Jets Breakdown-Does Christian Hackenberg have a shot to start?

Gas2No99

Does Christian Hackenberg have a shot to start? | Jets Breakdown

By Connor Hughes and Darryl Slater

The Jets have signed Josh McCown. They're flirting with UNC quarterback Mitch Trubisky. Does Christian Hackenberg even have a shot to start in 2017?

That and more discussed in this week's Jets Breakdown.

the-new-york-jets-host-the-new-york-gian
Tackling hot topics on the Jets

We're trying something a little bit new here on *J Adv*nc* M*di**. For the first time, our beats Connor Hughes and Darryl Slater will have a little back-and-forth on some hot-button topics surrounding the Jets. You'll see the question, and both of their takes on it. 

On tap today? Christian Hackenberg's chances of starting, why there wasn't any pursuit of Colin Kaepernick, did the Jets make the right move signing Josh McCown, and more. 

John Munson
seattle-at-san-francisco-83f57dca6a07f28
Why not Colin Kaepernick?

QUESTION: It seems like the Jets explored countless options at the quarterback position, but ex-49er Colin Kaepernick wasn't one of them. Why? Wouldn't he have been a good fit?

HUGHES: Colin Kaepernick's fall from grace is kind of crazy, isn't it? Not long ago he was tearing up the NFL and looked to become the new face of the league. Then Jim Harbaugh left, and he hasn't been the same. 

In my opinion, Kaepernick wasn't an option for the Jets because he just isn't a very good quarterback anymore. He doesn't fit what they need. The Jets wanted a pocket quarterback with some experience in a west coast offense who could mentor Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Look at who they looked at -- Jay Cutler, Brian Hoyer, Chase Daniel, Josh McCown. All fit that role (except maybe Cutler as a mentor).

Kaepernick is not a pocket quarterback. He's not a mentor. He doesn't have legitimate experience in a west coast scheme. Not to mention, he was dreadful last year. Don't look at the stats. They're skewed. Go watch the film and you'll see what I mean. 

SLATER: Kaepernick was one of many so-so to bad free agent quarterback options for the Jets. But in that pool of players, he certainly wasn't the worst. Far from it. While I'm not surprised the Jets didn't look seriously at signing him, I think they should have.

And I disagree with the notion that he can't mentor young quarterbacks. Who knows more about scrutiny and pressure than Kaepernick, after what went on last season (and the backlash he received) with his anthem protest? Yes, he isn't the traditional graybeard quarterback mentor type. But he knows the ropes in the NFL, in good times and bad, and he definitely could pass down some wisdom. 

He is unquestionably a better and more productive player than Daniel. Is McCown better than Kaepernick? Saying that definitively is absurd. It's an arguable point, I suppose. 

Yes, Kaepernick isn't a very good quarterback, but neither is McCown or any of those other guys. The West Coast offense and pocket-passing quarterback points you made are valid ones. But the notion that the Jets are going to win any more games with McCown than they would have with Kaepernick is flawed. 

the-new-york-jets-host-the-new-york-gian
What are Christian Hackenberg's odds?

QUESTION: The Jets drafted Christian Hackenberg in the second round last year. It doesn't seem like anyone is giving him a chance to start. Why not? Does he have one?

HUGHES: I think he's got a chance, sure. But going off what I saw from him during organized team activities, minicamp and training camp, it's probably not a very good one. Christian Hackenberg has a ton, and I mean a ton of talent, but he is so, so raw. He's likely going to need two full seasons before he's ready to realistically compete. 

From where he was the last time I saw him, I can't imagine he has progressed enough -- considering the Jets now have a new offense and offensive coaching staff -- to be a contender. But I've been wrong before. 

SLATER: Is Hackenberg ready to start right now? Probably not. We both saw how much he struggled last summer. Does he really have a ton of talent? Probably too early to say that.

As you alluded to, the Jets knew he was a developmental quarterback when they drafted him. Which is why, in a vacuum, his chances of starting in 2017 are likely slim. But here's the thing: The Jets need to get an in-game evaluation of this guy at some point.

Josh McCown surely won't be back in 2018. And the Jets have to determine if they'll need to draft a quarterback next year (presuming they don't drat one this year). So I think Hackenberg will get at least some starting action in 2017 — even though he isn't fully ready — if only because the Jets need to figure out, as best they can, what they actually have in this kid. 

josh-mccown-110f7c81ef792ce7.jpg
Was signing Josh McCown the right move?

