Let's look at Jets OL after the Fashanu pick.....

56 minutes ago, Origen said:

Whoever it is, I want to see the primary 5 guys playing TOGETHER all preseason and in any scrimmages and such.  I'm tired of seeing them put backups out all preseason for the O-line to play the first 4 games of the year like they've never been in the same room together.

I totally agree, but AVT may not be healthy/ready to start the season, and they may have Smith and Moses on snap counts.  I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing the starting 5 play all that much before the start of the season.

• Upvote 3

With the extra picks they got I can't see them getting a quality OT. Players like Rosengarten, Foster, and Amigade will be gone. I don't like Sumataia and Paul. So much not so good tape. But a player like Blake Fisher, Dominic Puni, Matt Gonclaves and Christian Jones will be available. If you want a guard I would hope to see Zak Zinter and Trevor Keegan still there when we are up.    

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I totally agree, but AVT may not be healthy/ready to start the season, and they may have Smith and Moses on snap counts.  I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing the starting 5 play all that much before the start of the season.

It's going to be tough for an OG to come back from a torn Achilles in less than 10 months. The position requires you to push off that tendon on essentially every play while taking on 300+ lb DTs.

Even if he does manage to be ready for the start of the season, he is almost certainly going to be eased in like Breece was last summer.

Smith and Moses being older vets, also coming off injuries, are likely going to be on a pitch count as well.

It sure feels nice to have a blue chip rookie OT to plug in.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

I think that at this point Jake Hanson would be #9.  He's not as versatile as Newman, but I think at this point is the better player.  I don't want McGovern back.  He was one of, if not THE worst, centers statistically last season.

There are some good IOL prospects that could be available for the Jets in the 4th-5th rounds: Tanor Bortolini (C/OG), Charles Nourzad (C), Chris Mahagony (OG), and Zak Zinter (OG).  I hope that the Jets will take one of them.

They may give Mitchell one more season, but I haven't seen anyything that would indicate that he's ever going to develop into even a quality backup, much less a starter.  The only reason I think Carter Warren should get another year or two is that he was a rookie last season.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

With the extra picks they got I can't see them getting a quality OT. Players like Rosengarten, Foster, and Amigade will be gone. I don't like Sumataia and Paul. So much not so good tape. But a player like Blake Fisher, Dominic Puni, Matt Gonclaves and Christian Jones will be available. If you want a guard I would hope to see Zak Zinter and Trevor Keegan still there when we are up.    

I agree.  I think Amigadjie will go in the 2nd or in the early part of the 3rd round.  Rosengarten could go in the 2nd or early 3rd.  I like Suamataia and Paul, but I think they will go in the 2nd round.  I would be shocked if JD takes another OT in this draft.  If he does, I would love for it to be either Amigadjie or Rosengarten, but they need a WR more.  I  hope that they won't waste a pick on the likes of Fisher, Foster, Goncalves, Jones or Puni.  I'd rather see them use one or two of the 4ths and a 2025 pick to move up into the 2nd round to get a WR, then use the 3rd and 4th to take an IOL and a 2nd WR or a TE (Conklin will be a FA next year). Then they can grab a S or DT in the 5th round, and a couple of STers with their 6th and 7th round picks.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's going to be tough for an OG to come back from a torn Achilles in less than 10 months. The position requires you to push off that tendon on essentially every play while taking on 300+ lb DTs.

Even if he does manage to be ready for the start of the season, he is almost certainly going to be eased in like Breece was last summer.

Smith and Moses being older vets, also coming off injuries, are likely going to be on a pitch count as well.

I couldn't possibly agree more!

1 minute ago, JKlecko said:

I agree.  I think Amigadjie will go in the 2nd or in the early part of the 3rd round.  Rosengarten could go in the 2nd or early 3rd.  I like Suamataia and Paul, but I think they will go in the 2nd round.  I would be shocked if JD takes another OT in this draft.  If he does, I would love for it to be either Amigadjie or Rosengarten, but they need a WR more.  I  hope that they won't waste a pick on the likes of Fisher, Foster, Goncalves, Jones or Puni.  I'd rather see them use one or two of the 4ths and a 2025 pick to move up into the 2nd round to get a WR, then use the 3rd and 4th to take an IOL and a 2nd WR or a TE (Conklin will be a FA next year). Then they can grab a S or DT in the 5th round, and a couple of STers with their 6th and 7th round picks.

