Spotlight on Kerley

flgreen

Plaxico Burress' injury gives rookie Jeremy Kerley major opportunity in Jets' preseason opener

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 15th 2011, 4:00 AM

For all the free-agent frenzy, lingering questions about Plaxico Burress's left ankle and talk of opening up the passing game the last two weeks, Rex Ryan insists his team will be ready for Monday night's preseason opener against the Texans in Houston.

"We haven't accomplished what we want to do," Ryan said. "We're as hungry and driven as we've been."

When the Jets do take the field, they will do so without Burress, ruled out by Ryan with a sprained ankle after experiencing soreness last week. Right guard Brandon Moore (hip) will also sit, but the performances of Mark Sanchez, now in his third year, and tailback Shonn Greene, expected to take on the role of workhorse, will be monitored closely, even in limited action.

Per Ryan, starters will play approximately one quarter before being pulled for reserves.

"This is when the cream rises to the top," Ryan said. "Guys you think look great on the practice field, they're doing great, they're doing great, then you don't see it on the game field," Ryan said. "Some guys may elevate their play. That's the exciting part."

With Burress, who turned 34 on Friday and has not played since November 2008 after shooting himself in the thigh and spending nearly two years in prison on a gun conviction, sidelined, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will have more opportunities to eye rookie Jeremy Kerley, a multitalented threat at wideout. Kerley, a Hutto, Tex., product and a former star at TCU, has been the talk of camp, topping the depth chart as both kick and punt returner. His role as a receiver, likely from the slot, is still developing as well.

"He's out there making a play a day," Schottenheimer said.

Kerley said he's enjoyed learning among veterans.

"It's an advantage to get out there and learn and watch those guys," Kerley said. "I'm paying attention to every part."

Old faces will appear on the active list, too. Safety Jim Leonhard will test out his right leg in a game for the first time since breaking it in practice last December. Ryan recognizes how anxious the former undrafted free agent is to regain his pre-operation form, but the coach is also being careful with him by not including him as a return man on punts for now.

"(Leonhard) wants to, but we drafted (Kerley) to be a returner," Ryan said. "I don't think (using Leonhard as a return man) is good business."

On offense, Sanchez hopes to synchronize his patterns with the wide receivers corps, which has lost Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery and gained Derrick Mason. Santonio Holmes, who recently signed a $50 million deal, brings sure hands and a captain's mark on the field.

Together, Sanchez and Holmes believe they can build an offense capable of making strides while shepherding new parts into the system.

"If I could play every position on the field, I would," Holmes said.

"Fortunately, I'm just a receiver, and I try to do my job the best. I want everybody else to play that way, too."

Ryan's vision of Super Bowl bliss at season's end revolves around Sanchez, an offense in need of improvement and a defense working toward returning to being ranked the best in the league again. For now, Ryan is measuring progress in moderate terms.

"Let's see who's going to take that step forward," Ryan said.

MARK IT DOWN

As reported in Sunday's Daily News, backup QB Mark Brunell dislocated a finger on his throwing hand Saturday. He will not play Monday night.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/08/15/2011-08-15_jets_take_off_without_plax.html#ixzz1V6LuNJUE

Archived