The Jets signed veteran quarterback Josh McCown. He'll compete to be the Week 1 starter. Was it the right move? Or should they have gone with someone else?

HUGHES: I touched on this a bit here (Clicks for Connor!), and I still feel the same. I like the move. Considering what was left on the open market, I feel McCown was the best fit for the Jets. He's a more talented player than Case Keenum and Matt McGloin, and he's a better mentor than Colin Kaepernick and Jay Cutler.

But I do feel Chase Daniel was a better fit. It seems like the Jets quarterback decision came down to McCown or Daniel. They had McCown in for a visit over the weekend, then Daniel on Monday. After presumably meeting with both, general manager Mike Maccagnan picked McCown. 

OK. That's fine. But, in my personal opinion, I thought Daniel was the better fit. Maybe money prevented this from happening? Maybe Daniel wanted a promised starting job? A million things could have lured the Jets away. But the pros of Daniel, in my opinion, are a bit more than McCown. Mostly because of his background.

SLATER: A more talented player than Case Keenum and Matt McGloin. Well, that's a ringing endorsement there, isn't it? I do think McCown will be a perfectly acceptable mentor, and definitely better than Cutler in that regard. (Again, the idea that Kaepernick can't be a mentor is flawed.) Keenum, McGloin, and Daniel aren't NFL starting quarterback material. McCown at least has some legitimate starting experience. 

Daniel has been in the NFL since 2009. He has started two games. Two. If he had what it takes to start, somebody would've given him a chance to do it at some point. Daniel would not have been a better option than McCown. I do think Kaepernick would've fit just as well as McCown, though. 

Overall, I'm fine with the signing. It's a cheap, one-year contract. McCown can be a mentor. Honestly, no matter who the Jets would've signed out of this crummy free agent quarterback bunch, it really wouldn't have mattered. This team is probably going to stink in 2017 anyway. 

mitch-trubisky-4e761da8209ace23.jpg
Where should the Jets go in the NFL Draft?

HUGHES: Anywhere but defensive line. Seriously. You can make the argument for any other position. I like the idea of going with one of the two safeties -- Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams. A cornerback could be good, too. I'm also not against snagging LSU running back Leonard Fournette. A young quarterback's best friend is a good running game. So why not give (insert QB here) some help?

I'm also not against the Jets drafting a quarterback, if they fall in love with Deshaun Watson or Mitch Trubisky. 

SLATER: I mostly agree. A team with this many needs has a lot of legitimate options at No. 6. Expect the Jets to ultimately take the "best player available" route and avoid drafting a quarterback, considering even the top-line guys like Trubisky and Watson aren't regarded as sure-thing prospects. Plus, I think the Jets will want to see what they have — with a thorough evaluation — in Hackenberg before they draft another quarterback. The guys to watch for the Jets at No. 6 are Hooker, Adams, and Fournette, as you mentioned. I'd also add cornerback Marshon Lattimore, presuming the Jets feel comfortable with his history of hamstring injuries. 

nfl-buffalo-bills-at-new-york-jets-de3af
Has this offseason been a success?

QUESTION: It seems like the Jets' offseason was quiet. They cut a bunch of guys -- Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold -- but haven't really replaced them. Would you say this has been a good offseason so far?

HUGHES: I'd say it has been a needed offseason. The Jets had to rebuild. So they did. They got rid of the aging veterans, and are starting to usher in the new age. It hasn't been a perfect offseason, though. The Jets missed on some guys they really wanted. Nick Perry returned to the Packers, Tony Jefferson to the Cardinals, Dont'a Hightower's deal fell through because of injury concerns. 

Because of this, I don't know if I would say it has been good. But much needed. 

SLATER: Yeah, it's not like the Jets have made enough big-splash acquisitions to term this a "successful" offseason so far. This is also worth remembering: The Jets' current regime wants the foundation of its rebuild to be the draft. How many times have we heard Mike Maccagnan say that? And since the draft hasn't even happened yet, it's impossible to make a complete evaluation of this offseason. The Jets, so far, have done what they needed to do — shed veterans and cap hits, and add value free agents without investing too much long-term in veterans. Again, the Jets want to build through the draft, so let's see how the draft plays out. That's a big part of any offseason for any team, and especially for this current Jets group. 

Archived