I watched so much tape of Paul and Suamataia. I Watched Paul on tape and at the Senior Bowl and Practices. On tape he constantly holds. Even at the senior bowl Practices. But he has the perfect body for a tackle. He has long arms and he is tall. But sometimes he loses his balance since he blocks high. He needs a real good offensive line coach. No way I pick him in the 2nd. Same as Sumataia. I watched more film on him and he baffles me. He blocks perfectly on one play. He bends great and then another play his foot work is all over the place. And he can't pick up certain moves by the edge rusher. Like the pull slide move. Forget it when it came to the spin move. The Edge rusher was gone and he was still looking ahead. He is more of a guard. Again I wouldn't pick him in either 2 or 3. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I watched so much tape of Paul and Suamataia. I Watched Paul on tape and at the Senior Bowl and Practices. On tape he constantly holds. Even at the senior bowl Practices. But he has the perfect body for a tackle. He has long arms and he is tall. But sometimes he loses his balance since he blocks high. He needs a real good offensive line coach. No way I pick him in the 2nd. Same as Sumataia. I watched more film on him and he baffles me. He blocks perfectly on one play. He bends great and then another play his foot work is all over the place. And he can't pick up certain moves by the edge rusher. Like the pull slide move. Forget it when it came to the spin move. The Edge rusher was gone and he was still looking ahead. He is more of a guard. Again I wouldn't pick him in either 2 or 3. 

I agree on both, except I don't think that Suamataia is more of an OG.  I think he is an OT, he just needs more work, and I don't think he has the ceiling of Fashanu.  With the Jets needs for an OT who could start and play at a fairly high level this year, and with Carter as their OC, I wouldn't have taken Paul or Suamataia in the 2nd round either, even if the Jets had a 2nd round pick.  The problem with waiting is that position groups can fly off the board, especially key ones like OT, QB, CB, and WR.  Aside from Fuaga and maybe Fautanu, I don't think any of the other OTs in this draft who were still available at #11 would have been able to step in and be a reliable starter this year.  Mims and Guyton have too little experience and still have some technique work to do.  Mims has an injury history.  Amegadjie is very raw technically, and will have to adjust to the level of competition.

This is why that I have been so insistent that the Jets had to take an OT in round 1.  Even if they really like one or more of the other OTs, without a 2nd round pick, the odds of their being able to get one that they liked would not be good, and they could have missed out again this year like last year, and they simply could not afford to do that.  Aside from Fashanu, I don't think they would have gotten an OT that could have reliably been their potential long-term starter at LT who also could have helped them this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Significantly improved group.

I'd bring back Newman as he can play center and draft a guard day 3 to develop. 

This unit, outside of Tippy and AVT, needed a complete overhaul.

Dare I say it?

"Thank you Joe Douglas!"

Tippy was a third rounder no? Man wouldn't mind drafting one more like him on this line to cut some more berrios type of lineman we have as back ups

21 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I agree on both, except I don't think that Suamataia is more of an OG.  I think he is an OT, he just needs more work, and I don't think he has the ceiling of Fashanu.  With the Jets needs for an OT who could start and play at a fairly high level this year, and with Carter as their OC, I wouldn't have taken Paul or Suamataia in the 2nd round either, even if the Jets had a 2nd round pick.  The problem with waiting is that position groups can fly off the board, especially key ones like OT, QB, CB, and WR.  Aside from Fuaga and maybe Fautanu, I don't think any of the other OTs in this draft who were still available at #11 would have been able to step in and be a reliable starter this year.  Mims and Guyton have too little experience and still have some technique work to do.  Mims has an injury history.  Amegadjie is very raw technically, and will have to adjust to the level of competition.

