked to spend a few days on the set with Clint Eastwood.

You go. You listen. You learn as much as possible.

"If you want to pick a guy to shadow to get yourself better, (Revis) isn't a bad choice," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Tuesday.

Say this for Wilson: He's eager to improve. He picked up and moved to Arizona, on his dime, working out with Revis and trying to think like Revis. Physical training aside, they spent an inordinate amount of time studying tape, mostly of wide receivers on the Jets' 2011 schedule.

Revis let Wilson into his world, sharing his insider secrets. He taught Wilson the importance of reading body language, how a receiver can tip his intentions. How you can tell if it's an out-breaking route by which leg is up in the receiver's stance. How you can determine if your man is the No. 1 read by his demeanor as he breaks the huddle.

Wilson went to Revis' offseason hideaway and, right there in the desert, discovered a fountain of knowledge.

"To bond with him, I thought that was big," said Wilson, who soon will be moving his locker so he can be next to Revis. "When he called, I said I'd be there."

Wilson entered the league with a lot of hype, but he got roughed up by the Miami Dolphins in Week 3 and eventually lost his nickel-back job to Drew Coleman. More than his job, Wilson lost his confidence, according to his coaches. A cornerback without confidence is a gun slinger without a gun.

"It got a little overwhelming for him as a rookie," Pettine said.

After the season, the Jets' coaches did an intensive breakdown of Wilson's 2010 performance, evaluating every play. Removed from the week-to-week intensity of the season, they were able to look at him objectively and they determined that it was better than they thought. Reports of his rookie struggles were "overblown," according to Pettine.

On the first day of training camp, secondary coach Dennis Thurman summoned Wilson to his office and apologized. It's not often a coach will do that, but Thurman felt it needed to be said. Wilson thanked him.

"Yeah, we lost a little confidence in him, but we were trying to win games and the expectations were high," said Thurman, explaining why Wilson dropped on the depth chart. "When we looked at the cut-ups in the offseason, we saw that Kyle played pretty well overall."

But not well enough to prevent them from re-signing Antonio Cromartie to a four-year, $32 million contract, eliminating any chance of Wilson becoming a starter. He will remain a backup, but the nickel back could end up playing 50 percent of the snaps because so many teams use three-receiver offenses.

Wilson prefers not to look back on his rookie year, but when pressed, he said, "Great learning experience and two words for it: Last year.

"I know I can play," he continued. "I strive for greatness. That's all I know, that's all I've been doing my whole life. It's nothing new."

Hanging with Revis was new. From 9 to 5, every day, they pushed each other. In the weight room. On the track. In cornerback-specific drills.

"I pushed him as hard as I could and I'm going to continue to push him as much as I can," said Revis, who sees it as a pay-it-forward gesture that began with the veterans that helped him when he broke in. "I'm trying to be a good mentor, get him in the right playing mode. I want to watch him become great."

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6848500/kyle-wilson-took-advantage-opportunity-train-darrelle-revis-lockout

Wilson made most of lockout with Revis

After struggling as a rookie, the Jets' CB jumped at the the chance to train with the best

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Some players escaped to tropical islands for parts of the NFL lockout. Kyle Wilson opted for a different kind of island.

Revis Island.

In late spring, the New York Jets' second-year cornerback spent a month with the best cornerback on the planet. Darrelle Revis invited Wilson to train with him at his favorite offseason facility, Fischer Sports in Phoenix, and Wilson's bags were packed before he hung up the phone.

Well, not really, but close. After a shaky rookie year, the Jets' 2010 first-round pick jumped at the opportunity to hang out with Revis. This was akin to an aspiring director being asked to spend a few days on the set with Clint Eastwood.

You go. You listen. You learn as much as possible.

"If you want to pick a guy to shadow to get yourself better, (Revis) isn't a bad choice," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Tuesday.

Say this for Wilson: He's eager to improve. He picked up and moved to Arizona, on his dime, working out with Revis and trying to think like Revis. Physical training aside, they spent an inordinate amount of time studying tape, mostly of wide receivers on the Jets' 2011 schedule.

Revis let Wilson into his world, sharing his insider secrets. He taught Wilson the importance of reading body language, how a receiver can tip his intentions. How you can tell if it's an out-breaking route by which leg is up in the receiver's stance. How you can determine if your man is the No. 1 read by his demeanor as he breaks the huddle.

Wilson went to Revis' offseason hideaway and, right there in the desert, discovered a fountain of knowledge.

"To bond with him, I thought that was big," said Wilson, who soon will be moving his locker so he can be next to Revis. "When he called, I said I'd be there."

Wilson entered the league with a lot of hype, but he got roughed up by the Miami Dolphins in Week 3 and eventually lost his nickel-back job to Drew Coleman. More than his job, Wilson lost his confidence, according to his coaches. A cornerback without confidence is a gun slinger without a gun.

"It got a little overwhelming for him as a rookie," Pettine said.

After the season, the Jets' coaches did an intensive breakdown of Wilson's 2010 performance, evaluating every play. Removed from the week-to-week intensity of the season, they were able to look at him objectively and they determined that it was better than they thought. Reports of his rookie struggles were "overblown," according to Pettine.

On the first day of training camp, secondary coach Dennis Thurman summoned Wilson to his office and apologized. It's not often a coach will do that, but Thurman felt it needed to be said. Wilson thanked him.

"Yeah, we lost a little confidence in him, but we were trying to win games and the expectations were high," said Thurman, explaining why Wilson dropped on the depth chart. "When we looked at the cut-ups in the offseason, we saw that Kyle played pretty well overall."

But not well enough to prevent them from re-signing Antonio Cromartie to a four-year, $32 million contract, eliminating any chance of Wilson becoming a starter. He will remain a backup, but the nickel back could end up playing 50 percent of the snaps because so many teams use three-receiver offenses.

Wilson prefers not to look back on his rookie year, but when pressed, he said, "Great learning experience and two words for it: Last year.

"I know I can play," he continued. "I strive for greatness. That's all I know, that's all I've been doing my whole life. It's nothing new."

Hanging with Revis was new. From 9 to 5, every day, they pushed each other. In the weight room. On the track. In cornerback-specific drills.

"I pushed him as hard as I could and I'm going to continue to push him as much as I can," said Revis, who sees it as a pay-it-forward gesture that began with the veterans that helped him when he broke in. "I'm trying to be a good mentor, get him in the right playing mode. I want to watch him become great."

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Great article. Great story. Hopefully it transitions into great play on the field!!

It's a breath of fresh air reading stuff like this. Revis saying Kyle Wilson has improved a lot since this time a year ago followed by Rex Ryan making it known that Wilson is a different guy are all signs of improvement if you were to ask me.

Now, I miss having a slot WR such as Wayne Chrebet. Hopefully Kerley can one day fill that void, but I also miss having a tremendous nickel back such as Ray Mickens like no tomorrow. It's been a while. I wanted Cromartie locked up in the worst way, because I've had high hopes for Kyle Wilson himself. Hopefully Kyle Wilson can become our very own Ray Mickens out of the nickel.

I hope you're not serious about Mickens.

Archived