This is why that I have been so insistent that the Jets had to take an OT in round 1.  Even if they really like one or more of the other OTs, without a 2nd round pick, the odds of their being able to get one that they liked would not be good, and they could have missed out again this year like last year, and they simply could not afford to do that.  Aside from Fashanu, I don't think they would have gotten an OT that could have reliably been their potential long-term starter at LT who also could have helped them this year.

I do agree with you. Just one left and that is Rosengarten. I'm very impressed by him. Foster has played tough competition at Missouri and has held his own. These two will be the first OT off the board in the 2nd round. 

• Upvote 1

Look for Zinter maybe round 4/5.  IR him.  

I think Max Mitchell is now on the Practice Squad.  The IOL depth needs upgrading, but we also need S and LB in rounds 4 and 5.  Maybe even IDL. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Breece will get 2500 all purpose yards behind this line

Especially if Williams & Wilson can remain healthy this season. I hope MW is ready for TC.

Need a 'Tez Walker to join Brownlee in case he's not ready.

• Upvote 1

The unit looks set for next year and moving forward. Rodgers is well protected and if Olu is as steady as he was throughout his college career (barely giving up a sack and a 1% pressure rate) then whoever replaces Rodgers will have a nice setup as well. Jets did the boring but the 110% correct thing

• Upvote 3

I’m starting to believe this group will pretty much be good the whole season.  Fashanu gives them solid depth at the tackle spots. Tipp as proven the be pretty durable as has Moses and Simpson.  The big question mark is when AVT will be ready and will they pick up his fifth year.  Ihink Mitchell, Warren, and even Newman will be improved from last season.  Newman was thrown in at center so I don’t think McGovern figures into the equation unless the idea is to move tipp to guard.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Assuming the Jets will keep 9, possibly 10 offensive linemen on the active roster in 2024, what does that unit look like right now?

STARTERS (5)

Tyron Smith - John Simpson - Joe Tippmann - Alijah Vera-Tucker - Morgan Moses

Very solid starting 5 with a lot of injury history and concerns.  IF everyone can stay healthy and play together as a group multiple games, this shapes up to be the best OL the Jets have had in years.  IF, is the key word

BACK UP TACKLES (2)

Olu Fashanu  - Carter Warren

Fashanu looks the part for sure at LT and Warren played well at times at the end of last season.   Fashanu is obviously going to make the team, but Warren seems like a safe bet as well.  If we see him working in at OG some in the preseason, don't be surprised 

BACK UP INTERIOR LINEMAN (1)

Wes Schweitzer

Pretty solid veteran backup who can play guard or center.  We have to think he's a pretty safe bet to make the team as well

So, that's 8 players, who will be the 9th?  Possibilities are:

1. Max Mitchell - More of a G/T than a G/C.  That could hurt his chances, but he has shown some potential in limited opportunities
  2. Xavier Newman - Came in during the injury disaster last year and played Center & Guard in a pinch, not great but a versatile backup
  3. Jake Hanson - Another veteran who came in and contributed last year.  
  4. Chris Glaser - Didn't play as much as Newman or Hanson, but has shown some growth over the years and might be ready to contribute more
  5. Connor McGovern - Last year's starting center who is now an unrestricted free agent.  Jets would probably love to have him back at a reduced contract

SO LONG, SEE YOU LATER

1. Mekhi Becton - I suppose there may have been a small chance he would return on a reduced contract prior to drafting Fashanu
  2. Billy Turner - (see above)
  3. Vitaliy Gurman, Obinna Eze, Austin Deculus - Three offensive tackles with varying degrees of potential.  All three are on the current roster and will likely be fighting for one practice squad spot in the summer

Can Olu start at the Guard position instead of Simpson should he look good in TC or is strictly a T?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Can Olu start at the Guard position instead of Simpson should he look good in TC or is strictly a T?

That’s a fantastic question!  Personally, I think he’s a pure tackle, but that is something we will watch closely to see if he gets any reps at Guard in practice or the preseason 

Whoever it is, I want to see the primary 5 guys playing TOGETHER all preseason and in any scrimmages and such.  I'm tired of seeing them put backups out all preseason for the O-line to play the first 4 games of the year like they've never been in the same room together.
Excellent and on point... Gel as a unit ... This is the way.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I would be surprised if they bring back McGovern. Strictly financial reasons.

I think it comes down to Hanson/Newman/Glaser for spot 9 unless a UDFA surprises. I think Mitchell's days are numbered unless he shines in camp

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Brian O'Neil tore his Achilles week 17 in 2022, he was ready to play week 1 in 2023 and played great.

AVT tore his Achilles week 5. I'm not worried.  I am more concerned about his general ability to stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

That’s a fantastic question!  Personally, I think he’s a pure tackle, but that is something we will watch closely to see if he gets any reps at Guard in practice or the preseason 

I would rather start Olu at RT with Moses as the swing.

• Upvote 1

I read somewhere , that Rogers is absolutely lethal, like a 130 QBR, when not under pressure.   That he is pedestrian when under pressure.  The latter is true of all QB's.   If that is true, then the Jets made the right pick.  I would have loved Odunze but he was gone.  I think Bowers would have been great, but Conklin is a top 1/3 TE with Zach throwing him the ball.

If Rodgers is given time, then Wilson, Williams, Conklin and Hall is plenty of weapons.  I expect round 3 will target a deep WR group and another WR and lineman before the draft ends.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Assuming the Jets will keep 9, possibly 10 offensive linemen on the active roster in 2024, what does that unit look like right now?

STARTERS (5)

Tyron Smith - John Simpson - Joe Tippmann - Alijah Vera-Tucker - Morgan Moses

Very solid starting 5 with a lot of injury history and concerns.  IF everyone can stay healthy and play together as a group multiple games, this shapes up to be the best OL the Jets have had in years.  IF, is the key word

BACK UP TACKLES (2)

Olu Fashanu  - Carter Warren

Fashanu looks the part for sure at LT and Warren played well at times at the end of last season.   Fashanu is obviously going to make the team, but Warren seems like a safe bet as well.  If we see him working in at OG some in the preseason, don't be surprised 

BACK UP INTERIOR LINEMAN (1)

Wes Schweitzer

Pretty solid veteran backup who can play guard or center.  We have to think he's a pretty safe bet to make the team as well

So, that's 8 players, who will be the 9th?  Possibilities are:

1. Max Mitchell - More of a G/T than a G/C.  That could hurt his chances, but he has shown some potential in limited opportunities
  2. Xavier Newman - Came in during the injury disaster last year and played Center & Guard in a pinch, not great but a versatile backup
  3. Jake Hanson - Another veteran who came in and contributed last year.  
  4. Chris Glaser - Didn't play as much as Newman or Hanson, but has shown some growth over the years and might be ready to contribute more
  5. Connor McGovern - Last year's starting center who is now an unrestricted free agent.  Jets would probably love to have him back at a reduced contract

SO LONG, SEE YOU LATER

1. Mekhi Becton - I suppose there may have been a small chance he would return on a reduced contract prior to drafting Fashanu
  2. Billy Turner - (see above)
  3. Vitaliy Gurman, Obinna Eze, Austin Deculus - Three offensive tackles with varying degrees of potential.  All three are on the current roster and will likely be fighting for one practice squad spot in the summer

My prediction.  We'll see Fashanu as the starter at LT before mid-season and we'll see the gritty Wes Schweitzer starting at RG before the season is out.  Not due to poor performance of Tyron or AVT, but injury. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Brian O'Neil tore his Achilles week 17 in 2022, he was ready to play week 1 in 2023 and played great.

AVT tore his Achilles week 5. I'm not worried.  I am more concerned about his general ability to stay healthy.

Hopefully AVT will be ready come training camp. But Rodgers the GM, mentioned in an interview that Olu might be playing a bit of guard…possibly as a temporary stop gap until AVT is 100% healthy.

We’ll see … it’s good to have depth